PDA

View Full Version : Our 2 deep on the OL

cheewgumm
08-03-2014, 08:37 AM
What is our 2 deep on the OL if you can only have one backup per position? Meaning you can't use 1 player to backup 2 spots.

Leroy Jenkins
08-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Yesterday it looked like this:

RT Robinson
RG Malone
C Day
LG Beckwith
LT Clausell

The 2's were

RT Senior
RG Desper
C Muniz
LG Clayborn
LT Carter

That will likely change throughout camp competition.

mic
08-03-2014, 09:18 AM
The first 3 games will determine our rotation for the remainder of the season.. We should play a lot of different guys in these games.
It will be a huge lift if Robinson holds down or is at least a serviceable backup at RT.

My guess:
Flowers will be in the 2 deep rotation
Malone starts at RT backed up by Robinson
Claiborne at G
Senior backs up Clausell at LT

GreenheadDawg
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
The first 3 games will determine our rotation for the remainder of the season.. We should play a lot of different guys in these games.
It will be a huge lift if Robinson holds down or is at least a serviceable backup at RT.

My guess:
Flowers will be in the 2 deep rotation
Malone starts at RT backed up by Robinson
Claiborne at G
Senior backs up Clausell at LT

I wish that were true. but reading this article says different for RT. Hevesey says Malone is at RG, which scares the shit out of me because Robinson should not be a starting at RT and if he is we will be in trouble. O-line is the only place that I'm really worried about.
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/MSU-assistant-John-Hevesy-talks-Bulldog-OLine-30022430

Coach34
08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Hevesy is a good damn coach. They havent even strapped on the pads yet- long way to go until KO

Reason2succeed
08-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Hevesy is a good damn coach. They havent even strapped on the pads yet- long way to go until KO

Hev talked about his recruiting philosophy and it was spot on. The last thing you want is a big heavy that feels entitled and thinks he can just show up on game day. While he seems to miss on highly rated OL he has a track record of getting big OL to play at a high level which is all you want in the end.

whosyourdawgy
08-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Amen to that coach. Every position on the oline is up for grabs right now as far as starting except Dillon Day at Center. Beckwith, Clausell, and Malone will end up being starters and Hevesy has talked up Senor a good bit too. But like he said yesterday, he can't tell anything without pads on. Gonna be some tough competition and some players working their asses off to get those positions. It's a great problem to have. Let's just pray that none of them get hurt working so hard to earn it.

Political Hack
08-03-2014, 10:05 AM
If RT works out without Malone having to move over, watch out... we're gonna be good.

mic
08-03-2014, 10:09 AM
If RT works out without Malone having to move over, watch out... we're gonna be good.

This 100%.........

MetEdDawg
08-03-2014, 10:15 AM
One of my buddies and I have been debating our starting 5 for a while. I think we should go:

RT - Robinson
RG - Malone
C - Day
LG - Clayborn
LT - Clausell

To me that gives us 4 quality SEC OL, all of whom I think are in the spots where they can perform at their highest potential.

He thinks:

RT - Malone
RG - Beckwith
C - Day
LG - Clayborn
LT - Clausell

I just don't seem to be able to get comfortable moving Malone to RT. I think it devalues him even though I think he can play there. I think Malone has an NFL career at guard and that it's his best spot and that in our offense we can sacrifice a little at RT to keep a guard like Malone in his spot. But then again, can Robinson hold up and be serviceable against our stronger opponents? Not sure he can which concerns me.

GreenheadDawg
08-03-2014, 10:18 AM
One of my buddies and I have been debating our starting 5 for a while. I think we should go:

RT - Robinson
RG - Malone
C - Day
LG - Clayborn
LT - Clausell

To me that gives us 4 quality SEC OL, all of whom I think are in the spots where they can perform at their highest potential.

He thinks:

RT - Malone
RG - Beckwith
C - Day
LG - Clayborn
LT - Clausell

I just don't seem to be able to get comfortable moving Malone to RT. I think it devalues him even though I think he can play there. I think Malone has an NFL career at guard and that it's his best spot and that in our offense we can sacrifice a little at RT to keep a guard like Malone in his spot. But then again, can Robinson hold up and be serviceable against our stronger opponents? Not sure he can which concerns me.

It worries me a lot more that Robinson would be at RT. The guy just doesn't have it. And he has shown that multiple times

Coach34
08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Robinson has ability-its not like he is awful. He just doesnt have the mean streak necessary imo. I hope something has clicked with him. We'll see when the pads come on- full contact dont lie in the trenches

MetEdDawg
08-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Robinson has ability-its not like he is awful. He just doesnt have the mean streak necessary imo. I hope something has clicked with him. We'll see when the pads come on- full contact dont lie in the trenches

I think we will learn early. If Robinson is going to stay in at RT, he needs to be able to handle USM, UAB, and USA with little to no problems. If he grades out low and shows that he just doesn't have what it takes, we need to make the move.

I would give Robinson the first two games. That way if we decide Malone will play RT, he can do it for one game before we go down to Baton Rouge and play LSU. But I think we have to make a decision after the first two games so that we can implement whatever OL changes we want for USA week so we can get some familiarity with them before we play LSU.

Coach34
08-03-2014, 10:36 AM
We'll know before then. Our OL goes up against a DL that is one of the top 10 in the country every day. We dont need a game to see if he can handle it

Political Hack
08-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Beckwith, Clayborne, and Malone holding down OG and Day at C could be the best interior OL rotation we've had in over a decade. Clausell is a legit SEC LT and a potential late round/FA NFL type. Figure out RT without disrupting that and we're going to be DAMN good.

CadaverDawg
08-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Beckwith, Clayborne, and Malone holding down OG and Day at C could be the best interior OL rotation we've had in over a decade. Clausell is a legit SEC LT and a potential late round/FA NFL type. Figure out RT without disrupting that and we're going to be DAMN good.

I agree. Robinson concerns me, but hopefully he will want to make one last ditch effort at becoming a millionaire and develop a mean streak.

We need a Mr Coach Klein to find something that pisses Damien off*

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__Y7Xh3LOr_U/SwMTrtOqGqI/AAAAAAAAAa8/h3MEMICBqio/s400/waterboy_xl_01--film-A%5B2%5D.jpg

CadaverDawg
08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Hevesy is definitely doing a good job developing, so hopefully we have a few guys like Flowers, Thomas, etc, step up this year and provide depth and an insight to the next few years on the OL.

We could potentially have the following returning next year....

Malone
Clayborne
Senior
Warren
Carter
Desper
Thomas
Flowers
Johnson

Calhoun
Jenkins
Cochran

And the incoming freshmen that we land this year.

So, while Hevesy hasn't landed a bunch of highly rated OL with tons of offers, he has developed some nice players, and our depth and numbers are starting to look better. It would help tremendously if we could have a good OL haul in this 2015 class....but it's not looking near as bleak as long as Hev continues to turn these Clayborne's into Gabe Jackson's and even Blaine Clausell's.

justwin
08-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes, I find it hard to believe that we get nothing from Robinson over 5 years & I think your 5 below is how it will look. Damien's a smart kid just a little passive up to this point. Robinson & Malone both at 6'7" 320+ on the right side is going to be nasty compared to Beckwith & Malone combo. Personally, I want Malone @ guard if he's the better OL b/c our offense thrives on our best OL being guards protecting the qb.

I think Robinson is much better @ OT paired with Malone @ Guard, a mobile QB in Dak, & so many TEs to assist with chip blocks, etc.

Did I mention Damien is 6 freaking 8 330lbs! That's a man.

[QUOTE=MetEdDawg;221808]One of my buddies and I have been debating our starting 5 for a while. I think we should go:

RT - Robinson
RG - Malone
C - Day
LG - Clayborn
LT - Clausell

FISHDAWG
08-03-2014, 12:49 PM
We'll know before then. Our OL goes up against a DL that is one of the top 10 in the country every day. We dont need a game to see if he can handle it

^^^ this shouldn't be overlooked ^^^ .... when the ball is snapped we will def know who we want where

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Look out for Justin Senior making a move at RT. The fact they moved him over from backup LT to compete with Robinson at RT makes me think Hevesy believes he may be ready for the bright lights.

Coach34
08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Look out for Justin Senior making a move at RT. The fact they moved him over from backup LT to compete with Robinson at RT makes me think Hevesy believes he may be ready for the bright lights.

yeah- I meant to mention that as well

thedawg
08-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Totally agree... Senior is a third year guy... Really a third and a half year guy because he was an early graduate from high school... Its time he played a ton last year and they didn't move him over for no reason