PDA

View Full Version : I'm not trying to scare anybody

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 12:54 AM
But the guy Mizzou is throwing is expected to be pitching against us has a 3rd-4th round grade in the upcoming MLB draft. And yes, he is 2-9 with an ERA over 3.

The Croom Diaries
05-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Sounds like an Evan Mitchell type. But they probably have to use him not having the same depth or standard of excellence we do.

I'll await his BABIP, SIERA MIST and SAT stats before drawing a final conclusion, however.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2013, 07:50 AM
I've changed my mind since yesterday. There's no reason to save Pollo/Graveman/etc. and try to throw Fitts or somebody against Mizzou.

We aren't going to be a national seed even if we win the whole thing, but losing to Missouri could knock us out of a Regional host, so just stick to the rotation. Pollorena against Missouri, Graveman against South Carolina, Lindgren against Vandy or whoever. If we make it deep into the tournament and run out of pitchers, so be it. Better to have that happen than lose our hosting bid.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 10:01 AM
I've changed my mind since yesterday. There's no reason to save Pollo/Graveman/etc. and try to throw Fitts or somebody against Mizzou.

We aren't going to be a national seed even if we win the whole thing, but losing to Missouri could knock us out of a Regional host, so just stick to the rotation. Pollorena against Missouri, Graveman against South Carolina, Lindgren against Vandy or whoever. If we make it deep into the tournament and run out of pitchers, so be it. Better to have that happen than lose our hosting bid.

This is my thoughts as well. I would throw the regular rotation, and if we are still playing after that, just adjust and adapt...survive and advance. We just need to make sure we win a game or two to cement us into a hosting spot. Don't get greedy and get beat by Mizzou by throwing Fitts.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 10:37 AM
But the guy Mizzou is throwing is expected to be pitching against us has a 3rd-4th round grade in the upcoming MLB draft. And yes, he is 2-9 with an ERA over 3.

is he a RHP or LHP? That probably matters most of all

Coach34
05-19-2013, 10:39 AM
We need to trot Pollo out for Game 1 like we always do...all we are doing at this point is trying to get a win or two to improve our hosting match-up

Ghost of Hank Flick
05-19-2013, 10:53 AM
I think I'd throw Pollo. He just went on 4 days rest from Sat. in Oxford to Thurs vs. USC so he can do it. I'd start all the regulars in Game 1, if we win that I'd start Graveman vs. USC in Game 2 but I'd start a lot of guys like Slauter, Frost, etc. to get them some ABs. I may even give Renfroe the day off for a two-fold reason: won't get injured on the bench and let him sit back on the bench with no pressure to perform....maybe it will help get him out of his funk.

State82
05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
is he a RHP or LHP? That probably matters most of all

I assume Todd is talking about Zastryzny. He is a lefty and was their top pitcher last year as a soph. Although, his numbers were not great in 2012. Whatever, we need to treat it like it is a do or die game of a regional.

msstate7
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I assume Todd is talking about Zastryzny. He is a lefty and was their top pitcher last year as a soph. Although, his numbers were not great in 2012. Whatever, we need to treat it like it is a do or die game of a regional.

Please tell me we're not facing a talented lefty in game 1.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 12:05 PM

That is indeed who I am talking about

msstate7
05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Well I hope Henderson can keep hitting. There needs to be a rea and renfroe sighting...

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Please tell me we're not facing a talented lefty in game 1.

I thought I was the most pessimistic, and most worrying, State fan ever.....but my Goodness msstate7, I bet you have an ulcer! You started worrying about Missouri before we finished off South Carolina I think. Ha

msstate7
05-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I thought I was the most pessimistic, and most worrying, State fan ever.....but my Goodness msstate7, I bet you have an ulcer! You started worrying about Missouri before we finished off South Carolina I think. Ha
Everyone seems to take them lightly. I just worry that it's a trap game. And yeah I just worry...

Ronny
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM

I don't give a crap who they have pitching.

..he couldn't beat either Southern Miss. or Memphis.

Missouri started their season by going 0-3 vs. USM & 0-3 vs. Memphis.

They were swept by aTm, who we swept. They did manage to steal one from Tennessee.

Long story short: Missouri is a horrible baseball team. Their record for the year is 17-31.

If MSU loses to Missouri Tues. night, it will be the most embarrassing MSU sporting defeat since Croom lost to Maine.

missouridawg
05-19-2013, 03:06 PM
If MSU loses to Missouri Tues. night, it will be the most embarrassing MSU sporting defeat since Croom lost to Maine.

In baseball, upsets happen when one pitcher has a great night. It happens way more often than people want to realize.

There are at least 5 basketball losses by Stansbury that would be bigger defeats between the Maine game and Tuesday, if it were to occur.

Ronny
05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
In baseball, upsets happen when one pitcher has a great night. It happens way more often than people want to realize.

There are at least 5 basketball losses by Stansbury that would be bigger defeats between the Maine game and Tuesday, if it were to occur.

I am speaking for myself. It will really embarrass me if we lose to a crap team like Missouri after a solid showing against a quality South Carolina team.

I am well aware "there are no such thing as upsets in baseball" as Ron Polk used to say.

But we have drawn an inferior opponent in a first round game. What more could you ask for.

Like you said, Stansbury often shit the bed when pitted against inferior opponents.

That's why Stansbury is no longer with us.

Drugdog
05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Croom diaries I agree, we must wait oh his Std, obgyn, NCIS, NCIS LVegas, FBI, LSU, IRS, and
MPH report to get a good grasp on the pitching situation.

601Dawg
05-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Just would like to add that Mizzou has a scorching .247 team batting average and not a single player batting over .300

I like our odds vs this lefty who is 2-9 with a 3.65 era.

Will James
05-19-2013, 06:43 PM
What have I told you about W-L and ERA...

This guy has a pedestrian 3.66 FIP. It's pedestrian because he's given up 10 home runs. He has a good K/BB ratio and K's nearly 9 per 9 IP.

The bad thing I see is having to face him at Hoover. HR will be at a premium at this monster park. Good thing is this is a good park for our fly ball machine Pollo to pitch in.

This won't be a cakewalk and one game situations are based a lot on which way the ball falls.

601Dawg
05-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Y'all are making a 18-31 Missouri team sound a lot better than they really are. IMO they aren't any better than some of the midweek teams we have played.

Coach34
05-19-2013, 06:56 PM
can anybody hit it out in BHam with these new bats? Shit, people had trouble with the old bats

msstate7
05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Wes rea took stanek deep last year. I'd love to see him do it again

Will James
05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Y'all are making a 18-31 Missouri team sound a lot better than they really are. IMO they aren't any better than some of the midweek teams we have played.

This ain't football. In a one game setting it could all be about Zynztryzz vs Pollo. If one is really on or really off it doesn't matter how good the team is. We lost to Jackson State before. That's baseball.

Todd4State
05-19-2013, 07:34 PM
This ain't football. In a one game setting it could all be about Zynztryzz vs Pollo. If one is really on or really off it doesn't matter how good the team is. We lost to Jackson State before. That's baseball.

That game deserves an asterisk. Bunch of pussies on that team.

Will James
05-19-2013, 07:39 PM
That game deserves an asterisk. Bunch of pussies on that team.

True. But Mizzou ain't no JSU an this is a talented pitcher. If I'm playing oddsmakers, I'd give us a 60% chance.

PMDawg
05-20-2013, 09:36 AM
No, it's just that this is a pretty good pitcher who has 3 complete games on the year and who strikes a lot of folks out. If he's on, it really doesn't matter how shitty the other 8 guys are. As Will pointed out, he gives up a lot of homers which tells me he probably throws hard and straight. If our power guys decide to show up and punish him, we will win big. If they continue slumping, it will be another low scoring and close game. If we get to their bullpen by the 6th inning or better, we cruise.

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Has Missouri announced that they will throw this Zynztryzz kid for sure tomorrow?

Spider-Man
05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes, they are throwing their ace. He didn't pitch at all last weekend. I don't think we need to start Pollo. Let him throw Wednesday. We shouldn't lose this game. If we can't beat a 2-9 pitcher, we don't deserve to host.

Will James
05-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, they are throwing their ace. He didn't pitch at all last weekend. I don't think we need to start Pollo. Let him throw Wednesday. We shouldn't lose this game. If we can't beat a 2-9 pitcher, we don't deserve to host.

That 2-9 pitcher is probably 7-4 on our team.

Spider-Man
05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
That 2-9 pitcher is probably 7-4 on our team.

And?