PDA

View Full Version : A close look at the schedule...

preachermatt83
07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Reveals that 1 upset should result in a ten win season... We should be favorites or even against the following...

USM
UAB
USA
UTM
Kentucky
aTm
Vandy
Arky
OM

so that is 9 wins... 1 upset against any of the following will be a 10 win season... I happen to think we upset two to get to 11 wins...

LSU
Bama
Auburn

see guys, im telling you, all of you guys calling for 8 wins are crazy.. If we can't win 9 we have failed, period. Come on and join the wagon friends.. It all started will the preach saying 11 wins and when we get it Ima remind you guys too!!

Leroy Jenkins
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
If you will allow yourself to dream for a minute think about this.

1. We get a very young LSU team early in the year before they get their legs under them.

2. Then we get AU at home the week after they play a physical game with LSU.

3. Later on the starters should get some quality rest vs. UTM the week before bama, while they play at LSU that week.

Could be something, could be nothing IDK.

PassInterference
07-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I hate to Bear bad news. The home team almost always wins the Egg Bowl.

engie
07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
We'd be underdogs against OM if the game was played today. Think I've seen an early like at +5.5...

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 07:16 PM
I think it is just entirely too early to make a prediction of the Egg Bowl. If Dak is healthy and playing like he should, and Bo's arm is in anything close to the shape it was in during last year's game, I don't see us losing.

DudyDawg
07-30-2014, 07:20 PM

And we almost always have a tougher schedule. There is almost always more returning starters and QBs coming back at other SECW teams. We almost always lose more than we did and almost always lack a heisman dark horse caliber qb.

I know what you're saying, but this season is not your typical MSU football season

Leroy Jenkins
07-30-2014, 07:20 PM
We'd be underdogs against OM if the game was played today. Think I've seen an early like at +5.5...

They probably have the 2 teams confused again. Thats probably 7 points our way -2.5 for home field. I would set the line at -9.5, good guys.

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Reveals that 1 upset should result in a ten win season... We should be favorites or even against the following...

USM
UAB
USA
UTM
Kentucky
aTm
Vandy
Arky
OM

so that is 9 wins... 1 upset against any of the following will be a 10 win season... I happen to think we upset two to get to 11 wins...

LSU
Bama
Auburn

see guys, im telling you, all of you guys calling for 8 wins are crazy.. If we can't win 9 we have failed, period. Come on and join the wagon friends.. It all started will the preach saying 11 wins and when we get it Ima remind you guys too!!

Preach, I've been on that wagon well b4 it became a wagon. Been saying for a long time that anything less than 9 wins should be considered a disappointment, that we SHOULD get at least 10, and probably should get 11. The only game I look at as being an uphill climb is Bama, because they are Bama, it is @ Bama and they have kicked our asses pretty soundly for a long time.

Though we have lost more in a row to LSU, we have played well with them in many of those games, and should have won a few of them. We might be better than we've been in many years, if not ever, and they are likely to be worse with all their starter losses the past couple of years.

We should have beaten Auburn the past 4 years in a row, and we'll be better this year than the past 4. They are good, but have relied on so much luck and bad calls, that they are overdue for a swing of the pendulum. I've also got to believe those losses gall Mullen, and he has learned to not take the foot off the gas again.

I do think we have a chance vs Bama, as we played them a lot tougher than anyone other than Auburn. If we had them in Starkville, I'd be a lot more positive about that game, as well.

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Come on in boys... The water is fine.....
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb28s2dvLp1qfd4lpo1_1348836352_cover.jpg

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 07:30 PM

Dan is .500 in Oxford, and I still put most of the blame for the loss on Chris Wilson's shittastic defensive scheme. I truly believe we go into this season with a team that is appreciably better than any we've had in the past 12 or 13 years. I think those who view it as a toss-up or Om as a slight favorite are very much underestimating us and somewhat overestimating them. I think we will dominate them defensively more this year than last, and will be far more productive offensively assuming Dak is healthy and we've not suffered catastrophic injuries.

Dawgcentral
07-30-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm doing my best to temper my hopes and enthusiasm, but it's difficult to do when I think about who we have coming back on defense.

The front seven are well seasoned and many are NFL bound. The secondary, after the LSU game, seemed to mature last year.

Our offensive line won't be road graters, but with the proper play calling and our mix of RBs, along with a QB like Dak, there's potential to keep any team in the conference off balance on defense. We have a senior at the center position calling the blocking schemes. Mullen stressed the need for multiple receiver targets when he arrived,...now he should have them. Load the box against us and we should burn folks one on one.

The ingredients are there. Get the special teams in sound condition and win the close ones. My hopes are high, but they were there back at the turn of the century also. This is our best shot at winning the west in a long time. If we're undefeated after LSU I'll be a mess.

jbjones
07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Dan is .500 in Oxford, and I still put most of the blame for the loss on Chris Wilson's shittastic defensive scheme. I truly believe we go into this season with a team that is appreciably better than any we've had in the past 12 or 13 years. I think those who view it as a toss-up or Om as a slight favorite are very much underestimating us and somewhat overestimating them. I think we will dominate them defensively more this year than last, and will be far more productive offensively assuming Dak is healthy and we've not suffered catastrophic injuries.

I am of the same train of thought. Our D is going to be better this year. I've watched last year's Egg Bowl twice in the past 2 weeks. Our D was just phenomenal. Our Offense should be vastly improved. I don't care if we're in oxford, there is no way anyone could convince me that we would be an underdog. I like being an underdog, but damn, reality at some point has to set in.

I'm feeling the AU game is going to be a tough one...that we win. LSU..yeah, I'm not entirely sold there just yet, but it's only July. I see a fight in T-town, but I'm not going to put my neck out for that one, either. It's going to be a damn fine season, though, I will get on board with that.

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
We are gonna roll into LSU with a 3-0 record vs a 2-1 or 3-0 LSU, and beat them, which will then have us taking on a possibly 4-1 TAMU at home, who we will beat to go 5-0 with 3 blowout wins + 2 SEC wins heading into our home game versus Auburn, likely another 5-0 team. We are going to really take out the frustration of the last 3 losses to them that should have been wins to go 6-0. UK, Arky & UT-Martin follow, which could probably put us at 9-0 going to Bryant-Denny versus a likely 9-0 Bama.

If we can find a way to take down Bama in Tusk-town, not impossible with who we have coming back and who they don't, the only thing standing between us and the SECCG (and probably a playoff spot) are Vandy & Ole Miss. We won't lose to Vandy, so will likely come into Oxford at 11-0 or 10-1, ranked in the top 10. We will ROLL Ole Miss if & when that happens.

bgdog
07-30-2014, 08:09 PM
We aren't going to be favored over OM probably won't be favored over tamu.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 08:09 PM

USM
UAB
USA
UTM
Kentucky
aTm
Vandy
Arky
OM

LSU
Bama
Auburn

http://www.okmoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/208-Old-School-quotes.gif

(Really just wanted to use this gif. Hope you're right, preacherman

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 08:11 PM
We are gonna roll into LSU with a 3-0 record vs a 2-1 or 3-0 LSU, and beat them, which will then have us taking on a possibly 4-1 TAMU at home, who we will beat to go 5-0 with 3 blowout wins + 2 SEC wins heading into our home game versus Auburn, likely another 5-0 team. We are going to really take out the frustration of the last 3 losses to them that should have been wins to go 6-0. UK, Arky & UT-Martin follow, which could probably put us at 9-0 going to Bryant-Denny versus a likely 9-0 Bama.

If we can find a way to take down Bama in Tusk-town, not impossible with who we have coming back and who they don't, the only thing standing between us and the SECCG (and probably a playoff spot) are Vandy & Ole Miss. We won't lose to Vandy, so will likely come into Oxford at 11-0 or 10-1, ranked in the top 10. We will ROLL Ole Miss if & when that happens.

http://bookishtemptations.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/ill-have-what-shes-having.gif

BeardoMSU
07-30-2014, 08:18 PM

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a600/turblyburbly/cersei1_zpsac14274b.gif

preachermatt83
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM

http://www.lifeinprogress.ca/.a/6a0120a95a88d5970b01a73dca5f0a970d-800wi

bluelightstar
07-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Early line is State (-4) over A&M.

Todd4State
07-31-2014, 12:06 AM
I'm going to break it down like this:

OOC- We should win USM, South Alabama, UT-Favre, and UAB. USM will be somewhat of a rivalry game and I think USM will play a little bit better than expected, but we should be OK. Dan was smart to schedule them first rather than for HC like Bellard did. I think the first game of the year high will help us even out their emotion. South Alabama could be a potential trap game. I saw where Phil Steele had them in a bowl, but again we should be fine. UAB is probably our easiest game against a D-I team, and if we lose to UT-Martin, I'll jump all aboard the Hud train unless we just turn it around. I think Favre will make some plays at times and may redeem himself somewhat, but we just have too much.

SEC East- We should beat UK and Vandy. I expect the UK game to be like your typical MSU/UK game- like a 28-35 to 14-21 type of game. We play Vandy on senior day and I think they may have made a questionable hire at HC and I think they could be pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we blow them out.

SEC West- We should be able to beat Arkansas and we should be able to beat Texas A&M. That said, Texas A&M won't be easy. I wouldn't be surprised if they are better than a lot of people think they will be and I won't argue anyone that thinks it's a toss up. I think it could be like the Tennessee game in 2012 where we won something like 41-30. Their offense is still going to be pretty good and Sumlin is a good coach.

Auburn, LSU, and Alabama are the key games along with the A&M game and Egg Bowl. How we do in those games will determine our season. IMO, I still think we should beat A&M. I'm not changing my stance on that. But Auburn, Alabama, and LSU we could lose all three of those games and I wouldn't be upset at Dan. Unless he pulls off an LSU 2009 at the end of the game in which case, I will vent on Elitedawgs. That said, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with any of those teams and possibly pull off an upset. At worst, we should be respectable and give those three very physical and demanding games where they are glad that they don't have to play us again. I would say Auburn is the most likely win just because it's at home, but we have been snakebit against them lately.

The Egg Bowl is a rivalry game and that's why I am separating it out. Rivalry games are different animals. We could be 11-0 and they could be 0-11 and it's going to be a tough game for us. The fact that we won last year has left a wound that they are going to want to try to heal and it will be in Oxford which is an advantage for them. But ultimately, I think it's going to come down to two things: 1. Is Dak healthy? 2. Is Ole Miss having a bad season? If we're healthy and have Dak, I like our chances better than most years. In recent Egg Bowl history, when the road team has won, the other team has been really bad- see the 2003 Egg Bowl and the 2010 Egg Bowl. If Ole Miss is having a rough season and we're having a good season, that's going to come into play at some point once the emotion wears off. If both teams are having a similar season, then homefield seems to tip the scales IMO.

The last two times we won in Oxford- 1998 when Romaro Miller got knocked out during the Ole Miss/Georgia game and they had to start a walk-on coupled with Tuberville to Auburn rumors and then in 2010 when we beat an Ole Miss team that lost to Jacksonville State.

LiterallyPolice
07-31-2014, 12:35 AM
I've got high expectations for this season.... But when I read these threads, I can't help being reminded of yet another relevant Shawshank quote:

Red: "I don't think you ought to be doing this to yourself, Andy. This is just shitty pipedreams. I mean, Mexico is way the hell down there and you're in here, and that's the way it is."

ETA: 300th post. Woot!

Dawg61
07-31-2014, 12:51 AM
Here is exactly why I don't allow myself to get sucked into this thinking this early. What if Dak is not the QB in one or more of the SEC games this year? We quickly fall from a 10 win expected team to an average football team if that happens I fear. 11 win seasons that are reliant on the starting QB staying healthy the entire year are like a no-hitter jinx. You don't talk about it till the season is done. You don't go hyping 11 win seasons before the first snap. You voodoo curse your team and QB when you do. This is a proven science guys. Don't fu@k with science. Preacher you would be wise to temper your shit down brother. You are upsetting the gods and indians.

Todd4State
07-31-2014, 01:26 AM
I've got high expectations for this season.... But when I read these threads, I can't help being reminded of yet another relevant Shawshank quote:

Red: "I don't think you ought to be doing this to yourself, Andy. This is just shitty pipedreams. I mean, Mexico is way the hell down there and you're in here, and that's the way it is."

ETA: 300th post. Woot!

Yeah- but didn't Andy make it to Mexico at the end of the movie?

Todd4State
07-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Here is exactly why I don't allow myself to get sucked into this thinking this early. What if Dak is not the QB in one or more of the SEC games this year? We quickly fall from a 10 win expected team to an average football team if that happens I fear. 11 win seasons that are reliant on the starting QB staying healthy the entire year are like a no-hitter jinx. You don't talk about it till the season is done. You don't go hyping 11 win seasons before the first snap. You voodoo curse your team and QB when you do. This is a proven science guys. Don't fu@k with science. Preacher you would be wise to temper your shit down brother. You are upsetting the gods and indians.

Injuries are my biggest fear. We can't control those. In 1992, we probably win 10 games if we have Sleepy. But he got hurt, and we won 7.

If healthy, we're about as good as anyone out there.

I do think it helps that Dan realized after the Auburn game that Dak isn't Tebow where they could run him 25 times and he would be OK. Having a better running game is going to help Dak so much too. I imagine that there were times when he was running the option where he didn't pitch it to Perkins because he knew he had a better chance of getting the first down than Perkins. With Robinson, he'll probably be a little more inclined to pitch it. Not to mention I anticipate Robinson getting us into better down and distance situations which should make us more unpredictable and help protect the QB.

ShotgunDawg
07-31-2014, 02:16 AM
My goodness fellas, anyone can have injuries and all teams are equally exposed to the possibility. What if Alabama has an injury at QB? What if Marshall goes down after running for a first down?

If Mother Teresa had nuts, she'd be a woman. An injury at the QB position kills most every team.

Bubb Rubb
07-31-2014, 08:00 AM
If Mother Teresa had nuts, she'd be a woman. An injury at the QB position kills most every team.

I'm no doctor or anything, but I think that would make her a man.

dickiedawg
07-31-2014, 08:18 AM
Forget tempered expectations. I'm ALL IN.

FISHDAWG
07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
I swear we will beat Auburn

BiscuitEater
07-31-2014, 08:56 AM
We should win USM, South Alabama, UT-Favre, and UAB. USM will be somewhat of a rivalry game and I think USM will play a little bit better than expected, but we should be OK. Dan was smart to schedule them first rather than for HC like Bellard did. I think the first game of the year high will help us even out their emotion.

a 'should win.' Emory's BEST team at State; the 1980 team that beat #1 Bama, #18 Miami (@Miami against Jim Kelly), Auburn, LSU (by 24 points) and OM ... got absolutley blown away 42-14 in Starkville.

This is the Beagle's MOST important game in years. They 'irrationally' blame OM and State for their football relapse ('cause we were too afraid to play them) Totally discount them 'cause they have only won 1 game in the last two years would be a SERIOUS mistake.

We need to score early and often; put them away; don't let up; USMs best players are their WRs; their QB has a good arm but their OL was horrible last year; we must get pressure from the D.

1980 (9-3, 5-1 SEC)
1-1 H ? 4-1 A ? 4-1 N Emory Bellard

9/6 at Memphis 34-7 W
9/13 LOUISIANA TECH 31-11 W
9/20 * at Vanderbilt 24-14 W
9/27 * at Florida 15-21 L
10/4 at Illinois 28-21 W
10/11 SOUTHERN MISS (HC) 14-42 L
10/18 at Miami [Fla.] (NR-#18) 34-31 W
10/25 * Auburn (@ Jackson) 24-21 W
11/1 * Alabama (@ Jackson) (NR-#1) 6-3 W
11/15 * LSU (@ Jackson) (#19-NR) 55-31 W
11/22 * Ole Miss (@ Jackson) (#17-NR) 19-14 W
SUN BOWL (@ EL PASO, TEXAS)
12/27 Nebraska (#17-#8) 17-31 L

MS_half-step
07-31-2014, 09:07 AM
You guys are crazy and are only setting yourselves up for disappointment and broken remote controllers. 7-8 wins, mark it down.

Chinchilla
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM

USM
UAB
USA
UTM
Kentucky
aTm
Vandy
Arky
OM

LSU
Bama
Auburn

Here's the problem. You don't get to decide whether we're favorites or not. That is set by some combination of the sharps in Vegas and the betting public. Fortunately, we don't have to guess about the Ole Miss game. There are early lines available. We are the clear underdog. I believe I've seen 8.5 or 9. I would look it up, but gambling sites are blocked.

If you're going to break down our schedule by games in which we're favored and games in which we're the underdog, Ole Miss must be included in the latter group. It's just a fact, not opinion.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Here's the problem. You don't get to decide whether we're favorites or not. That is set by some combination of the sharps in Vegas and the betting public. Fortunately, we don't have to guess about the Ole Miss game. There are early lines available. We are the clear underdog. I believe I've seen 8.5 or 9. I would look it up, but gambling sites are blocked.

If you're going to break down our schedule by games in which we're favored and games in which we're the underdog, Ole Miss must be included in the latter group. It's just a fact, not opinion.

Of course, the odds will change as the season goes on. If we come into the Egg Bowl sporting 1 or fewer losses than them, we may well be favored.

Chinchilla
07-31-2014, 11:01 AM
Of course, the odds will change as the season goes on. If we come into the Egg Bowl sporting 1 or fewer losses than them, we may well be favored.

Of course they will. However, as of today, we are underdogs in that game. We have 8 games in which we are favored, and 4 in which we are not. It's not the 9-3 split that was presented by the OP.

Also, if we only have one fewer loss going into that game, they will absolutely be favored at home, barring fairly extreme extenuating circumstances.

TrapGame
07-31-2014, 11:12 AM
If we win only 7 games that's a HUGE disappointment and will reignite the fire Mullen crowd again!

IMO, we are way too talented this year to go 7-5. I see 9-3 as a very good possibility.

drunkernhelldawg
07-31-2014, 11:17 AM

Maybe I should worry more about that, but I like the heck out of D. Williams.

preachermatt83
07-31-2014, 12:39 PM

Awesome 3rd post***

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130120130349/clubpenguin/images/6/6e/Super-troll.gif

Bubb Rubb
07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
a 'should win.' Emory's BEST team at State; the 1980 team that beat #1 Bama, #18 Miami (@Miami against Jim Kelly), Auburn, LSU (by 24 points) and OM ... got absolutley blown away 42-14 in Starkville.

This is the Beagle's MOST important game in years. They 'irrationally' blame OM and State for their football relapse ('cause we were too afraid to play them) Totally discount them 'cause they have only won 1 game in the last two years would be a SERIOUS mistake.

We need to score early and often; put them away; don't let up; USMs best players are their WRs; their QB has a good arm but their OL was horrible last year; we must get pressure from the D.

1980 (9-3, 5-1 SEC)

9/6 at Memphis 34-7 W
10/4 at Illinois 28-21 W

Relax. It's not 1980 anymore. If we don't beat Southern by 30 points, it will be an upset. South Alabama will be a tougher game.

Bubb Rubb
07-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Of course they will. However, as of today, we are underdogs in that game. We have 8 games in which we are favored, and 4 in which we are not. It's not the 9-3 split that was presented by the OP.

Also, if we only have one fewer loss going into that game, they will absolutely be favored at home, barring fairly extreme extenuating circumstances.

I don't care what early lines say. Those are about as reliable as going to the corner grocery and picking lottery numbers. The week before the egg bowl, the line will be a pickem AT BEST, and that would only be because of the home field advantage. Let's revisit this in November, when Vegas will actually have a portion of the season to base their lines on.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
If we win only 7 games that's a HUGE disappointment and will reignite the fire Mullen crowd again!

IMO, we are way too talented this year to go 7-5. I see 9-3 as a very good possibility.

With our schedule, barring catastrophic injuries, 7 wins should equal, "Don't pass go, don't collect $200, go directly to jail!" 8 games should be a huge disappointment, 9 the minimum to ward off most justified grumbling, and 10 to feel pretty good.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2014, 01:09 PM
With our schedule, barring catastrophic injuries, 7 wins should equal, "Don't pass go, don't collect $200, go directly to jail!" 8 games should be a huge disappointment, 9 the minimum to ward off most justified grumbling, and 10 to feel pretty good.

Can I have your houses and hotels?*

I think 9-10 is too high to "expect", but a good number to hope for. 8 games is where I would feel comfortable saying I "expect" to win. 9 with a bowl game

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 01:38 PM

I think 9-10 is too high to "expect", but a good number to hope for. 8 games is where I would feel comfortable saying I "expect" to win. 9 with a bowl game

Should win:
USM
UAB
South Bama
UT-Martin
UK
Vandy
TAMU
Arky

That's 8 we should absolutely win.

If we don't win at least 1 of the following or 2 if we lose one of the above, I'll be extremely disappointed:
Auburn
LSU
OM
Bama

In my mind, we should be able to beat Auburn at home and OM on the road. We should have beaten Auburn the past 4 times we played them, and I like our matchup better this year than any of the previous 4. I truly believe we are going to be better than OM on both sides of the ball. Even though it is their home game, they would have to play so much better than they did versus us in Starkville that I don't think home-field advantage can make up that much gap, especially when you consider what I think will be a major improvement by us on both sides of the ball.

LSU has lost so many starters over the past 2 years, and needed an other-worldly performance from Mett & their NFL WRs last year, to go along with the injuries we suffered to pull away from us late last year. I think our improvements and their losses make the difference in a game that was closer-than-it-looked last year.

Bama is going to Bama, but they, too have to go with a new QB. Even with a fully-loaded, experienced team last year, we played them tough. I think the gap closes a bit this year, but winning in T-town is especially hard.

Given all this, barring injury-bug, I just don't see why it's unreasonable to feel really good about taking at least 2 of the 4, to go along with at least 7 of the first 8.

The Croom Diaries
07-31-2014, 01:44 PM

I agree.

My objective expectations considering Mullen has only beat one team with at least 3 SEC wins in a season over the last 3 years, and 0 teams with at least 4 wins is for us to win 8 games.

As a fan who would like to see us win a big game, I expect us to win nine games (regular season). And I'd include Ole Miss in that big win category because I think they will probably have 8 wins heading into the Egg Bowl and it is on the road (so two 8-3 teams is my early prediction).

If we go 9-3 with a chance for 10 wins in a bowl game that would be a spectacular season.

If we go 10-2 with a chance for 11 wins in a bowl game that would be an extraordinary season far surpassing anything Mullen has done. And it would also be the FIRST time in MSU history we'd won 10 games in the regular season.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Ok, 8 win folks. What are the 4 regular season losses we would need to suffer that you think are acceptable and still call it a "good season"? And please provide an explanation why each of those 4 losses would be acceptable this year.

The Croom Diaries
07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Ok, 8 win folks. What are the 4 regular season losses we would need to suffer that you think are acceptable and still call it a "good season"? And please provide an explanation why each of those 4 losses would be acceptable this year.

It's not a matter of accepting mediocrity, it's calling it like you see it.

defiantdog
07-31-2014, 02:06 PM
I think we need to look when we're actually playing these teams as well....

Southern Miss - win
UAB - win
South Alabama - win
LSU - 50/50 (Away game but it's the 4th game of the season. LSU will have new receivers, new RB's, a new QB, a new DL, and the secondary has shifted a lot. This is good to get them early in the season this year.)
Texas A&M - win (mainly because it is at home and they are replacing a lot of talent with young inexperienced players.... also early in the season.)
Auburn - 50/50 (It's a home game.... so that's in our favor. But Auburn isn't really replacing anyone.... they're reloading. We always play them close, so I don't expect anything different. Should be a good game.)
Kentucky - win
Arkansas - win
UT-Martin - win
Alabama - loss (It'll be late in the season, at Alabama, and it's nearly impossible to win in Tuscaloosa unless we play out of our asses.)
Vanderbilt - win
Ole Miss - 50/50 (It's a rivalry.... we should win but you never know with this damn game.)

So that's 8 games we SHOULD win, 3 toss ups, and 1 projected loss.

8 wins is expected, 9 wins is a good season, 10 wins is what we are all projecting, and 11 wins would be a pure DakAttack!

BulldogBear
07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
I think we need to look when we're actually playing these teams as well....

Southern Miss - win
UAB - win
South Alabama - win
LSU - 50/50 (Away game but it's the 4th game of the season. LSU will have new receivers, new RB's, a new QB, a new DL, and the secondary has shifted a lot. This is good to get them early in the season this year.)
Texas A&M - win (mainly because it is at home and they are replacing a lot of talent with young inexperienced players.... also early in the season.)
Auburn - 50/50 (It's a home game.... so that's in our favor. But Auburn isn't really replacing anyone.... they're reloading. We always play them close, so I don't expect anything different. Should be a good game.)
Kentucky - win
Arkansas - win
UT-Martin - win
Alabama - loss (It'll be late in the season, at Alabama, and it's nearly impossible to win in Tuscaloosa unless we play out of our asses.)
Vanderbilt - win
Ole Miss - 50/50 (It's a rivalry.... we should win but you never know with this damn game.)

So that's 8 games we SHOULD win, 3 toss ups, and 1 projected loss.

8 wins is expected, 9 wins is a good season, 10 wins is what we are all projecting, and 11 wins would be a pure DakAttack!

Basically this^

But I would actually put Auburn as 75/25 in our favor, Ole Miss 60/40 in our favor and LSU 40/60 in their favor.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Bama
Ole Miss

These are all games the are not "should win" games to anybody not wearing maroon goggles. Do I think we CAN win some of them? Yes. But you can't just assume A&M will suck. Who saw Manziel coming before he kicked ours and everyone else's asses?

And the Egg Bowl is always tough on the road...especially when OM could be pretty good.

And we all know our history with Auburn, LSU, Bama. There are no expected or guaranteed victories in that group.

So by me saying I "expect" 8 wins, I'm already saying we win 1 of these toss ups. Saying we absolutely "should win" 2 of those isn't realistic to me, but I definitely think we Could. We "could" win all 5, I'm just not ready to throw expectations of beating 2 of those 5 out there

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 02:34 PM
It's not a matter of accepting mediocrity, it's calling it like you see it.

Who said anything about "accepting mediocrity"? I am sincerely interested in your opinion and reasoning as stated.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 02:43 PM
Texas A&M
Auburn
LSU
Bama
Ole Miss

These are all games the are not "should win" games to anybody not wearing maroon goggles. Do I think we CAN win some of them? Yes. But you can't just assume A&M will suck. Who saw Manziel coming before he kicked ours and everyone else's asses?

And the Egg Bowl is always tough on the road...especially when OM could be pretty good.

And we all know our history with Auburn, LSU, Bama. There are no expected or guaranteed victories in that group.

So by me saying I "expect" 8 wins, I'm already saying we win 1 of these toss ups. Saying we absolutely "should win" 2 of those isn't realistic to me, but I definitely think we Could. We "could" win all 5, I'm just not ready to throw expectations of beating 2 of those 5 out there

I appreciate your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. But I do want to clarify, when I say, "should win", I don't mean "guaranteed". Those are games that, if I had to bet straight up that we'd win or lose, I'd bet we'd win, and not for homer reasons, but because I think we will be the better squad. Recognizing teams don't always win games they "should", I expect us to win another of the "could win" game to offset that. Just figuring a "shouldn't lose" is just as likely to get cancelled out by a, "shouldn't win" or a "50-50", etc.

preachermatt83
07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
THis is hands down the most talented team mullen has had here. Next year will be a step down. So IF you guys are figuring on 8 wins then you are saying that is the BEST Mullen can do. If that's the case get rid of him now. If we are going to be a 6-6 team with an occasional 8 win season I will not be satisfied with that. That is what you 8 win guys are saying. We should EXPECT 8-4 seasons with the occasional 7-5 and occasional 10-2.. Those are reasonable expectations. If we can't win 10 this year with Mullen, we NEVER will... Oh Good Lord we better do better than 8 wins. If we don't yal will ban me forever cause I will be screaming to have Mullen fired.

TrapGame
07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
THis is hands down the most talented team mullen has had here. Next year will be a step down. So IF you guys are figuring on 8 wins then you are saying that is the BEST Mullen can do. If that's the case get rid of him now. If we are going to be a 6-6 team with an occasional 8 win season I will not be satisfied with that. That is what you 8 win guys are saying. We should EXPECT 8-4 seasons with the occasional 7-5 and occasional 10-2.. Those are reasonable expectations. If we can't win 10 this year with Mullen, we NEVER will... Oh Good Lord we better do better than 8 wins. If we don't yal will ban me forever cause I will be screaming to have Mullen fired.

This ^^^^

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Yep. near as I can figure, the folks saying, "8 wins is good" must be figuring on us losing 4 of the following 5:
TAMU
LSU
Auburn
OM
Bama

If we lose 4 of those 5 this year, I'll be supremely pissed, and right there with Preach thinking that we'll never get it done under Mullen. We have too many things in our favor this year to be fine with losing 4 of those 5, IMO.

The Croom Diaries
07-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Who said anything about "accepting mediocrity"? I am sincerely interested in your opinion and reasoning as stated.

My reasoning in detail is here: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/29/mississippi-state-get-9-wins-will/

The Croom Diaries
07-31-2014, 06:14 PM

At least as far as Im concerned, my expectation of wins has everything to do with Mullen and nothing to do with MSU.

Just like everyone I hope Dak is the difference that takes us to another level, but until Mullen proves he is a legit SEC coach Im not going to EXPECT any more than the minimum...which is exactly what he's done so far.

If we hadn't been so lucky as to face five 0-8 teams and one 1-7 team over the last 3 years Mullen would've been fired by now. But we have and I support his being here for a sixth year, but I'm not going to suggest in the preseason Mullen is going to do things multiple times that he has never done before.

blacklistedbully
07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
At least as far as Im concerned, my expectation of wins has everything to do with Mullen and nothing to do with MSU.

Just like everyone I hope Dak is the difference that takes us to another level, but until Mullen proves he is a legit SEC coach Im not going to EXPECT any more than the minimum...which is exactly what he's done so far.

If we hadn't been so lucky as to face five 0-8 teams and one 1-7 team over the last 3 years Mullen would've been fired by now. But we have and I support his being here for a sixth year, but I'm not going to suggest in the preseason Mullen is going to do things multiple times that he has never done before.

One problem I have with your position is the fact that we were more or less robbed of a couple of wins versus Auburn, and probably should have won another (The Cam Newton game). Had we the players then that we have this year, I think those games wouldn't have been close enough to let shitty refereeing make the difference. Last year AU finished #2, so, though they would not have finished that high had we won, we were, in fact, capable and should have beaten them last year. Granted, Mullen really screwed the pooch by going conservative too soon, but surely he has learned from that mistake. In 2010, we lost to NC Auburn primarily because Leon Berry dropped a pass that was delivered right into his hands. That's 2 wins vs ranked and winning SEC teams we could have had easily.

Looking at LSU, Mullen had us in position to win versus eventual #17 LSU, but Tyson Lee decides to keep instead of hand off to AD, AND EVEN THEN would have won the game had he just reached the ball over the goal-line instead of trying to bull his way in. I won't even mention LSU in 2012 despite the pick-6 that turned that game at the end, as we still would have been down 6 and needing a stop of LSU to win.

So, that's 3 wins versus ranked SEC teams with winning records Mullen had us in a position to win. And I'm not getting into how much we out-played SCar last year, but had the game go south on Dak as he clearly struggled with focus given his mother's condition. Dak had half his t/o's for the year in that one game, very uncharacteristic. Even Spurrier said post-game that we out-played them, but t/o's were the story.

So, it's easy to see that we likely should have had 3 more wins versus top SEC teams (which of course means 3 fewer losses as well). Dan's growth as a coach, along with our believed overall improvement on D & O should make the difference this year.

I think your article is too "black & white" and ignores some significant "grays" that, while they don't count as moral victories, should be considered when making predictions going forward, or determining reasonable expectations.

BiscuitEater
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM

Comments ...

Yes, he has faced five 0-8 teams BUT he was has also been 'unlucky' to have also played 4 of the last five national champions + last year's #2 (and came damn close to winning that one) He competes in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country with the absolute smallest budget in the SEC.

He may put the BEST team in MSU history on the field in four weeks and still be ranked as the #4 or #5 team in the division.

Mullen has lost some heartbreakers (LSU in year one, Auburn last year) BUT in five years he has only lost one or two when his team was favored.

No other coach in State history has been to four bowls in a row and he holds the MSU record for bowl wins. He is building a winner. And, I'm getting really tired of seeing the word 'fired' in any shape, form or context associated with our coach.

Todd4State
08-01-2014, 01:58 AM

1980 (9-3, 5-1 SEC)

9/6 at Memphis 34-7 W
10/4 at Illinois 28-21 W

I expect this mindset from some MSU fans to change after this year. USM was relevant in 1980. Much like Ole Miss was relevant in 1969.

Let's not forget that Felker beat Favre TWICE with very average (being nice) MSU teams.

The Croom Diaries
08-01-2014, 07:09 AM
No other coach in State history has been to four bowls in a row and he holds the MSU record for bowl wins. He is building a winner. And, I'm getting really tired of seeing the word 'fired' in any shape, form or context associated with our coach.

That sounds really pretty. Good thing we aren't playing with a 10 or 11 game schedule like the rest of MSU history or he would've only been to two bowl games...maybe. As we all know the 1997 MSU team and 2001 Ole Miss teams were denied bowls with a 7-4 record. But we'll count all four for a record, and beating a 6-7 Wake Forest team and Rice to get to that 3 bowl wins.

I hope Mullen can do it, I just have my doubts. I've "believed" he could do it for 5 years and I haven't seen enough evidence that he can. So I'm done with that - he'll have to prove it to me. Everyone else is free to have their own opinion as I have mine.

engie
08-01-2014, 07:24 AM
That sounds really pretty. Good thing we aren't playing with a 10 or 11 game schedule like the rest of MSU history or he would've only been to two bowl games...maybe. As we all know the 1997 MSU team and 2001 Ole Miss teams were denied bowls with a 7-4 record. But we'll count all four for a record, and beating a 6-7 Wake Forest team and Rice to get to that 3 bowl wins.

I hope Mullen can do it, I just have my doubts. I've "believed" he could do it for 5 years and I haven't seen enough evidence that he can. So I'm done with that - he'll have to prove it to me. Everyone else is free to have their own opinion as I have mine.

I'm with you in your Mullen approach. But did he not just do it in the final game last year? He won as an underdog for the first time since UF 2010.

What is making this team different for me is Dak. He's just got something that Relf and Russell never did, both talent-wise and intangibly. If we're being honest with ourselves, this is the first time we've ever had the horses under Mullen. First time we've had the receivers to be multi-dimensional against anyone. First time we've been able to stretch the field deep. First time we've had this amount of depth on defense. Let's not forget all the times we hung around against elite LSU and Bama squads only to fade late. I don't know if that happens anymore...

That said, I still think it's foolish to start EXPECTING 9-10 wins... So, I'm with Cadaver on this...
2 "should" lose -- @Bama and @LSU
3 toss ups -- Aub, aTm, and @OM

8-4 is my "expectation". Chalk, if you will. Anything less would...well...not be good.
9-3 or better and I'm securely back on the Mullen bandwagon. And we'd have a chance to probably be the highest-ranked team in MS in almost 45 years with a good bowl win...

The Croom Diaries
08-01-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm with you in your Mullen approach. But did he not just do it in the final game last year? He won as an underdog for the first time since UF 2010.

What is making this team different for me is Dak. He's just got something that Relf and Russell never did, both talent-wise and intangibly. If we're being honest with ourselves, this is the first time we've ever had the horses under Mullen. First time we've had the receivers to be multi-dimensional against anyone. First time we've been able to stretch the field deep. First time we've had this amount of depth on defense. Let's not forget all the times we hung around against elite LSU and Bama squads only to fade late. I don't know if that happens anymore...

That said, I still think it's foolish to start EXPECTING 9-10 wins... So, I'm with Cadaver on this...
2 "should" lose -- @Bama and @LSU
3 toss ups -- Aub, aTm, and @OM

8-4 is my "expectation". Chalk, if you will. Anything less would...well...not be good.
9-3 or better and I'm securely back on the Mullen bandwagon. And we'd have a chance to probably be the highest-ranked team in MS in almost 45 years with a good bowl win...

I agree with all of that.

In my opinion, an SEC level coach (best conference in America, highest paid coaches) should be able to take the talent they have and get something extra out of them.

For me, that jury is still out on Mullen. I'm with you on everything you said. And in my opinion duplicating last year's Ole Miss type win (underdog, win over good team, etc.) is equivalent to 8 wins this year. So my expectation is 8 wins.

We don't have the best players in the SEC, but our players are good enough that with excellent coaching they could find their way to 9-10 wins. I'm just not sure Mullen and staff provide "excellent" coaching. They are really good coaches - but most in the SEC are "excellent" coaches, so if you're going to beat them you have to be at least as good as them.

Until further notice, Mullen is a chalk coach. He's been that way for five years with the exception of a couple of games he was a legit underdog (2009 Egg, 2010 UF) and one he was a legit favorite (2011 Auburn).

fishwater99
08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
We will most likely have to beat a Top 20 team to win 9 games.

The Croom Diaries
08-01-2014, 08:47 AM
We will most likely have to beat a Top 20 team to win 9 games.

I agree, and that is essentially my stance on it. Mullen has yet to do that, so I'm not going to believe he can do it until I see it done.

BulldogBear
08-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Yep. near as I can figure, the folks saying, "8 wins is good" must be figuring on us losing 4 of the following 5:
TAMU
LSU
Auburn
OM
Bama

If we lose 4 of those 5 this year, I'll be supremely pissed, and right there with Preach thinking that we'll never get it done under Mullen. We have too many things in our favor this year to be fine with losing 4 of those 5, IMO.

I am not an 8 win guy but I'll comment anyway. I'm a 9 win guy, 10 win if we stay healthy. We will beat A&M, so if if we're 8 you're right we'd have to lose the other four and I just don't think we're bad enough, so to speak, to lose all 4 of them. And I believe in Christ not dead indians (though I am not "invoking" Him. I don't ever pray about sporting events because I just can't see how it matters to God unless for His own higher reasons where it leads to something He wants to happen. I am not afraid of dead indians). So, I think we're looking at 9-3 as long as we don't drop one of the other games. We've done that sort of stuff in the past so it wouldn't shock me. But with this team this year it also wouldn't shock me if we won 3 of those 4 even if we did drop another one. We'd still be 10-2 with losses to say Alabama and an upset by KY on the road. Right now, I'd take that in a hearbeat.

That's my way of kind of agreeing with Cadaver but saying I'd still be culling A&M from the list in his post. We know all about J17F, but I think he was more like when you go to church and wear a jacket you haven't worn in a while, discovering a $20 bill in the pocket. It's awesome but not gonna happen every Sunday. They're offense may be decent, but I just don't think decisive. Lack of D is what will keep them home for the holidays this year. It is possible they may not win an SEC game though I think they'll finish 5-7 (1-7 or maybe 2-6 in SEC play, 50/50 on Red Raiders in OOC play). Let me put it this way. I just have trouble seeing TAMU put up the 40+ points on our D that it's going to take for them to beat us in Starkpatch this year.