PDA

View Full Version : So we are now a no-huddle offensive team...

fishwater99
08-05-2014, 09:26 AM
?It?s hot. It stinks. It smells like cows. It?s a farm,? quarterback Dak Prescott said. ?A little rain makes it muddy. When the mud comes, it?s even worse.?

This year not only brought mud and pads, but a new offensive scheme too.

?With us going no-huddle this year, there?s a lot of guys anxious,? Beckwith said.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2014/08/04/football-farm-mississippi-state/13610347/

C222
08-05-2014, 09:28 AM
?It?s hot. It stinks. It smells like cows. It?s a farm,? quarterback Dak Prescott said. ?A little rain makes it muddy. When the mud comes, it?s even worse.?

?With us going no-huddle this year, there?s a lot of guys anxious,? Beckwith said.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2014/08/04/football-farm-mississippi-state/13610347/

You forgot to add "WHEN IS MULLEN GOING TO BEAT A TOP 20 TEAM!?!?!?!"

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM

I like it...just hope we don't try to get too cute

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I hope we are not no huddle all the time. I like the concept and if we have the momentum and are rolling then by all means go for it. But if it is a tight game with us with a small lead then I would like to see a more methodical approach. Nothing can kill momentum than getting the ball and doing a no huddle three and out and only burning 45 seconds off the clock before putting your defense right back out there.

codeDawg
08-05-2014, 10:00 AM
There is no reason for the team to huddle. All the calls can come from the sideline. Ball control and no-huddle are not mutually exclusive, but you can go fast when you need to if you are accustomed to skipping the huddle.

HancockCountyDog
08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

With our defense and talent, I want us to go no huddle. More possessions means more opportunities for our more talented team to win.

deltadawg99
08-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Going no huddle with our style of offense can really be a benefit to us. The key is having the right QB to run it and get everybody setup.

Pollodawg
08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm kind of excited about it to be honest.

PassInterference
08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
We ran some hurry-up in Relf's last year. It wasn't the whole scheme. It was used when it benefited us.

I think we'll see that again. Probably won't even do it most of the time. I think we'll do it when there's momentum to capitalize on, when there is a defensive package we can exploit, and obviously when the clock is running out.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
We ran some hurry-up in Relf's last year. It wasn't the whole scheme. It was used when it benefited us.

I think we'll see that again. Probably won't even do it most of the time. I think we'll do it when there's momentum to capitalize on, when there is a defensive package we can exploit, and obviously when the clock is running out.

This

thf24
08-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Something I think some of you are missing is that no huddle =/= hurry-up. I think going no huddle is a great move as it will make the defense hesitant to substitute, but I still expect us to move mostly at a ball control pace. And as codeDawg said, it gives us the option of going faster if we need to without changing a whole lot pre-snap.

FISHDAWG
08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
OK - stupid question here so don't be to hard ... would a no huddle make us run a simpler offense ? ...One that would limit our play calling... or if that's the case I guess you could huddle when it's needed

dawgs
08-05-2014, 10:36 AM
I've been wanting us to do this for a long time. It's obvious that HUNH can somewhat neutralize even the best defenses more often than not. Sure Stanford has shut down Oregon the last 2 years, but I've also seen Oregon hang 40+ on Stanford and Bama struggle against HUNH, like Malzahn offenses and manziel offenses. So it's not 100% that HUNH disrupts a great D, but it definitely ups your chances of making noise.

And of course, even late in a close game, Oregon takes their time getting calls from the sidelines. HOWEVER, when you are in that situation, you are preventing the D from substituting unless they are really on the ball. And of you catch them mid-sub, then you exploit it for another 1st down to run more clock.

PassInterference
08-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Another factor here is Dandy Dan our play-caller. He probably feels better about his own quick-decision making in play calling than he did with another guy running the show.

dawgs
08-05-2014, 10:42 AM
OK - stupid question here so don't be to hard ... would a no huddle make us run a simpler offense ? ...One that would limit our play calling... or if that's the case I guess you could huddle when it's needed

Most likely limits it a little, but that just means your offense can nail down like 25 plays and the variations of each and perfect them. Often your success comes from tiring out the D and executing the play perfectly.

codeDawg
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM

I think you probably have to simplify formations. A lot of the problems we had in running it before was getting guys into position. Some of that was blamed on personnel, but scheme likely had a lot to do with it too.

I would love to see us go no huddle 100% of the time so that we are in position to exploit the D via quick snaps when we want to, and when we are ready to. Let's get everybody to the line, get the play in from the sideline, and play our normal game. Quick snaps, audible formations, etc. can come when these guys can get the first part right.

If we can play our regular game from no-huddle, we can be more successful in the quick snap, or two minute offense where we have struggled before.

CadaverDawg
I think it will be used to keep defensive subs from happening, not for going faster really. Maybe on occasion, if we see something we like in a defense we will go faster...especially since there are multiple runs and passes that can be run out of the same zone read set.

That's what Freeze does. He teaches basically one set with multiple plays and variations out of that one set, and then let's the QB read the D to determine which option. Kelly did it at Oregon, Malzahn does it, we will do it. That's where your QB determines the effectiveness of your offense...and I like what ours has between the ears as well as actual skills in comparison to both CBS And Nick Mary Jane Marshall

FISHDAWG
I just don't want to get back into the limited calling we saw under Relf

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Most likely limits it a little, but that just means your offense can nail down like 25 plays and the variations of each and perfect them. Often your success comes from tiring out the D and executing the play perfectly.

Yep. Jackie Sherrill's offense was pretty vanilla, yet we ran those running plays to perfection, from QB, to RB, to OL, to WR. Sometimes being able to run a small number of plays to perfection is much better than being able to run 100 plays decent.

codeDawg
08-05-2014, 10:50 AM

This is what Mahlzon and Freeze both do. They have about 4 base formations they run from and a handful of play options from those formations. They just line up and take what the defense gives them. It is simple, and when you have the guys to do it, it is effective.

Freeze's biggest issues last year were personnel. The D was giving them the run, but they had a hard time running it inside with Scott. That meant a lot of the other routes were covered and Wallace couldn't throw the deep ball anyway. Hence, Captain Bubble screen. Screens and slants were all he had.

fishwater99
08-05-2014, 10:53 AM
You forgot to add "WHEN IS MULLEN GOING TO BEAT A TOP 20 TEAM!?!?!?!"

I don't have to, when you say it.

Also, Mullen hasn't beaten a Top 25 team since 2010, that's 4 years ago...
2010 (with a win over #22 UF)

He is 2-21 vs Top 25 teams, with his other win being over Ole Miss in 2009.

Let's hope this trend changes in 2014. It's Time....

I will be the first person to congratulate Coach Mullen and our Bulldogs when we get a win over a ranked team this fall.

#JustBelieve

RougeDawg
08-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Let me start off by saying Relf is one of my all time favorite Bulldogs and he did great things for us and raised the bar. I think the play calling had more to do with Ralph than it did the offense. From what I remember, he had a difficult time with the entire playbook and was the reason for the limited play calling.

Dak seems to be able to handle the playbook better and make the necessary pre-snap adjustments that will be needed for this offense to take the next step.

Yes, what Cadaver said below. This is the only reason Bucky has been able to win. He does not have the size and speed on offense to compete with SEC defenses, but the No-Huddle, wait on the play at the line approach levels the playing field. Another reason I say Bucky's gimmicks are not as effective in year 3 as year 2. The SEC will adjust to stop this and since this is the only effective Offense for OM, they will not put up the numbers as last year.

msstate7
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I wanna go no huddle, but not necessarily fast. I'd like to be lined up so a defense can't sub, but still run clock

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think it will work for us. We'll see. The main thing I don't want is something so complicated that the players lose focus. On some level, the trick stuff is losing credibility and being reigned in by officials. I'm pretty sure the defense is given time to sub whenever the offense subs. Bottom line for me is I'm in favor of us running good football plays regardless of whether we huddle.

codeDawg
08-05-2014, 11:55 AM
One other thing no huddle give you in a non-quick snap situation is more time to read the defense which is helpful in an option based offense. Now, there is a whole other cat and mouse game with disguising defenses, but that's one more thing the D has to actively do.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 12:24 PM
There is no reason for the team to huddle. All the calls can come from the sideline. Ball control and no-huddle are not mutually exclusive, but you can go fast when you need to if you are accustomed to skipping the huddle.

^^This guy knows what he's talking about. You can be a no huddle, ball control team. No huddle isn't = hurry up.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't have to, when you say it.

Also, Mullen hasn't beaten a Top 25 team since 2010, that's 4 years ago...
2010 (with a win over #22 UF)

He is 2-21 vs Top 25 teams, with his other win being over Ole Miss in 2009.

Let's hope this trend changes in 2014. It's Time....

I will be the first person to congratulate Coach Mullen and our Bulldogs when we get a win over a ranked team this fall.

#JustBelieve

http://i.imgur.com/NTtmUO7.gif

Homedawg
08-05-2014, 12:43 PM
^^This guy knows what he's talking about. You can be a no huddle, ball control team. No huddle isn't = hurry up.

Thank you. Someone finally said it. You choose how fast you want to play, just without a huddle. It's that easy.

fishwater99
08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you. Someone finally said it. You choose how fast you want to play, just without a huddle. It's that easy.

Very true...

HancockCountyDog
08-05-2014, 12:58 PM

The reason the play calling appeared limited is because we couldn't keep the defense off Relf. The offense didn't change, what happened was that defenses were knocking the shit out of Relf and we couldn't keep him healthy.

That won't be a problem this year.

dawgs
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't think it will work for us. We'll see. The main thing I don't want is something so complicated that the players lose focus. On some level, the trick stuff is losing credibility and being reigned in by officials. I'm pretty sure the defense is given time to sub whenever the offense subs. Bottom line for me is I'm in favor of us running good football plays regardless of whether we huddle.

Why wouldn't it work for us? It works for Oregon, Baylor, okie st, a&m, rich rod (even at michigan he had good offenses, they just never had a decent D - HUNH and good D aren't mutually exclusive either). Outside of a&m and rich rod at michigan, none of those programs are traditional recruiting beasts, but they use the system to exploit more stars on opposing teams.

fishwater99
08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
So you are calling Mullen a failure?

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
So you are calling Mullen a failure?

http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

I seen it dawg
08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Damn this thread was going so well

DudyDawg
08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Didn't read everything, so this might have been said, but I would like to see us run a semi no huddle semi muddle huddle. Maybe not always hurrying, but not even huddling if we go slow, especially if we are in a situation like we are gashing a Nickel with the run and take our time but don't huddle so the defense can't sub.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Damn this thread was going so well

Fish had to go full retard on Mullen. Most of us who know football and have any sense realize Mullen is a damn good coach. But Fish doesn't really know football and is the type that thinks just because it's "year 5" or "year 6" for a coach that he should magically be ready to beat these monster teams in the SECW. He doesn't understand things like recruiting cycles, injuries, and a host of other things. This is the first year we finally have the talent and depth to compete with some of these teams.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Didn't read everything, so this might have been said, but I would like to see us run a semi no huddle semi muddle huddle. Maybe not always hurrying, but not even huddling if we go slow, especially if we are in a situation like we are gashing a Nickel with the run and take our time but don't huddle so the defense can't sub.

Pretty sure we'll see exactly that. Once aGAIN, going no huddle doesn't mean you have to go hurry up. You can play at whatever pace you choose without huddling. As you say, it's mostly just to prevent the D from subbing. We're still going to be a ball control offense. Anyone worrying about that needs to chill.

Hypnodawg
08-05-2014, 04:22 PM
With our stable of backs, I like the no huddle. We can put out a formation with a couple of power backs and alternate handoffs. Not let the defense sub and grind them down the field.

Barking 13
08-05-2014, 05:10 PM
With our stable of backs, I like the no huddle. We can put out a formation with a couple of power backs and alternate handoffs. Not let the defense sub and grind them down the field.

Diamond out of the no huddle... run, pass, or zone read.... I need another tissue....

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Why wouldn't it work for us? It works for Oregon, Baylor, okie st, a&m, rich rod (even at michigan he had good offenses, they just never had a decent D - HUNH and good D aren't mutually exclusive either). Outside of a&m and rich rod at michigan, none of those programs are traditional recruiting beasts, but they use the system to exploit more stars on opposing teams.

Heck, if Ole Miss can make it work we should too.

Some of our fans need to be careful not to fall into the "well, it didn't work that one time with a totally different group of players so it will never work at MSU" trap.

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Let me start off by saying Relf is one of my all time favorite Bulldogs and he did great things for us and raised the bar. I think the play calling had more to do with Ralph than it did the offense. From what I remember, he had a difficult time with the entire playbook and was the reason for the limited play calling.

Dak seems to be able to handle the playbook better and make the necessary pre-snap adjustments that will be needed for this offense to take the next step.

Yes, what Cadaver said below. This is the only reason Bucky has been able to win. He does not have the size and speed on offense to compete with SEC defenses, but the No-Huddle, wait on the play at the line approach levels the playing field. Another reason I say Bucky's gimmicks are not as effective in year 3 as year 2. The SEC will adjust to stop this and since this is the only effective Offense for OM, they will not put up the numbers as last year.

Relf couldn't make the throws consistently enough to make it work on a high level. I think he knew the offense- but knowing what to do and actually doing it are two different things. Then the o-line started to get hurt, and we all know the rest of the story.

As far as our offense and Ole Miss:

Ole Miss offense = Briarcrest Christian HS offense.

MSU offense = Oregon.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Is this serious? Several posts said it

dawgs
08-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Some of our fans need to be careful not to fall into the "well, it didn't work that one time with a totally different group of players so it will never work at MSU" trap.

One of the most frustrating mindsets of anyone in any situation. Because a completely different set of players couldn't, the current set of players never will. So dumb.

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Heck, if Ole Miss can make it work we should too.

I didn't say that. I just don't think that's what we should do this season. If we do it and it works, great. If it doesn't work, I won't be saying "I told you so." I'll be on to new and, most importantly , my own thoughts. Also, it doesn't hurt us to have fans who are dense. We can get past that.What worries me more are coaches who act on fan "ideas".

Statecoachingblows**
08-05-2014, 07:09 PM
May have been said but our power backs plus Dak can wear a D down as much if not more than just throwing it all over the field. Our backs and Dak constantly httin the D in the mouth could definitely be to our advantage come the 4th quarter. Just like body shots in boxing, we can wear down the big boys and set them up to throw it over the top. If nothing else it gives us a chance to break their will, as long as we arent going 3n out in 90 seconds.

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
May have been said but our power backs plus Dak can wear a D down as much if not more than just throwing it all over the field. Our backs and Dak constantly httin the D in the mouth could definitely be to our advantage come the 4th quarter. Just like body shots in boxing, we can wear down the big boys and set them up to throw it over the top. If nothing else it gives us a chance to break their will, as long as we arent going 3n out in 90 seconds.

Hasn't been said in this thread. Great post.

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 07:28 PM
I didn't say that. I just don't think that's what we should do this season. If we do it and it works, great. If it doesn't work, I won't be saying "I told you so." I'll be on to new and, most importantly , my own thoughts. Also, it doesn't hurt us to have fans who are dense. We can get past that.What worries me more are coaches who act on fan "ideas".

That's fine. I wasn't trying to single you out. I've seen a couple of people post on here and other MSU boards about how "well, last time we did that it didn't work to well."

Coach34
08-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Why do you need to huddle?

Formation and play is easily called from the sideline. Game dictates speed at which you snap the ball.

I stopped having my teams huddle because there was no need. Plus, it keeps your linemen from having to run back and forth from the huddle- they can get lined up and ready for the next play. Saves them alot of running and energy over the course of a game. Joey Jones the USA HC and former Bama WR convinced me of that at a Nike coaching clinic back in 1998 or 1999

I seen it dawg
08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Is this serious? Several posts said it

Homedawg was backing up a post that codedawg posted 2 hours before. And it took you 6 hours to post this? Youre better than that.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Homedawg was backing up a post that codedawg posted 2 hours before. And it took you 6 hours to post this? Youre better than that.

What?

I said the same damn thing early in the thread, before codedawg, so how is it wrong for me to ask why someone would act like nobody had said it?

You're better than a lot of stuff you say, but I don't call you out.

I seen it dawg
08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
No you made a couple of other good valid points just didn't state that one. Why you call out Homedawg?

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 08:41 PM
No you made a couple of other good valid points just didn't state that one. Why you call out Homedawg?

Read it. Wasn't calling him out...just asking why he said "someone finally said it", when it had already been said. Didn't mean to hurt his feelings. I obviously didn't though bc he never said anything in response...luckily he had you there to fight a nonexistent battle for him though. He doesn't need you to take up for him, and I don't need you policing me. You are blowing it out of proportion as it is.

ETA: I like homedawg. Brings a lot to the board. Hopefully he didn't take what I said as personally as you did.

Pollodawg
08-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I don't see why so many people are against the HUNH. It obviously works more than it fails. Just ask a team that went from 2-10 to 12-2 if it doesn't work. Dak is smarter than Marshall and can throw the ball at least as well as Marshall can.

I seen it dawg
08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Read it. Wasn't calling him out...just asking why he said "someone finally said it", when it had already been said. Didn't mean to hurt his feelings. I obviously didn't though bc he never said anything in response...luckily he had you there to fight a nonexistent battle for him though. He doesn't need you to take up for him, and I don't need you policing me. You are blowing it out of proportion as it is.

ETA: I like homedawg. Brings a lot to the board. Hopefully he didn't take what I said as personally as you did.

I did read it. You were wrong. And I doubt Homedawg gives a shit about you calling him out. Which you did. We disagree completely which is fine and it doesn't make me upset in the least. I didn't take anything personally but don't see why you had to even go to the "is this serious? Several posts said it" when the thread had nothing but quality discussion. No one should have to police you. Police yourself.

Back to the topic hopefully.

I seen it dawg
08-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't see why so many people are against the HUNH. It obviously works more than it fails. Just ask a team that went from 2-10 to 12-2 if it doesn't work. Dak is smarter than Marshall and can throw the ball wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Marshall can.

Adjusted it a little. But as said spot on. Dak is 1000 times the QB Marshall is and I'm probably grossly understating it.

fishwater99
08-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Whatever dude, Now where do you coach football?

C222 brought it up not me.

So will the no-huddle help Dan get that Top 20 win?
I sure hope so.

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Whatever dude, Now where do you coach football?

C222 brought it up not me.

I sure hope so.

C222 was being sarcastic/facetious. Your dumbass actually believes the shit you spew. You're the Will James/Pioneer of football, minus actually bringing good statistical analysis to the board. Also, learn to use the damn "quote" button. It's as bad as trying to figure out who Goat is replying to.

dawgs
08-06-2014, 03:59 AM

We got a better shot running no huddle than not.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2014, 06:55 AM
I did read it. You were wrong. And I doubt Homedawg gives a shit about you calling him out. Which you did. We disagree completely which is fine and it doesn't make me upset in the least. I didn't take anything personally but don't see why you had to even go to the "is this serious? Several posts said it" when the thread had nothing but quality discussion. No one should have to police you. Police yourself.

Back to the topic hopefully.

Get over yourself. We were already back on topic until you had to bring it back up.

I'm sorry, homedawg.

Oh yea, homedawg didn't respond because he probably knows I meant nothing ill by my comment. Your power trips are ridiculous. You're like a cop that pulls people over for going 72 in a 70, while people are getting murdered in the other half of your patrol area.

I don't need you to tell me what to post. I broke no rules, so get over it. And now I've apologized to homedawg, but will not apologize to you. After all the crazy shit you post in your tirades to Will James and others, for you to have the nerve to call me out over the post you're calling me out over, is laughable. Get. Over. Your. Self.

NOW, let's carry on the discussion.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2014, 06:57 AM
I don't see why so many people are against the HUNH. It obviously works more than it fails. Just ask a team that went from 2-10 to 12-2 if it doesn't work. Dak is smarter than Marshall and can throw the ball at least as well as Marshall can.

I think it's the "hurry up" part people hesitate about. I actually like hurry up in spurts, and I think that's how Dan will use it. We'll never go hurry up like Oregon, so no need to worry about it. My main thing is not getting too cute.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=Coach34;222888]Why do you need to huddle?

Formation and play is easily called from the sideline. Game dictates speed at which you snap the ball.

early in the year before everyone has fully caught on, or implementation of more complicated plays, or during substitutions of the 2nd deep the huddle gives the linemen or backs a chance to confer on blocking assignments ... recvrs & qb a chance to confirm routes, OL guys get tired also, plus it gives the play caller a little more time for consdireation .... bunch of reasons to huddle

Coach34
08-06-2014, 08:57 AM
A lot of times the blocking call is not going to be made until the defense lines up anyway.

fishwater99
08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
C222 was being sarcastic/facetious. Your dumbass actually believes the shit you spew. You're the Will James/Pioneer of football, minus actually bringing good statistical analysis to the board. Also, learn to use the damn "quote" button. It's as bad as trying to figure out who Goat is replying to.

I started the thread with no mention of how Mullen can't beat a ranked team and the C222 had to be a smartass...
Then you have to chime in too...

Pollodawg
08-06-2014, 10:57 AM
At any rate, I like the idea of No huddle even if we don't always use he hurry up. The two aren't mutually exclusive. That's been hashed on here numerous times.

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 11:13 AM
I started the thread with no mention of how Mullen can't beat a ranked team and the C222 had to be a smartass...
Then you have to chime in too...

You could have easily let it go. Instead, you chose to go full retard. Do you REALLY believe Mullen can't beat a Top 20 team? Here's the type of subtlety your dumbass doesn't understand: With the way the SEC is right now, we're either playing a Top 10 team or a team that's #20 or lower. Hell, we just had a season 3-4 years ago where the #1-#3 teams in the nation were all IN OUR DIVISION. But yeah, "Mullen can't beat a Top 20 team." You really think if we played a team in that #11-#20 range, like Notre Dame or AZ State for instance, we wouldn't beat them? You're damn right we'd beat them. Hell, we gave perennial powerhouse Michigan their worst beating in school history.

Rankings aren't an entirely accurate indicator of how good a team is. It's possible to be much better/much worse than your ranking. That's especially true in the SEC and SECW. You're playing the elite teams in the nation every single week. A 7-5 SEC team is better than most corresponding 9-3, 10-2 teams. I'd say we're a Top 15 program right now. The SEC is a very different animal than it was 10-15 years ago. But you don't know football, so you can't understand that.

fishwater99
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
You could have easily let it go. Instead, you chose to go full retard. Do you REALLY believe Mullen can't beat a Top 20 team? Here's the type of subtlety your dumbass doesn't understand: With the way the SEC is right now, we're either playing a Top 10 team or a team that's #20 or lower. Hell, we just had a season 3-4 years ago where the #1-#3 teams in the nation were all IN OUR DIVISION. But yeah, "Mullen can't beat a Top 20 team." You really think if we played a team in that #11-#20 range, like Notre Dame or AZ State for instance, we wouldn't beat them? You're damn right we'd beat them. Hell, we gave perennial powerhouse Michigan their worst beating in school history.

Rankings aren't an entirely accurate indicator of how good a team is. It's possible to be much better/much worse than your ranking. That's especially true in the SEC and SECW. You're playing the elite teams in the nation every single week. A 7-5 SEC team is better than most corresponding 9-3, 10-2 teams. I'd say we're a Top 15 program right now. The SEC is a very different animal than it was 10-15 years ago. But you don't know football, so you can't understand that.

Just like we beat a #13 ranked OSU last year or a #20 Northwestern the year before. Are you retarded?

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Just like we beat a #13 ranked OSU last year or a #20 Northwestern the year before. Are you retarded?

I'll give you OSU. Although TR getting concussed on the 1st series certainly changed things. Dak got thrown in and wasn't ready yet. Defensively, we held them to 21 points. I said it at the time, and I'll say it again: If you'd told me prior to that game we'd hold their offense to 21, I'd have said we won that game by AT LEAST 2 TDs.

Northwestern was TR channeling Mike Henig and Dan being too stubborn to go to Dak. We were the better team, minus one player who happens to play the most important position on the field, that particular day. Not to mention that NW was a prime example of a team much better than their ranking and got screwed out of the Rose Bowl.

But whatever, I'm done. You don't understand football, and I can't make you understand. It's like trying to argue with Will James, minus Will's statistical analysis. I guess that makes it more like arguing with Goat.

fishwater99
08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I'll give you OSU. Although TR getting concussed on the 1st series certainly changed things. Dak got thrown in and wasn't ready yet. Defensively, we held them to 21 points. I said it at the time, and I'll say it again: If you'd told me prior to that game we'd hold their offense to 21, I'd have said we won that game by AT LEAST 2 TDs.

Northwestern was TR channeling Mike Henig and Dan being too stubborn to go to Dak. We were the better team, minus one player who happens to play the most important position on the field, that particular day. Not to mention that NW was a prime example of a team much better than their ranking and got screwed out of the Rose Bowl.

But whatever, I'm done. You don't understand football, and I can't make you understand. It's like trying to argue with Will James, minus Will's statistical analysis. I guess that makes it more like arguing with Goat.

So are you admitting your original statement was wrong?
(You really think if we played a team in that #11-#20 range, like Notre Dame or AZ State for instance, we wouldn't beat them? You're damn right we'd beat them. Hell, we gave perennial powerhouse Michigan their worst beating in school history.)
Or are you just making excuses for our coach? I'll just keep giving you facts..

I hope we do beat a ranked team this year, and I do know more about football than you think.
I just think Dan Mullen is an over-rated coach. Time will tell now that he finally has a QB for the only offense he knows.
I really hope I am dead wrong.

Pollodawg
08-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I smell a troll....

Offshore Dawg
08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Here we go again, some of you are starting to sound like "SPS" having a pissing contest. RELAX, some get it and some don't. This is not the only board where people have reading comprehension problems, some only read what they want to attack,

Coach34
08-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Both those games have 1 thing in common- Tyler Russell

Dakota Prescott will get him a few top 25 wins before he is done- just like Ralph did

Pollodawg
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Dakota Prescott will get him a few top 25 wins before he is done- just like Ralph did

He's just like Ralf............Only way faster and with actual passing ability. Season can't get here soon enough, so we can shut some of these people up.

TheRef
08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
He's just like Ralf............Only way faster and with actual passing ability. Season can't get here soon enough, so we can shut some of these people up.

Ralf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_(footballer)

http://i0.statig.com.br/esporte/futebol/4929_1342353161460.jpg

fishwater99
08-06-2014, 12:02 PM

And let's hope it's one of the BIG 3 in the West this year...

dawg27
08-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Boom u said it war machine thank u i do agree 100%.

I seen it dawg
08-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Get over yourself. We were already back on topic until you had to bring it back up.

I'm sorry, homedawg.

Oh yea, homedawg didn't respond because he probably knows I meant nothing ill by my comment. Your power trips are ridiculous. You're like a cop that pulls people over for going 72 in a 70, while people are getting murdered in the other half of your patrol area.

I don't need you to tell me what to post. I broke no rules, so get over it. And now I've apologized to homedawg, but will not apologize to you. After all the crazy shit you post in your tirades to Will James and others, for you to have the nerve to call me out over the post you're calling me out over, is laughable. Get. Over. Your. Self.

NOW, let's carry on the discussion.

Feel better now?

dawgs
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;222888]Why do you need to huddle?

early in the year before everyone has fully caught on, or implementation of more complicated plays, or during substitutions of the 2nd deep the huddle gives the linemen or backs a chance to confer on blocking assignments ... recvrs & qb a chance to confirm routes, OL guys get tired also, plus it gives the play caller a little more time for consdireation .... bunch of reasons to huddle

It takes less energy to know where you're going that it does to react and chase people who know where they're going. That's why Ds get worn down much faster than offenses in HUNH situations. Also, I just refuse to believe all these other programs can whip their offensive players into good enough shape and learn the playbook well enough in the offseason and in camp to run a HUNH, but we need to huddle to take breathers and discuss plays.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;222990]

It takes less energy to know where you're going that it does to react and chase people who know where they're going. That's why Ds get worn down much faster than offenses in HUNH situations. Also, I just refuse to believe all these other programs can whip their offensive players into good enough shape and learn the playbook well enough in the offseason and in camp to run a HUNH, but we need to huddle to take breathers and discuss plays.

I agree ... not saying huddle every play but a huddle has it upside ... I can say that a lot of crap is worked out & discussed in a huddle cause I have seen it myself

dawgs
08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
for those on the fence about being a HUNH offense, this is why some of us have been wanting to do it for years now.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/

This breakdown occurred not because Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers doesn’t know how to match up against an unbalanced set. (He does. I think.) It happened because, against Kelly’s offense, it doesn’t matter what the other coaches know. The 11 defenders on the field need to be able to identify the unbalanced set and call the right adjustments, on the fly, at a super-fast tempo, while worrying about 50 other things.

that's how you beat teams with 5* all over the field like bama and lsu. it'll never be 100% successful (everyone loses some games), but it's by far the biggest equalizer between the elites and the mid-tier CFB programs. much like the 3 point shot can be the great equalizer in basketball.

Barking 13
08-14-2014, 05:32 PM
for those on the fence about being a HUNH offense, this is why some of us have been wanting to do it for years now.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-kelly-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-influence/

This breakdown occurred not because Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers doesn’t know how to match up against an unbalanced set. (He does. I think.) It happened because, against Kelly’s offense, it doesn’t matter what the other coaches know. The 11 defenders on the field need to be able to identify the unbalanced set and call the right adjustments, on the fly, at a super-fast tempo, while worrying about 50 other things.

that's how you beat teams with 5* all over the field like bama and lsu. it'll never be 100% successful (everyone loses some games), but it's by far the biggest equalizer between the elites and the mid-tier CFB programs. much like the 3 point shot can be the great equalizer in basketball.

And Auburn almost played it to perfection last year... even with the lucky breaks..