PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks in camp...

maroonmania
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Notice in several articles I've read that they are making a big deal out of the fact that for the first time in Mullen's tenure we have 4 QBs in Fall camp. However, if the 2 current QB commits do sign with us next February, then our Fall camp next year we will actually have SIX QBs! That will be interesting.

http://djournal.com/sports/hot-stinks-smells-like-cows-bulldogs-farm/

msstate7
08-06-2014, 10:06 AM
It'll just be 5 since dak is going #1 overall this year***

maroonmania
08-06-2014, 10:41 AM

That's true. Very few Heisman winning QBs return for their senior season. :cool:

Irondawg
08-06-2014, 10:41 AM
I think somebody somehow falls out of the mix after the season.

Could be Dak testing the NFL waters although it would take a great season, especially throwing the ball for that to happen.
Could be Staley deciding he want to focus on basketball
Could be Fitz moving to TE
Could be Fitz or Staley realizing they are #4 and not wanting to hang around
could be Williams getting passed for #2 and thinking he'll never get back on the field
Could be one of the recruits de-committing

Either way I think going into next year it will be 5 max

blacklistedbully
08-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Que OleMissGuy and his ilk on national message boards proclaiming MSU fans are, "so delusional they are already predictng their QB wins Heisman and goes #1 in NFL draft! You can't make this stuff up!", because he's too stupid to grasp, "tongue-in-cheek".

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I think somebody somehow falls out of the mix after the season.

Could be Dak testing the NFL waters although it would take a great season, especially throwing the ball for that to happen.
Could be Staley deciding he want to focus on basketball
Could be Fitz moving to TE
Could be Fitz or Staley realizing they are #4 and not wanting to hang around
could be Williams getting passed for #2 and thinking he'll never get back on the field
Could be one of the recruits de-committing

Either way I think going into next year it will be 5 max

I tend to agree. Not sure how it happens, but its hard to believe we'll have six scholarship QBs to start the 2015 season. The way these things work out most often is a guy leaving when a younger guy passes him on the depth chart. Obviously Dak isn't getting passed, but if Damian gets passed by Fitz or Staley I wouldn't blame him for going to UL-L or somewhere similar.

2015 will be a good battle for the backup spot, but the battle to be the starter in 2016 is going to be intense. I hope the next guy separates himself by that time otherwise we'll be in full platoon mode (assuming Mullen is still our coach).

DudyDawg
08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't think Damian will get passed. If I had to bet tho, my money would be on either Fitz moving positions or one of the 2015 guys de-committing/changing position

HancockCountyDog
08-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Am I the only one a little concerned that he could go pro this year?

I expect him to have a monster year. The type of year that will bring NFL attention. Considering the wear and tear a season in Mullen's offense can put on a QB's body, I think it is a legit concern. Then again, Im extremely high on the numbers he will put up this year.

msstate7
08-06-2014, 11:15 AM

I expect him to have a monster year. The type of year that will bring NFL attention. Considering the wear and tear a season in Mullen's offense can put on a QB's body, I think it is a legit concern. Then again, Im extremely high on the numbers he will put up this year.

I want it. I'd love for him to go pro bc it'll mean we had an awesome year. It'll also be a big step for our program. We need a qb in the pros

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I want it. I'd love for him to go pro bc it'll mean we had an awesome year. It'll also be a big step for our program. We need a qb in the pros

+1

Diggs
08-06-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't think Damian will get passed. If I had to bet tho, my money would be on either Fitz moving positions or one of the 2015 guys de-committing/changing position

Call me crazy...

But after watching some practice clips I don't think it will be Fitz. He has the best release form of any QB on roster.

BeastMan
08-06-2014, 11:26 AM
QB is one position where I am completely fine with having "too many" on roster. You can rest assured that if somebody transfers out that it's good attrition. The better the competition, you can guarantee that the guy on the field will have earned it. If you look around at other big programs, they have QBs transfer out regularly. Not a big deal at all.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
good points ... QB's are athletes and usually capable of playing other positions as well

BrunswickDawg
08-06-2014, 12:10 PM
good points ... QB's are athletes and usually capable of playing other positions as well
And while I think Fitz stays at QB - keep in mind he led our Region here on the coast in Receiving as a Jr. Dude is a helluva athlete.

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I think we need to platoon QBs more anyway just from the amount a QB runs in the offense. Most teams platoon RBs but you look at how many rush attempts our QBs have and we need to take some of the hits off them.

Johnson85
08-06-2014, 12:15 PM

I'm not concerned. He's not going to do anything stupid. If he has progressed enough that leaving for the NFL is actually a good move for him, that will mean we had an awesome year. Will hate to lose that last year but if he shows off his passing this year to the point that going pro is a good move, that won't be a bad trade-off.

Johnson85
08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Call me crazy...

But after watching some practice clips I don't think it will be Fitz. He has the best release form of any QB on roster.

I have no clue who it will be, but Fitz beating Staley out pretty much guarantees Staley will transfer or focus on basketball. If Staley beats Fitz out, it pretty much guarantees that Fitz will transfer out or change positions. Whoever is better is better, but Staley being better would probably help MSU out more, as it gives us a chance to have an athletic HBack/WR (I think?) type player that can also be called on for trick plays.

jumbo
08-06-2014, 01:04 PM
It's not as crazy as it looks really. This season we have

Dak - Rs Jr
Williams- So
Fitz- Fr
Staley- Fr

2015 - I think one of the new guys will RS and one will not in order to stagger them. I'm going to right now give the nod to Fitz since he went through bowl & spring practice.

Dak - Rs Sr
Williams- Jr
Fitz- So
Staley- Rs Fr

Williams- Sr
Fitz- Jr
Staley- Rs Fr
Virgil - Fr
Tiano- Fr

I love what Williams did for us last year, but honestly I just don't see him being more than a good backup. I really think Fitz or Staley will pass him by 2016.

PMDawg
08-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Run the diamond formation with Dak, Williams, Staley, and Fitz in the backfield all year next year!********************************************* ***********************************

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
It's not as crazy as it looks really. This season we have

Dak - Rs Jr
Williams- So
Fitz- Fr
Staley- Fr

2015 - I think one of the new guys will RS and one will not in order to stagger them. I'm going to right now give the nod to Fitz since he went through bowl & spring practice.

Dak - Rs Sr
Williams- Jr
Fitz- So
Staley- Rs Fr

Williams- Sr
Fitz- Jr
Staley- Rs Fr
Virgil - Fr
Tiano- Fr

You're off a year on Virgil and Tiano, so next year we will/could have...

Dak - Rs Sr
Damian - Jr
Fitz - So
Staley - Rs Fr
Virgil - Fr
Tiano - Fr

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
I think we need to platoon QBs more anyway just from the amount a QB runs in the offense. Most teams platoon RBs but you look at how many rush attempts our QBs have and we need to take some of the hits off them.

http://i.imgur.com/tMyyOIB.gif

http://i.imgur.com/aDotpg6.gif

HancockCountyDog
08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tMyyOIB.gif

http://i.imgur.com/aDotpg6.gif

I actually think you will see Damien Williams spot Dak some in games where we have a 14+ lead. We simply can't have Dak miss time this year. I don't want Dak running it 10 times against UAB. Screw that. I hope that Dak runs it 10 times in the first 3 games combined.

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I actually think you will see Damien Williams spot Dak some in games where we have a 14+ lead. We simply can't have Dak miss time this year. I don't want Dak running it 10 times against UAB. Screw that. I hope that Dak runs it 10 times in the first 3 games combined.

You think we'll pull our starting QB and team leader with only a two TD lead because we're afraid he might get hurt? Good grief, man. A 14 or 21 point lead can vanish in a hurry these days. You going to prevent defense after halftime too?

maroonmania
08-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Dak - Rs Sr
Damian - Jr
Fitz - So
Staley - Rs Fr
Virgil - Fr
Tiano - Fr

Taking 2 QBs last year made a lot of sense because we had previously missed on a lot of better QBs during recruiting and the position was depleted on the roster. Redshirting one of the 2 from last year puts a QB in every class starting next year and that is really about what you want. Now why we decided to take 2 QBs this year I'm not quite sure but it will work itself out. You should have between 4 to 5 QBs on the roster (ideally a SR, JR, SO and FR and possibly one redshirting). Next year we will be one over that but apparently the staff really likes both Virgil and Tiano.

HancockCountyDog
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
You think we'll pull our starting QB and team leader with only a two TD lead because we're afraid he might get hurt? Good grief, man. A 14 or 21 point lead can vanish in a hurry these days. You going to prevent defense after halftime too?

I'll remember you say that when Dak gets hurt when we are up 14-0 against UAB in the first quarter and he runs another QB draw for a first down on 3rd and 1, when Damien could easily get that yard and he comes up holding his shoulder.

Im not saying you sit him against LSU or A&M. But do you have an actual fear of us losing any of the first 3 games? Shit, with our defense we could punt on 1st down the rest of the game with a 21 point lead in the 2nd quarter.

All kidding aside, I want Dak healthy. Mullen's offense has proven that your QB is going to take hits, and most likely won't finish the season unless you spell him.

jumbo
08-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Dak - Rs Sr
Damian - Jr
Fitz - So
Staley - Rs Fr
Virgil - Fr
Tiano - Fr

you're right, my bad. disregard my post.

Todd4State
08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
I'll remember you say that when Dak gets hurt when we are up 14-0 against UAB in the first quarter and he runs another QB draw for a first down on 3rd and 1, when Damien could easily get that yard and he comes up holding his shoulder.

Im not saying you sit him against LSU or A&M. But do you have an actual fear of us losing any of the first 3 games? Shit, with our defense we could punt on 1st down the rest of the game with a 21 point lead in the 2nd quarter.

All kidding aside, I want Dak healthy. Mullen's offense has proven that your QB is going to take hits, and most likely won't finish the season unless you spell him.

Or unless you have Tim Tebow.

Hopefully Dan realizes that Tebow was an anamoly.

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2014, 04:16 PM

No I don't fear us losing the first 3, but with that logic why not just sit Dak for the whole game?** It's football. Players can get hurt without even getting hit. But you have to play your best guy when the game is still competitive. Up 28 in the 4th quarter? Okay, yeah, sit him. But I don't think you bench a guy in the first half just because you want to keep him healthy.

Coach34
08-06-2014, 04:23 PM
A couple things:

Fitz is a QB- he is not going to switch positions at State

Marshall had a lot more carries than Dakota and didn't miss any time. QB's get hurt a lot more standing the pocket and getting rammed than they do actually on the run. Prepare yourself for Prescott to get 175 carries, 1100-1200 yards rushing- on his way to being 1st team All-SEC QB

shit- Dakota is probably bigger than all of UAB's LB'ers. They better hope he doesn't hurt them

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
A couple things:

Marshall had a lot more carries than Dakota and didn't miss any time. QB's get hurt a lot more standing the pocket and getting rammed than they do actually on the run. Prepare yourself for Prescott to get 175 carries, 1100-1200 yards rushing- on his way to being 1st team All-SEC QB

shit- Dakota is probably bigger than all of UAB's LB'ers. They better hope he doesn't hurt them

we ran Relf to death and it showed after the Auburn game and he never really regained form after that

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
No I don't fear us losing the first 3, but with that logic why not just sit Dak for the whole game?** It's football. Players can get hurt without even getting hit. But you have to play your best guy when the game is still competitive. Up 28 in the 4th quarter? Okay, yeah, sit him. But I don't think you bench a guy in the first half just because you want to keep him healthy.

A couple things:

THIS. The guy is built like a tank. All the fear of him getting hurt is ridiculous. As engie pointed out yesterday, we barely ran him at all against Alcorn last season. This perception that we run him all the time is just hysteria. Dan is smart about how he uses his QBs. Hell, I expect at least 2 of the first 3 to be out of hand enough that Dak probably won't play more than 1-2 series in the 3rd Quarter. But all the constant hysterics about "he might get hurt against [insert shitty team]!!!!!11!!!1!!" has gotten old as shit. It's football. He's just as likely to blow out a shoulder standing in the pocket throwing his first pass of 2014 as he is to stay entirely healthy this season. Not to mention his "injury" last season was one of the most freak injuries ever, yet some of our fans seem to have labeled Dak as fragile. Just utter insanity.

Coach34
08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
we ran Relf to death and it showed after the Auburn game and he never really regained form after that

Ralph had cracked ribs from the hit he took on the goalline vs Auburn. Thats why it took him awhile to get healthy again and why he didnt run it hard until the last 2 games.

PassInterference
08-06-2014, 07:09 PM
QB is one position where I am completely fine with having "too many" on roster. You can rest assured that if somebody transfers out that it's good attrition. The better the competition, you can guarantee that the guy on the field will have earned it. If you look around at other big programs, they have QBs transfer out regularly. Not a big deal at all.

Yep. We can have the best out of a group of guys, or we can be like Ole Miss and only sign other school's breadcrumbs.