PDA

View Full Version : Billy Jackson

gtowndawg
07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Why is it that Billy Jackson doesn't seem to get the love from the Bulldog faithful like he deserves? He's probably one of our greatest players, at least statistically, ever but you never hear his name mentioned as one of the greats?

He's my favorite all time dog, mainly because I was 5, 6, 7 and 8 when he played. Right when I started going to games with my grandad and Dad so there's the personal aspect for me.

But still, he's 3 sacks behind Derrick Thomas...freakin' Derrick Thomas as the SEC's all time sack leader but nobody ever mentions him. And it's not like he played in the 30's. He played with Johnnie Cooks, Kent Hull and John Bond and people talk about them all the time. He has 17 more sacks than Reggie White during the exact same time period (80-83). REGGIE WHITE. What am I missing?

He recovered the fumble against Alabama in the 1980 goal line stand and had a monster game in the famous "bring in the portable lights" against LSU game in 83 (which we won).

Here's to you Billy Jackson, wherever you are. My favorite Bulldog of all time!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/927/998/BillJackson_display_image.jpg?1305048689

AROB44
07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Why is it that Billy Jackson doesn't seem to get the love from the Bulldog faithful like he deserves?

Probably because a large percentage of message board posters are too young to remember him. I actually go back to the days of Sonny Fisher, Hoyle Granger, J.E. Loicano (sp). Many folks don't remember them as well. But....I fully agree with you re Billy Jackson. I believe he had a very good career in the CFL.

cujo
07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I love this post - I agree with you that BJ is one of the all time greats. I was in school from 79-83 and so naturally that's one of my favorite periods of Bulldog football. Jackson was so quick that it caught people off guard and he was always around the football, as you noted.
Here's to #91!

PassInterference
07-30-2014, 09:50 AM
I remember and he was certified BAD ASS. That 1980 defense was the standard by which all great MSU defenses are judged.

I think BJ was the guy who created that famous fumble that beat Bama in 1980.

In the early 90s, BJ came back to campus for an spring alumni football game. Sherrill said he still looked like he could play and wanted him on the real team.

MSUDawg4Life
07-30-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree that it's just because many of us didn't see him play. When you look at the record books, it's quite obvious he was an outstanding player.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Why did a certified bad ass, that is second all time in SEC sacksc have to play in the CFL? Can anyone else imagine that happening today?

AROB44
07-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Why did a certified bad ass, that is second all time in SEC sacksc have to play in the CFL? Can anyone else imagine that happening today?

I think it had to do with his size. He was only about 6'2" if I remember correctly. Maybe 6'3" at best.

NCDawg
07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Probably 80-90% of the posters on this board don't go back further than Felker's reign. I remember Jackson sacking Fourcade on the last play of the '80 Ole Miss game, which preserved our win. Goes without saying that he recovered the fumble in the '80 Alabama game after Tyrone Keys hit their QB. As I recall, he was one of our last signees the year Bellard signed him.

gtowndawg
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM

He's getting drafted. Period. Heck, he would probably be a household name if he played today. Michael Sam had 11.5 sacks last year and he was pretty well known before he became really well known {cough}. Billy Jackson AVERAGED 14 sacks a year playing 10 games. He would be moved to tackle I would assume (away from end since he was on the shorter side) but someone would draft him.

AROB44
07-30-2014, 10:52 AM
No way would he be a tackle. More likely would have been a real good OLB.