PDA

View Full Version : It's good to see a State team live up to expectations

Coach34
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
We were a preseason Top 15 team- we will finish the regular season a top 15 team
Many people thought we could win 40 games this year- we won 40
Many people felt like this team was capable of hosting a regional- this team has done what's necessary to host

We're not done yet and have some postseason work to do now- but hard to be down on the regular season results- especially considering the problems with the SP we overcame

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
We were a preseason Top 15 team- we will finish the regular season a top 15 team
Many people thought we could win 40 games this year- we won 40
Many people felt like this team was capable of hosting a regional- this team has done what's necessary to host

We're not done yet and have some postseason work to do now- but hard to be down on the regular season results- especially considering the problems with the SP we overcame

Yep. All of this with a brutal schedule and starting pitching issues. I actually thought at best we would be around 36-37 wins overall, yet we hit 40 before the SEC Tourney. I'm impressed.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I had my doubts on hosting as well due to the schedule...if you had told me we would have SP problems also, I'd have said no way

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
I had my doubts on hosting as well due to the schedule...if you had told me we would have SP problems also, I'd have said no way

I thought LSU and Vandy separating themselves from the SEC pack would hurt us too. I'm telling you, this team is even better than most of us think. And since many of our fans are too stupid to realize this...I'm glad you're bringing it up.

bluelightstar
05-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I think we dropped several series that we had no business dropping, but life in the SEC is tough stuff, so I understand that. Just glad to have one season this year that wasn't awful and disappointing.

And since many of our fans are too stupid to realize this...I'm glad you're bringing it up.

I think your hatred of MSU fans is well-documented. Need to reiterate it at every opportunity?

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I think we dropped several series that we had no business dropping, but life in the SEC is tough stuff, so I understand that. Just glad to have one season this year that wasn't awful and disappointing.

I think your hatred of MSU fans is well-documented. Need to reiterate it at every opportunity?

I don't hate MSU fans...I hate STUPID MSU fans. So if that offends you, maybe you are one of the stupid ones. Otherwise, I'm not talking to you so you should ignore that part.

bluelightstar
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't hate MSU fans...I hate STUPID MSU fans. So if that offends you, maybe you are one of the stupid ones. Otherwise, I'm not talking to you so you should ignore that part.

You probably would consider me one of the stupid ones, because I'm very critical of our sports teams, and don't believe in not speaking negatively of them.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 02:29 PM
You probably would consider me one of the stupid ones, because I'm very critical of our sports teams, and don't believe in not speaking negatively of them.

I speak negatively of them too when it's warranted. I think you are misunderstanding what I'm against.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM

For instance...

We have fans on a different board listing reasons why we WILL NOT be hosting. Is that smart to you? Or dumb as ****? Why would you try to help build a case AGAINST our team? We should be giving reasons why we Deserve to host, but we've got dipshits doing the opposite.

That is what I can't stand.

Now, an example of what I don't mind....

When Cohen starts Armstrong for the 3rd straight game when he has done nothing to earn that, and someone says "Cohen, what the **** are you doing? Are you a damn moron?", etc.

Why am I ok with that? Because they are saying that in the heat of the moment and because they are passionate about our program.

If you are advocating against a Regional in Starkville you are a weak minded puss that tries to belittle MSU in hopes of being surprised, but making sure you aren't "down" if you're proven right. I Hate that mentality.

Better?

bluelightstar
05-19-2013, 02:39 PM
For instance...

We have fans on a different board listing reasons why we WILL NOT be hosting. Is that smart to you? Or dumb as ****? Why would you try to help build a case AGAINST our team? We should be giving reasons why we Deserve to host, but we've got dipshits doing the opposite.

That is what I can't stand.

Now, an example of what I don't mind....

When Cohen starts Armstrong for the 3rd straight game when he has done nothing to earn that, and someone says "Cohen, what the **** are you doing? Are you a damn moron?", etc.

Why am I ok with that? Because they are saying that in the heat of the moment and because they are passionate about our program.

If you are advocating against a Regional in Starkville you are a weak minded puss that tries to belittle MSU in hopes of being surprised, but making sure you aren't "down" if you're proven right. I Hate that mentality.

Better?

Well, I apologize for seemingly misunderstanding your position. It seemed to me that you were advocating the GenesPage "MSU does no wrong" mentality, which I absolutely do not buy. Perhaps this forum can become a middle ground between the way-too-sunshine-pumping GP and the bitterly negative SPS. That would be good, but when I have people trying to convince me we had a good football season and that it's crazy to think otherwise, that's when I start being skeptical.

Please understand my thinking.

And yes, MSU should be hosting.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, I apologize for seemingly misunderstanding your position. It seemed to me that you were advocating the GenesPage "MSU does no wrong" mentality, which I absolutely do not buy. Perhaps this forum can become a middle ground between the way-too-sunshine-pumping GP and the bitterly negative SPS. That would be good, but when I have people trying to convince me we had a good football season and that it's crazy to think otherwise, that's when I start being skeptical.

Please understand my thinking.

And yes, MSU should be hosting.

We are on the same page. I hate the Genespage mentality. And I don't mind negativity at all. I just hate negativity that either A. Isn't warranted, B. Hurts us in recruiting/ Hurts the program, C. Is spewed by someone that doesn't know shit about said sport.

So it sounds like we are on the exact same page.

Goat Holder
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
A couple of things. You are 100% correct. But let me add I hate expectations. 3 times out of 5, they aren't rooted in sound reality. Second, I judge a season's success (at least outside winning the outright title) by the regular season. Post-season accomplishments are always gravy to me.....they are there to determine a champion. If you don't win the whole thing, you didn't win anything IMO. Sure you can say Supers and CWS are accomplishments, and they are. But to me, when judging a program, I think the regular season tells much more of the truth than a postseason run.

This season was an overwhelming success, especially considering where we came from. And it's only going to get better.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 03:02 PM
A couple of things. You are 100% correct. But let me add I hate expectations. 3 times out of 5, they aren't rooted in sound reality. Second, I judge a season's success (at least outside winning the outright title) by the regular season. Post-season accomplishments are always gravy to me.....they are there to determine a champion. If you don't win the whole thing, you didn't win anything IMO. Sure you can say Supers and CWS are accomplishments, and they are. But to me, when judging a program, I think the regular season tells much more of the truth than a postseason run.

This season was an overwhelming success, especially considering where we came from. And it's only going to get better.

I agree completely.

Goat Holder
05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Nice strawman argument. Trying to go sideways on him and act like his hatred is the problem. I saw no where where he said he hated our fans. He hates the stupidity. Get it? Take that Genespage guilt trip crap back to the Lake. And take your ignorant (the very definition of the word, not an insult) criticisms over to sixpack and chill out and eat cabbage with rugbdawg.

bluelightstar
05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice strawman argument. Trying to go sideways on him and act like his hatred is the problem. I saw no where where he said he hated our fans. He hates the stupidity. Get it? Take that Genespage guilt trip crap back to the Lake. And take your ignorant (the very definition of the word, not an insult) criticisms over to sixpack and chill out and eat cabbage with rugbdawg.

It would appear you're talking to me, but you don't seem to have addressed anything I said (and in fact, your GenesPage and SPS comparison leads me to believe that you didn't even read most of what I posted). Good going.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 03:46 PM
It would appear you're talking to me, but you don't seem to have addressed anything I said (and in fact, your GenesPage and SPS comparison leads me to believe that you didn't even read most of what I posted). Good going.

Your original post Did kind of have a "Genespage guilt trip-ish" style to it. If you have read this board at all you would know that I am far from sunshine pumping, so I wouldn't get in to it with Goat over it. He's right.

Political Hack
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
we haven't lost to a non-bowl team since Mullen stepped on campus. People forget how terrible we were the decade before that. The idiocy comes in when the $$ signs over take the fans' desire to win and we schedule an OSU kickoff game that could out a bowl streak in jeopardy this season. Doing that with our schedule is bad enough, but doing that when you do t know who the SEC East opponent is going to be is grounds for termination in my opinion.

We're much better than what we were but scheduling like that can cause us to peak instead of collecting W's. We are Doug the same thing Boise State did to slowly become irrelevant.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
we haven't lost to a non-bowl team since Mullen stepped on campus. People forget how terrible we were the decade before that. The idiocy comes in when the $$ signs over take the fans' desire to win and we schedule an OSU kickoff game that could out a bowl streak in jeopardy this season. Doing that with our schedule is bad enough, but doing that when you do t know who the SEC East opponent is going to be is grounds for termination in my opinion.

We're much better than what we were but scheduling like that can cause us to peak instead of collecting W's. We are Doug the same thing Boise State did to slowly become irrelevant.

Great point. If we go 5-7 this season, we have nobody to blame but our dumb assed selves. And it WILL cause us to take a step back for a few years if we miss out on a bowl this season.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Pretty much every disappointing SEC series we lost was on the road.

I'm disappointed that we let a few games slip away aGAIN this year- game one of the LSU series, the game at Kentucky where Wes hit a ball off the wall and because of the weird ground rules it was a double instead of a home run, game two of the Auburn series, the Ole Miss series getting delayed which gave Ole Miss an advantage at home in my opinion with the pitching match ups, and of course the second game of the South Carolina series.