PDA

View Full Version : Clay Travis breaks down SEC Network/TV money: Good breakdown

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
We are about to be rich, and I think we could come up with a little wiggle room in the budget to cut back on "in-game, video board advertising with sound"

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/sec-network-revenue-is-impressive-073014

maroonmania
07-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Do we really produce less revenue than Vanderbilt? If so, that surprises me although I'm not sure what all is included in "revenue production".

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Do we really produce less revenue than Vanderbilt? If so, that surprises me although I'm not sure what all is included in "revenue production".

Vandy is a private institution and doesn't report it's revenue, budget, or coaching salaries. Therefore, whenever someone give an SEC budget stat, it is excluding Vandy

Cowboydawg
07-30-2014, 12:29 PM
FWIW, Scott Stricklin spoke to the Desoto Touchdown Club Monday with the SEC Network being one of his topics. He said he felt the media articles out there predicting income are greatly exaggerated and he specifically mentioned an article by Clay Travis (I see this one is dated 7/30 so not sure which one he was talking about).

He asked the media to keep this off record but he went into detail on how he calculated his figures, but in the end he felt $8 -$10M/year was a realistic figure for what each SEC member could expect. He also said that in speaking with the other ADs around the conference, none of the schools budgeted a single dollar from the SEC Network. That should tell you that nobody really has a clue what to expect.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
FWIW, Scott Stricklin spoke to the Desoto Touchdown Club Monday with the SEC Network being one of his topics. He said he felt the media articles out there predicting income are greatly exaggerated and he specifically mentioned an article by Clay Travis (I see this one is dated 7/30 so not sure which one he was talking about).

He asked the media to keep this off record but he went into detail on how he calculated his figures, but in the end he felt $8 -$10M/year was a realistic figure for what each SEC member could expect. He also said that in speaking with the other ADs around the conference, none of the schools budgeted a single dollar from the SEC Network. That should tell you that nobody really has a clue what to expect.

Obviously, Scott has more and better information than Clay Travis, but Clay broke it down pretty well, actually made conservative estimates on every factor, and still came out 10+ million more than Stricklin is saying.

I would be curious how or why Travis could be overestimating by 10 mil a year. Perhaps Scott is just trying to keep things conservative so people still feel the need to give money, and he can still show off his "business acumen" by selling and running endless advertisements. I just get the feeling that there motives for SEC athletic directors to throw out conservative numbers, while the media doesn't have motives

Cowboydawg
07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Obviously, Scott has more and better information than Clay Travis, but Clay broke it down pretty well, actually made conservative estimates on every factor, and still came out 10+ million more than Stricklin is saying.

I would be curious how or why Travis could be overestimating by 10 mil a year. Perhaps Scott is just trying to keep things conservative so people still feel the need to give money, and he can still show off his "business acumen" by selling and running endless advertisements. I just get the feeling that there motives for SEC athletic directors to throw out conservative numbers, while the media doesn't have motives

It seemed he was definitely trying to temper expectations. I just skimmed the article you attached but, Stricklin threw out a lot of the same numbers that Travis did as far as calculations go. I was trying to calculate with him in my head and he was definitely on the conservative side. I imagine the actual number will be somewhere in between.

Barking 13
07-30-2014, 03:23 PM
y'all are forgetting about the government's cut, so with 18 mil, that brings it back down to 9 ***