PDA

View Full Version : 20 Schools Will Face NCAA Allegations

BeastMan
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
http://3rdand57.com/20-schools-will-face-ncaa-allegations/

I saw the article that cadaver posted and weighed in

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Adams was the Prez at UGA when Ole Miss got Tunsil, right?

I think it's fairly certain that Ole Miss will be involved in this, but I hope we aren't either.

PassInterference
07-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I totally forgot that the NCAA hired away a guy from UGA and that there were indications in 2013 that the NCAA was beefing up, not shrinking, enforcement.

We also know that Ole Miss is dodging FOIA laws requesting information on NCAA violations. We also virtually had Ole Miss talking about and investigation that was being conducted.

I don't know if the NCAA is going to hammer Ole Miss or not, but I fully expect they'll have something levied against them sooner than later.

BeastMan
07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes but to be 100% fair, Adams had been an NCAA heavyweight for some time. He was named the head of the Executive Committee in 2007. He didn't identify this job & take it to burn OM. Adams is a UGA homer and he could be pissed over Tunsil but there are 20 schools involved. This will be widespread

thf24
07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I think something will happen to Ole Miss because, despite the fact that Slive protects his teams, he needs someone to make an example out of someone in the face of mounting scrutiny of the SEC and recruiting. He'll let the NCAA stick them with something, although it probably won't be as much as they deserve.

BeastMan
07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
My main point of going back and referencing Adams is the attitude he brings. I listed 2 articles w/links to read in my piece. He says "some schools need to step it up". He's pretty clear about wanting to clean things up. Lloyd Carr is one the infractions committee too. Being a big 10 guy, I'm sure he doesn't care for all the sec stuff.

maroonmania
07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
I think something will happen to Ole Miss because, despite the fact that Slive protects his teams, he needs someone to make an example out of in the face of mounting scrutiny of the SEC and recruiting. He'll let the NCAA stick them with something, although it probably won't be as much as they deserve.

I'll be totally shocked if OM gets anything. They don't just bend over and take it like we do. They will be fully lawyered up and will seal up any info leaks.

BeastMan
07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
I'll be totally shocked if OM gets anything. They don't just bend over and take it like we do. They will be fully lawyered up and will seal up any info leaks.

I don't think anyone gets anything. The last 2 sentences if my article sums up my thoughts

Bully13
07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
too bad we can't track the bank accounts of the NCAA investigators.

Political Hack
07-30-2014, 01:06 PM
politics. NCAA is trying so hard to be important and the only way that ever happens is when a school allows themselves to be punished. People forget that the NCAA has ZERO legal authority. they're a group. They have as much legal authority to come to your house and demand an interview with you as your local volunteer fire department has. They rely on VOLUNTARY membership of institutions. At some point, and it will be soon IMO, the conferences will govern themselves. The political stranglehold and financial extortion of the volunteer universities will only last so long.

Think about this... how often do Duke, UK, UNC, and other big basketball programs get hammered and banned from post season play? it's rare in basketball despite everyone knowing how "involved" the AAU network is in getting players to go to certain schools. You want to know why major probation involving post season bans doesn't occur in basketball???? It's because the NCAA makes 80+% of it's money on the tournament. If they ban UK, Duke, or UNC from post season play they're cutting into their own pocket book. Meanwhile, they can go after football because they don't get nearly as much money from football programs.

TStationDawg
07-30-2014, 01:10 PM
too bad we can't track the bank accounts of the NCAA investigators.

Oh, you can. Its getting someone to care what you find that matters....ask Jackie

Bully13
07-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Oh, you can. Its getting someone to care what you find that matters....ask Jackie

interesting. care to espouse a little more on that?

also, that pic of the babe doesn't get any better.

TStationDawg
07-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Just saying we all know the NCAA is hypocritical- they don't need to have proof to punish, and they don't care what proof you have of innocence. So, you even if a court issued a subpoena for bank records and showed proof of impropriety, do we really expect the NCAA to do anything to themselves? Do we expect the mighty Mike Slive to defend us?

Bully13
07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Just saying we all know the NCAA is hypocritical- they don't need to have proof to punish, and they don't care what proof you have of innocence. So, you even if a court issued a subpoena for bank records and showed proof of impropriety, do we really expect the NCAA to do anything to themselves? Do we expect the mighty Mike Slive to defend us?

understood. but I was just wondering if any bank records were ever brought in to a court of law or submitted to the NCAA. and if so, what was found and what became of it?

starkvegasdawg
07-30-2014, 01:36 PM
politics. NCAA is trying so hard to be important and the only way that ever happens is when a school allows themselves to be punished. People forget that the NCAA has ZERO legal authority. they're a group. They have as much legal authority to come to your house and demand an interview with you as your local volunteer fire department has. They rely on VOLUNTARY membership of institutions. At some point, and it will be soon IMO, the conferences will govern themselves. The political stranglehold and financial extortion of the volunteer universities will only last so long.

Think about this... how often do Duke, UK, UNC, and other big basketball programs get hammered and banned from post season play? it's rare in basketball despite everyone knowing how "involved" the AAU network is in getting players to go to certain schools. You want to know why major probation involving post season bans doesn't occur in basketball???? It's because the NCAA makes 80+% of it's money on the tournament. If they ban UK, Duke, or UNC from post season play they're cutting into their own pocket book. Meanwhile, they can go after football because they don't get nearly as much money from football programs.

I agree they have zero legal authority to make you do anything. About all they can do is declare a player ineligble until he provides whatever it is they want to see. Think Renardo Sidney.

codeDawg
07-30-2014, 02:48 PM

Yup, this is political. The NCAA is fighting for their lives right now. They are in a major predicament because the money schools are very close to leaving and their entire model is about to get rocked with court cases. Whatever they are working on right now, I am sure is an attempt to justify their value without blowing up the system.

I can't say that it will happen, but UM is a perfect target for them in this situation. They are one of the poorest schools in the SEC and have dared to challenge the real money schools. They have also been defiant in the face of the NCAA. The SEC office could really give two shits about UM going on probation. It would allow the SEC to offer the sacrificial lamb without putting up Auburn or some other valuable franchise. Nailing UM to the wall would allow them to demonstrate they still have teeth in the power conferences.

All of this is just the death nell though. The NCAA should just give up the big 5 and go back to protecting competition for those schools that are not semi-pro organizations masquerading as colleges. It's just sad more than anything. The only people being protected are the people that make money on what the NCAA does.

Dogchomp
07-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I honestly believe the NCAA will only try and punish challengers from here on out. There is no way the NCAA will try and punish an Alabama type school, because then that would catalyze a movement to break away from the NCAA. However, I'll bet you 2 potato that challenger schools will be the ones the NCAA even directs any attention to.

Political Hack
07-30-2014, 03:03 PM
the reason OM should be worried is that several other member institutions turned them in. When members complain and don't get what they're looking for in return, they can separate from their voluntary inclusion in that organization. The NCAA almost has to hand something to OM for political purposes. If not, it has to turn it's back on several other members who complained.

msstate7
07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Let's say the NCAA found that X school gave Y player $100,000. At what point does the NCAA not even matter bc the player evaded tax? When does the irs become involved?

Barking 13
07-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Let's say the NCAA found that X school gave Y player $100,000. At what point does the NCAA not even matter bc the player evaded tax? When does the irs become involved?

good point... probably if they find out he's not a democrat...***

On another note, I heard on some radio program the other day that the NCAA is looking at having an overall commissioner to hand out punishments (think Roger Goodell) that would be consistent across the board (yeah, right)

codeDawg
07-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Whatever they are working on right now, I am sure is an attempt to justify their value without blowing up the system.

To reply to myself, just saw this in the Emmert statement:

"the nature of these cases is significant because the enforcement department, consistent with direction from the membership, is focused on those violations that most seriously compromise the collegiate model. They are working on the right kinds of cases and with the right philosophy."

So, what poses the greatest risk to the collegiate model? Number one would have to be academics, e.g. UNC. It will be interesting to see if pay for play is under that category.

codeDawg
07-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Still having a one person conversation...

Here are the level I and level II violations. Note Failure to Cooperate...

Level I
Lack of institutional control.
Academic fraud.
Failure to cooperate in an NCAA enforcement investigation.
Individual unethical or dishonest conduct.
Head coach responsibility violation by a head coach resulting from an underlying Level I violation by an individual within the sport program.

Level II
Violations that do not rise to the level of Level I violations and are more serious than Level III violations.
Failure to monitor.
Systemic violations that do not amount to a lack of institutional control.
Multiple recruiting, financial aid, or eligibility violations that do not amount. to a lack of institutional control.
Collective Level III violations.

EAVdog
07-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Yes but to be 100% fair, Adams had been an NCAA heavyweight for some time. He was named the head of the Executive Committee in 2007. He didn't identify this job & take it to burn OM. Adams is a UGA homer and he could be pissed over Tunsil but there are 20 schools involved. This will be widespread

I heard Adams on 790 the Zone in Atlanta discuss shenanigans regarding Tunsil's recruitment right after he flipped to OM. He was personally upset, the radio host pushed the issue and Adams was not hesitant to suggest he'd make sure it was looked into with great interest. He ruled UGA with an Iron fist and for all intents and purposes ran the Athletic Department.