PDA

View Full Version : "Ole Miss" fading away?

preachermatt83
08-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Word on the twittersphere is that Dan Jones is making a push to slowly faze out the Ole Miss name.

starkvegasdawg
08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
But old times there are not forgotten.

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Word on the twittersphere is that Dan Jones is making a push to slowly faze out the Ole Miss name.

I know they've owned the rights to UMiss.edu and/or UMiss.com for years now.

Saltydog
08-01-2014, 12:31 PM
They will eventually break away from any vestiges of the old south so the next two things will be no more "ole miss" and no more "rebels". IT"S coming.

messageboardsuperhero
08-01-2014, 12:31 PM
They're changing the name of Confederate Drive to Chapel Lane. It's about damn time on that one- there is no reason in the world why UM should have a road on campus called "Confederate Drive." It's equal parts hilarious and disturbing.

fishwater99
08-01-2014, 12:34 PM
They will eventually break away from any vestiges of the old south so the next two things will be no more "ole miss" and no more "rebels". IT"S coming.

I agree, they already have the Bear.. The Mississippi Bears...

messageboardsuperhero
08-01-2014, 12:34 PM

I legitimately think that is coming at some point in the future. I don't know when, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Some people joke about calling them the "Mississippi Bears"- but it really wouldn't be too much of a shock to me if that is eventually who they are... It may not be in the near future, but eventually.

jbjones
08-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I know they've owned the rights to UMiss.edu and/or UMiss.com for years now.

Oh man how awesome it'd be if it somehow didn't get renewed...Highly unlikely, anyway.

Domain Name: UMISS.COM
Creation Date: 14-nov-2003
Expiration Date: 14-nov-2014

thf24
08-01-2014, 12:37 PM
The faithful will absolutely lose it over that one. Doubt it happens for at least a decade or so, maybe more.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 12:37 PM
No doubt they will eventually phase it out but the problem is it will take 50 years to do so. Gonna be almost impossible to get the cursive Ole Miss logo off the helmets and uniforms and basketball court and behind home plate and well everywhere in Oxford. Shit it might take 100 years.

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 12:38 PM
If this happens they'll called themselves "UMiss" not "Mississippi." I can see there being a fight over this change though.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Oh man how awesome it'd be if it somehow didn't get renewed...Highly unlikely, anyway.

Domain Name: UMISS.COM
Creation Date: 14-nov-2003
Expiration Date: 14-nov-2014

Remind me to check on buying a domain name on Nov 14th please

Saltydog
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
another campaign.

fishwater99
08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
No doubt they will eventually phase it out but the problem is it will take 50 years to do so. Gonna be almost impossible to get the cursive Ole Miss logo off the helmets and uniforms and basketball court and behind home plate and well everywhere in Oxford. Shit it might take 100 years.

It will be interesting to see what logo is on the new basketball floor.

gravedigger
08-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Never happen. The name University of Mississippi, or just Mississippi has a state funded school flavor. Ole Miss, has a private school sound to it.

They are all about the perception of being a private school. Of course the old southern pride traditions have a good deal of pull too, but I really believe they will never allow that brand to go away.

Bully13
08-01-2014, 01:19 PM
and just think. how long ago were they always raising hell about JWS referring to them as "Mississippi". HA! little did they know he was just trying to help them out.

codeDawg
08-01-2014, 01:22 PM
http://hottytoddy.com/2014/08/01/chancellor-jones-announces-plan-for-leadership-on-race-issues-and-diversity/

RossDawg82
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I love to see bad shit happen to Ole Miss, but sometimes I think its a little ridiculous the lengths these people will go to prove a point. What is wrong with Confederate Drive? If they take it away, should they not have to remove MLK Blvd as well. I just think its a bit liberal, and I really don't think that the names of roads are bringing back memories of slavery.

EAVdog
08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
There have been efforts underway for years. Won't take too much longer. 10 years from now Ole Miss won't officially be on anything.

MadDawg
08-01-2014, 01:53 PM
One thing is for certain, this will be fun to watch. Pop some popcorn guys, and grab a seat. Shit's gonna git good.

Political Hack
08-01-2014, 01:57 PM
I love to see bad shit happen to Ole Miss, but sometimes I think its a little ridiculous the lengths these people will go to prove a point. What is wrong with Confederate Drive? If they take it away, should they not have to remove MLK Blvd as well. I just think its a bit liberal, and I really don't think that the names of roads are bringing back memories of slavery.

MLK fought for equality. Confederates fought against it. That's the difference. To wave the confederate battle flag is an assault on individual freedom in my opinion. It's a sign if suppression of an entire race of people. it's literally the most ignorant display of outright racism I can even fathom in this day and age and it's an embarrassment that it's still on our state flag. OM's reluctance to let go of a heritage of hate is completely absurd to me, but to each his own. They have the constitutional right to wave that flag, honor "rebels," play Dixie, and yell the south will rise again.

Bully13
08-01-2014, 02:02 PM
what's also funny about all this shit is that they are referring to this as "not geared towards re-branding athletics, but our academic side". that is the biggest crock of shit about the whole thing. everyone and their mothers know why they are doing this. it's about football. they're trying to avoid "shock treatment" to the football fans for now. then they'll slowly start slipping it in to athletics. they are willing to lose a few "gone with the wind" fan students from out of state to hep out in football recruiting for now.

I just hope I live long enough to see what was once Confederate Rd changed to Black Panther Lane after 10 straight years of the egg bowl trophy being in Starkville.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
They should just pull a full 180 overnight. Make it a huge deal and do it all in one day. Change everything. Name, mascot, everything and do ALL of it at the same time. After 2 years nobody will give a shit that it's gone anymore. But they won't. They will *****foot around it and it'll take 100 years to get completely done.

LiterallyPolice
08-01-2014, 02:22 PM
MLK fought for equality. Confederates fought against it. That's the difference. To wave the confederate battle flag is an assault on individual freedom in my opinion. It's a sign if suppression of an entire race of people. it's literally the most ignorant display of outright racism I can even fathom in this day and age and it's an embarrassment that it's still on our state flag. OM's reluctance to let go of a heritage of hate is completely absurd to me, but to each his own. They have the constitutional right to wave that flag, honor "rebels," play Dixie, and yell the south will rise again.

+1. To all of it. Honestly, good for them for recognizing that they need to gradually change their brand. It's an embarrassment to the state.

BossDawg
08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
They should just pull a full 180 overnight. Make it a huge deal and do it all in one day.

That's it. But now they're just gonna drag this out over years upon years and....I'm gonna have fun watching it. I'm really puzzled as to how the actual meaning of "Ole Miss" hasn't caught on quite like one would think.

Bubb Rubb
08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Remind me to check on buying a domain name on Nov 14th please

The domain to look for is umiss.edu.

Bubb Rubb
08-01-2014, 02:42 PM

I am not advocating anything those bastards do, but I think this statement is a bit too extreme. Many minorities fought willingly under that flag as well, and to make a blanket assumptions that all who own or fly that flag is racist is a dangerous slope. You won't see me flying one, but I also won't question everyone's motive for doing so. It means different things to different people.

Ole Miss did the right thing by distancing themselves from it because it is offensive to some. For the same reasons, the state of Mississippi should consider changing their flag. But I don't think it's fair to say that everyone who owns one is outwardly racist.

ScoobaDawg
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
They can't change or hide history.....
The term "Ole Miss" is racist and even their facility see it per that article on the hotty toddy rag.....

https://web.archive.org/web/20121102143105/http://www.olemiss.edu/conf/welcometable/whyOM.html

PassInterference
08-01-2014, 02:50 PM
"Ole Miss" is on the way out. This has been in the works for years.

The "election" they had to name a Bear mascot was step 1. The election was for show. It was going to be a bear all along.

I'm sure they'll have another "election" sooner or later to choose a logo to replace the script Ole Miss.

Coach34
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
During this time period, the university became known as "Ole Miss," a moniker used by slaves to describe the wife of the plantation owner.

They had this removed from their school website after I pointed it out on Sixpack and other places...wonder why?

tcdog70
08-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Considering the whole regiment of Ole Miss students--The University Grays suffered 100% casualties charging along side with the Noxubee Rifles part of the Miss. 11th in Picketts Charge, having a drive called Confederate Drive is the very least they could do. Political Correctness is a Bitch and makes Me want to puke.

Mississippians charged further into the Union lines than the Virginians or the Tar Heels who also were with Pickett. A Noxubee County Soldier actualyl made it all the way across and was wounded and captured along with His Flag. If i was a UM Grad, this would Piss me off.

Bullmutt
08-01-2014, 03:17 PM
For the benefit of those of us not local and who may have missed the process, how the hell did they decide on Black Bears as a mascot? I doubt there's been a bear in MS for a century or more.

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
For the benefit of those of us not local and who may have missed the process, how the hell did they decide on Black Bears as a mascot? I doubt there's been a bear in MS for a century or more.
The first thing they did was falsify a survey to make it seem that the vast majority of Ole Miss students wanted it changed. Then they had a nomination and voting process. It's not an official mascot change. They are still the Rebels. It's the "on field" or "in the suit" mascot that was changed. They also considered a landshark and some goofy blueman looking guy except that I believe he was gray.

PassInterference
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
http://hottytoddy.com/2014/08/01/chancellor-jones-announces-plan-for-leadership-on-race-issues-and-diversity/

They are getting rid of "Ole Miss" (in academics..wink). Good for them.

But they aren't going far enough. Racist things in other places on campus are going to receive an plaque explaining their existence.

Besides this change, no names of campus icons associated with the civil war and Jim Crow-era Mississippi government officials such as segregationist Governors James Vardaman and Paul Johnson, Jr. will be changed. Instead plaques will be placed to put those names, says Chancellor Jones, in “historical context and perspective.” These sites include Vardaman Hall, Johnson Commons, and the confederate statue at the entrance to the Lyceum Circle.

Get this....

“If you look at the incidents that have been reported in the press, the vast majority have involved freshman,” Chancellor Jones said. “We have to more effectively deal with the reality that many of our students come to us with very little exposure to cross-cultural experience. Many have attended high schools and lived in communities that were virtually segregated in their opportunities to interact with people of different races and backgrounds. We hope to welcome them to here and quickly expose them to pathways that embrace our values in support of human dignity that is expressed in our creed.”

That's a nice way of saying "our incoming freshman, most of which who are children of our alumni, are born & raised racists that we have to convert".

I hope they succeed in a complete re-branding. First and foremost, "Ole Miss" and the old south imagery they embrace are a black mark the state of Mississippi. That crap needs to be dropped into the history books.

Secondly, if they'd just use their damn name instead of a nickname, the national media won't have to try remembering which Mississippi school carries a nickname and they won't confuse us so much.

AlmostPositive
08-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Martin Luther King was a repeat plagiarist, serious woman-abuser and complete religious fraud. (It's all in the Stanford archives, and elsewhere, if you're not familiar witht the particulars.) The identity politics crowd doesn't seem to mind too much when there's a street to be named.

tcdog70
08-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Some of you act like MSU has no racists in our past. I believe you will find we have plenty. I think we have tried to move into the Modern World and We have made huge strides. Just be careful how you throw mud on our forefathers Who fought in the Civil War.
I'm all for making fun of Ole Miss. I guess some of you would like to change the name of Lee hall and tear down the bust of Stephen D Lee our First President -He was the Youngest Lt General in the Confederacy. Walk around our Campus and check out some of our Buildings You might be surprised to see plenty of symbols of the Confederacy. We can remember our Past while embracing the Future.

Reason2succeed
08-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I am not advocating anything those bastards do, but I think this statement is a bit too extreme. Many minorities fought willingly under that flag as well, and to make a blanket assumptions that all who own or fly that flag is racist is a dangerous slope. You won't see me flying one, but I also won't question everyone's motive for doing so. It means different things to different people.

Ole Miss did the right thing by distancing themselves from it because it is offensive to some. For the same reasons, the state of Mississippi should consider changing their flag. But I don't think it's fair to say that everyone who owns one is outwardly racist.

What do you think when you see someone fly or wear a swatsitka? The same thing applies when I see a rebel flag EXCEPT I will give them the benefit of the doubt based upon ignorance.

Reason2succeed
08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Martin Luther King was a repeat plagiarist, serious woman-abuser and complete religious fraud. (It's all in the Stanford archives, and elsewhere, if you're not familiar witht the particulars.) The identity politics crowd doesn't seem to mind too much when there's a street to be named.

"Complete religious fraud"? Hold up bro now you're treading on thin ice. What part of standing up for EQUAL TREATMENT is inconsistent with any religious practice? Go back to Sunday school!

LiterallyPolice
08-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Some of you act like MSU has no racists in our past. I believe you will find we have plenty. I think we have tried to move into the Modern World and We have made huge strides. Just be careful how you throw mud on our forefathers Who fought in the Civil War.
I'm all for making fun of Ole Miss. I guess some of you would like to change the name of Lee hall and tear down the bust of Stephen D Lee our First President -He was the Youngest Lt General in the Confederacy. Walk around our Campus and check out some of our Buildings You might be surprised to see plenty of symbols of the Confederacy. We can remember our Past while embracing the Future.

Dumb post is dumb. Lee was OUR PRESIDENT. Besides, if MSU has some things that we need to fix, then fine, we can address them. But Ole Miss takes it or another level.

There's no pride in the Confederacy. Every southern state should be doing everything they can to erase that black mark from our past.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Considering the whole regiment of Ole Miss students--The University Grays suffered 100% casualties charging along side with the Noxubee Rifles part of the Miss. 11th in Picketts Charge, having a drive called Confederate Drive is the very least they could do. Political Correctness is a Bitch and makes Me want to puke.

Mississippians charged further into the Union lines than the Virginians or the Tar Heels who also were with Pickett. A Noxubee County Soldier actualyl made it all the way across and was wounded and captured along with His Flag. If i was a UM Grad, this would Piss me off.

It isn't World War II and fighting against the evil Nazis. It was a war amongst Americans killing other Americans. Bloodiest and deadliest war in the history of the United States that had more casualties than all the other wars America has been in COMBINED. It doesn't need to be celebrated or honored or whatever. Killing other Americans isn't cool. And that goes for both sides. North and South need to leave that shit in the past.

PassInterference
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Lock this thread...

LiterallyPolice
08-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah... This thread needs to be locked.

TrapGame
08-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I was talking to a reb a year or two ago and he said something similar to this has already been brought in alumni meetings. There's a growing number of young alums that want the entire confederate, old south mystique to go away.

LiterallyPolice
08-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I was talking to a reb a year or two ago and he said something similar to this has already been brought in alumni meetings. There's a growing number of young alums that want the entire confederate, old south mystique to go away.

That's the thing... They aren't just doing this for PR. It's about $$$$. In 30 yrs, no one would donate if they keep the Old South thing going.

shoeless joe
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM
I wince when I think how some things are readily generalized while other generalizations are offensive and frowned upon. I had an ancestor killed in a prominent civil war battle as a confederate general. I do prefer to show respect to him and others killed in the war for the south. Yet I'm not racist and don't support slavery!! Oh my...how could that be?!?!?

That said I can see how a university would want to seperate itself from a moniker who's roots were laid in a time of suppression. Especially when that is how the university is known by virtually everybody, except Jackie. I also have no problem with them honoring certain aspects of their heritage. However, I will enjoy watching this unfold and all the panties that will get in a wad over this.

BeardoMSU
08-01-2014, 04:10 PM

Well said, Hack.

AlmostPositive
08-01-2014, 04:33 PM
"Complete religious fraud"? Hold up bro now you're treading on thin ice. What part of standing up for EQUAL TREATMENT is inconsistent with any religious practice? Go back to Sunday school!

Check out the events of the evening before his death. I based what I said on reliable account sympathetic to King. You're basing your reply on not much of anything.

(And just for the record, advocating for equal treatment of women is profoundly inconsistent with Islam.)

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 04:48 PM
For the record the civil war was started over states rights. Lincoln was trying to expand the governance of the federal laws and infringing upon the states rights that were originally set up by the constitution. I won't get into the details of the slavery issue but what 99% of Americans know on this subject and Lincoln is completely wrong. I have multiple books on the subject.

shoeless joe
08-01-2014, 05:09 PM
For the record the civil war was started over states rights. Lincoln was trying to expand the governance of the federal laws and infringing upon the states rights that were originally set up by the constitution. I won't get into the details of the slavery issue but what 99% of Americans know on this subject and Lincoln is completely wrong. I have multiple books on the subject.

Whoa now!!! Take it easy and let's not let facts get in the way of propaganda and generalizing the thought process of thousands!

BeardoMSU
08-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Does the right to own slaves count as states rights?

You amateur-revisionist-historians are really somethin'.

Political Hack
08-01-2014, 05:21 PM
you're reading the wrong books.