PDA

View Full Version : Dayum...Mullen calling out the fans.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Said that he can't wait for the day we have a full stadium and they stay for the entire game.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I guarantee fans will stay till the end of the game if the team plays like we think they will. You might have people leaving in the 4th for the USM/Alcorn games but the stadium should be full and stay full for Auburn, Vandy, Arkansas, and TAM. If it isn't then that means we are getting blown out.

blacklistedbully
08-02-2014, 03:35 PM
NM

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 03:35 PM
That press conference had a lot of good quotes about every position group. The ones I liked were that 4th and 1 was made for Dak and that Bear brings size to the wr group. We have other guys that bring speed. Also that none of the players are content with just a bowl game. They want to compete for a conference championship.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 03:37 PM
NM
I assume you are referencing that LSU game. I was able to go to that one and you are right. He laid down at the end of that one.

RiverCityDawg
08-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I guarantee fans will stay till the end of the game if the team plays like we think they will. You might have people leaving in the 4th for the USM/Alcorn games but the stadium should be full and stay full for Auburn, Vandy, Arkansas, and TAM. If it isn't then that means we are getting blown out.

Some of our fans need to get called out over this. Leaving at halftime "just because" or to get to the after party is pathetic. Last year we had fans leave the UK and bowling green games early and those were both close games. I know some people have to drive home long distances, but there's no excuse for the students to leave early and it's becoming a bigger problem every year.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Some of our fans need to get called out over this. Leaving at halftime "just because" or to get to the after party is pathetic. Last year we had fans leave the UK and bowling green games early and those were both close games. I know some people have to drive home long distances, but there's no excuse for the students to leave early and it's becoming a bigger problem every year.

I left the Kentucky game early because my ride got pissed at how we were playing and was leaving. In retrospect, I should have just gotten him or someone else to pick me up after the game if he was unwilling to come back and get me.

But most people left those games because they felt like we were under-performing on the field.

smootness
08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I left the Kentucky game early because my ride got pissed at how we were playing and was leaving. In retrospect, I should have just gotten him or someone else to pick me up after the game if he was unwilling to come back and get me.

But most people left those games because they felt like we were under-performing on the field.

That probably needs to be called out, though, because it's a pretty strange and counterproductive way to go about being a fan. The team isn't always going to come out as sharp as possible, and it certainly doesn't help when the fans leave and there is less support.

Once fans see themselves as invested in the product rather than just consumers of it, they become much more beneficial to the team.

MSUDeltadawg1971
08-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I drive 8 hours to watch a game and can't wait to get back to Starkville for the next game, I'm not leaving early.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 04:05 PM
That probably needs to be called out, though, because it's a pretty strange and counterproductive way to go about being a fan. The team isn't always going to come out as sharp as possible, and it certainly doesn't help when the fans leave and there is less support.

Once fans see themselves as invested in the product rather than just consumers of it, they become much more beneficial to the team.
I agree. Why would fans leaving make you play any better? It wouldn't and won't. Like I said, I should have stayed and found a different ride but that's done and can't change it now. I won't be leaving any game early this season regardless of what my little group wants to do.

It didn't help that my ride for the game is first and foremost a Bama fan. He just goes to school here so he supports the team until they don't live up to his expectations and then he's done.

Todd4State
08-02-2014, 04:09 PM
I think there are a lot of factors as to why people leave early.

1. I don't think the team is playing "like they should/to their potential, etc." Look, it's unrealistic to beat everyone 56-0 and have every position group play a clean game. Now, I do think that perfection is a good thing to shoot for, but you also have to have the understanding and expectation that it's also not likely to be achieved. If we can't achieve perfection against Alcorn or Jackson State, we're probably not going to be able to do so against Kentucky. Even teams that win National Titles are going to have to things that don't go perfectly or up to potential every time out against teams that they are significantly better than. So, getting upset and leaving over that is fairly silly. And everyone should be able to control their temper over whatever the problem is until after the game when they can vent afterwards.

2. "Todd, that's a straw man. I don't expect to beat Alabama, LSU, or Auburn 56-0." Not a problem. Then stay for the entire game.

3. The Junction has created a Grove type atmosphere for us where people just come to tailgate and some don't go in for the game. I'm not exactly sure how to solve this.

4. The Greeks have been leaving early for years to get ready for their parties. I think the issue there is simply to come to an agreement that no frat parties are to begin until the football game is over.

DudyDawg
08-02-2014, 04:17 PM
None of the bands start at fraternity parties until well after games and very few (like, 3) have to go set up. A lot of the reason Gelreeks leave early is that they have to come in so early to save sections and end up spending 6 hours in a hot stadium, so if the game isn't good they leave. I think block seating would fix a lot of that.

Dawg61
08-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Students in college are going to leave early no matter what. Why? Because alcohol, ***** and partying are always going to outweigh the last quarter for a certain portion of fans. Then you have the portion that wants to beat the rush to the restaurant/bars or beating the traffic. The biggest games people won't leave early. Just is what it is. Hell Alabama has problems with fans leaving early.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Cabs are $5 and take you wherever you to go in starkville, nut the fuk up.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Cabs are $5 and take you wherever you to go in starkville, nut the fuk up.

How about you shut the fuk up? I made a mistake leaving. I've said it three times now

Political Hack
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
fans leaving at half is what's going to get the SEC to allow beer to be sold in games. Not sure if that's viewed as a positive or negative by most, but it's what's going to happen... at some point.

War Machine Dawg
08-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Bingo. When you're a little flat or just not sharp, fans can make a big difference. It's why they call it home field advantage.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-02-2014, 04:58 PM
How about you shut the fuk up? I made a mistake leaving. I've said it three times now

You sound worse than a private bitching about eating MRE's for breakfast while we were getting to invade a fuking country.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 05:05 PM
You sound worse than a private bitching about eating MRE's for breakfast while we were getting to invade a fuking country.

I'll take your word for it since I've never been in the military

http://cdn.overclock.net/7/7e/500x1000px-LL-7eb83b8d_168777357_org.jpeg

HereComesTheSpiral
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I'll take your word for it since I've never been in the military

http://cdn.overclock.net/7/7e/500x1000px-LL-7eb83b8d_168777357_org.jpeg

Congratulations, you saved the government the price of a round for not offing yourself

LC Dawg
08-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't know what the answer is to the students leaving early but it's embarrassing when we win and the team comes over after the game to sing the alma mater and there's no one to sing with them.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I can't afford season tickets so I rarely get to go to a game, but when someone does have some extras and I get to go my butt is in my seat until that final whistle. I love going to MSU football games and when an opportunity presents itself I don't even leave to take a whiz. Got to take the kids to their first game last year. Alcorn State and hotter than Miranda Kerr but we were there the whole game. It was worth it too. Now my kids are big time football fans.

civildawg
08-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Well I can't wait for the day he actually upsets one of the big boys. I will admit I leave early when we are playing a crappy team. I'm not going to sit there and watch us beat the crap out of ut martain when I could be watching lsu vs Alabama or something like that. I paid for the tickets I'll do whatever the hell I want

bluelightstar
08-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Students aren't going to stay to watch us beat a nobody we should rout by 30, and aren't going to stay when LSU goes up by 21 in the 4th quarter. Forget it. Sorry, it's the new normal -- all across the country and the conference.

Dawgcentral
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I have too much invested in attending games to miss any of it. 52 weekends in a year and I try my best to spend 3-4 hours at DWS for 7 of those weekends.

I won't bother with condemning other alumni for leaving early,..nothing I say matters much in that regard. But student leaving to go party at the frats is all too frequent. The party is going to be there. There's plenty of time. I never left a game early as a student.

SPMT
08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Congratulations, you saved the government the price of a round for not offing yourself

We can't wait to have a new kicking coach and to see our coaches run Tyler on called runs on 3 and short five times per game.

PassInterference
08-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I blame tailgating. Right outside the stadium there is TV, open bars, a decent chair, and hot ass.

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I blame tailgating. Right outside the stadium there is TV, open bars, a decent chair, and hot ass.

A new law shall be passed in Starkville that all bars shall be closed during the game and all digital media cut off***

jbjones
08-02-2014, 09:06 PM
I really hate to call out MSU fans, but Mullen had to at least make an effort. I agree with him. I also wish we could do some sort of education, kind of like how we lay out the rules of the cowbell. I am growing weary of many that think it's just fine to ring/yell while the Offense is at work, and sit and chat while the D is working. It's very frustrating.

I undstand that not everyone "knows" football, but we have to do something to get these folks on the same page.

RiverCityDawg
08-02-2014, 09:47 PM
The truth is we have a lot of spoiled brat students who take winning for granted. As someone who was a student during the 02-06 seasons, I enjoy the hell out of every win now. It pisses me off to see students leave at the half because we are winning big or not playing up to their bull shit standards but still very much in the game. We haven't always easily beat down UT Martin type teams and the day could come when we don't again. ENJOY IT!

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 09:59 PM
The truth is we have a lot of spoiled brat students who take winning for granted. As someone who was a student during the 02-06 seasons, I enjoy the hell out of every win now. It pisses me off to see students leave at the half because we are winning big or not playing up to their bull shit standards but still very much in the game. We haven't always easily beat down UT Martin type teams and the day could come when we don't again. ENJOY IT!

lol

bluelightstar
08-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Again, students are leaving early everywhere

mstatefan91
08-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Again, students are leaving early everywhere

And not just students, but if you can get the students to stay then you've solved part of the problem

Bully13
08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I'd be wiling to bet the percentage of walk off fans at MSU games are similar to those at LSU, Bamer, the Barn, etc. it's just exasperated on our part when they've got 95K and we're at 58K.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I agree strongly with both sides of the argument.

Bully13
08-02-2014, 11:03 PM
I agree strongly with both sides of the argument.

You need to run for political office.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 11:12 PM
You need to run for political office.

I would win, with much fervor for my political positions, and then get sucked into the political whims of the day only to help screw everyone but myself.

dawg27
08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I do agree i was at the uk game it was never even close to being full i recorded the game, and went home and watched it. It looked bad on tv when the cam scaned across the stands it looked bad on tv. There are only 12 games a year 6 home sometimes 7 home games that is it so we should stay and make it a great place to be croots do look at that,and i am not talking about fan 91 i have left to we all need to stay.

DudyDawg
08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
You forgot about 14 of these .

War Machine Dawg
08-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I do agree i was at the uk game it was never even close to being full i recorded the game, and went home and watched it. It looked bad on tv when the cam scaned across the stands it looked bad on tv. There are only 12 games a year 6 home sometimes 7 home games that is it so we should stay and make it a great place to be croots do look at that,and i am not talking about fan 91 i have left to we all need to stay.

That's because the UK game was Thursday night. It's hard as hell for people to get off work for a weeknight game. We needed to have the "any time, anywhere" mentality for TV at one point, but it doesn't make sense for us now. Football is on TV all the time with the expansion of sports channels and the SEC Network starting. If we ever have another Thursday night game, other than the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving, we should be looking for a new AD.

TheRef
08-03-2014, 02:25 PM
That's because the UK game was Thursday night. It's hard as hell for people to get off work for a weeknight game. We needed to have the "any time, anywhere" mentality for TV at one point, but it doesn't make sense for us now. Football is on TV all the time with the expansion of sports channels and the SEC Network starting. If we ever have another Thursday night game, other than the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving, we should be looking for a new AD.

Also doesn't help that the UK game was the first day of Fall Break, AKA the first time that some students have the ability to go home without stressing themselves out. THAT is the primary reason why there were so few students in the stands for that game. If Scott wants students at the games, don't schedule home games the same weekend as a Fall Break. That's just my $0.02

Political Hack
08-03-2014, 02:26 PM

+2

mstatefan91
08-03-2014, 02:29 PM
+2

That and it was fall break. Most students left to go home. That game was just a recipe for disaster as far as attendance goes.

War Machine Dawg
08-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Also doesn't help that the UK game was the first day of Fall Break, AKA the first time that some students have the ability to go home without stressing themselves out. THAT is the primary reason why there were so few students in the stands for that game. If Scott wants students at the games, don't schedule home games the same weekend as a Fall Break. That's just my $0.02

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Which even further highlights just how ridiculous it is to judge attendance from the UK game. Scott should've been publicly flogged for scheduling a Thursday night game on fall break.

But it really doesn't make sense for us to whore ourselves out for TV anymore when there are 3 ESPNs, Fox, ABC and the SEC Network all carrying football games now. The ONLY time we should have a Thursday game anymore is the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. We get plenty of exposure as it is and we no longer need the revenue, as we're about to be a $100M athletic department. Keep our home games on Saturdays and focus on improving the game day and in-game experiences. I understand you need to recognize the big donors, but wait until the quarter change. Doing it after every damn TV time out kills the crowd. Turn off the f'n adds and blast some music. Shell out the dough to get the band a decent music selection to play, instead of being stuck with shit from 15 years ago. Put some mics on the band so you can actually hear them when they play during the game. And for the love of all things holy, stop giving the f'n male cheerleader a mic for the maroon & white cheer (sponsored by Ford!!!! :roll eyes: ). It's so much better when you let the crowd build it themselves instead of forcing it. Just my thoughts, not that anyone gives a damn.

civildawg
08-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Which even further highlights just how ridiculous it is to judge attendance from the UK game. Scott should've been publicly flogged for scheduling a Thursday night game on fall break.

But it really doesn't make sense for us to whore ourselves out for TV anymore when there are 3 ESPNs, Fox, ABC and the SEC Network all carrying football games now. The ONLY time we should have a Thursday game anymore is the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. We get plenty of exposure as it is and we no longer need the revenue, as we're about to be a $100M athletic department. Keep our home games on Saturdays and focus on improving the game day and in-game experiences. I understand you need to recognize the big donors, but wait until the quarter change. Doing it after every damn TV time out kills the crowd. Turn off the f'n adds and blast some music. Shell out the dough to get the band a decent music selection to play, instead of being stuck with shit from 15 years ago. Put some mics on the band so you can actually hear them when they play during the game. And for the love of all things holy, stop giving the f'n male cheerleader a mic for the maroon & white cheer (sponsored by Ford!!!! :roll eyes: ). It's so much better when you let the crowd build it themselves instead of forcing it. Just my thoughts, not that anyone gives a damn.

This is one of my biggest gameday arguments. There is no sugar coating it, our band is the worst in the SEC. We play the same crap year in and year out, I feel like we need to gut our band department and start over. They are terrible.

Johnson85
08-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I have too much invested in attending games to miss any of it. 52 weekends in a year and I try my best to spend 3-4 hours at DWS for 7 of those weekends.

I won't bother with condemning other alumni for leaving early,..nothing I say matters much in that regard. But student leaving to go party at the frats is all too frequent. The party is going to be there. There's plenty of time. I never left a game early as a student.

Students aren't leaving to go party at the frats. There's basically nothing going on there during football games. If they're leaving, it's because they don't care much about football. Shouldn't be surprising that a lot of students are enough of a fan to show up to tailgate and make an appearance at the game, but enough of a fan to stick it out for four hours in weather that is often uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with not loving football, it just sucks that there is no easy way to make sure they don't suck up good seating.

Dog316
08-04-2014, 09:10 AM

^^^^^*

Classy post! Not

Pollodawg
08-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Thursday night games suck. Like you said, it's hard to get off to go anyway, and then you have to be back at 6.00 am to work. When you live 2+ hours away and have a couple of young kids, that's hard to do.

But like Bluelightstar said, attendance is down everywhere, and it isn't just students. With so much being on TV now, it's harder and harder to leave the comfort of the couch and the fridge stocked with beer.

jumbo
08-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I drive 8 hours to watch a game and can't wait to get back to Starkville for the next game, I'm not leaving early.

Same here but not quite as far. LSU was the only game I could go to last year and I stayed all the way till the very end. I'm glad Dan made the comments he did, not that it will help a lot.

Pollodawg
08-04-2014, 09:43 AM
People who've never been to live college sporting events ask me about it. You go for the atmosphere and to hangout with folks you haven't seen in a while, get a good buzz rolling, and go yell or ring for four hours with the same people. If you don't care about any of that and all you want to do is watch the game, the best seat in the house is the Lazy Boy in your house.