PDA

View Full Version : Three biggest problems last year: Why we will be better

1bigdawg
08-04-2014, 12:15 PM
We had three major problems last year, one with each unit.

Offense: The early injury to Tyler Russell was more devastating than it should have been because Dak was coming off an injury and had not been able to work out with the team in the Spring and most of the summer. He was unprepared to be thrust into the line-up. Then, just as he is coming along, he had the freak injury while trying to make a tackle. Also, the difference in styles between Russell on the one hand and Dak and Williams on the other further complicated things, keeping our offense from finding a rhythm.

We will be better this year because a) Dak has more experience and practice with the team, b) Williams is now a serviceable backup with solid experience in clutch situations and c) all of our QBs are on the same page.

Defense: The big problem last year was being able to get off the field, particularly right before half. We will be better this year because we are a much more veteran team which should be tougher down the stretch, because we are deeper also and because we placed a greater emphasis on conditioning in the off season.

Special Teams: The biggest problem with special teams was not being able to make a field goal. I am optimistic that this will be corrected by having a new special teams coach and by Sobiesk being the main guy, which should take a little of the pressure off.

I have been following the dogs for 40 years and have only been this wooly twice before, so excited I cannot stand it.

The Croom Diaries
08-04-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree with your offensive assessments. I think the defense and special teams blunders are more mental than physical. Hopefully they will be corrected. At least for the defense before the half, I believe the last time it happened was against South Carolina if memory serves, and we were a different team after that game. Maybe there is something to that.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Don't want to give away info from my upcoming Offensive Preview, but I'll be shocked if Sobiesk is kicker this season.

Defense was a product of youth. We were better in the latter part of the season. In fact, I'd say we were the best D in the SEC the last 4 games (Bama, Ark, TSUN, Rice).

Coach34
08-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Defensively- we had youth and injury problems the 1st half of the season. Once we got healthy in the Secondary and Redmond got some game reps- we got alot better on D

Saltydog
08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Use Sobiesk from 40 yards in and Bell from 40 and out. Plus, not sure how the kid from Meeechegan factors in.

bluelightstar
08-04-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree with your offensive assessments. I think the defense and special teams blunders are more mental than physical. Hopefully they will be corrected. At least for the defense before the half, I believe the last time it happened was against South Carolina if memory serves, and we were a different team after that game. Maybe there is something to that.

A&M scored a touchdown with 16 seconds left in the half. Alabama scored with 20 seconds left. Ole miss scored (a special teams touchdown, at least) right before half. Against, good offenses (I'm not including UMiss), our problems really continued.

The Croom Diaries
08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
A&M scored a touchdown with 16 seconds left in the half. Alabama scored with 20 seconds left. Ole miss scored (a special teams touchdown, at least) right before half. Against, good offenses (I'm not including UMiss), our problems really continued.

Ok, never mind then.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Sobiesk had 2 kicks blocked/mishandled last year and only missed 3 total. Take those away two botches and he was 3-4 with a missed pressure kick for a win in the egg bowl. I think he's still got a decent shot at being the guy from inside 40-45. That said, if the Wolverine is worth a damn he may take everyone's spot. Bell is finished as a FG K in my opinion.

One other tidbit that no one every talks about with our kickers last year... Dak was the holder. Dak got hurt. So they changed holders, twice. That impacts everything.

messageboardsuperhero
08-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Here's what I want to see this year- I want us to learn how to win and how to finish a big game. Yeah, we finished against Arkansas and UM, but I want to see us finally win a close one against and Auburn/LSU. It's time.

It just seems like we've had a mental block against those teams (especially Auburn) that just keeps us from finishing strong against them. We've had so many opportunities to close them out, but it just hasn't happened.

ETA: Also, as others said, stop giving up cheap points before the half. Our two minute defense was awful last year.

1bigdawg
08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I want us to learn how to win and how to finish a big game. Yeah, we finished against Arkansas and UM, but I want to see us finally win a close one against and Auburn/LSU.

This team will break through. Mark it down. I still worry about field goals, but talent, depth and experience will stop those late half drives. We have not had that before.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Sobiesk had 2 kicks blocked/mishandled last year and only missed 3 total. Take those away two botches and he was 3-4 with a missed pressure kick for a win in the egg bowl. I think he's still got a decent shot at being the guy from inside 40-45. That said, if the Wolverine is worth a damn he may take everyone's spot. Bell is finished as a FG K in my opinion.

One other tidbit that no one every talks about with our kickers last year... Dak was the holder. Dak got hurt. So they changed holders, twice. That impacts everything.

Excellent point, Hack. Can't believe I didn't think of that. But they sucked even when Dak was holding, so to me, the impact is minimal.

maroonmania
08-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Special Teams: The biggest problem with special teams was not being able to make a field goal. I am optimistic that this will be corrected by having a new special teams coach and by Sobiesk being the main guy, which should take a little of the pressure off.

FG kicking is my absolute biggest concern this year and if not improved could turn a possible 10-2 type season to more like 8-4. I have no real reason to feel it will be any better this year unless there is a new kicker. Sobes didn't look any better in the Spring than he looked last Fall (though granted he only had 6 attempts) and I have no reason to be confident that Greg Knox has any more clue on how to instruct the bad mechanics out of a FG kicker than Mullen does.

chef dixon
08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
I would like to commend you for not mentioning the offensive line like everyone likes to do.

Also, I don't see how it could be any worse than it already was to just start the Michigan kicker. Seriously Dan, just start the new guy and see what happens.

1bigdawg
08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
FG kicking is my absolute biggest concern this year and if not improved could turn a possible 10-2 type season to more like 8-4. I have no real reason to feel it will be any better this year unless there is a new kicker. Sobes didn't look any better in the Spring than he looked last Fall (though granted he only had 6 attempts) and I have no reason to be confident that Greg Knox has any more clue on how to instruct the bad mechanics out of a FG kicker than Mullen does.

Agree with everything you said, but it is very unlikely that we will be worse in FG kicking. At some point, you get better just because the odds of being worse are so low.

maroonmania
08-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Agree with everything you said, but it is very unlikely that we will be worse in FG kicking. At some point, you get better just because the odds of being worse are so low.

Worse? No, I don't expect it to get worse because, as Clark Griswold says, we are already "on the threshold of hell". We made less than 50% of our FGs overall last year and there were only a handful of D1 teams below us in that category in all of college football. But even if we move from the 45% to the 55-60% range we could still easily cost ourselve a couple of wins. We need to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year but I don't have high hopes.

Johnson85
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Also, I don't see how it could be any worse than it already was to just start the Michigan kicker. Seriously Dan, just start the new guy and see what happens.

I would add "stay away from him." Until we have a proven FG coach, we need to refrain from coaching at least half our K prospects. That way if we are actively screwing up, there will be at least one K that is still as good as a good high school kicker.

preachermatt83
08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Don't want to give away info from my upcoming Offensive Preview, but I'll be shocked if Sobiesk is kicker this season.

Defense was a product of youth. We were better in the latter part of the season. In fact, I'd say we were the best D in the SEC the last 4 games (Bama, Ark, TSUN, Rice).

agree completely

BiscuitEater
08-04-2014, 06:15 PM

IS addressing the FG issue.

1) Mullen has given over ST to a ST Coach

2) Dan has been looking at other options for FG kicker ... Michigan WO that has been going through drills and WO from Tupelo. Think they also invited a WO from Texas

Statefan
08-04-2014, 11:00 PM
We had three major problems last year, one with each unit.

Offense: The early injury to Tyler Russell was more devastating than it should have been because Dak was coming off an injury and had not been able to work out with the team in the Spring and most of the summer. He was unprepared to be thrust into the line-up. Then, just as he is coming along, he had the freak injury while trying to make a tackle. Also, the difference in styles between Russell on the one hand and Dak and Williams on the other further complicated things, keeping our offense from finding a rhythm.

http://www.swoonreads.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Jason-Street.jpg

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Worse? No, I don't expect it to get worse because, as Clark Griswold says, we are already "on the threshold of hell". We made less than 50% of our FGs overall last year and there were only a handful of D1 teams below us in that category in all of college football. But even if we move from the 45% to the 55-60% range we could still easily cost ourselve a couple of wins. We need to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year but I don't have high hopes.

Actually, there was no one below us in FG kicking last year. We were literally the worst FG kicking team in the nation last season.