PDA

View Full Version : Russell and Bonifacio to Atlanta.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
I like this. Not sure what we gave though

shoeless joe
07-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Interesting. I like the trade depending on what atl gave up. This may spell the end of Schaefer with the speed of bonafacio. I really don't have a good feeling about this year with this team but this small move could be a big deal. If somehow the braves do make it to October I don't see them winning a series... Not because their jersey says "braves" but because I don't think this team is good enough.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Definitely the end for Schafer. Good riddance.

Heard a minor league catcher. Please Lord, don't be bethancourt (surely we can't be this stupid)

msstate7
07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Victor caratini to cubs. I like the move

shoeless joe
07-31-2014, 03:40 PM
If it is bethancourt, which I doubt, frank wren deserves the axe. I have really been underwhelmed with him anyway. Surely shuerholz isn't sitting back agreeing with all this.

shoeless joe
07-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Victor caratini to cubs. I like the move

Yep. Good move now. Put them over the top? We shall see. But a team improving move to be sure.

What is bonafacio's contract status? He is a super utility that can play every day, ala infante. Would like to see him still around next year.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Yep. Good move now. Put them over the top? We shall see. But a team improving move to be sure.

What is bonafacio's contract status? He is a super utility that can play every day, ala infante. Would like to see him still around next year.

Not sure but I think he's a FA next year. We control Russell next season I think

War Machine Dawg
07-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Really like the move. Bonaficio should get regular PT and may even be able to take the leadoff spot away from BJ. Don't know much about Russell. Would've much rather gotten Andrew Miller. That dude is lights out. Best part is we really didn't give up anything of substance to get two players. Now if we can just find someone to dump BJ on, we'll really be cooking. Regardless, we've upgraded the bench. Good move.

cbrunt29
07-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Anybody got Russell's stats? I've never heard of him before.. but I definitely like Bonafacio.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Anybody got Russell's stats? I've never heard of him before.. but I definitely like Bonafacio.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=460701#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2014&level='ALL'

smootness
07-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Do not like this trade at all. Barely moves the meter for the team currently, Bonifacio is extremely mediocre at best.

But with our dearth of hitters in the minors, we needed Caratini to become something.

To me, this screams of, 'Well, we have to do something!' while giving up a potentially really good hitter down the line.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Do not like this trade at all. Barely moves the meter for the team currently, Bonifacio is extremely mediocre at best.

But with our dearth of hitters in the minors, we needed Caratini to become something.

To me, this screams of, 'Well, we have to do something!' while giving up a potentially really good hitter down the line.

I disagree that this doesn't improve the team. As far as how much that remains to be seen. Bonifacio can play almost any position. He's a switch hitter that can play almost every position. He's got value. Russell has been tough on lefties his whole career, but he's not been as good this year. I have faith in McDowell though.

Caratini is a nice prospect, but bethancourt is ahead of him. If we go with Christian, we'll get a nice return for gattis. If we go gattis, we'll get a nice return for Christian

smootness
07-31-2014, 06:55 PM
I disagree that this doesn't improve the team. As far as how much that remains to be seen. Bonifacio can play almost any position. He's a switch hitter that can play almost every position. He's got value. Russell has been tough on lefties his whole career, but he's not been as good this year. I have faith in McDowell though.

Caratini is a nice prospect, but bethancourt is ahead of him. If we go with Christian, we'll get a nice return for gattis. If we go gattis, we'll get a nice return for Christian

I agree with a lot of this. But Caratini's future with us was probably at 3B, and we have no one there for the future unless we move Peraza over.

I just don't think we're anywhere close to truly contending, so this deal doesn't really do anything. It's the kind of deal you make when you're there but just need some minor tweaking. We either need to go all in or begin to build the farm system back up.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 07:16 PM
I agree with a lot of this. But Caratini's future with us was probably at 3B, and we have no one there for the future unless we move Peraza over.

I just don't think we're anywhere close to truly contending, so this deal doesn't really do anything. It's the kind of deal you make when you're there but just need some minor tweaking. We either need to go all in or begin to build the farm system back up.

I didnt realize he was potentially being moved to 3b. If he had potential to be our 3b, I like the deal less

smootness
07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
I didnt realize he was potentially being moved to 3b. If he had potential to be our 3b, I like the deal less

I'll be honest, I don't know if that was the plan. I just know he was drafted as a 3B/C. Maybe we traded him b/c we didn't see him at third, but I liked his upside.

trob115
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I've been begging to revamp the farm system. That being said, I don't believe carantini projected as a 3b. He is a solid prospect but we have Gattis and bethancourt ahead of him. As for peraza, he has average arm strength and could possibly play 3b if needed, but lacks power that you traditionally want at the corner infield spots (not that Johnson is either ).

msstate7
07-31-2014, 09:21 PM
I've been begging to revamp the farm system. That being said, I don't believe carantini projected as a 3b. He is a solid prospect but we have Gattis and bethancourt ahead of him. As for peraza, he has average arm strength and could possibly play 3b if needed, but lacks power that you traditionally want at the corner infield spots (not that Johnson is either ).

Peraza will be our 2b when he's ready. He's projected to be a gold glove type player that can hit and run. Lastella won't hold him off