07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Makes no sense

msstate7
07-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Billy b is good, but I'm not sure about this one

Smitty
07-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Makes no sense

You need pitching to win in the postseason. That's the one thing he hasn't accomplished and he's going all in for it. I think it makes perfect sense.

MsStateBaseball
07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
I hate it. I am a huge Red Sox fan. Gomes and Lester loved playing for Sox. They wanted to retire there. Dang, free agency. But its a business. Owners won a WS with them now its a youth movement.

msstate7
07-31-2014, 09:25 AM
You need pitching to win in the postseason. That's the one thing he hasn't accomplished and he's going all in for it. I think it makes perfect sense.

I think you need 3 good starters in the postseason. Which 3 do they use? They've now acquired 3 new starters to go with Kazmir and gray. I think it's a little overkill.

They lead angels by 2.5. I won't be surprised if they get caught.

mic
07-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Great move for Sox esp if Cespedes is under contract for a couple of years. No way the A's sign Lester next year he will ask for way too much $$ and he could very easily be back with Red Sox. It will probably cost them more for them to sign him if he does..

Smitty
07-31-2014, 09:35 AM
I think you need 3 good starters in the postseason. Which 3 do they use? They've now acquired 3 new starters to go with Kazmir and gray. I think it's a little overkill.

They lead angels by 2.5. I won't be surprised if they get caught.

Hammel has been pitiful and the current setup 4 man rotation is needed in postseason. Gray Lester Shark Kazmir... Thats tough to beat 4 times.

Dawg61
07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Great move for Sox esp if Cespedes is under contract for a couple of years. No way the A's sign Lester next year he will ask for way too much $$ and he could very easily be back with Red Sox. It will probably cost them more for them to sign him if he does..

This is why it makes no sense. Cespedes still had years left on his contract. He is a vital reason for their success imo. The fans LOVE him there. Lester will cost a fortune after 3 months. Odd trade.

War Machine Dawg
07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah, bad trade. You rent Lester for 2-3 months and give up the guy who's supposedly your franchise player. Not only that, but Lester is highly likely to end up back with Boston next season. In essence, you essentially gave away your best player for free.

trob115
07-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Talk about a win win for the sox. They will get Lester back in FA and still have cespedes under contract. I can't believe Beane made this trade. Imo, cespedes would be more important to the future than a 2 month rental of Lester.

mic
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
This is why it makes no sense. Cespedes still had years left on his contract. He is a vital reason for their success imo. The fans LOVE him there. Lester will cost a fortune after 3 months. Odd trade.

I agree 100%... Unless the A's have a stud LF in the minors they are ready to bring up next year..
Of course if they win the World Series and Lester plays a role then it was a great move..

dawgs
07-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Yeah I don't see this from the A's side of things. Cespedes is signed thru 2015. Though I bet billy b has run the numbers and thinks they can get close to the same run production and bump hammel down to 5th SP/long relief. I guess one saving grave is they were highly unlikely to sign cespedes after 2015 either, so if they think they can get similar production thru platoons the rest of this year and add an ace with 2 WS rings for the playoffs. Also cespedes turns 29 in October and that's a Cuban 29, so he's already dangerously close to the typical decline of players in the post-roid era.

dawgs
07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
If Lester goes back to the sox in the offseason, this could really set up the A's to win it all this year and the sox to win it all next year.

Also, keep in mind the A's have been trying to get a new stadium for years (and running in trouble getting around tv rights of the giants), so winning a WS could go a really long way in getting them a new stadium.

dawgs
07-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Talk about a win win for the sox. They will get Lester back in FA and still have cespedes under contract. I can't believe Beane made this trade. Imo, cespedes would be more important to the future than a 2 month rental of Lester.

The A's aren't resigning cespedes after 2015 though, so if they win it all this year and end up being a little worse next year, by 2016, they are no better or worse than they'd be if they had stayed put with cespedes, and they might have gotten a ring out of it.

camsu
07-31-2014, 11:30 AM
We traded away our best power outfield prospect earlier. Brought up Burns, speed to replace our 2 injuried CF, playing now. Going back to what we were, pitching, defense, speed and hitting for average which Cespedes did not do. Gomes is from the Bay Area and sure he is happy to be coming home. Next yr. our two injuried SP should be back, Parker and Griffin so Lester will go to the Yankees for tons of money.

Smitty
07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
I think Oakland made out great here. Does a Jonny Gomes/Sam Fuld platoon equal Yoenis? Probably not but its not that far off. Then throw in Lester and the A's made out great. He's the best postseason arm out there, look no further than last season. That's the experienced anchor that has the nuts to go deep in games in October.

Dawg61
07-31-2014, 11:57 AM
A's record with Cespedes in the lineup is drastically better than with him out of the lineup ever since he got there. He is a MAJOR reason for their success. He is the catalyst for them imo. Donaldson, Moss and others aren't as effective either without Cespedes hitting cleanup. I hate this trade for Oakland. There must be something to this that we are not hearing yet.