PDA

View Full Version : Nick James

DudyDawg
08-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Better look like this at DWS in about a month. Monster

https://vine.co/v/M9WnbdEQ5Jv

engie
08-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Wow -- Jocquell probably hasn't had that happen to him many times in his career thusfar...

CadaverDawg
08-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Hell yes, Nick James! Get out there and make yourself a millionaire with that mean streak, man

DudyDawg
08-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Lot of great vines from the football twitter go look and watch for those interested in the practice. @HailStateFB

GreenheadDawg
08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm more excited about him than anyone else I think

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Damn he's strong as hell

msstate7
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow -- Jocquell probably hasn't had that happen to him many times in his career thusfar...

Yeah. I hope that's just how good nick is and not an indictment against Johnson

Political Hack
08-02-2014, 04:47 PM
there's no such thing as a five step drop against him and Chris Jones. I just can't see any team in America brin able to do that.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Dontavian Lee man handling JT Gray.... https://vine.co/v/M9Wv5TxwK0w

War Machine Dawg
08-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Holy. Shit. Do y'all have any idea how wooly seeing that makes me?

Speaking of practice, are any of them open to the public? WMD would love to go catch one and do a preseason report.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Holy. Shit. Do y'all have any idea how wooly seeing that makes me?

Speaking of practice, are any of them open to the public? WMD would love to go catch one and do a preseason report.

Today only.... the rest are locked down

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 04:55 PM
That's Nick James, bitch!

War Machine Dawg
08-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Damn, figures it'd be the one day I literally have no way to go. Oh well. 4 weeks.

Offshore Dawg
08-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Who was that butt licking bear that said Nick would never play. ( Take that you POS little toddy bear )

3dawgnight15
08-02-2014, 05:39 PM
If you watch the stretching Vine notice how big Elijah Staley is. He may or may not be QB1 in the future but he is huge

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Think about it. If our d-line can regularly get that kind of pressure there will be no such thing as an opposing offense having a deep ball threat against us. Receivers won't have time to get downfield.

Coach34
08-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Thats great. I love seeing Eulls get all pumped up too. It's that kind of stuff that makes me miss coaching

James looks to be a good shape also. He could play a huge role this year. James, Jones, Eulls, and PJ give us one of the best DT groups in the SEC

Political Hack
08-02-2014, 06:23 PM
juice points.

Statecoachingblows**
08-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Goosebumps

Todd4State
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm telling y'all right now- our best d-line group would be:

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

GreenheadDawg
08-02-2014, 07:13 PM

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

Agreed, Todd. I would love to see that

Statefan
08-02-2014, 07:15 PM

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/07/esq-wool-in-summer-052813-ehvtrC-xlg.jpg

MSUDawg4Life
08-02-2014, 07:15 PM

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

I'd rather see us rotate two full lines like we did in '99. Much more dominate than trying to settle on one defensive line unit.

Coach34
08-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Jones weighs 307- he cant play DE anymore unless its in a 3 man front. He has outgrown the position

Dawgcentral
08-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I'd rather see us rotate two full lines like we did in '99. Much more dominate than trying to settle on one defensive line unit.
I agree with this. Keeping everyone fresh is a priority. Platooning the defensive line will be the difference in pressuring the QB and actually getting to him.

Hell. I think we can platoon the LBs also, though I think that'll be more of a substitution situation due to down, distance, and what the offensive tendencies are in a given situation.

msstate7
08-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Love seeing nick blow up an o'lineman, but I wanna see him do it several times in a row. The question mark with nick is his game shape and him keeping his head in the game.

MSUDawg4Life
08-02-2014, 07:45 PM
I want to see Nick James blasting somebody like that in the fourth quarter with the game on the line.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Don't sell Ryan Brown short at DE

CadaverDawg
08-02-2014, 08:05 PM

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

I like that for possible run situations...but move Chris inside and put Ryan or AJ outside on obvious passing downs

FISHDAWG
08-02-2014, 09:18 PM
looks like he wouldn't do to bad at off guard or tackle

cheewgumm
08-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Amen Todd

Bully13
08-02-2014, 10:16 PM

this X 100. that '99 D-Line was a thing of pure beauty. Mullen should call up JWS so he, Collins and JWS have a long meeting about how best to incorporate it.

Homedawg
08-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Jones weighs 307- he cant play DE anymore unless its in a 3 man front. He has outgrown the position

This. He can play a 5 tech maybe. But he can't play de in a 4-3. He's a way bigger factor taking up two blockers at dt at either the one or 3.

bulldawg28
08-02-2014, 10:55 PM
AJ Jefferson is a man!!! No way he sits which is even better for us. Jones and James in the middle together makes any blitz wide open.

smootness
08-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Disagree. I think he still has the quickness and speed to be able to play on the outside. I do think he's better off inside most of the time, but Reggie White was 300.

But for those talking about 2 DLs, I completely agree. Think about rotating these two lines:

Preston Smith
Chris Jones
PJ Jones
AJ Jefferson

Ryan Brown
Nick James
Kaleb Eulls
Will Coleman/John Harris/Torrey Dale

And that doesn't even include Nelson Adams or any of the freshmen.

msstate7
08-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Disagree. I think he still has the quickness and speed to be able to play on the outside. I do think he's better off inside most of the time, but Reggie White was 300.

But for those talking about 2 DLs, I completely agree. Think about rotating these two lines:

Preston Smith
Chris Jones
PJ Jones
AJ Jefferson

Ryan Brown
Nick James
Kaleb Eulls
Will Coleman/John Harris/Torrey Dale

And that doesn't even include Nelson Adams or any of the freshmen.

If Reggie white can play de at 300, so can you, Chris jones. You're ever bit as good as Reggie***

I do think Chris jones could potentially play end, but maybe it's too early to compare him to Reggie

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:40 PM

Exactly. Its more about how he carries the weight. It's not like he's 6'3" 300+. The dude is a legit 6'6" with a statuesque body that would make Michelangelo cream his pants. His explosiveness and speed have not tapered off with the added weight. I honestly think the main reason he was moved to DT last year had more to do with his lack of polished technique, as opposed to him being "more fit" to play the position. Last year he was essentially playing off of pure athleticism. Once that boy gets his mechanics (etc.) down, he'll be unstoppable, regardless if it's at DT or DE.

That being said, I do agree that him and Nick James at DT both requiring double-teams, basically makes our blitzes unstoppable. That makes me feel dirty just thinking about how nasty that could be.....

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 11:47 PM
The problem for opposing offenses is, in my opinion, that with this dl we don't even have to blitz.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:48 PM
The problem for opposing offenses is, in my opinion, that with this dl we don't even have to blitz.

Hopefully you're right. Getting pressure with just our front 4 will be key this year.

smootness
08-02-2014, 11:54 PM
If Reggie white can play de at 300, so can you, Chris jones. You're ever bit as good as Reggie***

I do think Chris jones could potentially play end, but maybe it's too early to compare him to Reggie

Why does everyone assume that any time one player is used as a comparison in any way to another, then they must be comparing them in all ways?

He said that CJ has 'outgrown' DE. By using Reggie White, who played at 6'5" 300, I was showing that it's not a fact that once someone gets to that size, they definitely can't play DE anymore. I wasn't saying Chris Jones = Reggie White, but he is a similar size (in fact, CJ probably has less belly fat right now if you look at pictures of White playing). In fact, heck, if Reggie White is the greatest to ever play, maybe 6'5" 300 is actually prototypical DE size.

Obviously I know that it isn't, but if you can play at that size with the speed and quickness to play DE (which CJ may or may not be able to do, we really don't know), then why not?

engie
08-03-2014, 12:07 AM

Well, in that case, why don't you go ahead and come up with a prototype for us to compare Chris Jones to? Should be pretty easy, right?

msstate7
08-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Why does everyone assume that any time one player is used as a comparison in any way to another, then they must be comparing them in all ways?

He said that CJ has 'outgrown' DE. By using Reggie White, who played at 6'5" 300, I was showing that it's not a fact that once someone gets to that size, they definitely can't play DE anymore. I wasn't saying Chris Jones = Reggie White, but he is a similar size (in fact, CJ probably has less belly fat right now if you look at pictures of White playing). In fact, heck, if Reggie White is the greatest to ever play, maybe 6'5" 300 is actually prototypical DE size.

Obviously I know that it isn't, but if you can play at that size with the speed and quickness to play DE (which CJ may or may not be able to do, we really don't know), then why not?

I realize you weren't saying they're equal players. It's just you used one player (the best de ever) as an example of a 300 lb de.

Schultzy
08-03-2014, 12:11 AM
He looked good off the end against lsu. Just ask their right tackle.

smootness
08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
I realize you weren't saying they're equal players. It's just you used one player (the best de ever) as an example of a 300 lb de.

Either way, it proves the point wrong that Chris Jones has outgrown DE. He may have, he may not have.

It would be like saying a basketball player with great quickness, great handle, and great vision has outgrown PG because he's 6'6" now.

msstate7
08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Well, in that case, why don't you go ahead and come up with a prototype for us to compare Chris Jones to? Should be pretty easy, right?

How about a quicker, slimmer version of dorsett Davis. Obviously Chris is more talented

engie
08-03-2014, 12:23 AM
How about a quicker, slimmer version of dorsett Davis. Obviously Chris is more talented

No comparison.

And that's my point. It's ridiculous to label what many believe to be a once-in-a-generation talent and try to define what he can and can't be... after his THIRD YEAR OVERALL of organized football...

He looked pretty damn good at DE last year. He's got measureables that literally may end up being unable to compare to anyone that's played the game before...

Yet people want to look at his weight and label him a DT -- and I just don't understand it?

bulldawg28
08-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Nooooooo. Dorsett couldn't carry a freshman Chris Jones's jockstrap. As mentioned by Engie he's got God given talent beyond measure. IF there is a drawback it's that he has to adjust to being 300 lbs. Once every part of his body is normalized at whatever weight he'll play he has the potential to be All everything.

cheewgumm
08-03-2014, 08:15 AM
It seems like he has to play DT because we have better DEs than DTs do we have to out him there.

What will happen is :

He will beg to play DE his whole career , but won't.
He will go to NFL and become Reggie white 2.0.
We'll talk for years about what if we would have played him more at DE. Ha

Honestly i think it won't matter much as he helps tremendously wherever.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Exactly. Its more about how he carries the weight. It's not like he's 6'3" 300+. The dude is a legit 6'6" with a statuesque body that would make Michelangelo cream his pants. His explosiveness and speed have not tapered off with the added weight. I honestly think the main reason he was moved to DT last year had more to do with his lack of polished technique, as opposed to him being "more fit" to play the position. Last year he was essentially playing off of pure athleticism. Once that boy gets his mechanics (etc.) down, he'll be unstoppable, regardless if it's at DT or DE.

That being said, I do agree that him and Nick James at DT both requiring double-teams, basically makes our blitzes unstoppable. That makes me feel dirty just thinking about how nasty that could be.....

Clowney played inside his freshman year also. Most freshmen don't have the technique to be very successful against a good SEC LT.

whosyourdawgy
08-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Did y'all even listen to Chris jones yesterday. Collins has more packages that put him in at de and Jones is really excited about that. Also listening to Collins on every interview, we are gonna platoon the entire Dline. Starters mean absolutely nothing. We are absolutely loaded at this spot. Only one person in this entire thread mentioned Nelson Adams, which shows how deep we are because Nelson will see plenty of action in that rotation too. Psycho defense is just that. Never know who or what is gonna happen on a given play.

Coach34
08-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Chris is not quick enough at 307 to play a 4-3 DE- he will be an outstanding 3-4 DE and that will probably be his NFL position

Watch Smith come off the edge and then you can see the difference

mic
08-03-2014, 09:27 AM
We will have so many different looks with future NFL guys on defense Coach Collins probably has a hard on with all the possibilities ...
Basically every football preview from magazines to college football breakdowns have our DL in the top half of SEC and a few in top of NCAA and they aren't even considering much from Nick James...

Political Hack
08-03-2014, 09:29 AM
C34 is right at the NFL level. He's good enough at the college level to play CB if we need him too.*** Just line his ass up and tell him to eat. He can play 0 and he can play rush end in the SEC, especially with our LBs behind him.

engie
08-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Chris is not quick enough at 307 to play a 4-3 DE- he will be an outstanding 3-4 DE and that will probably be his NFL position

Feel free to show me the actual difference between he and Preston on film. Because it isn't in first step explosiveness -- or even 40 time for that matter...

hacker
08-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Did y'all even listen to Chris jones yesterday. Collins has more packages that put him in at de and Jones is really excited about that. Also listening to Collins on every interview, we are gonna platoon the entire Dline. Starters mean absolutely nothing. We are absolutely loaded at this spot. Only one person in this entire thread mentioned Nelson Adams, which shows how deep we are because Nelson will see plenty of action in that rotation too. Psycho defense is just that. Never know who or what is gonna happen on a given play.

This.

Chris is adamant on being an end and they are letting him play end more this year.

He's not too ****ing big.

thf24
08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
C34 is right at the NFL level. He's good enough at the college level to play CB if we need him too.*** Just line his ass up and tell him to eat. He can play 0 and he can play rush end in the SEC, especially with our LBs behind him.

Agreed. He's a 4-3 DT at the next level if all things stay the same, but he would be at no disadvantage against all but experienced, elite college LT's playing at end. Just ask the LSU RT from last year. He's going to dominate wherever he lines up.

archdog
08-03-2014, 05:05 PM

DE Chris Jones
DT PJ Jones
DT Nick James
DE Preston Smith

Agreed. Aj jefferson could turn some heads too.

Todd4State
08-03-2014, 05:28 PM
My prototypical DE is a guy that is 6'7" 300 and runs a 4.7 40.

Prototypical as in if I could make one- which is pretty much limited to Xbox and "create your player".

The closest comps I can come to that are Reggie White and Julius Peppers.

Todd4State
08-03-2014, 05:29 PM

If I see Chris and he looks slower against USM, then I will agree.

Pollodawg
08-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I don't care where they put Jones as long as he's making life miserable in SEC backfields all Fall.

defiantdog
08-03-2014, 05:43 PM
It seems that NFL and colleges are both looking for DE's to be between 255 and 280 now. Reggie White is a dying breed for DE's. DE's are expected to be hybrid LB's now. And Julius Peppers is simply a freak of nature.... to be 6'7" 290 lbs and be that fast. A 308lb DE is unheard of in any defense. Granted.... Chris is a dynamic pass rusher, but with that 308 frame, it would be an incredible task to catch someone breaking to the sidelines.

smootness
08-03-2014, 05:43 PM
If I see Chris and he looks slower against USM, then I will agree.

He was that weight last year, except it looks like he's removed a little fat and replaced it with muscle. My guess is that he'll be a little stronger, quicker, and faster than last year.

smootness
08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
It seems that NFL and colleges are both looking for DE's to be between 255 and 280 now. Reggie White is a dying breed for DE's. DE's are expected to be hybrid LB's now. And Julius Peppers is simply a freak of nature.... to be 6'7" 290 lbs and be that fast. A 308lb DE is unheard of in any defense. Granted.... Chris is a dynamic pass rusher, but with that 308 frame, it would be an incredible task to catch someone breaking to the sidelines.

I agree with this to some degree, but Chris Jones is also a freak of nature.

Todd4State
08-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Part of it is like Coach is saying- what front they use, whether it's a 4-3 or a 3-4.

But I also think part of it is because there aren't a lot of guys that are 6'7" 300 out there that run a 4.7 40. I'm just saying the Packers didn't have a problem putting Reggie White in a 4-3 despite his size. BUT he also had the speed and power he could play in any defensive system. Plus, I'm sure he probably moved around some on the d-line between DE and DT during games. He just happened to have the DE label.

Todd4State
08-03-2014, 05:57 PM
He was that weight last year, except it looks like he's removed a little fat and replaced it with muscle. My guess is that he'll be a little stronger, quicker, and faster than last year.
:)