PDA

View Full Version : So are we running a more hurry up style offense this season?

mstatefan91
07-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Was listening to the player interviews today posted on hailstate.com and Beckwith mentions that we will be going no huddle and snapping the ball a lot faster this year.

preachermatt83
07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
I figure we will do a little of both... THe last time we tried all no huddle was 2011 and it sucked.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I caught that too. Said the goal is to snap it every 30 seconds.

Preach, he also commented about the conditioning change to more running is part why they're doing it, because they are more fit.

codeDawg
07-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Russell couldn't run it. I'm assuming they think Dak can.

07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Russell couldn't run it. I'm assuming they think Dak can.

He said that he never huddled in high school - at 2:37.

http://youtu.be/HlPF1yfpSmU?t=2m37s

Miss. Stake
07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Good to hear. A good change of pace can really help the offense. There were several times last year when Dak was at the helm that I wish we would have sped it up and kept the offense rolling. On the flip side, there are drives where taking a little extra time helps with the flow. The ability to feel the flow of the game and run your offense accordingly helps imo.

quickstrike2
07-31-2014, 03:54 PM
The only thing the no huddle brought up previously was screaming fast 3 and outs. We gave the ball back so fast that we could never get momentum.

Now, I think Dak would be more of a no huddle type qb. I am all for giving it another try.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 04:10 PM
To me, I'd kinda like to see us at least be a threat to snap it in 30 seconds. Let them worry about defensive substitutions, etc. Send Dak up there with a handful of 1 or 2 word play calls designed for quick snap if the defense presents an opportunity, such as bad formation, or too many men on the field, etc. If the defense is set up well, then take your time at the LOS to get your read from Mullen, call, your play, etc. For example, have everyone ready for plays, "A", "B", "C" or "D". If "C" is the play call when Dak gets to the line, simply have him say, "China, Go!" Everybody knows, "China" is a quick snap on, "Go".

I'd also like to see how a defense might react if we mix it up by sometimes hurrying to the line and formation, then others where we perhaps have the play called, but huddle right at the line, then, as quickly as possible rush everyone up to the line ready for a quick snap before the D had a chance to react to the formation.

engie
07-31-2014, 04:12 PM
I figure we will do a little of both... THe last time we tried all no huddle was 2011 and it sucked.

Relf wasn't the quickest thinker in the world was the problem there. Neither was Russell for that matter. Russell almost always waited till within 10 seconds on the playclock. Dak already did everything alot quicker last year...

Maroons
07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
12 play drives are great when they end in a score, but I'd also like to see more explosive plays.

mstatefan91
07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Relf wasn't the quickest thinker in the world was the problem there. Neither was Russell for that matter. Russell almost always waited till within 10 seconds on the playclock. Dak already did everything alot quicker last year...

That was one of Russell's biggest problem. He wouldn't get everyone set until there was only 10 seconds left on the play clock leaving no time for any kind of audibles

chef dixon
07-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Sucks that this is the way football has to be played now. I guess it gives lesser talented teams a chance at least.

mstatefan91
07-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Sucks that this is the way football has to be played now. I guess it gives lesser talented teams a chance at least.

Oh no the game is evolving....

bulldawg28
07-31-2014, 05:16 PM
The hurry up is the way to beat Bama. I wondered why we got away from it when Relf was successful running it. Tyler wasn't a hurry up kind of guy.

BiscuitEater
07-31-2014, 05:40 PM
The hurry up is the way to beat Bama.

Include ... Change of pace ... Go under center on short yardage, diamond formation ... Change up snap count ... Keep Bama defense on their heels.

bulldawg28
07-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Bama is built to stop LSU. Speed guys in space making those 3-4 backers become isolated is a killer to that defense. The hurry up is their Achilles. Every SEC team with the hurry up moves the ball on them. The faster you play it limits then from being able to audible and change defenses. It forces their hand and makes them show their calls.

Coach34
07-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Russell is a smart guy- but his decision-making just needed to be quicker. Relf wasnt on a level with Tyler- let alone Dakota. I think the other 3 QB's are fairly sharp too. I really like this QB group

Coach34
07-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Bama is built to stop LSU. Speed guys in space making those 3-4 backers become isolated is a killer to that defense. The hurry up is their Achilles. Every SEC team with the hurry up moves the ball on them. The faster you play it limits then from being able to audible and change defenses. It forces their hand and makes them show their calls.

It also forces their 300+ pound space-eaters on that DL to play faster and move more. They dont like that shit and wear down. It keeps Saban from situation substituting- which is huge because he is so well prepared.

mstatefan91
07-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Per Carskadon

Mullen was asked about doing more no-huddle, hurry-up offense. Basically said, nah. "I wouldn't say all that. We're a ball-control offense."

bulldawg28
07-31-2014, 07:29 PM
It also forces their 300+ pound space-eaters on that DL to play faster and move more. They dont like that shit and wear down. It keeps Saban from situation substituting- which is huge because he is so well prepared.

True.

bulldawg28
07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Per Carskadon

He'll have it installed and will run it when needed. *Coach talk*

mstatefan91
07-31-2014, 07:34 PM

He probably didn't want it discussed so much by the players. I expect it to be run in certain games

HailState39110
07-31-2014, 07:49 PM
I would like to use hurry up when we are either much more talented than the team we are playing or playing a pro style team we are less talented than . In other words , use hurry up vs USM, UAB, S Alabama,UT Martin, Bama , and LSU

I think playing ball control and sound defense vs teams you are pretty equal with in talent is the way to win your swing type games . In other words play ball control vs TAMU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt

CadaverDawg
07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Mullen was asked about doing more no-huddle, hurry-up offense. Basically said, nah. "I wouldn't say all that. We're a ball-control offense."

Poker face

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/03/Poker-Face-GIF.gif

Todd4State
08-01-2014, 01:23 AM
As far as the no huddle offense, let's not forget that Dan is in the New Hampshire mafia along with Chip Kelly who is one of the guys that has refined the hurry up offense with the spread.

The reason it didn't work before for us was because our o-line started to get hurt. We used it for the first two games and we put up 59 on Memphis and 34 up on Auburn. Then Carmon went down and we had to start Clausell as a freshman. We haven't run it since because we didn't have the personnel to run it as others have said.

Todd4State
08-01-2014, 01:28 AM
I would like to use hurry up when we are either much more talented than the team we are playing or playing a pro style team we are less talented than . In other words , use hurry up vs USM, UAB, S Alabama,UT Martin, Bama , and LSU

I think playing ball control and sound defense vs teams you are pretty equal with in talent is the way to win your swing type games . In other words play ball control vs TAMU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt

That's the thing- we should have the ability to slow it down when we need to as well.

We have our best QB of the Dan Mullen era right now. We have an o-line with a senior C along with at least two other seniors. Malone will start and he has been here for four years as well even though he's not a senior. We have a badass slot WR in Jameon (KEY), a senior H-back and a good group of outside WR's to go along with a trio of big backs who are all pretty good so far.

This group should have the ability to take some liberties.

bulldawg28
08-01-2014, 10:16 AM
That's the thing- we should have the ability to slow it down when we need to as w:)ell.
We have our best QB of the Dan Mullen era right now. We have an o-line with a senior C along with at least two other seniors. Malone will start and he has been here for four years as well even though he's not a senior. We have a badass slot WR in Jameon (KEY), a senior H-back and a good group of outside WR's to go along with a trio of big backs who are all pretty good so far.

Preach reverend.

engie
08-01-2014, 10:45 AM
That's the thing- we should have the ability to slow it down when we need to as well.

To me, practice in the hurry up 80% of the time. Why wouldn't you? In theory this lends you an offense that can run it and a defense that can defend it...

Slowing down is easy -- it's going faster that's difficult...

DapperDawg
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM

I bet we rarely run it, if at all. Mullen is known for his head-scratchers.

mstatefan91
08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Talked to one of the offensive linemen today, and he said that the summer workouts were geared around running a hurry up offense. When I brought up that Dan Mullen said they would be sticking with ball control/slow/steady offense, all I got was "just buy a ticket and see for yourself."

So idk guys haha

codeDawg
08-01-2014, 01:31 PM
To me, practice in the hurry up 80% of the time. Why wouldn't you? In theory this lends you an offense that can run it and a defense that can defend it...

Slowing down is easy -- it's going faster that's difficult...

I can get behind that. Practice fast so a game feels like slow motion. When you actually need to hurry, you're already accustomed to it.

Also, the defense practices against it.

codeDawg
08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I can get behind that. Practice fast so a game feels like slow motion. When you actually need to hurry, you're already accustomed to it.

Also, the defense practices against it.

One other thing about practicing hurry up. With NCAA rules you are extremely limited in time. Faster pace = more reps.