PDA

View Full Version : ESPN MIKE AND MIKE TALK ABOUT PRESEASON COACHES POLL

Prentis
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
So I'm up watching Mike & Mike this morning when co-host Jorge Sedano says that ole miss shouldn't be ranked at 19. Then he said, and I quote "I ACTUALLY LIKE MISSISSIPPI STATE BETTER THEN I LIKE ole miss AND THEIR NOT EVEN IN THE TOP TWENTY-FIVE."

TrapGame
08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
I think having TA&M in the top #25 is telling sign this poll is pretty messed up. The Aggies will win maybe 7 games this season. They lost their best QB, best OL and best WR.

Statefan
08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Heard that we got very similar comments on SVP yesterday as in them liking us more than Mississippi and that we deserved to be ranked. Oh well, it will happen by week 4

spudd21
08-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Most coaches poll ballots are not even filled out by the voting coach. One of the operations guys do it. Heck you ask any coach and they will tell you they have little time to watch other teams play.

EAVdog
08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
It wouldn't be the pre-season if Ole Miss wasn't hyped up.

codeDawg
08-01-2014, 09:27 AM
The off season is when UM shines. They can pretend be somebody without having to actually do anything.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I think having TA&M in the top #25 is telling sign this poll is pretty messed up. The Aggies will win maybe 7 games this season. They lost their best QB, best OL and best WR.

I'm not buying that aTm is going to suck just yet. They have two very talented very young WR in Seals-Jones and Speedy and they have about 5 highly rated QBs on the roster. aTm should be looked at similar to LSU imo. LSU has the better D though.

CadaverDawg
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm not buying that aTm is going to suck just yet. They have two very talented very young WR in Seals-Jones and Speedy and they have about 5 highly rated QBs on the roster. aTm should be looked at similar to LSU imo. LSU has the better D though.

I agree. Sumlin will put a great offense out there, so it's never a "gimme" when you have to score 40+ to win the game. If somehow they figure out a way to improve some on D, they could be very very tough to beat

FISHDAWG
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Buck Bellue on 680 The Fan's afternoon show in Atlanta agrees ... but he might be a little biased as he was team mates with John Bond in Valdosta, Ga. in high school ... or maybe he is is more familiar with the teams given that relationship ... IDK, but whatever the reason he always seems to be a step ahead of the national guys about us

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Let me get this straight. It's been said that preseason polls are based mainly off of how people think each tem will finish the season based on their respective schedules. Based on this OM ahead of us if they are projected at 7-8 wins and we are projected at 8-9 wins?

I got hammered yesterday by bears and fellow bulldog fans yesterday when I said the uneducated Ignorant Athlon type articles this off season have created a false perception of OM to those who only read article headlines. I've yet to see any worry type Articles regarding the paper thin OM OL. Which brought me to my next point with the group I was talking to. I said it's the off season and it's the only time of year these publications and media outlets can maximize their profits from the delusional fan bases who have more money than sense. These publications track what schools "pay sites" have the most members and "magazines" sell more copies and pander to these fan bases. Is it To Athlons advantage to point out all the deficiencies of OM's depth and experience and how that would most likely rear it's head during a grueling SEC season? How many magazines would that sell? Opposed to saying they have the 2nd best QB group in SEC yet only have one that's ever played in college.

This cycle of pandering and casual reading across the nation has created a false perception of OM by those that don't follow the SEC in depth, and the main reason they are ranked that high. A&M isn't a top 25 team and would have been a 5 to 7 win team the last two years without Johnny.

TrapGame
08-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Not suck but be a level under where JFF had them. They're not the great offensive threat anymore. I'm sure Sumlin will have a few tricks up his sleeve but without JFF they will be a lot more ordinary than before.

PMDawg
08-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I agree. Sumlin will put a great offense out there, so it's never a "gimme" when you have to score 40+ to win the game. If somehow they figure out a way to improve some on D, they could be very very tough to beat

Exactly. Agree with both of you guys. A&M is tough to peg this year, I can see both sides of the argument. What I can't understand is how anyone can be firmly entrenched in the "they're great" or the "they suck" camp.

DudyDawg
08-01-2014, 10:08 AM
It seems like a lot of the Espn talking heads like us a lot, and the pollsters don't. I would rather have it that way than the other way around

CadaverDawg
08-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Exactly. Agree with both of you guys. A&M is tough to peg this year, I can see both sides of the argument. What I can't understand is how anyone can be firmly entrenched in the "they're great" or the "they suck" camp.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly

DudyDawg
08-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I think the consensus is "they're average, and down" but in the West, unfortunately that means you suck haha. So I think it's less to do with the team and more with the teams they'll battle week in and out

Coach34
08-01-2014, 10:19 AM
A&M has been recruiting well. Their last 2 classes have been in the top 10. I expect us to win at home- but A&M won't be bad.

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Not suck but be a level under where JFF had them. They're not the great offensive threat anymore. I'm sure Sumlin will have a few tricks up his sleeve but without JFF they will be a lot more ordinary than before.

They won't be as dangerous yes but they weren't as dangerous last year as they were his rFR year either imo because he didn't run downfield near as much and with him gone that could work in their favor. No huge distraction anymore. Nobody gets caught watching Johnny to see how he's going to win the game for them. They all have to step up and play better as a team and that could end up making them better than when they had him last year. I think we beat aTm but I ain't exactly cocky about it.

Saltydog
08-01-2014, 12:01 PM
see it being better than the last two years and while they'll score some points, it won't be enough to win 7 games. Their defense gets raped in the conference.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:34 PM

LSU is a great comparison. A&M will finish 7-5 and LSU will finish 8-4. Now ask yourself is a 7-5 season a season that they suck? They are definitely a step down from where they were a year ago. LSU lost too much where it counted as well.

Ask teams like Florida and Auburn how important once in a generation quarterbacks are to their school. You don't lose a QB like a Cam Newton, Tim Tebow or Johnny Football and improve at that position. I don't buy the A&M will be awesome this year hype either 61. They will be average which is about 7-5. That is my prediction for them.

gravedigger
08-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Let me get this straight. It's been said that preseason polls are based mainly off of how people think each tem will finish the season based on their respective schedules.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise. Preseason polls are MAINLY based on the feel people got from the team in the last 2-3 games of the previous season. I'd say at least 75% would be attributed to that. The other 25% is made up of schedule strength and recruiting and predictions. I don't think Auburn will finish in the top 10. Things do change in the offseason and I have little to no faith that the research necessary to accurately predict the next season is even attempted by most.

The real factors that differentiate a 6-7 win team from a 9 plus win team in the SEC is leadership, chemistry, successful experience (not just experience), and a staff that knows how to utilize players properly.

Coaches just don't give media members the access to their programs that will give them the ability to asess most of those things.

Therefore, polls are fun things to look at, but mostly useless.

Ole Miss is a 'sexy' pick right now in spite of how they lost to us in the egg bowl due to the Ndkimdeeche factor alone.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I will also add that they lost Mike Evans and he was like Megatron to add to Johnny Football. They didn't add a guy of that caliber to their receiving corp. Speed yes but not that combination of size speed and ability of Mike Evans. Let's not forget that.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the premise. Preseason polls are MAINLY based on the feel people got from the team in the last 2-3 games of the previous season. I'd say at least 75% would be attributed to that. The other 25% is made up of schedule strength and recruiting and predictions. I don't think Auburn will finish in the top 10. Things do change in the offseason and I have little to no faith that the research necessary to accurately predict the next season is even attempted by most.

The real factors that differentiate a 6-7 win team from a 9 plus win team in the SEC is leadership, chemistry, successful experience (not just experience), and a staff that knows how to utilize players properly.

Coaches just don't give media members the access to their programs that will give them the ability to asess most of those things.

Therefore, polls are fun things to look at, but mostly useless.

Ole Miss is a 'sexy' pick right now in spite of how they lost to us in the egg bowl due to the Ndkimdeeche factor alone.

Replace A&M at 20 with us and I have no problem with that poll. A&M will fall out anyway once they are embarrassed on national tv by USC anyway. To me, that is the biggest eye sore of the poll.

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I appreciate all remarks about the potential of A&M but they all seem to be offense related and to me that makes them almost irrelevant this year. Defense is the issue. They are not going to put up the 38 ppg game in SEC play that I think they are going to need to average to win enough SEC games to get bowl eligible. They may have a decent offense but JFF was special and I just don't believe you get one every year. The other pieces are not there. They are not going to outscore people because ppg allowed by there defense is going to be laughable.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:56 PM
I appreciate all remarks about the potential of A&M but they all seem to be offense related and to me that makes them almost irrelevant this year. Defense is the issue. They are not going to put up the 38 ppg game in SEC play that I think they are going to need to average to win enough SEC games to get bowl eligible. They may have a decent offense but JFF was special and I just don't believe you get one every year. The other pieces are not there. They are not going to outscore people because ppg allowed by there defense is going to be laughable.

Agreed.

Tbonewannabe
08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

If you took JFF off last years team, A&M might not make a bowl game. JFF is a once a decade type play maker. Any other QB in the game last year and we win at College Station. We put enough pressure but JFF has magic feet that keep plays alive that no one else in football has. That isn't even taking into consideration losing the best LT and one of the best WR in college football. You just don't go out and replace that easily.

PMDawg
08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
A&M has been recruiting well. Their last 2 classes have been in the top 10. I expect us to win at home- but A&M won't be bad.

THIS

Dawg61
08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Point is that aTm isn't going to fall off a cliff or pull an Arkansas or Auburn last year Chizik. They have been recruiting at a top level, have top of the line facilities, more money than Guatemala and a damn good head coach. I see aTm being 8-4 or 9-3 this year. Call me crazy but they aren't going to suddenly fall to #6 in the West. I do think we beat them though.

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 01:44 PM
If you took JFF off last years team, A&M might not make a bowl game. JFF is a once a decade type play maker. Any other QB in the game last year and we win at College Station. We put enough pressure but JFF has magic feet that keep plays alive that no one else in football has. That isn't even taking into consideration losing the best LT and one of the best WR in college football. You just don't go out and replace that easily.

This all day. Johnny took them from a bubble bowl berth type team, to a 8-10 win team. He himself had that much impact on their W's and L's. He beat Alabama his first season and kept them from losing 2 to OM, at last year to us at Kyle Field, la tech in 2012 and a few others. He was good for about 3 extra W's a season by himself.

drunkernhelldawg
08-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm disappointed that we're not ranked. These preseason rankings affect rankings throughout the season. What happens on the field matters more, of course, but the difference between our view of our team and the national view of our team is stunning to me.

TrapGame
08-01-2014, 01:53 PM
This all day. Johnny took them from a bubble bowl berth type team, to a 8-10 win team. He himself had that much impact on their W's and L's. He beat Alabama his first season and kept them from losing 2 to OM, at last year to us at Kyle Field, la tech in 2012 and a few others. He was good for about 3 extra W's a season by himself.

Yep, he was the game changer. Without JFF they're a 7-5 team, maybe 8-4 if they catch a good team napping. Sumlin's got talent but this is a rebuilding year for them. Now next year I expect them to be pretty damn good.

Chinchilla
08-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Point is that aTm isn't going to fall off a cliff or pull an Arkansas or Auburn last year Chizik. They have been recruiting at a top level, have top of the line facilities, more money than Guatemala and a damn good head coach. I see aTm being 8-4 or 9-3 this year. Call me crazy but they aren't going to suddenly fall to #6 in the West. I do think we beat them though.

I agree with your larger point, but 9-3 is going to be tough if you think we beat them. Their other three SEC road games are USCe, Bama, and Auburn. Then with home games against OM, Mizzou, and LSU, they could easily end up being pretty good and still only finishing 7-5.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 03:23 PM

A&M will not go 9-3 with that schedule. They will be embarrassed the first week of the season. 8-4 is their ceiling but they could just as easily go 6-6. Their defense is horrid.

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
I will also add everyone in the west (except Arkansas) will beat them. Add USC beating them from the east and that is 6 losses right there. They also play Missouri and that is no gimmie.

1bigdawg
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Yep, he was the game changer. Without JFF they're a 7-5 team, maybe 8-4 if they catch a good team napping. Sumlin's got talent but this is a rebuilding year for them. Now next year I expect them to be pretty damn good.

You do realize that with JFF they were only 8-4. They had three first round draft choices off of that offense.

I agree that Sumlin has recruited well in that he has signed highly ranked players. The jury is out on whether he is as good of a talent evaluator as his predecessor.

TrapGame
08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
You do realize that with JFF they were only 8-4. They had three first round draft choices off of that offense.

I agree that Sumlin has recruited well in that he has signed highly ranked players. The jury is out on whether he is as good of a talent evaluator as his predecessor.

And without him they would have been 6-6 last season. It's going to be interesting to see what A&M can do without JF and his main man Evans this season.

smootness
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm disappointed that we're not ranked. These preseason rankings affect rankings throughout the season. What happens on the field matters more, of course, but the difference between our view of our team and the national view of our team is stunning to me.

We scrambled to finish 6-6 last year. We have to keep that in mind. It's not surprising people aren't jumping to rank us.

Schultzy
08-01-2014, 09:09 PM
We scrambled to finish 6-6 last year. We have to keep that in mind. It's not surprising people aren't jumping to rank us.

That's right gotta do something to give people confidence in us, but we have the chance to do it this year.

chainedup_Dawg
08-01-2014, 10:01 PM

I'm just not buying it. A&M was so dangerous on O last year simply because of the threat JFF posed to the D and Evans. I have a hard time believing they have two players ready to step in that could have the same effect on a game.

Not to mention, they just lost arguably their best defensive player on what was already a horrid D

Todd4State
08-01-2014, 10:47 PM

Yeah, but we also destroyed our bowl opponent.