PDA

View Full Version : Todd4State's football thoughts.

Todd4State
08-04-2014, 02:13 AM
I say ridiculous because some of this is outside the box but it's some things that I would like to see and some other random thoughts.

QB- Dak. Hey, no QB controversy for the first time in my life ever. Or since Sleepy Robinson. Or maybe the year our QB depth chart was Derrick Taite and Darrin Clark. I just want to see him pass like he did against Ole Miss and Rice. And I think he will probably even improve upon that just because we all know what kind of a work ethic he has.

RB- Robinson/Shumpert. It sounds to me like Dan is thinking about sharing Robinson's carries with someone. Nick Griffin maybe? And when I say sharing I mean Robinson getting 50% and Griffin or Shumpert getting the other 50% compared to Perkins getting about 75% last year with Robinson getting about 20% and the others getting 5%.

FB- Griffin. Call me crazy, but I think he is going to be back as in 100% back. I really think we are going to see a lot of him next year. And yes, when he has played, he hasn't looked 100% and I know everyone was worried about his confidence on that knee, but when he has gotten an opportunity, he usually makes a play. And at this point I have no reason to think he is less healthy.

WR- Bear and Robert Johnson. That's a pretty physical group. I really think Bear busts out this year. Robert Johnson is not tall, but I'm pretty sure there are some DB's in Arkansas that are having nightmares about getting trucked by Bluesman. One guy I'm going to watch for is Joe Morrow. I've watched our highlight videos and it's interesting because he's one guy I've noticed doing the little things like making key blocks and he had a few nice catches at times last year. Fred Brown is my boy. We need to get him the ball some.

Slot- Jameon is an absolute weapon of mass destruction. He's so versatile. He can catch the ball downfield, he's good on screens, he can run sweeps and he can return kicks. Now one thing I would like to see at times is my boy Fred Brown in the slot. He's not as versatile as Jameon, but I think he would be hard to cover. I'm also eager to see Gabe Myles in action out of the slot.

H-back- Malcolm Johnson is solid. But I want to see what we have in Darrion Hutcherson who is 6'7" 260. That size is going to be very useful in goal line situations. But the other thing I want to see is Deshun Dixon at H-back. When I saw that he was working out with the TE's, I was pumped. That's the perfect spot for him at 6'2" 220.

OL- Clausell, Beckwith, Day, Malone, and Damien Robinson from left to right. That's every single guy that have been here for at least four years and four are entering their fifth year. I think if we were to put that group out, it would be pretty solid. You have Day who is a Rimington Award candidate for the top center in the country. Beckwith is a solid former walk-on and with Malone the only question is if he is healthy or not, and I assume he is. Clausell is probably going to play in the NFL next year. And Damien Robinson is a guy that a lot of people have as a question mark. And I do agree with Coach34 that he has lacked a mean streak in the past and that's his issue. But if he realizes that if he can find a way to find that mean streak, he could end up making himself a lot of money as well. My guess is more than likely Robinson will start at the beginning of the year, and I'm going to give him a fair chance to prove that he can or can't play. For all I know the light switch may have come on. But we'll see.

DL- As everyone knows, I would like to see Smith and Jones at DE, and James and PJ at DT. What I think we will get is Smith and probably either Ryan Brown or AJ Jefferson at DE and then Eulls and PJ at DT. What I think we will probably see is a lot of different combinations and some guys moving around some throughout the game. So, I think we'll see some 4-3 fronts as well as some 3-4, and I do think we will see Chris Jones play some DE, although I expect him to play most of the time at DT. But what a great group especially when you consider that I didn't mention Virges and Adams who I think will both play this year.

LB- I think it will be Beniquez at the Will, McKinney at the Mike, and Wells at the SAM. I think we'll move McKinney around some for a couple of reasons- 1. because he might play OLB/DE in the NFL and 2. We probably need to get Richie ready for the Mike spot next year. Also, I think Gerri Green is going to play some this year. It's going to be interesting to see how we use him.

CB- Love and Calhoun. Here's what they have in common- both are 2 star CB's. Both are now top 10 SEC CB's. And we get Redmond for a full year unless someone let's him borrow a pen in class, in which case, he will be suspended for 30 games. Giles is a guy I have always liked too. We should be good in nickel situations because Redmond is a guy that could start for a lot of teams.

S- Cox and Hughes. I know some people are in wait and see mode with Cox moving over to S, but I have to believe that it's probably going to be a pretty good move for him and us. Hughes if he comes back is going to be quite a story because given the nature of his injury, he was probably going to be able to play, but not be at 100% until next year. So, if he is 100% now, that's very pleasant surprise to me. If he's not 100%, we have Market who is a very good player in his own right, so we should be OK either way.

K/P/KO- Devon Bell. I really think Dan is enamored with him and the possibility of having a guy that can do all three facets of kicking. And because of that, I think he will start the year as our kicker. Now, I do believe that he probably has the best range of any place kicker that we have. Unless the guy from Michigan is a lot better than I'm expecting. But, if Devon can kick the ball with say, 75% accuracy from 50 and in that is a significant upgrade over what we had last year. At worst, we have a guy that can kick off and punt and is very good at both of those, and I think he will probably end up All-SEC at punting before he graduates. Also with Devon, it's a case of a guy that was learning to kick at the SEC level and he was probably put out there before he maybe was ready. We'll see what happens now that he is a junior. If it doesn't work out, we have other options.

KR/PR- Lewis and Holloway. That's a pretty good combo. I think our ST will be more organized and hopefully cleaner than it was with Dan not doing ST anymore. I really think a lot of our problems last year were from sloppiness and missing assignments and things like that. Which tells me that we probably didn't spend as much time on ST as we should have. If we clean that up a little bit, we should have a better season than we did last year.

bulldawg28
08-04-2014, 06:13 AM
In the secondary I would start Redmond over Calhoun. He should be starting and it's not even close.

Bo Darville
08-04-2014, 06:30 AM
In the secondary I would start Redmond over Calhoun. He should be starting and it's not even close.

Not even close? Have you not watched Calhoun? Not even close? Many think Calhoun is better than Love.

bulldawg28
08-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Not even close? Have you not watched Calhoun? Not even close? Many think Calhoun is better than Love.

It doesn't matter which he starts for he's the best corner on the team.

Bo Darville
08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
It doesn't matter which he starts for he's the best corner on the team.

I can listen to a "Redmond is the best corner" argument. It is the "not even close" part that seems ridiculous.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Devon Bell didn't attempt 1 fg in the spring & he's not expected to in fall camp. He won't be in the fg kicking discussion.

cbrunt29
08-04-2014, 07:28 AM

I disagree. Redmond has talent and I think he'll see the field a good bit this year, but he is not better than Calhoun. He just isn't

whosyourdawgy
08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

You saw the tweet about love and Calhoun saying something like this didn't you? Calhoun was one of our best playmakers on D last year. He has earned the starting spot. What's great is we have Redmond and Giles who have game experience and are very good in their own right to back up and play nickel packages. Quality depth is a great thing. Redmond may end up being a great cb for us but to say he is our best corner is a stretch right now when we have 2 that improved every game last season and by the end were playing great

whosyourdawgy
08-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Rashun Dixon. And are we sure he's staying at h back/TE?

thf24
08-04-2014, 07:46 AM

...no.

Johnson85
08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
I don't think we'll see Robinson start. If we do, and it's anything more than a reward in the USM game before the 'backup' gets starter snaps, that will be our signal that we are in trouble, like it was when we had to move a Senior DT over to be our starting LT.

Devon Bell will not kick. I'm not sure if Mullen is still enamored with him, but I'm pretty sure Bell is over kicking FG's. Kicking is a tough position mentally, and some people just aren't cut out for it. I think Bell wants to focus on punting, which is probably not a bad idea if he has pro potential there.

I'd like to see us use Jones at DT like we used Eulls some. Put him at an end in running situations, which gives us a ridiculously stout front 4. In passing situations, having Jones and Eulls inside gives us 3 DL with DE speed and one DT with speed that is just a hair shy of DE speed.

TrueMaroon
08-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Based on what? You are usually pretty spot on, but Calhoun looked phenomenal at the end of the season; I thought he was the defensive MVP of the Egg Bowl.

Brad Stevens
08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
From all I've seen and heard, Jamaal Clayborn will be starting at guard. Beckwith will be ready to go if Clayborn/Malone go down. I think Beckwith also may be taking back-up center reps?

Big4Dawg
08-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I hope the OL looks like this:

LT- Clusell/Senior
LG- Clayborn/Beckwith
C- Day/Beckwith
RG- Malone/Beckwith
RT- Senior/Robinson

HoopsDawg
08-04-2014, 10:10 AM
I hope the OL looks like this:

LT- Clausell/Senior
LG- Clayborn/Beckwith
C- Day/Beckwith
RG- Malone/Beckwith
RT- Senior/Robinson

I think that's probably the depth chart on the O-line after 2 a days are over.

I also agree with the poster that Will Redomond is our best pure corner, but all 3 guys will play a signficant role so it's just semantics.

Preston Smith is our only good pass rusher at DE, that's why I think McKinney will come off the edge more this year in a 4-2-5 look. At least, I hope so. McKinney is definitely not a MLB at the next level.

I'm looking for Fred Ross or Fred Brown to push Robert Johnson. We really need a deep threat on that side. I like Rojo as a blocker and a possession receiver though.

I really hope McGrath can win the FG job. Devon Bell is no longer on FG's and the other guy just can't get the height you need.

jumbo
08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
no Clayborn on the OL?

thunderclap
08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Devon Bell is no longer on FG's and the other guy just can't get the height you need.

That's what she said.

HoopsDawg
08-04-2014, 10:32 AM
no Clayborn on the OL?

Todd's a baseball guy.

bulldawg28
08-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Based on what? You are usually pretty spot on, but Calhoun looked phenomenal at the end of the season; I thought he was the defensive MVP of the Egg Bowl.

Let's go back and look at this that shows Redmond is better. Corner back is the hardest position to play on the field and it was obvious with Calhoun, Jiles, and pretty much everyone placed there with the exception of Love while Redmond was out. It took them unto the end of the year to adjust and get it. Enter Will Redmond whose never played in the SEC and starts making plays immediately as if he's played all year. He's essentially a redshirt freshman making plays like a junior from day one. His mechanics, instincts, speed, intellects on the field make him the best we have. Had he not been suspended he was the starter. This is straight from the coaches. The coaches have been fair and allowed the others to maintain their spot over him but he's the best corner on the team. The kid is an NFL talent right now and if given the opportunity will be in the league longer than any corner on the current MSU roster.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Let's go back and look at this that shows Redmond is better. Corner back is the hardest position to play on the field and it was obvious with Calhoun, Jiles, and pretty much everyone placed there with the exception of Love while Redmond was out. It took them unto the end of the year to adjust and get it. Enter Will Redmond whose never played in the SEC and starts making plays immediately as if he's played all year. He's essentially a redshirt freshman making plays like a junior from day one. His mechanics, instincts, speed, intellects on the field make him the best we have. Had he not been suspended he was the starter. This is straight from the coaches. The coaches have been fair and allowed the others to maintain their spot over him but he's the best corner on the team. The kid is an NFL talent right now and if given the opportunity will be in the league longer than any corner on the current MSU roster.

and he could potentially go after this year...

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 12:38 PM
and he could potentially go after this year...

Obviously you're on the Redmond bandwagon. You'll understand if I don't think you can be objective when evaluating Redmond.

He'll be very, very good. But as of right now, he hasn't earned a starting job or shown me he's clearly better than either Love or Calhoun. He has his chance this season. But he apparently didn't do enough to unseat either of those guys in the spring. I'm going to trust Collins on this one. That said, Redmond is going to play a ton.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 12:40 PM

FAIL. That would be OL. But thanks for playing.

Bo Darville
08-04-2014, 12:48 PM

This is a well thought out defense of your position. I might agree and I might not, but you make a strong case. It's the part where you said "it's not even close" that I think is crazy.

Coach34
08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
We are very lucky in that we have 3 starting CB's- Love, Calhoun, and Redmond. All of them can play. Jiles is no doorknob either, but he aint as good as those first 3. Calhoun is a straight up playmaker with great instincts- essentially another JBanks-while Love and Redmond are slightly better cover guys. Redmond needs to also be allowed to make an impact in the return game.

The good thing about the OL- and why I havent been worried- is that we have 8-9 guys that can play. And thats all you really need. Clausell, Day, Malone, and Beckwith are known players. Clayborn had a good Freshman year and a good Spring going H2H with Jones day after day. Senior, Robinson, and Flowers give us 3 more guys to make 8.
What Hev has to decide- are we better starting Malone and Beckwith at G and rotating Clayborn in constantly to keep the G's fresh- while letting Clausell hold down LT...then letting Robinson and Senior play RT? Or are we better with starting Clayborn and Beckwith at G with Flowers rotating in, moving Malone to RT with Robinson backing him up, and Senior resting Clausell?

It's nice to have actual depth with bona fide options.

Johnson85
08-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Obviously you're on the Redmond bandwagon. You'll understand if I don't think you can be objective when evaluating Redmond.

He'll be very, very good. But as of right now, he hasn't earned a starting job or shown me he's clearly better than either Love or Calhoun. He has his chance this season. But he apparently didn't do enough to unseat either of those guys in the spring. I'm going to trust Collins on this one. That said, Redmond is going to play a ton.

But that's not how this staff works. Don't really have a dog in this hunt, but the fact that Redmond isn't starting at this point doesn't tell us much with this staff. I don't think Chris Jones is really second string and I hope Damien Robinson isn't really first string. If you are doing things the right way, you will see your 'back-up' get starter reps before you lose your starting position. For Redmond to have been named starter at this point would have pretty much required that somebody else screw up, although if he was dominating such taht him starting was inevitable, there would probably have been some rumors about it.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 01:09 PM
So PJ & Eulls are better NFL prospects than Chris Jones because they're starting too, huh?

Calhoun was in the right place at the right time and does a great job keeping his eyes in the backfield, but he's not nearly as good as a true corner cover as Love or Redmond. He's a ballhawk... so was Nickoe... but that don't mean they can cover man up better than anyone else on the field.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 01:18 PM
But that's not how this staff works. Don't really have a dog in this hunt, but the fact that Redmond isn't starting at this point doesn't tell us much with this staff. I don't think Chris Jones is really second string and I hope Damien Robinson isn't really first string. If you are doing things the right way, you will see your 'back-up' get starter reps before you lose your starting position. For Redmond to have been named starter at this point would have pretty much required that somebody else screw up, although if he was dominating such taht him starting was inevitable, there would probably have been some rumors about it.

So PJ & Eulls are better NFL prospects than Chris Jones because they're starting too, huh?

Calhoun was in the right place at the right time and does a great job keeping his eyes in the backfield, but he's not nearly as good as a true corner cover as Love or Redmond. He's a ballhawk... so was Nickoe... but that don't mean they can cover man up better than anyone else on the field.

You guys should check out my defensive preview at FWTCT. But here's the bottom line: This D is so deep, all these guys are going to play and play a lot. Mullen has proven he's like Cohen in that he prefers to reward his veterans with the "starter" title. As for Redmond specifically, I clearly said he's going to be very, very good. But if he's as good as you guys (general "you guys," I realize this is your first post in the thread, 85) make him out to be, it WOULD force Dan's/Collins' hand into naming him a starter. It tells me those 3 are about as even as it gets. Hell, I think all 3 of those guys are going to play in the NFL.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 01:22 PM
there's no doubt about that. There is separation between the CBs though, and it's significant... just like there is at DT. The season will play out and we can revisit this conversation, but I think we're going to see some HUGE things from our "backups" this year defensively.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
there's no doubt about that. There is separation between the CBs though, and it's significant... just like there is at DT. The season will play out and we can revisit this conversation, but I think we're going to see some HUGE things from our "backups" this year defensively.

I can totally agree with that. Like I said, Redmond has his chance this season. It would be awesome if he steps up and becomes an elite CB. The talent is there, he just needs to capitalize.

bulldawg28
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
FAIL. That would be OL. But thanks for playing.

Lol..that answer shows you have no clue. You could probably go through an SEC roster and find either a true freshman or a redshirt freshman in the 2 deep. Then check and tell me which schools have Corner backs listed that way. If you find it he's either elite or that school is trouble like Hell come fall. Let's use our Ole Miss brethren. They started 2 true freshmen OL and won 8 games. Find any SEC school that has started 2 true freshman corners and didn't finish last in their division.

whatever
08-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Lol..that answer shows you have no clue. You could probably go through an SEC roster and find either a true freshman or a redshirt freshman in the 2 deep. Then check and tell me which schools have Corner backs listed that way. If you find it he's either elite or that school is trouble like Hell come fall. Let's use our Ole Miss brethren. They started 2 true freshmen OL and won 8 games. Find any SEC school that has started 2 true freshman corners and didn't finish last in their division.

There are 5 guys on the OL, so based on numbers alone it's a lot more likely that you'll see 2 FR out of a 2 deep of 10 than you will 2 freshmen CB's, since ya know, there are only 2 that start instead of 5.

Also, I believe UGA started 2 freshman in Shaq Wiggins and Brendan Langley last year and didn't finish last, Vernon Hargreaves played pretty well, and Marlon Humphrey and Tony Brown will probably be in Bama's 2 deep if not starting by the end of the year together at CB.

You do see some freshmen that get to play on the OL, but I'd say that's the toughest spot from a physical standpoint, and likely also a mental standpoint of knowing what to do

chef dixon
08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Redmond has got athleticism and talent that none of our other CB's have. With that said, Calhoun and Love know what it takes and have become very solid players, but I'd be very surprised if Redmond isn't our best DB by the end of the year. Keep in mind he's only gotten to play half a season. I remember watching an interview of Fred Ross who was asked who was the toughest person to block and he said Redmond no doubt about it.

Also, is there anyone besides Jameon and Holloway up for returning kicks? They both kind of make me nervous in different ways. Didn't Redmond or Myles do this type of thing in high school?

bulldawg28
08-04-2014, 04:03 PM
There are 5 guys on the OL, so based on numbers alone it's a lot more likely that you'll see 2 FR out of a 2 deep of 10 than you will 2 freshmen CB's, since ya know, there are only 2 that start instead of 5.

Also, I believe UGA started 2 freshman in Shaq Wiggins and Brendan Langley last year and didn't finish last, Vernon Hargreaves played pretty well, and Marlon Humphrey and Tony Brown will probably be in Bama's 2 deep if not starting by the end of the year together at CB.

You do see some freshmen that get to play on the OL, but I'd say that's the toughest spot from a physical standpoint, and likely also a mental standpoint of knowing what to do

He said OL. The only similarity in difficulty is OT because you have very little help. Also, Georgia didn't start 2 freshmen corners. Swain/Swann was a junior. Since you brought up that subject, which position was the weakest for Georgia? You guessed it...Corner. Or the entire secondary for that matter which cost them games with freshmen everywhere.

gravedigger
08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Huh?

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't see our line running out there and Jamaal not on it. He saw some time last year, as a true freshman, and is a beast. The one true freak on our team, CJ, said Jamaal may be the only player stronger than he is. He had fairly quick feet and pretty decent technique last year for a true freshman (think that has a lot to do with private school coaching, but I won't get into that now). I would be amazed if he didn't end camp as a starter inside.

Political Hack
08-04-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't see our line running out there and Jamaal not on it. He saw some time last year, as a true freshman, and is a beast. The one true freak on our team, CJ, said Jamaal may be the only player stronger than he is. He had fairly quick feet and pretty decent technique last year for a true freshman (think that has a lot to do with private school coaching, but I won't get into that now). I would be amazed if he didn't end camp as a starter inside.

agree.

Coach34
08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
We have 4 weeks of practice before we play. Give Damien his shot to win the job. With our defensive front- we'll know in 2 weeks who the best 5 are.

The he great thing about our schedule is we get 3 games to get our best 10 guys reps. Our back-ups will get good reps to get some experience that could be huge down the road

smootness
08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
A few thoughts for Todd:

1. You don't think Chris Jones will start on the DL?
2. I think safety is the position I'm most excited about this year. Obviously there are some unknowns, but if Hughes can be ready to go at least by a few games in, I love the combination of him and Cox, one physical and one an elite athlete ballhawk, with a seasoned, smart, tough guy like Market ready to fill in where necessary.
3. If any kicker in the country makes 75% from 50, they're almost certainly the best kicker in the country. I think a lot of people expect way too much from kickers.
4. And yes, I think Gerri Green plays, too. A lot.

smootness
08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Preston Smith is our only good pass rusher at DE, that's why I think McKinney will come off the edge more this year in a 4-2-5 look. At least, I hope so. McKinney is definitely not a MLB at the next level.

Not true, Jefferson is a good pass rusher.

And I don't see McKinney coming off the edge much. I'm not that concerned with where he'll play in the NFL; he's most valuable to us at MLB. Collins said that our #1 priority as a defense is to stop the run, and McKinney also is responsible for lining the defense up. He's our MLB all day.

BiscuitEater
08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Mullen has proven he's like Cohen in that he prefers to reward his veterans with the "starter" title. As for Redmond specifically, I clearly said he's going to be very, very good. Hell, I think all 3 of those guys are going to play in the NFL.

THIS team seems to have less "EGO Issues" than any other State team that I can remember. Starting is not a big deal with these guys and this bodes well for this year

sbcmortgageman
08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Kendrick Market at safety. I pretty excited about him.

smootness
08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Kendrick Market at safety. I pretty excited about him.

Todd and I both did. I really like him. To me, he's the world's best backup, and I certainly mean that as a complement. He may not be somebody who's going to play all game and decide it for you, but he's going to always be exactly where you've taught him to be, and as an opposing offense, you know you have to account for him.

When he's called on to play, which will be a lot this year, you're not going to worry that he'll get you beat.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
A few thoughts for Todd:

1. You don't think Chris Jones will start on the DL?
2. I think safety is the position I'm most excited about this year. Obviously there are some unknowns, but if Hughes can be ready to go at least by a few games in, I love the combination of him and Cox, one physical and one an elite athlete ballhawk, with a seasoned, smart, tough guy like Market ready to fill in where necessary.
3. If any kicker in the country makes 75% from 50, they're almost certainly the best kicker in the country. I think a lot of people expect way too much from kickers.

This is what I'm talking about with our fans and Market. It's like they can't comprehend Market might actually be as good or better than Hughes and is one hell of a football player. Hell, all the guy did last year was finish second on the team in tackles to B-Mack.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 07:34 PM

You clearly haven't read WMD's Season Preview: Defense (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2014/8/4/5962519/wmd-preseason-preview-defense-geoff-collins-benardrick-mckinney-kendrick-market). Do the link. I swear I've been the lone voice crying "Market will start over Hughes."

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Todd and I both did. I really like him. To me, he's the world's best backup, and I certainly mean that as a complement. He may not be somebody who's going to play all game and decide it for you, but he's going to always be exactly where you've taught him to be, and as an opposing offense, you know you have to account for him.

When he's called on to play, which will be a lot this year, you're not going to worry that he'll get you beat.

http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

smootness
08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
This is what I'm talking about with our fans and Market. It's like they can't comprehend Market might actually be as good or better than Hughes and is one hell of a football player. Hell, all the guy did last year was finish second on the team in tackles to B-Mack.

I don't see where anything I said is incorrect or off-base. I love Market as a football player and would have no issue with him as a starting safety all year. He played great last year, and the fact that he was 2nd on the team in tackles is no surprise. Again, he's always where he's supposed to be. He made some big plays for us last year, the Kentucky tackle being the biggest.

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Gotta agree with smoot. I think Hughes is a better player and leader. I think Market will play, but there's a reason Hughes started last year and went to media days. I think the job is his unless market takes it, and I don't think he will, at least not by the time we play southern.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Gotta agree with smoot. I think Hughes is a better player and leader. I think Market will play, but there's a reason Hughes started last year and went to media days. I think the job is his unless market takes it, and I don't think he will, at least not by the time we play southern.

Agree with you and Smoot. Leadership is the key. Unless Hughes has completely lost a step or isn't 100%, he Should and Will start. He is a big time leader of this defense. Mullen and several team members said losing him last year was huge because he was the leader of the D. You don't stick a guy like that on the bench unless he is a liability or Market is just far and away better. I would hardly say Market is far and away better....he's probably not even equal at this point. And Market is really good...just says a lot about Hughes.

But that's just my opinion

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
. Unless Hughes has completely lost a step or isn't 100%, he Should and Will start.
For sure. If he's not healthy, I won't lose any sleep over Market filling in. If he's back to 100%, he will be starting.

Coach34
08-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Where? Whose reps is he going to take?

smootness
08-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Where? Whose reps is he going to take?

Good question, and I don't really know, to be honest. But I think he has enough ability to push some guys aside. I don't think we'll redshirt him because there's not much point, and I could see he and Dez Harris battling each other for PT. Or I could see him playing in place of Zack Jackson eventually in some packages. I know they technically don't okay the same position, but Green is plenty fast enough to do the things Jackson is asked to do.

Coach34
08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Sometimes talented 4-star players RS- ask Bennie and Ritchie Brown. Hell, McKinney RS'ed and he is going to be a 2nd rounder most likely

smootness
08-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Sometimes talented 4-star players RS- ask Bennie and Ritchie Brown. Hell, McKinney RS'ed and he is going to be a 2nd rounder most likely

Yes, but I think this staff will RS fewer guys going forward. Did redshirting McKinney help us? We won't get his 5th year and almost didn't get his 4th. And I think Mullen sees that if a guy is likely not to stay 5 years, you might as well let him play early.

I'm not sure Beni or Richie are sure-fire guys to be gone after 4 years. I think Green is. Guys with his size and athletic ability just don't stay for their RS senior year.

Same with RBs. The really good ones won't stay 5 years because they're trying to reduce wear and tear, even if they aren't a high draft pick. We didn't RS Shumpert and probably won't RS Williams, despite little benefit from playing them their true freshman year.

HoopsDawg
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM

Green ain't redshirting. He's going to be a big factor on sp teams and he's better than Dez already.

DudyDawg
08-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Apples to oranges. I don't think they were as ready physically as Gerri is now.

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Yes, but I think this staff will RS fewer guys going forward. Did redshirting McKinney help us? We won't get his 5th year and almost didn't get his 4th. And I think Mullen sees that if a guy is likely not to stay 5 years, you might as well let him play early.

I'm not sure Beni or Richie are sure-fire guys to be gone after 4 years. I think Green is. Guys with his size and athletic ability just don't stay for their RS senior year.

Same with RBs. The really good ones won't stay 5 years because they're trying to reduce wear and tear, even if they aren't a high draft pick. We didn't RS Shumpert and probably won't RS Williams, despite little benefit from playing them their true freshman year.

I don't think we will redshirt fewer because we're a developmental program and we have more depth than ever.

You're going to have to be either Chris Jones freakishly good or we're going to have to have a gaping hole for someone that is straight out of high school to contribute immediately.

If you look at RB last year- we had Perkins, Robinson, and then Milton who I think was sort of on thin ice to a degree with his fumbling issues at this time last year, and then Griffin coming off of a knee surgery. Meaning we had two fairly reliable RB's at this time last year. That's why we didn't redshirt Shumpert.

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Apples to oranges. I don't think they was as ready physically as Gerri is now.

If Green doesn't get hurt last year in high school, he probably goes to some All-Star games. Ole Miss tried real hard to get him to flip despite his injury. So, he's under the radar to degree because of his injury.

DudyDawg
08-05-2014, 12:48 AM
If Green doesn't get hurt last year in high school, he probably goes to some All-Star games. Ole Miss tried real hard to get him to flip despite his injury. So, he's under the radar to degree because of his injury.

Ahh. Forgot about that. Still think he's well above them athletically than they were.

Todd4State
08-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Ahh. Forgot about that. Still think he's well above them athletically than they were.

From all accounts I have heard, he is healthy. Essentially he will replace Deontae Skinner this year. I don't have any questions about his athleticism. At this point it's just a question of how quickly he will transition to the college game. He will be an All-SEC type player as long as he stays healthy.

bulldawg28
08-05-2014, 05:34 AM
From watching him run with pads he doesn't look 100%. Didn't he run a supposed 4.3 or 4.4 in highschool? If this is true he looks about 85%. Then again he appears to be a long stride guy. I just haven't seen explosion that suggests he's totally back.

CottonDog
08-05-2014, 07:11 AM
I understand Redmond was a big recruit and all that jazz, but Houn is one of the best corners in the SEC. No one here has seen enough of Redmond college to determine how good he is anyways.

I'm not typically one check ESPN for info on State, but: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84385/ranking-the-sec-cornerbacks-3