PDA

View Full Version : SEBaseball has us hosting now

Quaoarsking
05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
The guy was doubting our chances on Twitter last night, but apparently has changed his mind:
http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507186

If that were to come true, we would have the 4-seed with the best RPI (Bryant) and the 2-seed with the second best RPI (South Alabama).

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Almost would be better to be the first 2 seed in. That way, you are matched up with the worst number 1 for the super instead of playing a north carolina or vandy.

Id rather go win a south alabama regional and then have a clemson than winning a starkville regional and have to face nc

engie
05-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Almost would be better to be the first 2 seed in. That way, you are matched up with the worst number 1 for the super instead of playing a north carolina or vandy.

Id rather go win a south alabama regional and then have a clemson than winning a starkville regional and have to face nc

Doesn't work like that in reality. Beyond the national seeds, the order is totally random and generally more based on geography than actual ranking. Anotherwords, they don't rank the teams 1-64 and then do a snake model on 16 sites -- they rank 1-8, figure the other host sites, and then just piece the rest of the field together however they see fit. They love to set up "rivalries" or "interesting matchups" in the Supers when they can -- which means UNC probably either gets placed across from Clemson or South Carolina in reality.

Last year -- we were one of the top 3-4 2-seeds and still got sent to a national seed for a regional.

Also, no way we get South Alabama then Clemson. Even if we did get sent to South Alabama -- we'll still be matched up with a national seed in a Super -- and being a road team in the regionals likely matches us up with LSU or Vandy in the Super Regionals. No "easy" path to Omaha -- at least not before the games are played.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
anybody else think we have a good chance of getting South Alabama because of geography? I think thats very possible based on previous years

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 01:02 PM
anybody else think we have a good chance of getting South Alabama because of geography? I think thats very possible based on previous years

Would be awesome

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Doesn't work like that in reality. Beyond the national seeds, the order is totally random and generally more based on geography than actual ranking. Anotherwords, they don't rank the teams 1-64 and then do a snake model on 16 sites -- they rank 1-8, figure the other host sites, and then just piece the rest of the field together however they see fit. They love to set up "rivalries" or "interesting matchups" in the Supers when they can -- which means UNC probably either gets placed across from Clemson or South Carolina in reality.

Last year -- we were one of the top 3-4 2-seeds and still got sent to a national seed for a regional.

Also, no way we get South Alabama then Clemson. Even if we did get sent to South Alabama -- we'll still be matched up with a national seed in a Super -- and being a road team in the regionals likely matches us up with LSU or Vandy in the Super Regionals. No "easy" path to Omaha -- at least not before the games are played.

I like that word.

Yes, this is correct. That's why I was saying I don't expect us to go to South Alabama- I think that could be the mid major regional.

They may do something like have us host and be across from say Oregon State and then send Ole Miss out to Oregon as the two seed and so we would either go out to Oregon or barring an upset host Ole Miss in Starkville for a Super.

gravedigger
05-19-2013, 01:06 PM
I do. I'm fine with it too. Fact is, you have an easy or a difficult road to the big tournament. Unless you are literally the best team in the country, an easy road to the tournament will most likely get you put out of it.

Now, I hope if we win our regional we get matched up with a team that does not have a Vanderbilt/South Carolina pitching staff in the super. But earning it is important. Just like I think our schedule this year prepares us for the post season.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 01:11 PM

No- because of South Alabama's person on the committee.

I think we get an ACC team as a two- like Georgia Tech or Miami, and then either a Sun Belt or Southland at large team like Troy, Florida Atlantic, or Sam Houston State, and then probably Jackson State if they win the SWAC.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
I do. I'm fine with it too. Fact is, you have an easy or a difficult road to the big tournament. Unless you are literally the best team in the country, an easy road to the tournament will most likely get you put out of it.

Now, I hope if we win our regional we get matched up with a team that does not have a Vanderbilt/South Carolina pitching staff in the super. But earning it is important. Just like I think our schedule this year prepares us for the post season.

South Carolina has a good bullpen, but they are a lot like us- kind of pieced together. LSU has a much better pitching staff than them. Stanford has a Vandy type pitching staff.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 01:20 PM
No- because of South Alabama's person on the committee.

Well, USA is not going to host, so theyhave to be sent somewhere. Their guy dont want them sent to LSU or Tallahassee I wouldnt think- that's why I think we are a more likely destination.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Well, USA is not going to host, so theyhave to be sent somewhere. Their guy dont want them sent to LSU or Tallahassee I wouldnt think- that's why I think we are a more likely destination.

Not so fast my friend.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Ain't no way USA hosts...ill be shocked should that happen

Jacksondevildog
05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Arizona state just for beat by Arizona and Aaron fitt and Kendall Rodgers are saying that ASU will not host now. I would assume that this would help our case.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Anyone who doubts MSU will host is just plain not in touch with the reality of the factors at play. MSU is a lock to host now.

And also ASU lost today, so where any slight doubt remained, none does.

I think there is a very good shot we will get USA and if not them, it will be Clemson. That's more of a guess on my part, but it's an educated guess and I think it will prove true.

Then we'll be matched against UNC or Fullerton in the Supers. If the committee gives us more credit than I thing they will (or if we start reeling off wins in the SEC tourney), then I could see FSU. The love to send us to Trailorhassee.

Personally I'm hoping for a loss to Mizzou. I don't think that takes us out of hosting by any means. And I want the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting for us to win, but I'll be very happy if we lose and then host.

But the reality is we are much, much better than Mizzou and will beat them. At that point, I just hope we don't have our top guys throwing on Sunday...really not even Saturday either..but not much hope of that. We are rolling right now and stand a great shot to win multiple games and go deep into the SEC tourney.

Even Cohen admitted on the post-game that we need rest. Last year is all that stats you need. I don't need stats on correlations. I just need my common sense. We were totally out of gas last year in regional play.

msstate7
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Arizona state just for beat by Arizona and Aaron fitt and Kendall Rodgers are saying that ASU will not host now. I would assume that this would help our case.
We'll probably Arizona st in our regional now

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-19-2013, 06:41 PM
guys, we are a lock. Period. Stop freaking out. We lose to MIZZOU and it doesnt matter. We are a lock.

Ronny
05-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Anyone who doubts MSU will host is just plain not in touch with the reality of the factors at play. MSU is a lock to host now.

And also ASU lost today, so where any slight doubt remained, none does.

I think there is a very good shot we will get USA and if not them, it will be Clemson. That's more of a guess on my part, but it's an educated guess and I think it will prove true.

Then we'll be matched against UNC or Fullerton in the Supers. If the committee gives us more credit than I thing they will (or if we start reeling off wins in the SEC tourney), then I could see FSU. The love to send us to Trailorhassee.

Personally I'm hoping for a loss to Mizzou. I don't think that takes us out of hosting by any means. And I want the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting for us to win, but I'll be very happy if we lose and then host.

But the reality is we are much, much better than Mizzou and will beat them. At that point, I just hope we don't have our top guys throwing on Sunday...really not even Saturday either..but not much hope of that. We are rolling right now and stand a great shot to win multiple games and go deep into the SEC tourney.

Even Cohen admitted on the post-game that we need rest. Last year is all that stats you need. I don't need stats on correlations. I just need my common sense. We were totally out of gas last year in regional play.

..until you said you hope we lose to Missouri.

It would be a giant blackeye to all MSU baseball stands for if we are knocked out of the SECT by a 17-31 team the very first game.

If you are so worried about their rest, Cohen can create them a tournament nap schedule. Who ever claimed the game of baseball was created to accommodate the 8 hour sleep cycle? 20 year old guys don't give a damn about rest; I know because I used to be 20 years old.

But to say you hope we lose to Missouri...sounds like something that BogeyGolfer idiot on sixpack would say.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Let me just say this- I hate the SEC Tournament.

And yes, I went there last year when we won the Championship and it is a good tournament, etc.

But there is literally nothing beneficial about it other than the SEC makes money off of it. If they did away with it, I wouldn't be sad at all.

I'd like to see someone do what LSU did to Ole Miss on Saturday. Just start back ups and maybe let a pitcher play second base. Just make a total sham out of it.

With 14 teams, the SEC could probably use an 11th week to try to balance the schedule out a little bit anyway.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
[

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't appreciate the jab when you agreeing with me.

I've followed your comments for years, so no need for the baloney.

Like I said, I'll be rooting for MSU, but we are in either way, so I'll be relieved in a sense if we lose. A win will mean guaranteed 2 more games, and we all know we are likely to win at least 1 more, so we'll be playing too much baseball with a regional right around the corner.

nap time? that's garbage. Guys running around on spikes all day every day all week, and maybe more than one game a day, that wears on a baseball team.

Will James
05-19-2013, 10:54 PM
We were totally out of gas last year in regional play.

It's not like we didn't win a game down there in Tally. MLB players play 6 days a week every week for six months with one 4 day rest period, even the fat ones like Prince and Pablo Sandoval. There is nobody that can tell me after 4 days of not doing shit these guys were gassed going into the regional. In reality they were probably more rested than they had been all year. We played just like we had all year long during the regional.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:00 PM
What a short-sighted comment.

First off, it will help that the regional will be at home. Having to travel to Hoover and play 6 games in 6 days and then travel to Trailorhassee 5 days later was rough.

Will James, if you are so smart, explain how we beat Arkansas, LSU twice, UK, and Vandy...but then lost twice to Samford. We had won 11 out of 15 SEC games to end the season. But yet we "just played like we had been playing all year" and lost to Samford. Yeah right. The club was emotionally spent. Obviously.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:02 PM
and these are kids, not major league baseball players.

Will James
05-19-2013, 11:03 PM
What a short-sighted comment.

First off, it will help that the regional will be at home. Having to travel to Hoover and play 6 games in 6 days and then travel to Trailorhassee 5 days later was rough.

Will James, if you are so smart, explain how we beat Arkansas, LSU twice, UK, and Vandy...but then lost twice to Samford. We had won 11 out of 15 SEC games to end the season. But yet we "just played like we had been playing all year" and lost to Samford. Yeah right. The club was emotionally spent. Obviously.

Well our last game was lost because Cohen treated it like a 3 year old treats a toy. He broke it and tried to fix it only to cause further damage.

Will James
05-19-2013, 11:05 PM

This ain't football. And kids younger than them do it all summer long in the Minors.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
yeah ok...just the way he won the SEC tourney and finished the SEC slate winning 11 of 15. makes sense. he musta forgot how to coach right there in the regional.

I'm the first to say when Cohen makes a bad in-game call. I love him as a coach, but think he still needs improvement in some areas with in-game.

But the bottom line is that we weren't ready to play baseball in that regional. I attribute it not to John Cohen, but the fact that we played 6 games in 6 days and were dogpiling in Hoover only a few days earlier. but hey, I've been wrong before. maybe you guys are right. Maybe we were rip ready to roar in the regionals in hitting on all cylinders but just shat the bed in any event. whatever you guys say. I still think it's more likely that we were in a hangover from all that baseball and the emotion of it over in Hoover. But what do I know.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:12 PM
This ain't football. And kids younger than them do it all summer long in the Minors.

No one is arguing they can't physically play the baseball games. The argument is over what is going to give us our best chance to win.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2013, 11:19 PM

Because that's baseball. When the Astros play the Rangers they still have a 30% or so chance of winning. Samford played well and beat us twice. The NCAA Tournament is horribly designed to determine a national champion. That's why a 10-14 Pac-10 team and a 4 seed with an RPI of 90 (on Selection Day) won it in back to back years.

Will James
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Because that's baseball. When the Astros play the Rangers they still have a 30% or so chance of winning. Samford played well and beat us twice. The NCAA Tournament is horribly designed to determine a national champion. That's why a 10-14 Pac-10 team and a 4 seed with an RPI of 90 (on Selection Day) won it in back to back years.

Yesssssssss. Just as an experiment I'd like to see baseball go soccer style on everyone. Every team plays a 3 game series home and away against every other team. 174 games, no playoffs, top of the standings is King.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Is that Ron Polk?

We can agree to disagree. That's fine. I've seen some statistical data that says there is no correlation, which makes your point and not mine. I don't know if it's accurate or not. But I refuse to believe that, at least in our circumstance. I think our arms were gassed and our players were emotionally spent after battling out of the losers bracket. I think they were not ready to play. And I think we were the hottest team in college baseball coming out of that SEC tourney, but I think it wore on us and we lost. I don't want that to happen again.

Sandman14
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM
But hey guys, don't you think that the probabilities prevail in that most of these teams were pretty dang good and it wasn't just that they "got hot":

1970 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 2-1 Florida State Gene Ammann, Florida State
1971 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 7-2 Southern Illinois Jerry Tabb, Tulsa
1972 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 1-0 Arizona State Russ McQueen, Southern California
1973 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 4-3 Arizona State Dave Winfield, Minnesota
1974 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 7-3 Miami (FL) George Milke, Southern California
1975 Texas Cliff Gustafson 5-1 South Carolina Mickey Reichenbach, Texas
1976 Arizona Jerry Kindall 7-1 Eastern Michigan Steve Powers, Arizona
1977 Arizona State Jim Brock 2-1 South Carolina Bob Horner, Arizona State
1978 Southern California Rod Dedeaux 10-3 Arizona State Rod Boxberger, Southern California
1979 Cal State Fullerton Augie Garrido 2-1 Arkansas Tony Hudson, Cal State Fullerton
1980 Arizona Jerry Kindall 5-3 Hawaii Terry Francona, Arizona
1981 Arizona State Jim Brock 7-4 Oklahoma State Stan Holmes, Arizona State
1982 Miami (FL) Ron Fraser 9-3 Wichita State Dan Smith, Miami (FL)
1983 Texas Cliff Gustafson 4-3 Alabama Calvin Schiraldi, Texas
1984 Cal State Fullerton Augie Garrido 3-1 Texas John Fishel, Cal State Fullerton
1985 Miami (FL) Ron Fraser 10-6 Texas Greg Ellena, Miami (FL)
1986 Arizona Jerry Kindall 10-2 Florida State Mike Senne, Arizona
1987 Stanford Mark Marquess 9-5 Oklahoma State Paul Carey, Stanford
1988 Stanford Mark Marquess 9-4 Arizona State Lee Plemel, Stanford
1989 Wichita State Gene Stephenson 5-3 Texas Greg Brummett, Wichita State
1990 Georgia Steve Webber 2-1 Oklahoma State Mike Rebhan, Georgia
1991 LSU Skip Bertman 6-3 Wichita State Gary Hymel, LSU
1992 Pepperdine Andy Lopez 3-2 Cal State Fullerton Phil Nevin, Cal State Fullerton
1993 LSU Skip Bertman 8-0 Wichita State Todd Walker, LSU
1994 Oklahoma Larry Cochell 13-5 Georgia Tech Chip Glass, Oklahoma
1995 Cal State Fullerton Augie Garrido 11-5 Southern California Mark Kotsay, Cal State Fullerton
1996 LSU Skip Bertman 9-8 Miami (FL) Pat Burrell, Miami (FL)
1997 LSU Skip Bertman 13-6 Alabama Brandon Larson, LSU
1998 Southern California Mike Gillespie 21-14 Arizona State Wes Rachels, Southern California
1999 Miami (FL) Jim Morris 6-5 Florida State Marshall McDougall, Florida State
2000 LSU Skip Bertman 6-5 Stanford Trey Hodges, LSU
2001 Miami (FL) Jim Morris 12-1 Stanford Charlton Jimerson, Miami (FL)
2002 Texas Augie Garrido 12-6 South Carolina Huston Street, Texas
2003 Rice Wayne Graham 4-3 (10), 3-8, 14-2 Stanford John Hudgins, Stanford
2004 Cal State Fullerton George Horton 6-4, 3-2 Texas Jason Windsor, Cal State Fullerton
2005 Texas Augie Garrido 4-2, 6-2 Florida David Maroul, Texas
2006 Oregon State Pat Casey 3-4, 11-7, 3-2 North Carolina Jonah Nickerson, Oregon State
2007 Oregon State Pat Casey 11-4, 9-3 North Carolina Jorge Luis Reyes, Oregon State
2008 Fresno State Mike Batesole 6-7, 19-10, 6-1 Georgia Tommy Mendonca, Fresno State
2009 LSU Paul Mainieri 7-6, 1-5, 11-4 Texas Jared Mitchell, LSU
2010 South Carolina Ray Tanner 7-1, 2-1 (11) UCLA Jackie Bradley, Jr., South Carolina
2011 South Carolina Ray Tanner 2-1 (11), 5-2 Florida Scott Wingo, South Carolina
2012 Arizona Andy Lopez 5-1, 4-1 South Carolina Robert Refsnyder, Arizona

Todd4State
05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
To me, we lost that regional because Chris Stratton was off a little bit as was Holder and then Sam Frost made a key error at the worst time possible if I remember correctly.

Our pitching staff was hot going into that regional- our hitting really wasn't. We scored three runs on Vandy in the championship game off of mistakes without really driving any of them in.

Our lack of offense last year killed us in that regional.

msstate7
05-20-2013, 06:36 AM
When they treated Stratton like a bp pitcher they (samford) got in our head big time. We were scared to pitch to them

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
It's not like we didn't win a game down there in Tally. MLB players play 6 days a week every week for six months with one 4 day rest period, even the fat ones like Prince and Pablo Sandoval. There is nobody that can tell me after 4 days of not doing shit these guys were gassed going into the regional. In reality they were probably more rested than they had been all year. We played just like we had all year long during the regional.

I agree. The fatigue thing is being way over blown. It's a crutch- not reality

dickiedawg
05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
If we're on the field, I expect us to bust our tails trying to win. Maybe I'm old-fashioned that way.

I understand the sentiment that the extra rest could be beneficial.

maroonmania
05-20-2013, 09:03 AM

I will take USA as our 2 seed. We could certainly get worse in my book. USA has the same record as us overall with a much weaker overall schedule. They just lost 2 of 3 to Troy AT HOME and their best wins this year were probably the 2 times they beat USM and USM is a marginal team this year. I will tell you what, let us host with USA as our 2 seed and don't pair us in a Super with North Carolina or Vandy and I'm pretty happy with our draw.

Spider-Man
05-20-2013, 09:42 AM
I would love to have 3 non-BCS teams come to Starkville as SEBaseball projects. Plus, if we somehow get paired up with Oregon or Florida State, two national seeds who are likely to have BCS 2 seeds. We could have a chance to host the Super too. If we're paired with Fullerton, Oregon St., Virginia, or North Carolina, we are definitely traveling for the Super.

maroonmania
05-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Exactly, MLB pitchers also pitch for 6 months straight repeatedly on 4 days rest but college guys apparently still need 6-7 days rest and they are only pitching for about a 4 month season so it is a different animal altogether especially given college players are responsible for classwork as well.

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:04 AM
In a perfect world our regional would look like this

1. Mississippi State
2. South Alabama
3. Southern Miss (if they were to win C-USA)
4. Jackson State