PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin asking fans about Thursday Night egg bowl

Where'sWaldo
08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
On twitter. For anyone with an opinion now is the time to weigh in.

shoeless joe
08-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Not on twitter but I much prefer the Saturday game. I leave town that whole week and a Thursday game forces me to come back early. However, I do understand the exposure that game kinda gives, not as much now with all the other games and channels to watch them on, but if I was to make the decision it's be a Saturday game.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Saturday is preferable. But I'm cool with it either way. We don't have to have the Thursday exposure anymore with the SEC Network...plus after we kick ass and Dak wins the He15man this year, everybody will know who the hell we are*

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't like it. Fraternities can't have parties, lots of people can't make it due to family obligations, things like that. Love it on Saturday after a few days w the family on thanksgiving

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Personally, I love the Thanksgiving Day matchup. It's most convenient for me, as I have a family reunion in Batesville that day. Then I get to spend the weekend in Waynesboro with the other part of my family. When the game is on Saturday, I always have to cut out early. Plus the game just seems to have an even more electric feel on Thanksgiving Day. But that's just me. I know a lot of others would rather it be on Saturday.

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Why don't we make everyone happy and move the game to Monday early night before MNF starts. That way everyone gets to enjoy their Thanksgiving with the family and we also get to be the only football game on tv for the Dawgs that can't make the game. I am sure ESPN wouldn't mind putting the Egg Bowl on ESPN before the MNF game right?

Belegal
08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I vote no! We don't need Thursday nite game with SEC network! Please play on Saturday

Coach34
08-04-2014, 09:03 PM
It should never be on any other day except Thursday. It's something that should be a national tradition - especially since Texas and A&M stopped playing

PMDawg
08-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I wonder how Todd feels about it?************************

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM
It should never be on any other day except Thursday. It's something that should be a national tradition - especially since Texas and A&M stopped playing

In fairness, we aren't the national programs those two are. It wouldn't be a national tradition, it would just be the game that's on

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 09:14 PM

When the NFLNetwork didn't have a game on I loved having the Egg Bowl on Thursday night. It was fantastic being the only football game on. That isn't the case anymore so I say let everyone enjoy their Thanksgiving with their families and play the game on Saturday or Monday and we can start a new tradition of being the only game on before MNF on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Coach34
08-04-2014, 09:16 PM
In fairness, we aren't the national programs those two are. It wouldn't be a national tradition, it would just be the game that's on

We were making it that back in the late 90's when it was on every year- then we started sucking and they pulled it. We need to get that back

Coach34
08-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Monday and we can start a new tradition of being the only game on before MNF on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

SEC Championship is the Saturday after T-Giving weekend....cant do that

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Not going to be on Monday

LC Dawg
08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I agree. I love the Thanksgiving night game. I hate to wish success on the Bears but I would love for both of us to sustain enough success to make the game a yearly tradition again. I know it's inconvenient for a lot of fans but it was our best tailgate of the year last season. We had about 7 families that had our Thanksgiving meal in the Junction and it was fantastic.

missouridawg
08-04-2014, 09:27 PM
When the NFLNetwork didn't have a game on I loved having the Egg Bowl on Thursday night. It was fantastic being the only football game on. That isn't the case anymore so I say let everyone enjoy their Thanksgiving with their families and play the game on Saturday or Monday and we can start a new tradition of being the only game on before MNF on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Your post was a roller coaster of emotion for me. You nailed the reasoning for not on Thursday.... And thats the NFL. I dont want to compete with them. You then went full retard and suggested Monday.

Friday night after LSU-Ark or maybe now its LSU-aTm wouldn't be a bad spot if Stricklin could pull that off. Saturday would be fine too.

Todd4State
08-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Everyone knows how I feel about it. There's a lot of things I don't like about it from a personal standpoint, but also from a football standpoint as well.

On a personal level- and I think this somehow got twisted around on sixpack by HD- is if we play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving, I'm being asked to choose between spending time with my family and going to a MSU sporting event. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is like that. I'm sure that there are others that have no issue and that's fine. It is what it is. But to me personally, Thanksgiving should be a time that you spend with your family.

Now from a football standpoint here's what I don't like about it. We play a SEC East team on Saturday and then we have a crammed schedule of four days to get ready and I would prefer that we have the full week. I know Ole Miss is in the same boat there.

The second thing I don't like is by playing on Thanksgiving, you potentially limit high school recruits from coming to the Egg Bowl. I'm sure some of them are like me and want to spend time with their family or have families that won't let them go because it's Thanksgiving. You also have the North and South State Championships for high school on Friday, and I'm sure their coaches of those players are not going to want their guys hanging out in Starkville the day before what will be the biggest game of the season up to that point. And yes, I'm sure some recruits will go. But why not maximize the opportunity to use what is our best atmosphere of the entire season?

Todd4State
08-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I agree. I love the Thanksgiving night game. I hate to wish success on the Bears but I would love for both of us to sustain enough success to make the game a yearly tradition again. I know it's inconvenient for a lot of fans but it was our best tailgate of the year last season. We had about 7 families that had our Thanksgiving meal in the Junction and it was fantastic.

If Jackie Sherrill is correct, it's going to be LSU/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving. Even if State and Ole Miss somehow get Bama/Auburn good at the same time.

Todd4State
08-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Ole Miss could do that.**

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Your post was a roller coaster of emotion for me. You nailed the reasoning for not on Thursday.... And thats the NFL. I dont want to compete with them. You then went full retard and suggested Monday.

Friday night after LSU-Ark or maybe now its LSU-aTm wouldn't be a bad spot if Stricklin could pull that off. Saturday would be fine too.

Guess you missed the part I said play it on Monday mid-afternoon BEFORE the MNF game.

missouridawg
08-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Guess you missed the part I said play it on Monday mid-afternoon BEFORE the MNF game.

Didn't miss that at all. Any time on Monday is a turrible idea because of the SECCG.

And even if we did play before MNF, that would be a 4:30 EST start? Awful.

LC Dawg
08-04-2014, 09:53 PM
If Jackie Sherrill is correct, it's going to be LSU/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving. Even if State and Ole Miss somehow get Bama/Auburn good at the same time.

If that's true I wouldn't mind playing on Friday. I would just like a little uniqueness to the game. Playing on Saturday against the Iron Bowl will probably not get us a lot of exposure.

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Didn't miss that at all. Any time on Monday is a turrible idea because of the SECCG.

And even if we did play before MNF, that would be a 4:30 EST start? Awful.

Agree to disagree. I personally love the doubleheader that MNF does to kick off the season. Just throwing out alternative ideas.

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 10:04 PM
If that's true I wouldn't mind playing on Friday. I would just like a little uniqueness to the game. Playing on Saturday against the Iron Bowl will probably not get us a lot of exposure.

Play the game at midnight on Thanksgiving.**

Todd4State
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM

I would be more OK with Friday than I would Thanksgiving. I think we could get the MHSAA to move their playoff games to Saturday without a problem, although that would still affect those recruits in those games depending on if the Egg Bowl is a day vs. night game. That would be my biggest beef with playing Friday.

I can respect wanting the Egg Bowl to be unique. But we have to be careful as a program about doing things for "exposure for the sake of exposure" to the point where we are alienating our fans because we make it a burden for a large percentage of them to go to games. And I'm not just talking about the Egg Bowl, I'm talking about the regular season as well. Personally, I believe the best exposure we can get is from winning and going to bowls which is why I've championed the manageable schedule thing. Because at the end of the day, if you are a player and you see MSU on Thursday and you see MSU on TV, you're going to think "Well, OK". But when you see MSU in a bowl, it's usually the only game on or at least on a holiday but players know that teams in a bowl are winning teams. At the end of the day the best players want to go somewhere that wins. If they want to wear a crazy uniform, they can always go to Oregon and do both- win and wear something crazy. The common denominator is always winning.

I heard Dan at the Extravaganza talking about how when he first got here that people were just talking about "going to bowls" and now they are talking about "winning championships". That attitude is in part because we have now become a consistent fixture in bowl games and that has caused the bar to be raised. It's not because we played Kentucky on random Thursday nights.

And as far as the Iron Bowl- I don't think the SEC will match us or anyone else up against that game. I could be wrong because all of the network and scheduling stuff is new. I'm pretty sure the Iron Bowl will be on at 2:30 on CBS either on Friday (likely) or Saturday.

trob115
08-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Personally, I love having the egg bowl on Thursday. I see the other side too though.

RougeDawg
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
I prefer Thursday for multiple reasons. First and foremost I can't wait to beat those bastards from Oxford each year so Thursday comes before Saturday. I wouldn't pull for those bastards if they were playing Al Qa'ida, Hizballah or Hamas.

Secondly, I have a good bit of OM supporting family members and of rather shut them up sooner than later.

Somewhere in the middle is national exposure. The NFL is off by 5 pm and only college football left. All of you arguing about competing with NFL must be drunk around 2 pm on Thanksgiving.

Next, it gives me an excuse to get away from them earlier on thanksgiving, since I've missed only 2 EB's (home or away) since 99.

Lastly it frees up one of the best deer hunting weekends in north eastern MS where I hunt. I can either relax after we kick their ass which I've come accustomed to, or allow the time with nature to ease the loss. Playing the game earlier, allows more time to celebrate or recover away from work. I much rather celebrate Friday-Sunday.

bluelightstar
08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Somewhere in the middle is national exposure. The NFL is off by 5 pm and only college football left. All of you arguing about competing with NFL must be drunk around 2 pm on Thanksgiving.

I'm almost positive there's a Thanksgiving night NFL game.

ETA: Last year, Pittsburgh @ Baltimore kicked off at 7:30 ET.

Dawg61
08-04-2014, 11:58 PM

There is, been going on for a couple years now. Rouge there's 3 NFL games on Thanksgiving now.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2014, 12:01 AM

We were making it that back in the late 90's when it was on every year- then we started sucking and they pulled it. We need to get that back

Completely agree. Having it on Thanksgiving is the way to go. Feast on turkey for lunch at my family reunion, poke fun at my BearShark family members, then feast on BearShark tears Thursday night. Spend the rest of the weekend alternating between eating and a food coma.

basedog
08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I agree 34!

WinningIsRelentless
08-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Thursday all the way. Todd I hear where you are coming from but the stadium is always jammed backed for the egg bowl in Thursday.

Bubb Rubb
08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
It would be a national tradition, exposing the entire country to the egg bowl hatred. We were well on our way to that in the 90s. It would do a lot of good for both programs. There is no correct answer but that it should be on Thanksgiving night every year.

RougeDawg
08-05-2014, 08:11 AM

So this is the take away you and 61 took from my post? Guess I've failed to notice a Thursday night thanksgiving NFL game because I really don't care for the NFL (besides saints) and I'm either hunting with no television access or at the EB when played on Thursday night.

Did this happen same year they started the Thursday NFL games full time? If rather watch two Mountain West teams play than a NFL game. IMO the pussification of the NFL is turning people away such myself. I hope they don't mess with college in a similar fashion but I fear it is coming.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-05-2014, 08:18 AM
All I have to say
2010: ESPNU, no one watches
2011: ESPNU, see above
2012: see above
2013: Primetime

Saturday you are competing with
OSU-Mich
Iron Bowl
UGA-GT

Most people are burned out on watching football by the time we play at night. I vote Thanksgiving.

archdog
08-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Isn't it 2 Saturdays after the eggbowl?

engie
08-05-2014, 08:30 AM

aTm wants the game on Thursday. They are used to it -- having played Texas on Thanksgiving since 2008. They played them on Friday in 96-08. So, prior to joining the SEC, they last played on that Saturday in 1995, which was still the SWC days.

LSU wants the game on Friday or Saturday. They are used to Friday -- having played Arkansas 10 of 12 on Friday since 2002 -- but never on Thursday.

I'd LOVE that exclusive Friday slot -- but LSU is trying to throw that off for us. I think Slive wants us to flip flop, which would be OK too. aTm gets Thursday one year while OM gets Friday -- State gets Thursday while LSU gets Friday.

I wasn't looking forward to the game on Thursday last year. But it worked out tremendously for me personally when the family celebrated on Wednesday instead. And it didn't interfere with the opening of duck season, which we normally squeeze all together without any sleep...

engie
08-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Isn't it 2 Saturdays after the eggbowl?

It's the next Saturday...

Johnson85
08-05-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't think there is a wrong answer.

If you can do Thanksgiving in the Junction, it's a great experience. It's also great being the Thursday night game. Not as good now that there is an NFL game, but still good. I personally love the THanksgiving game. Even if I weren't able to get to the game to tailgate, I would love having the ability to watch the Egg bowl after Thanksgiving dinner.

The downsides are that it's hard to get to for a lot of people because of family commitments (which may show up in homefield advantage? Never felt like it hurt but we were bad then, so not sure) and it takes away a Saturday game that we can bring recruits to.

Friday seems like a winner if it's an option. Lots of people can still basically do a thanksgiving tailgate and we get TV exposure with much less competition.

FISHDAWG
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Thursday gives us longer to prepare for the SECCG

maroonmania
08-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't really do twitter but Thursday on Thanksgiving is the ONLY Thursday game that I can at least live with because its on a holiday and I usually take off the Friday after anyway and the kids are out of school. Still a pain to work around family get togethers but I can do it. However I don't want to do it if its only going to be on Thursday when we are the host school. If our fans have to inconvenienced going to the game on a holiday then the Black Bear fans should be as well. Would really prefer Friday or Saturday but at least with the Thursday game you do have the advantage of being at home Friday and Saturday to catch all the other games.

archdog
08-05-2014, 09:16 AM
On twitter. For anyone with an opinion now is the time to weigh in.

I say Thursday and only Thursday. It is the perfect time for fans to see the game. They have turkey, do the family thing, and then turn on the TV searching for anything football related. We are the only choice. Last year I saw tons of comments made from non-MSU fans on twitter about the game. Most were talking about how boring the game was, but alteast they were watching us. Note: the comments became very positive once Dak came in the game. That is big for MSU.

archdog
08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
I don't really do twitter but Thursday on Thanksgiving is the ONLY Thursday game that I can at least live with because its on a holiday and I usually take off the Friday after anyway and the kids are out of school. Still a pain to work around family get togethers but I can do it. However I don't want to do it if its only going to be on Thursday when we are the host school. If our fans have to inconvenienced going to the game on a holiday then the Black Bear fans should be as well. Would really prefer Friday or Saturday but at least with the Thursday game you do have the advantage of being at home Friday and Saturday to catch all the other games.

This all day.

drunkernhelldawg
08-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I hate it. Thanksgiving is family time. Football excludes some family. I'd much rather totally enjoy Thanksgiving and look forward to Friday and Saturday games. I like NFL for turkey day.

maroonmania
08-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I say Thursday and only Thursday. It is the perfect time for fans to see the game. They have turkey, do the family thing, and then turn on the TV searching for anything football related. We are the only choice. Last year I saw tons of comments made from non-MSU fans on twitter about the game. Most were talking about how boring the game was, but alteast they were watching us. Note: the comments became very positive once Dak came in the game. That is big for MSU.

Well we weren't technically the only choice. There were still a boatload of people watching Texas vs. Texas Tech during our game last year.