PDA

View Full Version : IT Is Here.....

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 10:12 AM
WMD's Preseason Preview: Defense has arrived at FWTCT. (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/8/4/5962519/wmd-preseason-preview-defense-geoff-collins-benardrick-mckinney-kendrick-market) Click. Read. Post. Let's talk football, gents!

gtowndawg
08-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I just can't see a scenario where we are not very, very good. We just have too much talent and experience along with a combo of good team chemistry.

I think we win 9, maybe 10. We're a top 15 team for sure.

TheRef
08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
I just can't see a scenario where we are not very, very good. We just have too much talent and experience along with a combo of good team chemistry.

If we can beat Auburn and TAMU, we could easily be a 10-win team.

The Croom Diaries
08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I wonder how much time Will Redmond will get. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Love and Calhoun on the field at the same time more than a few times this year.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I wonder how much time Will Redmond will get. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Love and Calhoun on the field at the same time more than a few times this year.

Me either, which is why I think we could see some 4-2-5. He and Calhoun are both big and physical enough to be a hybrid S in that scenario. The "problem" is that our LBs are beasts, too. Hard to justify taking one of them off the field for a DB, at least against the physical teams like LSU and Bama. I could see us doing it against some of the spread teams like aTm, though. And that's one thing I pointed out, we have the personnel and depth to mix-and-match against various opponent styles every week. I fully expect us to play multiple schemes throughout the year. Hell, I'm struggling not to pick us as the best D in the entire SEC.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Shameless lunch time self-promotion bump.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
nice assessment and well thought out ... on your point about K Market I would like to say that while N Whitley gets a lot of credit for us getting bowl eligible .... with out that game saving tackle by Market against Kentucky we don't go to a bowl either ... he was the last line of defense on that play and he came through big time

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
nice assessment and well thought out ... on your point about K Market I would like to say that while N Whitley gets a lot of credit for us getting bowl eligible .... with out that game saving tackle by Market against Kentucky we don't go to a bowl either ... he was the last line of defense on that play and he came through big time

No doubt. If Market doesn't manage to trip up the UK RB, he's off to the races for 6. I know Hughes was the game 1 starter last year, but until I see evidence that he's 100% of what he was pre-Achilles rupture, I think it's a little crazy to believe that he'll just steamroll his way past Market into starting or that Market is just going to roll over and let him start. But at the very least, Hughes will bring some much needed depth to the S position. We're going to rotate a lot of players on D this season regardless, due to our extreme depth. We literally almost have enough depth to rotate in an entire 1st string/2nd string like we did with the '99 DL, but for the entire D. That's a scary thought for opposing offenses.

Another thing about Market is that he's got a very good football IQ. He's not the biggest or fastest or hardest hitter, but the guy is almost always in the right place at the right time. And despite not getting an INT last season, he's got a pretty good nose for the football, too. He had 2 INTs as a RS FR two years ago. The idea we took Market just to get Snoop is hilarious. Dude can flat out PLAY some football.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 01:19 PM
We may get to a point this year where teams no longer sit in the pocket against us. With the DTs we have wreaking havoc up the middle, the OC's will start rolling their guys out more and more. I look for a lot of disruption and hope the OLBs and DEs are ready to make a lot of plays on the edge... because the action will be forced in that direction.

My one promise about this defense... "up the middle" isn't really an option for offenses anymore.

starkvegasdawg
08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
My one promise about this defense... "up the middle" isn't really an option for offenses anymore.

Croom says up the middle is always an option.

tcdog70
08-04-2014, 01:54 PM

there are two scenarios that could cause us to lose games

1. injuries-there will be some
2. Special Team play that stays the same as Dan's teams in the past. We must be able to kick the routine FG

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Croom says up the middle is always an option.

Even if we only gain 6 inches all game.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Even if we only gain 6 inches all game.

we can score at least 2 doing that.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 02:31 PM
We may get to a point this year where teams no longer sit in the pocket against us. With the DTs we have wreaking havoc up the middle, the OC's will start rolling their guys out more and more. I look for a lot of disruption and hope the OLBs and DEs are ready to make a lot of plays on the edge... because the action will be forced in that direction.

I could definitely see that, Hack. But I think our DEs & OLBs are up to the task. Our OLBs are ridiculously fast and play well in space. Preston Smith is going to play in the NFL and made tackles sideline-to-sideline last season. Not worried about him in the least. The question mark will be the DE opposite him. That said, I really like both Brown & Jefferson. I expect them to be very solid. And I was surprised at Jefferson's negative play numbers, considering he was 2nd/3rd team last season. He had 4 TFLs, 2 sacks, 3 QBH, and a FF. That's pretty damn impressive. In fact, it's making me reconsider my projection that Ryan Brown will "start" at DE. Wouldn't be shocked at all if it's Jefferson.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
we can score at least 2 doing that.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1877074/ron-simmons-damn-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/1877074/ron-simmons-damn.html)

Pollodawg
08-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Yep. You aint getting nowhere between the tackles with this group.

preachermatt83
08-04-2014, 05:14 PM
good read wmd!

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 05:24 PM
If we can force bama to do that Hack, I think w have a shot. Shut the middle of the field off and you got a shot to beat anyone

smootness
08-04-2014, 05:29 PM

I think Redmond ends up being one of our top two, if not our best. And I love both Calhoun and Love. But Collins seemed to light up when talking about him and said he had a phenomenal spring. I think our best look is probably Calhoun and Redmond on the outside with Love in the slot as the nickel because of his size and speed.

Bo Darville
08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice article. Because of our depth at defensive tackle, Nelson
Adams is also playing some end. Chris Jones obviously moving all around. I don't think
Q. Antoine can play safety at this level. His hope is to play outside linebacker. That's where he is currently practicing.