PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Matich on ESPN Radio this morning said and I quote:

MetEdDawg
08-02-2014, 09:22 AM
"My biggest surprise team that is not in the Top 25 Coaches Poll is Mississippi State. Texas is ranked #25 and if the two teams played each other Mississippi State would beat the dog out of Texas".

Please hurry up college football. I can't wait much longer, especially when some of the ESPN talking heads are saying this kind of stuff.

CadaverDawg
08-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Awesome. I do to care about he rankings, as long as the talking heads are right about us being underrated. Keep our guys hungry

hailmari
08-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm glad to know that some of these guys actually do their homework. Most would just see our record from last year and leave it at that.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Here is what Tony Barnhart just tweeted:

Tony Barnhart @MrCFB ? 25m
A few show notes this morning: SEC had 7 teams in preseason coaches poll. I thought Mississippi State should have also been included.

We are getting more publicity for not being ranked than if we had snuck in the back end of the poll.

My question is: Who votes on this stuff? If all these media people believe we should be ranked, then why aren't we?

I thought it would take us three games to get ranked, but, after seeing what people are saying, I wouldn't be surprised if we are ranked after a week one whipping of USM.

PassInterference
08-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Here is what Tony Barnhart just tweeted:

Tony Barnhart @MrCFB ? 25m
A few show notes this morning: SEC had 7 teams in preseason coaches poll. I thought Mississippi State should have also been included.

We are getting more publicity for not being ranked than if we had snuck in the back end of the poll.

My question is: Who votes on this stuff? If all these media people believe we should be ranked, then why aren't we?

I thought it would take us three games to get ranked, but, after seeing what people are saying, I wouldn't be surprised if we are ranked after a week one whipping of USM.

The answer is out there. Somewhere.

cheewgumm
08-02-2014, 09:44 AM
I could not be more happy that were not ranked. I want Our guys to be hungry and motivated.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2014, 09:48 AM
I could not be more happy that were not ranked. I want Our guys to be hungry and motivated.

I think that's what we say to make us feel better. The fact is that this happens every year, and, after a while, it becomes more frustrating and deteriorates pride more than anything else. I actually think it can be more motivating to get credit sometimes, because it makes you realize that others are watching you.

cheewgumm
08-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Shotgun, I'm not going to fully disagree with you. However it seems like the times wer are ranked, we lay an egg. If our coaches are
Smart they can use the "nobody believes in us" for weeks to
Come.

Personally for this year, for this team, for right now I'd rather not be ranked then ranked 23rd.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Shotgun, I'm not going to fully disagree with you. However it seems like the times wer are ranked, we lay an egg. If our coaches are
Smart they can use the "nobody believes in us" for weeks to
Come.

Personally for this year, for this team, for right now I'd rather not be ranked then ranked 23rd.

I understand what you are saying, but IMO, our coaches have been using the "Nobody believes in you" slogan for the better part of 100 years. At some point the message gets stale. Kids want to play at a school where they get credit and people believe in them. Teams get tired of being treated and thought of as the Kansas City Royals.

Us throwing up eggs when are ranked has much more to do with Alabama, LSU, and Auburn being better teams, and less to do with us actually throwing up an egg. We should've have been ranked, and it was lazy and wrong by the media for us not to be.

smootness
08-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I understand what you are saying, but IMO, our coaches have been using the "Nobody believes in you" slogan for the better part of 100 years. At some point the message gets stale. Kids want to play at a school where they get credit and people believe in them. Teams get tired of being treated and thought of as the Kansas City Royals.

Us throwing up eggs when are ranked has much more to do with Alabama, LSU, and Auburn being better teams, and less to do with us actually throwing up an egg. We should've have been ranked, and it was lazy and wrong by the media for us not to be.

Every coach in sports now uses the disrespect card. You hear players of a team who was #1 all year and wins the championship say, 'Nobody thought we could do this except the guys in that locker room. We shocked the world!'

This will help us, even if only slightly.

spiritual_machine2005
08-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Another plus to being ranked, even if a small one, is most publications only do previews and analysis for top 25 team's games. Thats some good publicity we will be left out of until week 2 or 3 when we finally crack into the polls.

Boya
08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Another plus to being ranked, even if a small one, is most publications only do previews and analysis for top 25 team's games. Thats some good publicity we will be left out of until week 2 or 3 when we finally crack into the polls.

This is a good point...it's always better to be ranked

Noxdog
08-02-2014, 11:39 AM
This is a good point...it's always better to be ranked

With 2 user names, Shotgun??? Just curious why you need 2.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Boya and THE shotgun are not related

SDDawg
08-02-2014, 11:56 AM
No good argument for our guys to be in the top 25 to start the year. It adds nothing to their season and could potentially make them complacent. A championship team doesn't need a pool to tell them what they are.

Go DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2014, 12:07 PM
If we are truly as good as we think we are. If team chemistry is as we think. If attitudes and work ethic are what we've come to believe...then they should be able to have been ranked preseason #1 and still go out there and give 100%. I'm tired of the being ranked used as an excuse for us defouling the bed. Dammit, if we're really a top 10 team talent wise then go out there and rip the heart out of the other team. You don't see Alabama, FSU, or Oregon pissing their pants because of a high preseason ranking. If this is the season we truly turn the corner then it's time for everybody, fans-coaches and players, to take off their tampons and pink lacy thongs, put on some pants, and go act like it. No excuses this season. Nut up or shut up.

Dawg61
08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
If we are truly as good as we think we are. If team chemistry is as we think. If attitudes and work ethic are what we've come to believe...then they should be able to have been ranked preseason #1 and still go out there and give 100%. I'm tired of the being ranked used as an excuse for us defouling the bed. Dammit, if we're really a top 10 team talent wise then go out there and rip the heart out of the other team. You don't see Alabama, FSU, or Oregon pissing their pants because of a high preseason ranking. If this is the season we truly turn the corner then it's time for everybody, fans-coaches and players, to take off their tampons and pink lacy thongs, put on some pants, and go act like it. No excuses this season. Nut up or shut up.

+National Debt, man that was beautiful brother!

Boya
08-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Boya and THE shotgun are not related

There...new avatar

FISHDAWG
08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Browning vs Benelli

Dawg61
08-02-2014, 12:27 PM
There...new avatar

Good now if we can just get shotgun to change his

War Machine Dawg
08-02-2014, 12:32 PM
That's a big statement, consider Matich is a clueless asshole who normally bashes us every chance he gets.

preachermatt83
08-02-2014, 12:40 PM
That's a big statement, consider Matich is a clueless asshole who normally bashes us every chance he gets.

Man, we have been agreeing so much lately and you just wanna go say something dumb like this.. lol.. Man Matich is a little odd and his view on teams is not always accurate but one thing he is AWESOME at is breaking apart offenses and defenses as well good as anyone I have ever seen. If I were a HC I would LOVE to have him as an OC. He is brilliant with that kind of stuff.

smootness
08-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Man, we have been agreeing so much lately and you just wanna go say something dumb like this.. lol.. Man Matich is a little odd and his view on teams is not always accurate but one thing he is AWESOME at is breaking apart offenses and defenses as well good as anyone I have ever seen. If I were a HC I would LOVE to have him as an OC. He is brilliant with that kind of stuff.

He was an OL who has done nothing else but be an analyst since...not exactly the typical recipe for a good OC.