PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama loses 6-3. Likely blew hosting chances....

CadaverDawg
05-18-2013, 09:27 PM
which in my opinion all but guarantees us a hosting spot. I didn't think that game would even matter but some of the idiots, I mean "experts", were saying a USA win could have stolen our spot.

Everyone on the bubble for hosting lost this weekend, except for us....which tells me everything I need to know.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Gotta beat Missouri and I think we'll host

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
We are a lock to host

Ronny
05-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Gotta beat Missouri and I think we'll host

..beat a team that began their season 0-6 against Memphis & Southern Miss?

I like our chances.

Even with Norris pitching.**

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 09:53 PM
If we're not hosting, then South Carolina and Arkansas aren't hosting. Which means that the SEC would only have two teams hosting.

Keep this in mind in the following days when you hear rumors- Baseball America is very Northern and ACC biased.

Sebaseball.com is biased towards southern teams (mid majors) and Arkansas. They have the least reliable projections of anybody.

PG is probably a little biased against us- but is still probably the most fair.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
which in my opinion all but guarantees us a hosting spot. I didn't think that game would even matter but some of the idiots, I mean "experts", were saying a USA win could have stolen our spot.

Everyone on the bubble for hosting lost this weekend, except for us....which tells me everything I need to know.

Like I said- I still think South Alabama hosts and gets the mid major special. Although, there is a chance is could be Indiana that is the mid major special.

Ultimately, when you look at this weekend, nothing really changed. And that's good for us.

Ronny
05-18-2013, 10:01 PM
If we're not hosting, then South Carolina and Arkansas aren't hosting. Which means that the SEC would only have two teams hosting.

Keep this in mind in the following days when you hear rumors- Baseball America is very Northern and ACC biased.

Sebaseball.com is biased towards southern teams (mid majors) and Arkansas. They have the least reliable projections of anybody.

PG is probably a little biased against us- but is still probably the most fair.

...none of the aforementioned depend on raw data & statistical accomplishment to make their decisions? I'm not surprised.

It's all based on prejudice & gut feeling. No breaking news there.

Sounds exactly like how they fill out the NCAA tournament brackets for basketball.

Coach34
05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
We're hosting...end of story

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 11:02 PM
...none of the aforementioned depend on raw data & statistical accomplishment to make their decisions? I'm not surprised.

It's all based on prejudice & gut feeling. No breaking news there.

Sounds exactly like how they fill out the NCAA tournament brackets for basketball.

You've got it.

Baseball America's corporate headquarters is in Durham, NC. The heart of ACC country. They also lead the charge for Northern teams getting into the act as well.

SEbaseball.com at least at one time had a TON of Arkansas fans on their message board. I stopped reading it because it was so crappy. It was basically about how great Arkansas and Ole Miss were at baseball. Maybe it has changed. I don't know if Mark Etheridge has any actual Arkansas ties or not- but he certainly knows who his customers are. And he also probably knows that they aren't exactly rational either. They are literally the only people saying Arkansas will host.

I would venture to guess that either Kendall Rogers or 615Dawg on sixpack are actually probably the most accurate out there.

When the projections don't go down like they say it will- it gives them something to talk about.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
You've got it.

Baseball America's corporate headquarters is in Durham, NC. The heart of ACC country. They also lead the charge for Northern teams getting into the act as well.

SEbaseball.com at least at one time had a TON of Arkansas fans on their message board. I stopped reading it because it was so crappy. It was basically about how great Arkansas and Ole Miss were at baseball. Maybe it has changed. I don't know if Mark Etheridge has any actual Arkansas ties or not- but he certainly knows who his customers are. And he also probably knows that they aren't exactly rational either. They are literally the only people saying Arkansas will host.

I would venture to guess that either Kendall Rogers or 615Dawg on sixpack are actually probably the most accurate out there.

When the projections don't go down like they say it will- it gives them something to talk about.

Damn Todd, you really seem to know Mark Ethridge....it's killing him not having Arkansas hosting, so he wrote his article based around how close they are to hosting.

http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507167

I am actually pretty shocked that some people even act like we are close to being left out. Regardless of what anybody says, our résumé is a lock for a host site. People talking like we are still on the bubble as a host, are ****ing crazy. We have 40 wins, 16 in SEC, #5 SOS, #10 RPI. If we aren't in the SEC, we're in the National Seed discussion with that resume. But even in the SEC, we are a lock due to unbalanced schedules.

Ghost of Hank Flick
05-19-2013, 10:36 AM
We are 100% hosting. Not only do we have a far superior resume to Arkansas but we just took 2 out of 3 from South Carolina (who will also host) when we knew we had to. What's more our RPI is still 10th and might go down to 11th if we lost to Mizzou, and as it was pointed about by Matty Dispatch earlier this week, the chances of that RPI being snubbed is slim to none. Moreover, we have the most storied college baseball stadium in the country.

Have some confidence, gentlemen, we are once again back in the position we should be.

State82
05-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Damn Todd, you really seem to know Mark Ethridge....it's killing him not having Arkansas hosting, so he wrote his article based around how close they are to hosting.

http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507167

I am actually pretty shocked that some people even act like we are close to being left out. Regardless of what anybody says, our résumé is a lock for a host site. People talking like we are still on the bubble as a host, are ****ing crazy. We have 40 wins, 16 in SEC, #5 SOS, #10 RPI. If we aren't in the SEC, we're in the National Seed discussion with that resume. But even in the SEC, we are a lock due to unbalanced schedules.

I keep going back to the unbalanced schedule also, CD, and I just can't fathom how the NCAA baseball committee cannot look at that. However, they are the NCAA, and I put them in the same category as the IRS. I have no faith in their rational decision making abilities. The pertinent numbers just don't lie. But do they have enough sense to look at those numbers?

CadaverDawg
05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
We are 100% hosting. Not only do we have a far superior resume to Arkansas but we just took 2 out of 3 from South Carolina (who will also host) when we knew we had to. What's more our RPI is still 10th and might go down to 11th if we lost to Mizzou, and as it was pointed about by Matty Dispatch earlier this week, the chances of that RPI being snubbed is slim to none. Moreover, we have the most storied college baseball stadium in the country.

Have some confidence, gentlemen, we are once again back in the position we should be.

Engie, have you noticed how on SPS today it looks like there are some people lobbying against us hosting a Regional? I just don't get the MSU mentality, man. Our message boards, twitter accounts, etc, should all be littered with numbers showing why we should be a host. Not posts that say "we won't be a host" and some people agreeing with it. I just don't get it. In my opinion, it's much easier for the NCAA to snub a team whose fans are already expecting a snub, than it is to piss off 20,000 fans that are 100% sure their team will be hosting.

If any other team in the country had our résumé, their fans would never post "we won't be hosting".

And in other news...someone said that "Detz was good early in the year, but once teams got a scouting report on him, he's been terrible ever since". Seriously? Holy shitballs.