PDA

View Full Version : One key difference this season...

CadaverDawg
08-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Is our secondary.

Not only were we replacing Banks, Slay, and Broomfield heading into last year....we were doing it without Will Redmond until later in the season. Not to mention, this year the guys have had a full season under DeShea Townsend. We also lost Hughes in the first game against OSU, so it was an even worse situation than we thought it would be back there.

Now we have veterans in the secondary with Hughes, Cox, Love, Calhoun, Redmond, Market, Jiles, etc....so we should be MUCH better in the secondary this season from the start.

Combine that with a returning LB core with additional experienced depth, and a better and more experienced DL, with an experienced Chris Jones and a potential beast in Nick James.....this could be the best defense in the entire country.

smootness
08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Yeah, our secondary and WR corps were both complete unknowns going into last year.

There really is no position group like that this year.

CadaverDawg
08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Yeah, our secondary and WR corps were both complete unknowns going into last year.

There really is no position group like that this year.

Yea, good point about the WR group.

There is normally one key group that makes me know deep down what our ceiling is. This year, I don't see one unless you wanna talk FG kicking. I don't see how it could be worse than last year though, so I'm expecting improvement there. Besides, I have a feeling Dan knows how shitty FGs were last year, and won't let it get that bad again.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Nikoe also played on one leg almost the entire year.

Pokerdawg44
08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Any word on how Hughes has come along with his Achilles? I really think if Cox can get comfortable at fs then he can be a game changer. I wonder if we rotate any of the top 4 cbs at safety to get our best dbs on the field at same time.

starkvegasdawg
08-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Another thing to consider...if out d line plays like we think there will be no deep pass threat. The receivers won't have time to get deep and the QB won't have time for a deep drop. You could get any of us to play cb and we would be moderately successful. The fact that we have the quality secondary that we do will only make the passing game that much harder.