PDA

View Full Version : Rivals thread, "Bo Pelini suggests foul play by Ole Miss"

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to share what I think is a common misperception by some of our SEC brethren. Someone had suggested that OM was "cyclically good", so another poster asked, "How cyclically good are we talking, every 3-5 years or every 30-50 years? I can't remember the last time they were a very good program." This contains the following post by a Bama fan and my reply:

Originally posted by BlkSabbath74:

In 2008 they went 9-4 and were third in the SEC, beating the tar out of Big 12 South Co-Champ Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl during one of that schools best seasons. In 2009 they started the season ranked #3, ended 9-4 by blowing out a pretty good Oklahoma State squad in the Cotton Bowl.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't contending for National Championships, and, being in the SEC West, a good year for them is contending for the West Championship and getting more than 8 wins.

About a third of the time, Ole Miss makes a top 15 or so finish, around the top of the SEC, and can reasonably be expected to beat out most non-elite teams.

About a third of the time they are an average SEC team, with gifted talent but not much depth, and still make and win a bowl game of some sort.

About a third of the time, they suck.

I'm not making any pretensions to Elite status for Ole Miss, just saying that although they have a reputation as a bottom feeder in the SEC, they periodically field some very good teams.

My reply:
Whoa, talk about being way off the mark! OM has finished in the Top 15 seventeen times in 119 years, and just twice in the last 41 (that's about a 20th of the time, not a third). Of those 17 times, 15 of them were under Coach John Vaught, who retired in 1973.

In 2008 they beat Texas Tech 47-34 in a game that was so badly played by both teams that even Ole Miss fans were embarrassed despite winning. Hardly a, "beating the tar out of them" win. That TT team was pretty good, yet still got hammered 2 games prior by Oklahoma 65-21. As I recall, many TT & B12 fans were saying at the time that TT just couldn't get up for OM when they'd been in the NC discussion until the next-to-last regular season game. Kinda the same thing many Bama fans said about playing Utah in 2009.

In 2009 they beat Ok State 21-7. If you consider that a "blowout", then what do you call that same team's 41-14 home loss to Texas, or the 27-0 loss to Oklahoma the game before they played OM? How about the 45-35 loss at home to CUSA Houston? (That same Houston team lost to UTEP, UCF, East Carolina & Air Force).

If winning "8 games is considered a good year" for them, then they have had 10 of those good years in the past 40. Even my alma-mater, MSU has had 11 of those in that time, with 2 in the past 4 years.

I'm not sure how you define, "suck", but Ole Miss has finished with a losing record 50% of the time since Vaught retired nearly 40 years ago. Granted, MSU has had an equally dismal record over that same period, but nobody here is trying to pass us off as something we haven't been, as you appear to be doing for Ole Miss.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Just wanted to share what I think is a common misperception by some of our SEC brethren. Someone had suggested that OM was "cyclically good", so another poster asked, "How cyclically good are we talking, every 3-5 years or every 30-50 years? I can't remember the last time they were a very good program." This contains the following post by a Bama fan and my reply:

Originally posted by BlkSabbath74:

In 2008 they went 9-4 and were third in the SEC, beating the tar out of Big 12 South Co-Champ Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl during one of that schools best seasons. In 2009 they started the season ranked #3, ended 9-4 by blowing out a pretty good Oklahoma State squad in the Cotton Bowl.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't contending for National Championships, and, being in the SEC West, a good year for them is contending for the West Championship and getting more than 8 wins.

About a third of the time, Ole Miss makes a top 15 or so finish, around the top of the SEC, and can reasonably be expected to beat out most non-elite teams.

About a third of the time they are an average SEC team, with gifted talent but not much depth, and still make and win a bowl game of some sort.

About a third of the time, they suck.

I'm not making any pretensions to Elite status for Ole Miss, just saying that although they have a reputation as a bottom feeder in the SEC, they periodically field some very good teams.
Whoa, talk about being way off the mark!

My reply:

OM has finished in the Top 15 seventeen times in 119 years, and just twice in the last 41 (that's about a 20th of the time, not a third). Of those 17 times, 15 of them were under Coach John Vaught, who retired in 1973.

In 2008 they beat Texas Tech 47-34 in a game that was so badly played by both teams that even Ole Miss fans were embarrassed despite winning. Hardly a, "beating the tar out of them" win. That TT team was pretty good, yet still got hammered 2 games prior by Oklahoma 65-21. As I recall, many TT & B12 fans were saying at the time that TT just couldn't get up for OM when they'd been in the NC discussion until the next-to-last regular season game. Kinda the same thing many Bama fans said about playing Utah in 2009.

In 2009 they beat Ok State 21-7. If you consider that a "blowout", then what do you call that same team's 41-14 home loss to Texas, or the 27-0 loss to Oklahoma the game before they played OM? How about the 45-35 loss at home to CUSA Houston? (That same Houston team lost to UTEP, UCF, East Carolina & Air Force).

If winning "8 games is considered a good year" for them, then they have had 10 of those good years in the past 40. Even my alma-mater, MSU has had 11 of those in that time, with 2 in the past 4 years.

I'm not sure how you define, "suck", but Ole Miss has finished with a losing record 50% of the time since Vaught retired nearly 40 years ago. Granted, MSU has had an equally dismal record over that same period, but nobody here is trying to pass us off as something we haven't been, as you appear to be doing for Ole Miss.

Good response.

I really don't get how Ole Miss has a perception of doing things they haven't done. It may be one of the strangest things in college sports.

DawgHouseUnited
07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Good response.

I really don't get how Ole Miss has a perception of doing things they haven't done. It may be one of the strangest things in college sports.

Show over substance. Winning the press conference.

BeardoMSU
07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Good response.

Because they were good at one time, but that "good" was ages ago when a large portion of the population couldn't participate in the sport (All those wins under Vaught should have asterics by them). Since then, they've been about as successful as us.

DudyDawg
07-30-2014, 03:55 PM
I must not be a good sports fan. I had no idea that the University of Mississippi finished in the top 15 of the college football polls every 3 seasons. I need to watch more football......

LC Dawg
07-30-2014, 04:03 PM
This is kind of surprising coming from a Bama fan since I think the Bears have only beat Bama 9 times in their history. I was trying to come up with which team that guy's description most described and without going back and checking records it pretty much described Auburn to me. Maybe the guy gets Ole Miss and Auburn confused since they both employ the pay-to-play method.

State82
07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Maybe the guy gets Ole Miss and Auburn confused since they both employ the pay-to-play method.

Nice

Todd4State
07-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Good response.

I think some of it (maybe a lot of it) has to do with the Mannings.

Political Hack
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
that initial post is proof that they actually really believe they're a good football program.