PDA

View Full Version : Aeris Williams

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I saw in the media day interview, where Dak said Gerri Green and Aeris Williams were two freshmen that were already showing lots of promise. I've always kinda felt like Aeris and Shump were similar backs, but the more I watch Shump, the more I hope Aeris is a little quicker and has more breakaway speed. Has anybody seen Aeris live and in person? What is your comparison of him to Shumpert?

Also, do you think we redshirt him? With all of the backs we're recruiting for the next class I'm starting to feel confident that Aeris will not redshirt, and will probably get a similar number of carries to the number Shumpert had last season.

Thoughts?

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Also, did anyone else notice Dak pronounce Gerri's name like "Gary"? I've thought all along that his name was pronounced like "Jerry"....guess I was wrong. Ha

codeDawg
07-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Everything I've heard is that Aeris is in a class by himself. No way he gets the RS. He might not play many meaningful downs, but he will play.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Everything I've heard is that Aeris is in a class by himself. No way he gets the RS. He might not play many meaningful downs, but he will play.

Good to hear.

Reason2succeed
07-29-2014, 09:35 PM
If Shump doesn't learn to AVOID hits instead of inviting them he will end up being a fullback. Actually, that may be how he will be used as an FB in a day when no one is really using FBs and defenses aren't as prepared to play a power running team. I can't wait to see the stress on a defense of dealing with Jameon, Bear, and Malcolm Johnson along with Shump at FB and JRob at tailback.

Coach34
07-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Aeris is not going to play meaningful snaps until he learns to block-especially passblock. Mullen isnt going to have him in there to let Dakota get hurt because he missed a blitz pick-up. That's part of the reason JRob sat on the bench.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:41 PM
If Shump doesn't learn to AVOID hits instead of inviting them he will end up being a fullback. Actually, that may be how he will be used as an FB in a day when no one is really using FBs and defenses aren't as prepared to play a power running team. I can't wait to see the stress on a defense of dealing with Jameon, Bear, and Malcolm Johnson along with Shump at FB and JRob at tailback.

Yep. I would like to see a diamond formation this year with Dak, JRob, Shump, and Griffin. That is a ton of Bulldog rolling downhill at a defense. If Griffin is making the strides that I'm hearing he's making...it looks like he will have a big impact this season against all odds after all the knee issues. I truly hope he has a monster year.

preachermatt83
07-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Yep. I would like to see a diamond formation this year with Dak, JRob, Shump, and Griffin. That is a ton of Bulldog rolling downhill at a defense. If Griffin is making the strides that I'm hearing he's making...it looks like he will have a big impact this season against all odds after all the knee issues. I truly hope he has a monster year.

THIS^^^^ THIS^^^THIS^^^

Barking 13
07-29-2014, 10:34 PM

can someone get me a tissue? Ive just had an accident

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 10:44 PM
can someone get me a tissue? Ive just had an accident

Haha, no doubt. It really does get me excited thinking about that formation. All 4 of those guys are downhill runners for the most part (JRob has a little shiftiness to him). That is a crazy good backfield

Barking 13
07-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Haha, no doubt. It really does get me excited thinking about that formation. All 4 of those guys are downhill runners for the most part (JRob has a little shiftiness to him). That is a crazy good backfield

look at some of my posts from the end of last season... I had a boner about it then...:cool:

Todd4State
07-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Having seen both play in person, Aeries probably has better hands in the passing game than Shumpert coming out of high school. So, to me he is probably more of an all-around type back than Shumpert who is more of a JJ Johnson between the tackles and run you over type of guy. That's not to say that Aeries can't run between the tackles- just that he is more versatile.

Todd4State
07-29-2014, 11:28 PM
I like the Diamond formation personnel, but what about some old school wishbone with the same guys?

Todd4State
07-29-2014, 11:30 PM

Shumpert actually scored a TD in the Liberty Bowl playing FB in the goal line package. I like the idea of having two backs that can both be dangerous threats on offense as opposed to one basically being a blocking only guy.

Barking 13
07-30-2014, 12:05 AM
I like the Diamond formation personnel, but what about some old school wishbone with the same guys?

I could go for that... maybe if they dig around long enough they can mind the missing Bellard playbook of unused plays

shoeless joe
07-30-2014, 11:27 AM
I've said this before, very similar style. Aeris is a little bigger and I think will add a lot of muscle to his frame so he could get even bigger. I think his build will allow him to make a little better use of that style. I've seen them side by side and shump has quicker feet and maybe a little quicker overall but his running style doesn't showcase that ability. I've heard a ton of good things about Aeris since he's been on campus and it sounds like he is determined to get the most from his God given ability.

07-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Also, did anyone else notice Dak pronounce Gerri's name like "Gary"? I've thought all along that his name was pronounced like "Jerry"....guess I was wrong. Ha

Yep, it's "Gary". It's included in the media guide pronunciation section - GAIR-ee

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/pdf/fb/fb_14mg.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=16800

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
look at some of my posts from the end of last season... I had a boner about it then...:cool:

A couple of my threads on the subject last year:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?7721-Is-it-insane-to-think-we-couldl-add-some-good-ole-triple-option-to-our-repitoire&highlight=option

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?10680-Anybody-else-think-it-would-be-fun-to-see-some-Flexbone-formation-with&highlight=option