PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for coming season

Dogchomp
07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Guys, I'm not posting this trying to be a pessimist or anything of the sort. But even if we don't (please baby Jesus let us though) make it to Atlanta this season, we shouldn't view this next season as a disappointment. I think we all need to take a step back, and as realists, realize we're all a part of the best history this football program has ever been in. I believe our program is steadily trending up, and this is just the beginning. Some may counter me by saying the late 90's and early 2000's were better, but just looking at the clean (as clean as a SEC program can be) way our staff has built this program and the consistency we have has made the difference. We just need to realize we're witnessing a golden age for MSU football, not take it for granted, while also being patient for our next date with Atlanta.

smootness
07-31-2014, 11:47 PM
Guys, I'm not posting this trying to be a pessimist or anything of the sort. But even if we don't (please baby Jesus let us though) make it to Atlanta this season, we shouldn't view this next season as a disappointment. I think we all need to take a step back, and as realists, realize we're all a part of the best history this football program has ever been in. I believe our program is steadily trending up, and this is just the beginning. Some may counter me by saying the late 90's and early 2000's were better, but just looking at the clean (as clean as a SEC program can be) way our staff has built this program and the consistency we have has made the difference. We just need to realize we're witnessing a golden age for MSU football, not take it for granted, while also being patient for our next date with Atlanta.

If anyone sees simply not making the SEC title game as a disappointment, then yikes.

sleepy dawg
07-31-2014, 11:50 PM
How many State fans have actually said it would be a disappointing season to not make Atlanta?

fishwater99
07-31-2014, 11:52 PM

When will Mulken beat a Top 20 team?

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 12:20 AM
4th post? And this is it? Check out the wording of the post and tell me it's not a beavtroll...

I seen it dawg
08-01-2014, 06:20 AM
4th post? And this is it? Check out the wording of the post and tell me it's not a beavtroll...

I get it's troll season and a troll it might be but let them expose themselves. Every new poster is getting the shit treatment right out of the gate. Hell if I wanted to sign up and enjoy the best MSU board out there I might be hesitant because of the immediate troll attack. The trolls always expose themselves so let's let them do that before we go all out troll blitz attack. (Rouge not saying you did it's just a general observation)

Offshore Dawg
08-01-2014, 06:54 AM
This is what I hate about the ass sucking bears. If its about tsun and you went there you are automatically better than somebody that went to State in their twisted outlook on life.

sbcmortgageman
08-01-2014, 07:00 AM

Put it this way: you're on the watch list.

Dogchomp
08-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Mr. Roguepup, I'm a MSU student, you know one of those guys that pays tuition to the school? Excuse me for bringing intelligence that is thought of as "threatening" or "out of place" to this board. I'm simply saying that anything more than 8 wins this season should be viewed as a success.

Statefan
08-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I definitely agree with what you are saying in terms of us being consistent in reaching bowl games and living in a "golden age" for msu football. BUT if we can't win 9+ this year, will we ever?

maroonmania
08-01-2014, 08:41 AM
I get it's troll season and a troll it might be but let them expose themselves. Every new poster is getting the shit treatment right out of the gate. Hell if I wanted to sign up and enjoy the best MSU board out there I might be hesitant because of the immediate troll attack. The trolls always expose themselves so let's let them do that before we go all out troll blitz attack. (Rouge not saying you did it's just a general observation)

Yea, I don't really see anything wrong with the post. There are definitely tons of MSU fans that are realist and refuse to get caught up in hoopla until they actually see something on the field to validate it. I think getting to 9 wins should be a realistic goal this year and, for me, anything less would be somewhat of a disappointment. If we win 8 it just means that we've beaten 4 not so good OOC teams and Vandy, KY and ARK in the SEC along with a TA&M team at home that will likely be somewhat down from what they've been the past 2 seasons. If we don't beat AT LEAST one of Auburn, @LSU, @AL and @OM then we are just treading water so to speak and it will be sort of the hollow 8-4 result we had in 2012 where we didn't beat anyone very good and then lost in the Gator Bowl. And winning in Oxford will not nearly as easy as some on this board are making it out to be.

dawg27
08-01-2014, 09:19 AM

i agree with u. This is why i dont post much,the first couple of post i got tagged as a troll. I am one of the biggest state fan there is,i get the same seat season ticket holder for eight years i go to every home game and i go to most away games. Even now when i post something i have to think about it. So i agree let them expose them selves.

Dogchomp
08-01-2014, 09:34 AM
I definitely agree with what you are saying in terms of us being consistent in reaching bowl games and living in a "golden age" for msu football. BUT if we can't win 9+ this year, will we ever? I agree this year is our best chance to have a breakout season. Mainly because our defense should be a top 5 SEC defense, and could be top 3. Idk, crow just tastes better when you get something better than you expected.

Statefan
08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I agree this year is our best chance to have a breakout season. Mainly because our defense should be a top 5 SEC defense, and could be top 3. Idk, crow just tastes better when you get something better than you expected.

You're right. I definitely won't chalk up games like TA&M and UM as probable wins, and I think it's crazy that people are calling @LSU and AUB as 50/50 games. I guess we will have a much better picture in terms of teams' strengths and injuries by the time we play LSU, but we will certainly need an upset or two to get to 9 or 10. Like Cadaver said yesterday, you don't just go from squeaking by BG and UK to smashing A&M and beating LSU on the road. That being said, we have the defense and QB to be in every game and I think we will end up 9-3 with a win against Mississippi

CadaverDawg
08-01-2014, 09:59 AM
i agree with u. This is why i dont post much,the first couple of post i got tagged as a troll. I am one of the biggest state fan there is,i get the same seat season ticket holder for eight years i go to every home game and i go to most away games. Even now when i post something i have to think about it. So i agree let them expose them selves.

Don't let a few guys calling every new poster a troll, deter you from posting. If you're trolling, the mods will figure it out eventually, so there's no need in having everyone trying to be the troll police. Here's an idea, if any of the regular posters/readers, suspect a troll in any way, either PM me and tell me to watch out for _____ poster....or hit the little triangle button in the bottom left corner of that person's post and report them. If you do that, it gives you a blank to say why you are reporting them, and sends an email to all the mods. The person you're reporting cannot see it either, so you are anonymous.

I seen it is right. We need to be welcoming of new members, not trying to label everyone a troll. So please, moving forward, keep the "troll" labeling to a private message, and allow everyone a chance to be new. We were all new at one time, after all.

And to the newbies, please continue to post and add value. At the same time, don't get offended if you get a little rookie hazing. Should you be labeled a "troll"...no. If any new members are having any issues, PM me and let me know what's up. I'll do my best to help out both sides of a troll debate.

I think everybody knows I have a strong troll radar, but at the same time we want people to want to post. As always, PM me if you suspect someone and want me to keep an eye on them.

Thanks guys

FISHDAWG
08-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Mr. Roguepup, I'm a MSU student, you know one of those guys that pays tuition to the school? Excuse me for bringing intelligence that is thought of as "threatening" or "out of place" to this board. I'm simply saying that anything more than 8 wins this season should be viewed as a success.

ha - you will have to excuse us as we are on Bear alert right now ... trolling us is all they have this season

http://www.filmsi.com/images/platoon-barnes12.jpg

DudyDawg
08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
You gained my favor by calling him Rougepup

I seen it dawg
08-01-2014, 10:38 AM

You're good

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 10:57 AM

I know what a student and the definition of tuition because I donate thousands of dollars a year to athletics and academic scholarship funds that pay the "tuition" for students.

Your wording was very similar to how the bear trolls start off and then progress into fullblown inflamed beavers on here. Pardon the troll accusation.

And Dudy"pup", do you have a problem?

Coach34
08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I haven't seen anybody saying it's Atlanta or bust this year. I do disagree with the people that say 8 wins would be a disappointment. For me- 7 would be disappointing

DudyDawg
08-01-2014, 11:54 AM
And Dudy"pup", do you have a problem?

Uh oh. Tough guy. Chill out. The only person with any problems is you

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Don't let a few guys calling every new poster a troll, deter you from posting. If you're trolling, the mods will figure it out eventually, so there's no need in having everyone trying to be the troll police. Here's an idea, if any of the regular posters/readers, suspect a troll in any way, either PM me and tell me to watch out for _____ poster....or hit the little triangle button in the bottom left corner of that person's post and report them. If you do that, it gives you a blank to say why you are reporting them, and sends an email to all the mods. The person you're reporting cannot see it either, so you are anonymous.

I seen it is right. We need to be welcoming of new members, not trying to label everyone a troll. So please, moving forward, keep the "troll" labeling to a private message, and allow everyone a chance to be new. We were all new at one time, after all.

And to the newbies, please continue to post and add value. At the same time, don't get offended if you get a little rookie hazing. Should you be labeled a "troll"...no. If any new members are having any issues, PM me and let me know what's up. I'll do my best to help out both sides of a troll debate.

I think everybody knows I have a strong troll radar, but at the same time we want people to want to post. As always, PM me if you suspect someone and want me to keep an eye on them.

Thanks guys

I agree with this although sometimes you CAN tell right off the bat even if it's subtle. But, with that said, we were all new. Look at my username and imagine how skeptically I was looked at in the beginning. The "Bear" part of BulldogBear is actually unrelated to sports MSU or otherwise and goes back long before the Ole Miss "Black Bear." There is a mod that knows the story.

Quaoarsking
08-01-2014, 12:11 PM
When will Mulken beat a Top 20 team?

5 years ago. Feel free to move the goalposts and ask when he'll beat a top 15 team.

fishwater99
08-01-2014, 12:27 PM
5 years ago. Feel free to move the goalposts and ask when he'll beat a top 15 team.

No moving of any goalposts and you are dead wrong...

Mullen is 0-19 vs Teams ranked in the Top 20 when we played them ...

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

And, Mullen hasn't beaten a Top 25 team since 2010, that's 4 years ago...
2010 (win over #22 UF)

He is 2-21 vs Top 25 teams.

It's Time.... Will 2014 be the year? I hope so, or Mullen might need to go...

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Here is my floor and ceiling

Floor - 9-3 with losses to Alabama, LSU and either Auburn/Ole Miss
Ceiling - 11-1 with a loss to Alabama

It will be very difficult to beat Alabama at Alabama but I could see us winning every other game. Will 11-1 be enough to get to Atlanta? I hope so but wouldn't it be crap to have an 11-1 year with both Auburn and Alabama at 11-1 and we got shut out of Atlanta as well as finishing 5th in the polls? Wouldn't that be so much like the Mississippi State luck?

MarketingBully01
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

2010 (win over #22 UF)

You play this card every year. Here's hoping (and I predict he will) Mullen will shut you up this year.

Bully13
08-01-2014, 01:07 PM

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

2010 (win over #22 UF)

not getting "Mullen might need to go" quote. there's really no place for that at this juncture. please see what happened to the bears after firing cutcliff. please see what happened to the buzzards when they fired that guy who'd been there for a long time. I certainly hope we don't fall for that shit and let Miss football history repeat itself.

As far as pre-season expectations, they should be high. my reasons are the way we finished the season and the players we have coming back. I think that upig win was better than some think. they were a better team towards the latter part of the season and to do that on the road with Williams under center was a bigger feat than some realize. he was thrown in a situation that he had no business being in but he surprised us. that game had disaster written all over it as well as the egg bowl. not allowing the bears an offensive touchdown was one of the most impressive things I've seen a MSU team pull off in a long time. being able to win those last 2 games in my opinion was amazing and is a testament to how Mullen is maturing as a head coach. If I were betting on it, I bet that we do pull off 1 or 2 w's against the big guys. I've seen so many years when not only were we getting beat by these guys but literally stomped. and that was back in the day when the competition was not nearly as tough. we've competed well in those losses and I realize winning is the name of the game but fighting hard every down vs getting blown out by half time is a big differnce. and most of that all is on the head coach. "Mullen can beat ranked teams" just isn't working for me right now. I have every reason to be fired up about the season and can't wait. negativity, pessimism, and complaining just doesn't belong in Bulldog Nation right now.

RougeDawg
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Uh oh. Tough guy. Chill out. The only person with any problems is you

I'm just asking. I don't recall ever saying anything directed toward you.

Quaoarsking
08-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Who cares what they were ranked when we played them. Ole Miss was #20 in the Final AP Poll in 2009. They were a top 20 team and Mullen's top 20 win.

Similarly, that 7-6 Vanderbilt team Croom beat was NOT a top 15 team, regardless of what the pollsters named them in that particular week.

Claiming otherwise is just asinine.

The Federalist Engineer
08-02-2014, 12:09 AM
The Atlanta thing would be a "bust" topic if we had never been. People have won national titles, won Heismans, had multiple #1 draft picks, and played in BCS games without going to Atlanta. I see Atlanta within a number of accomplishments that would make for a great season. There is no harder 7-team division in an conference to win in college football.