PDA

View Full Version : SEC Coaches Dish Anonymously

bluelightstar
08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2014

I always enjoy reading these.

FISHDAWG
08-05-2014, 10:40 AM
I do to ... thanks for posting. It sounds like the other coaches don't really know much more than the national media about us ... that's a good thing

DudyDawg
08-05-2014, 11:41 AM
There was one coach on a lot of the teams that said basically one line like "losing Moncrief hurts" and being brutally honest. Guesses who it was?? Mine is Saban haha

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Is there really at least one coach in the SEC that thinks TSUN has a chance to win the west? Really? What are they seeing that we are missing? I just don't get it. Unless they are trying to blow up the ego of Bucky to make him and the team complacent I just don't get it. I can't find a scenario where they even sniff the west unless the team busses for Alabama and LSU hit head on and the only ones left uninjured are the 3rd string and practice squad players.

1bigdawg
08-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Could it be Mullen or another of our coaches, setting them up for failure when they don't?

codeDawg
08-05-2014, 12:35 PM
One thing I noticed about all these answers is that they are mostly focused on individual contributions. This team has this guy and that team has that guy. While the stars determine your ceiling, the glaring holes are often what put teams on the floor. How many times have Mississippi teams had "the guy" or "the guys", only to fall flat because of crappy plat at OL, DB, or some other position.

Our team has competitive talent at every position this year to give us a high floor, and we should have a few stars that could make the ceiling limitless.

preachermatt83
08-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Yal know these are not actual coaches quotes. C'mon fellas don't be so easily fooled. They have been doing this for years and not ONCE has it ever leaked who said what. Not ONE SINGLE TIME.. Its just the magazine writers sticking some crap in there and passing it off as coach quotes.

DancingRabbit
08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Yal know these are not actual coaches quotes. C'mon fellas don't be so easily fooled. They have been doing this for years and not ONCE has it ever leaked who said what. Not ONE SINGLE TIME.. Its just the magazine writers sticking some crap in there and passing it off as coach quotes.

I was thinking the same thing. Some of them may be legit.

No way some of that crap came from a coach - more like your average messageboard hero.

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Some of them may be legit.

No way some of that crap came from a coach - more like your average messageboard hero.

If that's the case then they interviewed Yancy for most of the TSUN material.

msstate7
08-05-2014, 03:02 PM
My guess is these are the coaches that vote on preseason polls. No way a HC takes a chance of his quote being pinned on him

Johnson85
08-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Probably because nobody cares what a GA says regardless, but even if they did, the quotes are too generic and superficial to really be worth leaking. also, it's in the magazines' best interest to not leak anything because if they just say 'coaches', people seem to assume head coaches (no matter how unlikely that is) and therefore get interested in the articles.

bluelightstar
08-05-2014, 09:43 PM

Actually, my understanding is that they are quotes from members of the coaching staff -- and these are widely covered throughout internet media. These aren't necessarily (and likely aren't) the head coaches, but I'd not be shocked that somebody's cornerbacks coach gives a quote or two to Athlon.

PassInterference
08-05-2014, 09:50 PM

That's what I'm thinking. It reads like a bunch of fluff that doesn't sound anything like anonymous coach talk.

ESPN Mag does or used to have anonymous athlete interviews. Its was honest, frank stuff that people would never say in front of a camera. The Athlon piece reads nothing at all like that. Instead it reads like what Athlon wants its readers reading about their favorite teams.

BossDawg
08-05-2014, 10:12 PM
If that's the case then they interviewed Yancy for most of the TSUN material.

No s#!t. Good Lord that's some mighty fine kool-aid being passed around. I'm exactly like you, I don't get it. What have they done that is making some people so high on them? Surely it's not the LSU game, because LSU and Miles always seem to be on another planet when they play UMiss anyway. They're such a threat and we are so mediocre that they couldn't beat our 3rd string QB nor move the ball AT ALL against our defense....and the one time they actually did move the ball turned out to be a huge embarrassment for Bo Wallace.