PDA

View Full Version : Our Staff

DawgPoundRock
08-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Do you guys think we will lose anyone off our staff after this season? If so, who would you like to see replace those coaches?

Big4Dawg
08-05-2014, 09:33 AM
I can see us lose Collins IF we have a good defense as good as we think. Townsend could always leave too.

I don't think we have to worry about losing Hev, Gonzales, Johnson, Hughes, Knox, Turner, or Sallach because of their connection to State/Mullen.

engie
08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Why? Why do this?

This can do nothing positive and could easily be used against us in recruiting.

Coach34
08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Collins would only leave a for a HC position most likely- unless it's a top 10 level DC spot. He has a 2 year deal- so that helps.

maroonmania
08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Do you think a sharknado will hit Starkville and wipe out our entire football team before the season starts? Geez, why do we worry about such things when we haven't even played the first game of 2014.

engie
08-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Collins is currently the 14th or 15th highest-paid DC in the country. Next year, he will be #10 or #11. He will have one of the best defenses in the country likely both of the next two years...

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Do you guys think we will lose anyone off our staff after this season? If so, who would you like to see replace those coaches?

Probably not the best timing with this topic

bulldawg28
08-05-2014, 09:47 AM
We have such pessimistic fans....sheesh. We're about to have a great season an we're talking about losing coaches? These guys must be trolls.

DawgPoundRock
08-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I didnt mean it in a bad way sorry guys, I was asking from the view of if we have the fantastic season we hope to have

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 10:12 AM
I didnt mean it in a bad way sorry guys, I was asking from the view of if we have the fantastic season we hope to have

Don't worry about it, man. The sensitivity of this board is unmatched by any other. If Collins has a great year, I could see a larger program snatch him up. That's not necessarily a bad thing because it shows that coaches can grow and prosper in poor ole Starkville. I don't see a significant chance of others being taken away.

headcoach98
08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Once our defense shines like its suppose to this season, Collins will probably move on after his 2yr contract is up.

maroonmania
08-05-2014, 10:25 AM

My point is, if you are going to worry, worry about how we can accomplish a fantastic season. After we accomplish one THEN you can start worrying about losing coaches. It would be like someone worrying about having to pay taxes if they win the lottery after purchasing a lottery ticket.

engie
08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Collins has a great year, I could see a larger program snatch him up.

What "larger program" would that be? He'll be a top 10 highest-paid DC in the country -- and we can match money with anyone now. When are people going to wake up and realize that we ARE one of the big boys now?

He removed his name from consideration for a Sun Belt head gig last year fwiw...

CadaverDawg
08-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Poor lil ol State

This thread is Turrabull

BiscuitEater
08-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Collins is currently the 14th or 15th highest-paid DC in the country. Next year, he will be #10 or #11. He will have one of the best defenses in the country likely both of the next two years...

Collins is not even listed in the 'Top 25' paid coaches in the SEC ... much less the "14th of 15th" highest-paid in the country. Link ...

Collins is listed as the 195th 'highest paid' on the list of 2013 highest paid CFB assistants. Behind both Womack and Matt Luke. Link ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/assistant/

And, State has the absolute smallest football pay-roll in the SEC. Link ... http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/sec-highest-paid-coaching-staffs/

BiscuitEater
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
What "larger program" would that be? He'll be a top 10 highest-paid DC in the country -- and we can match money with anyone now.

Where are you coming up with this? Can you share some kind of link?

LSU: $4,565,803
Alabama: $4,462,700
Auburn: $3,495,000
Texas A&M $3,392,250
Georgia: $3,294,000
Arkansas: $3,233,000
Florida: $3,211,400
Tennessee: $3,170,000
South Carolina $2,744,600
Missouri: $2,642,500
Ole Miss $2,429,092
Kentucky: $2,425,000
Mississippi State $2,167,775

sandwolf
08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Collins is not even listed in the 'Top 25' paid coaches in the SEC ... much less the "14th of 15th" highest-paid in the country. Link ...

Collins is listed as the 195th 'highest paid' on the list of 2013 highest paid CFB assistants. Behind both Womack and Matt Luke. Link ... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/assistant/

And, State has the absolute smallest football pay-roll in the SEC. Link ... http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/sec-highest-paid-coaching-staffs/

He just got a 2 year deal worth $1.2 million......and based on the USA Today link, that would put him in the top 25.

jimbo352
08-05-2014, 10:55 AM
If we win, many programs will come after our coaches... It's just the nature of the beast. How many off seasons have we had, were we didn't lose at least one assistant?

DawgPoundRock
08-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Poor lil ol State

This thread is Turrabull

Yea, sorry didnt mean for it to spiral like this

Martianlander
08-05-2014, 11:00 AM
We're in good shape. Even down the road if coaches leave to be head coaches, Mullen knows how to hire good people. Successful programs put other people in the network.

jimbo352
08-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Also... I'm not worried about Collins after this year.... He'll try to get a good HC gig, but I think that will most likely happen after 2015. A lot of eyes are on him, seeing how he does the next couple years. If he can put together two great years, he'll get plenty of interviews.

engie
08-05-2014, 11:01 AM

My patience is wearing really thin with you pulling out this antiquated information with last year's numbers. How many times do I have to tell you that it's outdated and you need to catch an update? This is at least the 3rd time I've done it -- and it has OBVIOUSLY had no effect.

Let me google that for you(again). http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=30515
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-01-20/geoff-collins-mississippi-state-two-year-contract-defensive-coordinator-dan-mullen-sec

The rest of our coaches got raises as well.

1bigdawg
08-05-2014, 11:14 AM
I am concerned about this also. If Mullen leaves to coach the Pittsburgh Steelers next year and takes most of the staff with him, we might be stuck choosing between Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher.***

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Poor lil ol State

This thread is Turrabull

Don't get sarcasm much, do you?

yjnkdawg
08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
I am concerned about this also. If Mullen leaves to coach the Pittsburgh Steelers next year and takes most of the staff with him, we might be stuck choosing between Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher.***

LOL Good Post

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Assistants will always come and go. Shouldn't be a big issue.

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 11:49 AM
What "larger program" would that be? He'll be a top 10 highest-paid DC in the country -- and we can match money with anyone now. When are people going to wake up and realize that we ARE one of the big boys now?

He removed his name from consideration for a Sun Belt head gig last year fwiw...

Texas, Bama, Ohio State, USC, Georgia to name a few. He's from GA, so maybe he'd like to go back closer to home and compete for national championships. His chances of being on a national contending team are very slim at State, so maybe he'd like to go to a "larger program" to have that opportunity. He may also want to be a head coach, and if a good opportunity arises in the HC arena, I expect him to take it.

TheRef
08-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Texas, Bama, Ohio State, USC, Georgia to name a few. He's from GA, so maybe he'd like to go back closer to home and compete for national championships. His chances of being on a national contending team are very slim at State, so maybe he'd like to go to a "larger program" to have that opportunity. He may also want to be a head coach, and if a good opportunity arises in the HC arena, I expect him to take it.

Why would the chances of being a national contender be slimmer at MSU than at somewhere else that hasn't been to a National Title game in a long time? We are building the caliber of program that we want. Why wouldn't Collins want to be known as one of the coaches that helped establish MSU as a national contender year-in and year-out?

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Why would the chances of being a national contender be slimmer at MSU than at somewhere else that hasn't been to a National Title game in a long time? We are building the caliber of program that we want. Why wouldn't Collins want to be known as one of the coaches that helped establish MSU as a national contender year-in and year-out?

Man, take off the maroon goggles for a bit. This will be one of, if not the, best teams MSU has ever fielded, yet they'll probably end up with an 8-4 or 9-3 record. I will be tickled with each of those outcomes because I'm not buying into all of the hype. And either of those records will not put State into the playoff. State is still a mid-tier football team. I think contending for national titles isn't out of the question, it's just further down the road. Meanwhile, Bama, Auburn, LSU, OSU, etc remain in national title contention year in and year out. State still hasn't beaten a top tier team (except a 6-6 FL team in '09). State has a ways to go.

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Just bad examples. Hey, ask Manny Diaz how great that Texas job was oh and btw Collins makes as much money as Texas picked Diaz up for for their DC job (about $600K). Oh and Richt will never win a national championship at Georgia. If he hasn't done it by now, he won't. And as long as Saban and Smart are at Alabama, we won't have to worry about that destination either. Nice try though.

TheRef
08-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Man, take off the maroon goggles for a bit. This will be one of, if not the, best teams MSU has ever fielded, yet they'll probably end up with an 8-4 or 9-3 record. I will be tickled with each of those outcomes because I'm not buying into all of the hype. And either of those records will not put State into the playoff. State is still a mid-tier football team. I think contending for national titles isn't out of the question, it's just further down the road. Meanwhile, Bama, Auburn, LSU, OSU, etc remain in national title contention year in and year out. State still hasn't beaten a top tier team (except a 6-6 FL team in '09). State has a ways to go.

How long did it take Auburn to get into Title contention and how long have they been in title contention? Not very long, if you ask a lot of people. '04 was their famous undefeated season in which they didn't go to a BCS bowl. After that season it took them 6 years to get back into National Title Contention and that was with Cam at the helm. Tell you what, if MSU doesn't beat an LSU, Bama, or Auburn this year I'll recant my statement and declare you the winner. Sound good? Until then, I'm confident that with this coaching staff we can become a national title contender.

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Man, I can't wait for this season so we can finally get rid of attitudes like this one....

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Just bad examples. Hey, ask Manny Diaz how great that Texas job was oh and btw Collins makes as much money as Texas picked Diaz up for for their DC job (about $600K). Oh and Richt will never win a national championship at Georgia. If he hasn't done it by now, he won't. And as long as Saban and Smart are at Alabama, we won't have to worry about that destination either. Nice try though.

If Texas and GA hire the right coaches, they'll easily be national contenders. Manny went to work for a buffoon. Regardless, Texas last played for a national title in 2010. Richt can't get it done, yet he was one play away from playing for a national championship in 2012. Smart is mentioned every year for head coaching jobs. He'll take one eventually. Nice try, as well.

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:17 PM
One play might as well be 6,000,000. We were two games away from winning a national title in baseball. See how that goes? Texas IMO will sink to mediocrity and I think Georgia will continue to be an almost under Richt who is a good coach but won't win a national title at Georgia.

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
If Texas and GA hire the right coaches, they'll easily be national contenders. Manny went to work for a buffoon. Regardless, Texas last played for a national title in 2010. Richt can't get it done, yet he was one play away from playing for a national championship in 2012. Smart is mentioned every year for head coaching jobs. He'll take one eventually. Nice try, as well.

If if if...

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
How long did it take Auburn to get into Title contention and how long have they been in title contention? Not very long, if you ask a lot of people. '04 was their famous undefeated season in which they didn't go to a BCS bowl. After that season it took them 6 years to get back into National Title Contention and that was with Cam at the helm. Tell you what, if MSU doesn't beat an LSU, Bama, or Auburn this year I'll recant my statement and declare you the winner. Sound good? Until then, I'm confident that with this coaching staff we can become a national title contender.

It's just a friendly debate; no winners or losers. I think State has a great coaching staff in place, and it will be hard to keep it intact, but if they all stay, eventually I think they will build to national contention. I don't think Auburn is a good comparison because they've been a nationally well-known program for the better part of the century, and they have a history of winning. A six year drought isn't very long when discussing national championship games.

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
If if if...

You're right. MSU is one of the big boys in college football. How stupid of me to think otherwise. Btw, I only had one "if" in that last post. Get it right.

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:26 PM
It's just a friendly debate; no winners or losers. I think State has a great coaching staff in place, and it will be hard to keep it intact, but if they all stay, eventually I think they will build to national contention. I don't think Auburn is a good comparison because they've been a nationally well-known program for the better part of the century, and they have a history of winning. A six year drought isn't very long when discussing national championship games.

They weren't in the national championship game in 2004 because USC and Oklahoma played for it. The next previous championship they had was in 1957 so I would say 1957 to 2010 is a bit of a gap and really if they didn't have Cam that year, they would have gone 8-4 or 7-5. Odds are extremely good had we had Cam we at least make a BCS bowl if not make it to the Championship game. He was that much of a deciding factor for either team that year. I imagine we at the very least wouldn't be having this discussion had that happened...

DapperDawg
08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
They weren't in the national championship game in 2004 because USC and Oklahoma played for it. The next previous championship they had was in 1957 so I would say 1957 to 2010 is a bit of a gap and really if they didn't have Cam that year, they would have gone 8-4 or 7-5. Odds are extremely good had we had Cam we at least make a BCS bowl if not make it to the Championship game. He was that much of a deciding factor for either team that year. I imagine we at the very least wouldn't be having this discussion had that happened...

My turn... Now how does it go again? Oh yeah. If, if, if......

MarketingBully01
08-05-2014, 12:32 PM
You're right. MSU is one of the big boys in college football. How stupid of me to think otherwise. Btw, I only had one "if" in that last post. Get it right.

I'm saying this year we have a shot. Sure, historically speaking we are not one of the big boys but for this year we can make some noise and moving forward. We have the leaders, players and most importantly the schedule to make a significant run. I will also say this. From the player interviews, this is the first time I noticed the players believing it. The leadership of Dak and Brenardik are the big reasons for my optimism. Like i said before, my prediction is 11-1 like Preacher Matt predicted with the one loss to Alabama (hard to beat them there). You can say I look through maroon colored glasses or whatever but the player leadership and Dak as our QB is my main reasons for optimism. We haven't had this since Dan has been here.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

http://i.imgur.com/SxaUCLY.gif

http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ElMQg59.gif

blacklistedbully
08-05-2014, 12:58 PM
If we do as well as many of us suspect, we could be a top-ten program, with a solid foundation for continued growth as a program. I would think that would make us an even more appealing place to work.

ScoobaDawg
08-05-2014, 05:49 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/b0/b024809043d393c028c599614b0078f9e2ede05e5bbea4380a 520497bd05b9fc.jpg

DawgPoundRock
08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
http://youtu.be/wKjxFJfcrcA

geez guys just a question, sorry. This video sums up this thread lol

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 06:05 PM

I agree

BiscuitEater
08-05-2014, 06:13 PM
My patience is wearing really thin with you pulling out this antiquated information with last year's numbers. How many times do I have to tell you that it's outdated and you need to catch an update? This is at least the 3rd time I've done it -- and it has OBVIOUSLY had no effect.

I could find. And, I understand that Collins and the assistants got raises. And, this in the FIRST time you have ever said anything about one of MY posts using old links.

Collins is currently the 14th or 15th highest-paid DC in the country. Next year, he will be #10 or #11.

So, where did you find that CURRENT list of Assistants compensation that puts Collins at 14th or 15th?

RougeDawg
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Why can't we pay upwards of $800k to $1mil for Collins after next year? We just bumped him from $292k to $575K in 2014 and $625K for 2015. Our athletic department and school have more money than they've ever had, not to mention the portion of the Seal donation that was designated for retaining football coaches worthy of the money. I could easily see us going into 7 figures for Collins if he continues on the path he's already embarked upon and keeps our defense tops in the conference and nation. This would also mean Mullen making over $4 mil and us having a couple of 9+ win seasons this year and next. If that's the case our defense will be who they though they were and we will be competing to go to Atlanta both years.

jimbo352
08-05-2014, 09:02 PM
If we do as well as many of us suspect, we could be a top-ten program, with a solid foundation for continued growth as a program. I would think that would make us an even more appealing place to work.

exactly... Which makes this entire debate meaningless... If we do as well as I think we will... Not only will we be in a good spot to keep Collins(and other assistants) if other programs come calling, we will also be able to attract other high quality coaches to fill his spot...

If we have a bad season, no one will call. If we have a good season, tons of coaches will jump at the opportunity to come join bulldog nation... This is very simple, yet some people still over think this.

Schultzy
08-06-2014, 12:27 AM
The college football landscape is changing and in a very good way for MSU dollar wise, you have to change your way of thinking from 2014 forward.
With the defenses he's about to have its gonna take more than a small school job to hire him as a hc. Also, I think UGA just hired a new DC.

engie
08-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Texas - Vance Bedford first year DC. Not getting fired. Head coach is the real DC there. Been with Strong for 7 yrs now and has almost assuredly had options while at Louisville.
Bama - Smart is HCIW at Bama. He's not going anywhere.
USC - Wilcox first year DC. Not getting fired. Was with Sark for 2 years in Washington. As much of a west coast guy as there is. Has had tons of options.
Georgia - Pruitt first year DC. Not getting fired. He's an SEC guy making $850k. The average DC lasts 5+ years under Richt. Not going anywhere.
Ohio St - Luke Fickell. Nuff said. He stuck around even after a stint at head coach there, is from Ohio St, played at Ohio St, and suffice to say he's probably a lifer at Ohio St. Been on staff there since 02. And if not, you have Chris Ash in his first year as Co-DC.

So you listed 5 elite teams "off the top of your head" -- ALL of which are VERY unlikely to be searching for a new defensive coordinator this year. That's 3 first year DCs and a first year co-DC -- a lifer -- and a guy that's prettymuch proven he ain't leaving. Like I said initially -- it's alot harder to project someone to come take him from us at the end of this year than you pretend.

He's already passed up multiple Sun Belt job interviews that he would have likely gotten. And has taken a few interviews before pulling his name from consideration. IMO Collins is only leaving us for a head coaching job in the Big5 conferences + maybe the American...