PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell: Dak Rushing total

dickiedawg
08-05-2014, 01:02 PM
At lunch the tv had a replay of the BCS MNC game with AU and FSU. It showed Nick Marshall as the 4th SEC QB with 1,000 rushing yards in a season.

BUY or SELL: Dak becomes the 5th this year.

preachermatt83
08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
buy

Coach34
08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm gonna buy also.

I think ink we end up with 2 guys in the backfield with 1,000

THE Bruce Dickinson
08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Buy: He would have done it last season if he didnt get injured.

MaxedOutMaroon
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Not being negative at all, just realistically going to sell that. I believe his arm is going to be really good, plus multiple elite backs; therefore, he will not need to run that much. My prediction is 600-800 yards rushing

Steakonastick
08-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I'll sell. I expect to see Damien play a good bit vs non conference teams. We have to keep dak healthy and his legs fresh. No point in dak taking extra hits with large leads.

MetEdDawg
08-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I'll buy and here's why. There are two ways a QB in the SEC would get that many yards. Attempts and ability. While it's obvious that Dak has the ability with his combination of size and speed, the attempts would be the only thing holding me back. So let's look at that.

Dak is going to be the guy on 3rd or 4th and short probably at worst 75% of the time those happen. Then you have to add in designed runs/reads off zone read which he is very good at getting medium to long gains on. Then you have to figure in busted plays or coverage runs where no one is open and he takes off. So I figure at worst Dak is going to get 12 runs a game. So if we play 13 games, that's 77 yards per game.

If he rushes 12 times a game, he would have to average 6.41 yards per attempt. Most anytime he keeps the ball on a zone read he's gonna get minimum 5 yards. And he's not going to pull it down and run in a downfield coverage situation unless he's going to get decent yardage or needs to convert. So those will most likely be bigger yardage plays.

All that said, if he stays healthy, I think he gets there because he will get the attempts and he's got the athleticism to turn a short or medium gain into a long one.

Homedawg
08-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Buy

RiverCityDawg
08-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Buy

It didn't seem like Dak ran it that much against Rice and he still got 78 yards on 14 carries though 3 quarters. If he averaged that for the year he's at 1300+. I obviously don't think he'll get those numbers against the top teams on our schedule, but I think there's enough wiggle room in there to be comfortable with him being over 1000 if he stays healthy.

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 02:11 PM
I want to sell, but I do feel strongly it could happen. I feel like I've only seen Dak in a few games, so I'm not sure how things will go over the long course of the season. If he always plays like he did vs. Ark and UM, I'm buying. I'm just not sure that's the Dak that Dan will put out there this season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see other quarterbacks get significant pt. Williams looks really good to me. He's got to see the field some this season.

Sell.

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Buy

It didn't seem like Dak ran it that much against Rice and he still got 78 yards on 14 carries though 3 quarters. If he averaged that for the year he's at 1300+. I obviously don't think he'll get those numbers against the top teams on our schedule, but I think there's enough wiggle room in there to be comfortable with him being over 1000 if he stays healthy.

78 x 12 > 1300?

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Buy, although I'm personally hoping to see more of J-Rob, Shump, and Griff in short yardage situations. Those guys are all physical enough to get those tough between the tackles yards that Perk couldn't, thus why Dak's number was called so often in those situations last season.

Coach34
08-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Dak is going to carry the ball more than any RB we have and it has nothing to do with our RB's. It's the way our offense is set up. He is going to run the ball ateast 175 times this season

also take into account our D and us running the clock with a lead in the 4th quarter of games. Also, as another poster pointed out- Dakota was 12/78 vs Rice and only played 3 Q's. That's what you gonna see vs Southern and the other doorknobs we play

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Dak is going to carry the ball more than any RB we have and it has nothing to do with our RB's. It's the way our offense is set up. He is going to run the ball ateast 175 times this season

also take into account our D and us running the clock with a lead in the 4th quarter of games. Also, as another poster pointed out- Dakota was 12/78 vs Rice and only played 3 Q's. That's what you gonna see vs Southern and the other doorknobs we play

I agree with this because of how we split the carries amongst our RBs. I personally wish we'd lean on J-Rob more, but that's not how Mullen and this offense roll.

headcoach98
08-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Not being negative at all, just realistically going to sell that. I believe his arm is going to be really good, plus multiple elite backs; therefore, he will not need to run that much. My prediction is 600-800 yards rushing

I'm actually hoping for this.

MzTerry
08-05-2014, 03:32 PM
78 x 12 > 1300?

78/3 = 26; 26*4 = 104; 104*13 - 1352.

DudyDawg
08-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Shouldn't you be multiplying by 14? You're not accounting for Atlanta......

mparkerfd20
08-05-2014, 03:48 PM
NM... Others beat me to the math.

Coach34
08-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't understand all the not wanting Dakota to run the ball logic. Shit happens. I want Dakita to rush for 1100 yards and throw for another 2700 as he gets in the Heisman discussion. Screw all this holding him back and saving him for shit.

Tebow, Newton, Marshall...Prescott

jumbo
08-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Buy. He almost got there last year despite injuries and not being the starter

RC3
08-05-2014, 04:08 PM
just looking at some of his 2013 stats against decent defenses makes you think he could easily get to that mark. 78 vs USCe; 103 vs LSU; 133 vs Auburn

if he puts up similar numbers this year while taking the majority of snaps in all games, and doesnt get hurt, I will buy. those are two big IFs though

jumbo
08-05-2014, 04:11 PM
he should have 100 in the 4 non-conf games, A&M, Auburn and Arky. That's 700 right there so only needing 300 total against Bama, OM, LSU, Vandy & UK.

Saltydog
08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
to get to play the whole game..........I think we run him less this year overall and he comes up just short.........

smootness
08-05-2014, 06:50 PM
just looking at some of his 2013 stats against decent defenses makes you think he could easily get to that mark. 78 vs USCe; 103 vs LSU; 133 vs Auburn

if he puts up similar numbers this year while taking the majority of snaps in all games, and doesnt get hurt, I will buy. those are two big IFs though

It's really only one if, and I don't think his risk of injury is higher than anyone else who plays with his style at his size.

He will obviously take the majority of snaps and I don't see any reason he wouldn't put up at least similar numbers, so I'm not sure why that's an if.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Sell

RC3
08-05-2014, 07:43 PM
It's really only one if, and I don't think his risk of injury is higher than anyone else who plays with his style at his size.

He will obviously take the majority of snaps and I don't see any reason he wouldn't put up at least similar numbers, so I'm not sure why that's an if.

Smaller "if" in games like USM, USA, Ole Miss etc he is on the bench most of the 2nd half. It's optimistic but if we happen to be up say more than 24 at halftime, I could see him getting the rest of the day off. Certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings. Of course if we have that big of a lead, he should already have his numbers

Coach34
08-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Dan Mullen coached QB's:

2003- Alex Smith rushed the ball 149 times
2004- Alex Smith rushed the ball 135 times
2005- Chris Leak rushed the ball 105 times (only 61 carries the year before)
2006- Chris Leak 77 rushes- Tim Tebow 89 rushes- 166 total rushes by the QB's (NFL RB talent on team)
2007- Tim Tebow rushed the ball 210 times (NFL RB talent on team)
2008- Tim Tebow rushed the ball 176 times (NFL RB talent on team)
2009- Chris Relf 76 rushes- Tyson Lee 74 rushes- 150 total rushes by QB's (future NFL RB on team)
2010- Chris Relf 194 carries (future NFL RB on team)
2011- Chris Relf 123 carries (injured) and Tyler Russell had 33 carries- 146 combined
2012- Pocket Passer at QB that couldnt run
2013- Dakota Prescott 134 rushes despite missing the equivalent of 4 games to injury

Prescott is going to get 175 carries if he remains healthy.

Homedawg
08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
There is only one reason to fear dak getting hurt- and it's because we don't have another dak. Not this nonsense that you can't put your qb in that position or he will get hurt talk. Why is a running qb more likely to get hurt running the ball than a rb? Hell, he's a grown ass man, big and physical. Was anyone worried about boobie getting hurt? No. No difference. Odds are just as good he gets blindsided on a pass play and out for the year as they are him getting put out running the ball.

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-06-2014, 08:13 AM
There is only one reason to fear dak getting hurt- and it's because we don't have another dak. Not this nonsense that you can't put your qb in that position or he will get hurt talk. Why is a running qb more likely to get hurt running the ball than a rb? Hell, he's a grown ass man, big and physical. Was anyone worried about boobie getting hurt? No. No difference. Odds are just as good he gets blindsided on a pass play and out for the year as they are him getting put out running the ball.

Honestly if Dak is healthy it wouldn't be extremely bold to say that he will get 100 yards rushing per game.

I am more worried about his passing...but he seems like he has worked hard over the offseason so hopefully it is better.

engie
08-06-2014, 08:18 AM
We aren't likely to let him run much in the noncon -- especially once the games are out of question. Last year, he only ran 4 times against Alcorn St and 5 against Troy. We're going to keep him in the pocket for awhile and then on the bench unless these teams stick around for a half...

That said, I think he easily gets 1000 yards...

Coach34
08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Dakota made some serious strides last season that you could really see already. He tried to force a
couple of balls in the Egg Bowl that we were fortunate on- but he also threw a couple of beautiful passes that saved our asses and won us the game. Then after - few weeks of bowl practices- he made even more strides- specifically throwing his shorter passes with more touch and less heat. Very noticeable difference in the bowl game.

Now - you have your BearShark fans that say "Dakota looked good because it was Rice" but it was more about his decisions and the touch he used on his passes that have me and others excited.

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-06-2014, 08:34 AM
We aren't likely to let him run much in the noncon -- especially once the games are out of question. Last year, he only ran 4 times against Alcorn St and 5 against Troy. We're going to keep him in the pocket for awhile and then on the bench unless these teams stick around for a half...

That said, I think he easily gets 1000 yards...

At the risk of sounding homerish, I don't think he will run much in the noncon games, but it would not surprise me if when he did run he broke one off for 50+ yards.