PDA

View Full Version : Bear Wilson

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Okay.... the new strength coach is doing work. Cause Bear was a skinny guy last year. He's now 6'5" 225lbs.... I've never seen MSU have receivers like we do now.... wow

http://i59.tinypic.com/k985tt.jpg

Coach34
08-02-2014, 02:02 PM
He's going to be tough to deal with this year for most CB's

Dawg61
08-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Bear needs a shiny gold grill or a gold mouthpiece, I don't ever remember liking a true Soph WR as much as Bear Wilson.

Todd4State
08-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Y'all can call me crazy, but I think Bear has a real chance to be a three year guy. I think he will bust out this year.

Dawg61
08-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Y'all can call me crazy, but I think Bear has a real chance to be a three year guy. I think he will bust out this year.

If he does and Jameon has a similar or better year than last we'd have 2of3 All-SEC type starting WRs

HoopsDawg
08-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Not enough speed for that Todd. That's why we need someone other than Rojo on the other side.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Not enough speed for that Todd. That's why we need someone other than Rojo on the other side.

He's 6'5" 225lbs and runs a 4.5 forty.... and he won't get jammed at the line. What are expecting? Calvin Johnson? Bear is going to be a stud once he gets the fundamentals down. Georgia fans used to say A.J. Green was too slow as well.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Mullen himself said today Bear doesn't have the speed of the group. Said he brings the size and other guys bring the speed.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Mullen himself said today Bear doesn't have the speed of the group. Said he brings the size and other guys bring the speed.

That's because we have some damn good speed at receiver. But Bear is still fast for his size.... and I doubt he'll ever lose a jump ball.

smootness
08-02-2014, 05:13 PM

There have been a ton of 'too slow' WRs who were studs in the NFL. Alston Jeffery is the latest. Wilson has at least that much speed.

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 05:15 PM
I wasn't implying he was a lead foot. Just saying that Mullen was planning on using his size more than his speed. Felt that was his strongest hand he brought to the table.

defiantdog
08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
I wasn't implying he was a lead foot. Just saying that Mullen was planning on using his size more than his speed. Felt that was his strongest hand he brought to the table.

I agree with that.... but he will be a deep threat in one on one coverage. Not many DB's can't beat him on a jump ball.

blacklistedbully
08-02-2014, 05:24 PM
They used to say Jerry Rice was too slow.

Dawgfan77
08-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Bear is just as fast as paidwell with a higher ceiling IMO.

msstate7
08-02-2014, 06:20 PM
There have been a ton of 'too slow' WRs who were studs in the NFL. Alston Jeffery is the latest. Wilson has at least that much speed.

Jeffrey is a good idea of where bear can get IMO. Bear just has to play like a bear. He has to be physical

Todd4State
08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
I saw Bear completely burn one of LSU's CB's last year for a TD. He may run a 4.5, but he has plenty of speed. He also has some time to work on his 40 and get it down to 4.4- he's almost there as it is.

I don't disagree with Dan that we should use Bear's size and physicality or that's he's not our fastest guy- but that doesn't mean he won't be our best guy.

gravedigger
08-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I agree there is that potential. But if it happens, it will be due to an all American year for Dak. I'm talking Top 5 year or better.

Bear has some kind of potential. I just want us to use him in 'lightning strike' moments like what he did to LSU on the long TD and OM on the major 1st down conversion.

We win a game vs Bama, LSU, or a major bowl with Bear being on the highlight reel, your prediction could come true, but only if we are in the title hunt.

bluelightstar
08-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I saw Bear completely burn one of LSU's CB's last year for a TD. He may run a 4.5, but he has plenty of speed. He also has some time to work on his 40 and get it down to 4.4- he's almost there as it is.

I don't disagree with Dan that we should use Bear's size and physicality or that's he's not our fastest guy- but that doesn't mean he won't be our best guy.

I'm a huge fan of Bear, but he definitely "created separation" against LSU on that TD man. But hey if you get away with it, I love it.

thf24
08-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Agility and crisp route running are more important than speed in getting separation on anything but a fly route. If Bear has honed those areas to go with his huge vertical and natural instincts for attacking the ball, he'll be unstoppable.

shoeless joe
08-02-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm a huge fan of Bear, but he definitely "created separation" against LSU on that TD man. But hey if you get away with it, I love it.

This is true. This occurred rite in front of us and by no means did he "burn" or "beat" that CB. but I think he can be awesome for us this year and beyond. A big physical possession reciever is irreplaceable, just ask Troy aikman how valuable #88 was.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 10:23 PM

If you don't extend your arm fully it's not getting called, he did that perfectly on that play. All of our receivers need to be physical like that.
I'm talking ref mechanics here. Just listening to a ref talk about this specific play you're referring to.

Homedawg
08-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Bear is just as fast as paidwell with a higher ceiling IMO.

I love bear, but he isn't as fast as Treadwell.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 10:48 PM
I love bear, but he isn't as fast as Treadwell.

Tread well doesn't have moncrief speed. I disagree.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Tread well doesn't have moncrief speed. I disagree.

Disagree. Treadwell is faster than Moncrief, but he isn't as strong. Donte was extremely physical. OM's offense will miss Moncrief big time.

smootness
08-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Disagree. Treadwell is faster than Moncrief, but he isn't as strong. Donte was extremely physical. OM's offense will miss Moncrief big time.

Woah woah woah. I have to disagree with this. Moncrief has elite, burner speed. Treadwell is extremely talented and definitely fast enough, but he's more of a big, physical guy than a burner.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Woah woah woah. I have to disagree with this. Moncrief has elite, burner speed. Treadwell is extremely talented and definitely fast enough, but he's more of a big, physical guy than a burner.

Thank you, I don't know where people are getting this speed stuff from, he's big and all but he ain't separating deep from sec corners.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:32 PM

I'm just going off of how they used the two in their offense. I know Moncrief clocked really well at the combine, but they used him on those post routes and jump-ball plays, almost always catching the ball in traffic, while Treadwell generally caught the ball wide open 5 yards deep in the bubble. He may not have the top end speed that Moncrief has, I'll give you that (perhaps I misspoke), but his shiftiness and "juke" is what stood out to me.

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't remember him making many miss last year but his physical nature is his best asset to me.
I'll say this, not having Moncrief's speed on the other side will make things much more difficult for him.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:45 PM
I don't remember him making many miss last year but his physical nature is his best asset to me.
I'll say this, not having Moncrief's speed on the other side will make thing much more difficult for him.

I just remember Moncrief going up and snatching the ball out of the air, with guys draped all over him.

Think 1st play vs. J. Banks in the 2012 egg bowl: that was one of the few times DC dipshit had our secondary in man, and Banks had him covered about as well as he could have, but the dude just made an incredibly strong play and grabbed the ball out of the air. The rest of the game we were in that limp dick zone and we got burnt to pieces.

I agree about them missing Moncrief, though. Regardless for why he'll be missed, those OM peeps who think their offense is just gonna keep rolling like it was are in for a rude awakening; you just don't replace a guy like that and keep on keepin' on.

smootness
08-02-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm just going off of how they used the two in their offense. I know Moncrief clocked really well at the combine, but they used him on those post routes and jump-ball plays, almost always catching the ball in traffic, while Treadwell generally caught the ball wide open 5 yards deep in the bubble. He may not have the top end speed that Moncrief has, I'll give you that (perhaps I misspoke), but his shiftiness and "juke" is what stood out to me.

Well, Ole Miss didn't necessarily use Moncrief correctly. But Treadwell averaged under 10 ypc last year; he wasn't making a lot of people miss or burning them.

CadaverDawg
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Bear will get 3 years of Dak while at MSU.....Paid will get 2 years with the blonde bitch, and then a year with a rookie. Advantage=Bear

Paidwell has more front end talent, but he will not improve at OM.(His stats might bc Moncrief is gone, but HE will not improve as a player imo). Meanwhile, Bear is more raw on the front end, but has the potential to be outstanding his final 2-3 years....especially with our development at MSU.

Treadwell will still get drafted really high bc he was a #1 Highschool WR.....but he will not show true progression until he gets to the NFL IMO. You can't spell "No Development" without "OM"

Schultzy
08-02-2014, 11:55 PM
I just remember Moncrief going up and snatching the ball out of the air, with guys draped all over him.

Think 1st play vs. J. Banks in the 2012 egg bowl: that was one of the few times DC dipshit had our secondary in man, and Banks had him covered about as well as he could have, but the dude just made an incredibly strong play and grabbed the ball out of the air. The rest of the game we were in that limp dick zone and we got burnt to pieces.

I agree about them missing Moncrief, though. Regardless for why he'll be missed, those OM peeps who think their offense is just gonna keep rolling like it was are in for a rude awakening; you just don't replace a guy like that and keep on keepin' on.

Yeah, Moncrief was able to catch in traffic and speedy and physical. I just think Treadwell has two of those three traits. Not saying he is slow but can move for a guy his size.
Should be good in the red zone but this year but he will get much more attention from the safeties with Moncrief gone. He was the steal of the draft I think.

BeardoMSU
08-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Well, Ole Miss didn't necessarily use Moncrief correctly. But Treadwell averaged under 10 ypc last year; he wasn't making a lot of people miss or burning them.

Yeah, that's true. The fact that Treadwell led the conference in receptions says a lot about that dynamic. They essentially said "FU" to their work-horse, just to show future recruits that they'll "feed them", lol. Unfortunately for Moncrief, he was still hungry after most games.....

CadaverDawg
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah, that's true. The fact that Treadwell led the conference in receptions says a lot about that dynamic. They essentially said "FU" to their work-horse, just to show future recruits that they'll "feed them", lol. Unfortunately for Moncrief, he was still hungry after most games.....

Rod Taylor must have been stealing Crief's food*

Schultzy
08-03-2014, 12:02 AM

I was thinking this the second half of last year.

Coackjek
08-03-2014, 01:05 AM
They used to say Jerry Rice was too slow.

^^^this

Todd4State
08-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm sure it was hard for Moncrief to show off his speed when his QB can only throw the ball downfield 20 yards MAX. That's why he was always having to use his size and having to go after jump balls.

That's probably at least part of the reason why Moncrief went ahead and left for the NFL.

cheewgumm
08-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I think Moncrief would dust Treadwell in a 100 meters race .

I'd be pissed if I were Treadwell that I came here with all the excitement and all they do is throw me 3 yd passes.

Homedawg
08-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you, I don't know where people are getting this speed stuff from, he's big and all but he ain't separating deep from sec corners.

I never said he was elite. But bear doesn't run a 4.5 either. Treadwell is faster.

Dawgfan77
08-03-2014, 08:51 AM
I never said he was elite. But bear doesn't run a 4.5 either. Treadwell is faster.
Treadwell is not faster. He is a big target that was polished in hs and had good hands. His stats are misleading cause he caught screens all year. Neither have Moncreif speed both are 4.5 to 4.6 guys. Bear played one year of hs fb while paidwell played all through hs. Paidwell is not going to take over a game due his speed but he has good body control uses his frame well and has good ball skills.
I am not sure why some think he has elite speed

Perpetual Underachiever
08-03-2014, 09:01 AM
If you don't extend your arm fully it's not getting called, he did that perfectly on that play. All of our receivers need to be physical like that.
I'm talking ref mechanics here. Just listening to a ref talk about this specific play you're referring to.

Video of the TD in question:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9777816

Agreed. This is an easy "No Call." All of our WR's need to get more physical.

archdog
08-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Thats the way to play it. A little bump right before you jump. It almost never gets called.

Reason2succeed
08-03-2014, 09:53 AM
As a basketball player Bear must have developed those types of bump and jump skills. Basketball is all about referee deception and not getting the foul called. I love it.

Did you guys hear what coach Gonzalez said about our WR corp? Basically, he said that we have the pieces in place to breakdown any coverage. I'm so excited. I'm looking for a breakout year.

bluelightstar
08-03-2014, 12:27 PM

I just said in the post that he got away with it, so I don't mind. I was just pointing out that he did not burn that LSU CB who was step for step until he received that light push.

chef dixon
08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I've got to give credit where I see it, Treadwell is a monster. Unlike Nkemdiche, who was a solid freshman but far from what kind of hype he's getting nationally. He was rated somewhere around the 30th best player in the country on that ESPN countdown, seriously?

GreenheadDawg
08-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I've got to give credit where I see it, Treadwell is a monster. Unlike Nkemdiche, who was a solid freshman but far from what kind of hype he's getting nationally. He was rated somewhere around the 30th best player in the country on that ESPN countdown, seriously?

Sorry but i've got to see him catch more than a bubble screen before I peg him as the next jerry rice. I agree, he has incredible god-given ability but I literally saw him catch nothing but bubble screens

Coach34
08-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I look forward to watching both players this year. It's rare that two of the best WR's in the SEC play in Mississippi