PDA

View Full Version : Biggest concern going in to the season?

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Which of these 2 is the bigger concern going into the season?

FISHDAWG
07-29-2014, 08:20 PM
a true consensus by those who should know ... popcorn & one Corona please

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Not busting balls here but is this a fair question? OL has 5 on the field at all times, 10 men to maintain in just the 2-deep and 12-15 in the 3 deep. RB has at most 2-3 on the field at one time and 3 would be very rare. A depth chart of 5-6 total. Plus MSU has forever signed top RBs. Like for 30 straight years. I just don't think it's very fair to place Hevesy vs the RB position as comparison. Cause that's what I am getting out of this question being asked. You're trying to prove a point about Hevesy. Right?

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Not busting balls here but is this a fair question? OL has 5 on the field at all times, 10 men to maintain in just the 2-deep and 12-15 in the 3 deep. RB has at most 2-3 on the field at one time and 3 would be very rare. A depth chart of 5-6 total. Plus MSU has forever signed top RBs. Like for 30 straight years. I just don't think it's very fair to place Hevesy vs the RB position as comparison. Cause that's what I am getting out of this question being asked. You're trying to prove a point about Hevesy. Right?

No, I'm not. Coach says that the "consensus", is that people feel better about our OL than they do about our RB situation. I disagree. So I want to see what the consensus is amongst this board. Nothing at all to do with Hevesy here.

sleepy dawg
07-29-2014, 08:30 PM

I was going to say something similar, without the Hevesy part...

These positions are definitely way different. It would be a very rare situation where I was ever more concerned about our RBs than our OL.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 08:33 PM
It would be a very rare situation where I was ever more concerned about our RBs than our OL.

Totally agree.

preachermatt83
07-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Im sorry but anyone who is worried about our RB situation is just crazy.

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 08:41 PM
No, I'm not. Coach says that the "consensus", is that people feel better about our OL than they do about our RB situation. I disagree. So I want to see what the consensus is amongst this board. Nothing at all to do with Hevesy here.

C34 is just being argumentative here. He has a man-crush on the offensive line position. Always has. Offensive line is a position that is always of concern any team anywhere any level and MSU has always had a sub-standard OL compared to Bama, LSU, Auburn but who hasn't. With 5 men on the field at the same time and OL being susceptible to season long leg injuries more frequently than RBs it is a constant concern for all teams. No we don't have Eddie Lacy at the RB position but we do have 5 of them that I would like to all see get carries every game. I'm more concerned with Dak's health than either of these two positions though. If Dak goes down you see the most significant drop from the 1st string to backup than any other position on the field. I like Williams but there's a big difference between a Heisman candidate and a true Soph with only limited experience. No knock on Williams.

sleepy dawg
07-29-2014, 08:44 PM
I was going to say something similar, without the Hevesy part...

These positions are definitely way different. It would be a very rare situation where I was ever more concerned about our RBs than our OL.

Another reason these positions aren't as fair to compare the level of concern you have for it, is that at RB you are as good as your best RB, and each RB down in depth counts less for how good you are overall there. It's kinda the opposite with OL to me. It's really hard to cover up for a bad O Lineman. With OL it's the weak link that sticks out, where with RBs, it's the best that sticks out.

chef dixon
07-29-2014, 08:47 PM
OL is beat to death by every single above-average fan for every single team.

RougeDawg
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Is no one worried about our kicking situation? What has changed since last year that has everyone at ease? I know this thread is about a previous RB/OL debate but I haven't seen kicking addressed on here in a while.

MarketingBully01
07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Personally, there is only one position that should be a question mark on this team and it is field goal kicker. Everything else is fine IMO for where we want to go. We need a better FG kicker then Sobiesk.

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Personally, there is only one position that should be a question mark on this team and it is field goal kicker. Everything else is fine IMO for where we want to go. We need a better FG kicker then Sobiesk.

Does the Michigan transfer have to sit out this year? He looked pretty good in his video.

MarketingBully01
07-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Nope, he shouldn't. I hope he wins the job.

FISHDAWG
07-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Another reason these positions aren't as fair to compare the level of concern you have for it, is that at RB you are as good as your best RB, and each RB down in depth counts less for how good you are overall there. It's kinda the opposite with OL to me. It's really hard to cover up for a bad O Lineman. With OL it's the weak link that sticks out, where with RBs, it's the best that sticks out.

OL still performs as a single unit ... all for one and one for all kinda thing - RB's are much more solitary and exposed

MadisonDawg
07-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Does the Michigan transfer have to sit out this year? He looked pretty good in his video.

I don't think so, because he wasn't on scholarship at Michigan.

FISHDAWG
07-29-2014, 08:59 PM
he tweeted today that his number is 37 and ready for the season

have a look ...... https://twitter.com/i/notifications

TruMaroonNation™ ‏@TruMaroonNation 3h
Kicker who transferred from Michigan RT @_McGrath46: I'll be wearing 37 this year! Can't wait for Thursday, it's time. #HailState

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Nope, he shouldn't. I hope he wins the job.

Can't lie, I was less than impressed with Sobiesk last year. He kicks it way too low. I actually preferred Bell over him last year just cause Bell at least kicks the shit out of the ball and gets it very high it just misses left or right too much. Sobiesk kills chances of it going in before it even gets past the line.

blacklistedbully
07-29-2014, 09:05 PM
My only concern about RB is a concern that Dan will try to get cute again with Holloway like he did with Perkins last year, and run him over & over up the gut for little to no gain.

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
My only concern about RB is a concern that Dan will try to get cute again with Holloway like he did with Perkins last year, and run him over & over up the gut for little to no gain.

Then I guess you have nothing to worry about at the RB position because there's not a chance in hell Dan is going to do that with Holloway.

MadisonDawg
07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6lAR6D9kJw

This was in march, looks to be getting some air under it here.

MarketingBully01
07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
he tweeted today that his number is 37 and ready for the season

have a look ...... https://twitter.com/i/notifications

TruMaroonNation? ‏@TruMaroonNation 3h
Kicker who transferred from Michigan RT @_McGrath46: I'll be wearing 37 this year! Can't wait for Thursday, it's time. #HailState

This is great news! I hope he wins the battle in fall camp. Would be awesome if he did.

FISHDAWG
07-29-2014, 09:12 PM
coach ? .... u gonna vote ?

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:13 PM
coach ? .... u gonna vote ?

He voted for OL. Even HE isn't dumb enough to believe the stuff he's been trollin with.

Dawg61
07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6lAR6D9kJw

This was in march, looks to be getting some air under it here.

Yes he does and from what I understand he looked very good last year in practice too but to me looked nervous on Saturdays and the great practice kicking didn't transition to the actual games. Maybe I am wrong here. I hope he never misses another kick while at MSU from here on.

BulldogBear
07-29-2014, 09:21 PM
a true consensus by those who should know ... popcorn & one Corona please

This ^

gravedigger
07-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Our fans shitty attitude about the 'ceiling' bleeding into the teams attitude.

Steakonastick
07-29-2014, 09:39 PM
1. Kicker- hope a game does not come down to a kick. I have not heard one positive from anybody who has seen our guys kick this summer.

2. Defensive play maker. Wanna see who is gonna step up and have that knack for a turnover. I cussed Whitley as much as anybody but he turned the ark and ole miss games around.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 09:46 PM
1. Kicker- hope a game does not come down to a kick. I have not heard one positive from anybody who has seen our guys kick this summer.

2. Defensive play maker. Wanna see who is gonna step up and have that knack for a turnover. I cussed Whitley as much as anybody but he turned the ark and ole miss games around.

Both of your points are very very true. I hope the Michigan kicker is legit. As for defense....I feel like Calhoun has no problem being that guy...and I would love to see teams having to throw the ball in Love and Redmond's direction bc they are worried about Calhoun. That would be playing right into our hands.

Barking 13
07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
none of the above

Reason2succeed
07-29-2014, 10:13 PM
How about FIELD GOAL KICKING???

MarketingBully01
07-29-2014, 10:21 PM

1 is a true concern. 2 you can take your pick of Jones, McKinney, Cox, Love, Calhoun, heck you could even add Market and Hughes to the mix. In other words, 2 should not be an issue.

sleepy dawg
07-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Everybody's concerned about the OL and RB's, but what about kicking game?*

cbrunt29
07-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Just imagine if we had Gabe Jackson one more year. Man oh man.
As far as the kicking situation goes, I hope the kid from Michigan wins the job. We've seen what Sobiesk and Bell can do

FISHDAWG
07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Just imagine if we had Gabe Jackson one more year. Man oh man.
As far as the kicking situation goes, I hope the kid from Michigan wins the job. We've seen what Sobiesk and Bell can do

early word is the Michigan kicker seems to be more consistent but lacks on distance ... I'll gladly trade some distance for better consistency

DanDority
07-30-2014, 08:43 AM
To answer the poll Question. Coach Mullen saying that Damien Robinson was penciled in as a starter at Right Tackle.

PassInterference
07-30-2014, 08:45 AM
This poll is like what's your biggest concern?

1) Linebackers

2) DL

and I'm like

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/direwolf.gif

cbrunt29
07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
early word is the Michigan kicker seems to be more consistent but lacks on distance ... I'll gladly trade some distance for better consistency
Most definitely

sandwolf
07-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Agreed. I just want a guy that is money from 40 yards and in.

EAVdog
07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Having to buy tickets to the SECCG, and then 2 Bowl Games. There aren't enough trailers in Mississippi to sell so that we can all go!

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM

And yet, his "claim to fame" is this unreal strong leg he has, isn't it? From the article talking about his commitment to Michigan:

McGrath is listed at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. He kicked three of the longest field goals in state of Michigan history, from 57, 54 and 52 yards. He was 7-of-11 on field goals and 25-of-26 on extra points in 2012. As a punter he averaged 41 yards.

PassInterference
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Why wasn't "stadium audio" a choice?

Given how bad our stadium audio has been since the Moo Tube expansion, how does enclosing and endzone not create any concerns or work towards making sure our acoustics are going to be OK?

HancockCountyDog
07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
To answer the poll Question. Coach Mullen saying that Damien Robinson was penciled in as a starter at Right Tackle.

There is simply no way Robinson will be the starter when we play in Baton Rouge.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
just going off something someone said in chat room last night that got it from a very close observer ... I personally have no clue as to what to expect ... but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying improvement in our place kicking isn't a lot to ask for

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Then I guess you have nothing to worry about at the RB position because there's not a chance in hell Dan is going to do that with Holloway.

Would you have thought Dan would run Perk up the middle the way he did, as often as he did last year, knowing he had JRob on the sideline averaging nearly twice the YPC and routinely able to bust through tackles to fall forward?

That was the issue that had me on the fence with Dan last year. I love him for several reasons, but that one issue really soured me near the end, that, and the decision to switch to a conservative offense and prevent defense far too soon. I pray that he has continued to grow as a coach, and we won't see much of that kind of stuff going forward.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm 100% behind Mullen again, and think we have the team that can compete for the SEC, which means we could actually compete for a playoff birth and NC. It's just a matter-of-fact that the SEC champ is at least a legit NC contender.

Saltydog
07-30-2014, 11:56 AM
I'd like to know who the two are that voted for RB and what their rationale for it is.

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Bell's got one of the biggest legs we've ever had. I feel that he could win the job. I know a lot of fans will be negative if he does because he has missed several chippies. However, accuracy is probably something that can be corrected. Leg strength is a much tougher slog.

As far as RB, I can't believe anyone is worried about that. OL is always the position that determines whether the team gets to play football. You think that's ridiculous if you want, but those who remember the Rocky Felker teams (with Bellard recruits) know that an outmatched OL means a turnover or 3 and out at least 7 out of 10 times. Not to mention the hits the quarterback takes if the OL and RB's can't block the defense.

Dawg61
07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Would you have thought Dan would run Perk up the middle the way he did, as often as he did last year, knowing he had JRob on the sideline averaging nearly twice the YPC and routinely able to bust through tackles to fall forward?

I don't have a problem with running the #1 RB up the middle on occasion. In baseball it is equivalent to throwing a fast ball right down the pipe when the hitter is sitting off speed. Preferably you get to the line quickly and quick snap and run the play straight up the middle and the defense can be out of position and the play can work for great yardage. Gash the defense while they are winded and confused. Subbing in the #2 back takes away the advantage you are trying to capitalize on. Holloway isn't our #1-4 RB and he's 40 lbs lighter than Perkins so I don't expect to see very many runs all year long with him straight up the middle. How many times did Auburn run Tre Mason straight up the middle? Probably 3x as much as we did with Perkins. We will always have running plays that go straight up the middle. It is the quickest route from point A to point B and the middle covers 40-60% of the field so it has to be attacked to make the defense more susceptible to getting burned on the outside and deep. Just because a run only went 2-3 yards up the middle doesn't mean it wasn't successful because it freed up room on the outside for the next play that went 15 yards.

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't have a problem with running the #1 RB up the middle on occasion. In baseball it is equivalent to throwing a fast ball right down the pipe when the hitter is sitting off speed. Preferably you get to the line quickly and quick snap and run the play straight up the middle and the defense can be out of position and the play can work for great yardage. Gash the defense while they are winded and confused. Subbing in the #2 back takes away the advantage you are trying to capitalize on. Holloway isn't our #1-4 RB and he's 40 lbs lighter than Perkins so I don't expect to see very many runs all year long with him straight up the middle. How many times did Auburn run Tre Mason straight up the middle? Probably 3x as much as we did with Perkins. We will always have running plays that go straight up the middle. It is the quickest route from point A to point B and the middle covers 40-60% of the field so it has to be attacked to make the defense more susceptible to getting burned on the outside and deep. Just because a run only went 2-3 yards up the middle doesn't mean it wasn't successful because it freed up room on the outside for the next play that went 15 yards.

Great post. Good to have fans who understand the game.

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 12:40 PM

What you & drunkerhelldawg are forgetting is how many times we did it for no-gain, time-after-time! Let's not presume I don't understand the idea of "quick hits up the middle", or "setting up later plays", etc. My issue last year wasn't with "occasionally" running Perk up the middle. It was 100% about how often we did it with so little success. And, yes, I am talking about how many times we had drives stall because we were put into negative yardage situations as a result. I believe there were far many more of those than there were drives extended because we somehow "set up a bigger play by calling Perk-up-the-middle earlier".

And yes, drunkernhelldawg, it's good to have fans who understand the game. Hopefully you understand the nuances that I'm talking about. It's not simply as cut & dried as DAWG61's post might indicate, at least as far as it concerns my post.

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2014, 01:01 PM
What you & drunkerhelldawg are forgetting is how many times we did it for no-gain, time-after-time! Let's not presume I don't understand the idea of "quick hits up the middle", or "setting up later plays", etc. My issue last year wasn't with "occasionally" running Perk up the middle. It was 100% about how often we did it with so little success. And, yes, I am talking about how many times we had drives stall because we were put into negative yardage situations as a result. I believe there were far many more of those than there were drives extended because we somehow "set up a bigger play by calling Perk-up-the-middle earlier".

And yes, drunkernhelldawg, it's good to have fans who understand the game. Hopefully you understand the nuances that I'm talking about. It's not simply as cut & dried as DAWG61's post might indicate, at least as far as it concerns my post.

There were play calls that made drives less likely to continue. Sometimes, we'd go for the big play on 1st down and run up the middle on second down. You've got to mix it up, but I do remember thinking more than once how I wished that sequence were reversed. I do think LP did a lot of good things at RB. We have a back who averaged 6 ypc, but that's not going to happen with a back who touches the ball as much as LP did. I am a strong advocate that running up the middle is key to winning, so I guess that influenced me to say what I did. Some fans think that every play has to be positive, but I see a football game as a long and arduous journey. The score at the end of the fourth quarter is the one that matters.

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 01:10 PM
There were play calls that made drives less likely to continue. Sometimes, we'd go for the big play on 1st down and run up the middle on second down. You've got to mix it up, but I do remember thinking more than once how I wished that sequence were reversed. I do think LP did a lot of good things at RB. We have a back who averaged 6 ypc, but that's not going to happen with a back who touches the ball as much as LP did. I am a strong advocate that running up the middle is key to winning, so I guess that influenced me to say what I did. Some fans think that every play has to be positive, but I see a football game as a long and arduous journey. The score at the end of the fourth quarter is the one that matters.

Sounds like we agree. I am not against running it up the middle, or running a play to set up another, regardless of yards gained on the set-up play. But what Dan did last year with Perk went WAY beyond that. It looked to me like Dan was trying to be too clever, sometimes calling that play back-to-back, etc, as if he figured there was NO WAY the defense would ever expect us to call a play that had proven to be unsuccessful pretty much every other time we ran it, AND we'd run it multiple times already.

I also think Perk was a great back for us, but that Mullen misused him last year.

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Sounds like we agree. I am not against running it up the middle, or running a play to set up another, regardless of yards gained on the set-up play. But what Dan did last year with Perk went WAY beyond that. It looked to me like Dan was trying to be too clever, sometimes calling that play back-to-back, etc, as if he figured there was NO WAY the defense would ever expect us to call a play that had proven to be unsuccessful pretty much every other time we ran it, AND we'd run it multiple times already.

I also think Perk was a great back for us, but that Mullen misused him last year.

That's been the worst thing about DM, the way he outsmarts himself. Hopefully, he's seasoned beyond that now.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
if Bell cant hit the short ones then no way Mullen will let him try the longer ones ... don't you remember last year going for it so many times on 4th down as opposed to kicking? ... it got so bad that Dan would even go for it instead of kicking the "chippies"

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I'd like to know who the two are that voted for RB and what their rationale for it is.

It's Coach34 and 2 of his additional usernames if I had to guess.

He thinks that our OL is our best EVAH, and that the "consensus" is that we have more to worry about at RB than at OL.

This poll was really just to show him how ridiculous he was acting. And I would say 49-3 has pretty much taken care of my point. Consensus among people that know MSU football, is that we are more concerned about the OL going in to this season. It shouldn't have taken a poll to get this point across, but some guys are hardheaded

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2014, 01:41 PM
if Bell cant hit the short ones then no way Mullen will let him try the longer ones ... don't you remember last year going for it so many times on 4th down as opposed to kicking? ... it got so bad that Dan would even go for it instead of kicking the "chippies"

I'm saying that Bell may have got it worked out. Maybe not. Regardless though, if we need 50 plus he's probably got to be the guy. It looked like a confidence problem to me.

blacklistedbully
07-30-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm saying that Bell may have got it worked out. Maybe not. Regardless though, if we need 50 plus he's probably got to be the guy. It looked like a confidence problem to me.

McGrath, the transfer from Michigan, hit 3 over 50 yards in high school.

BulldogBear
07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Saw Brian Hazelwood today. Wonder if he's got any eligibility left?***

Saltydog
07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
nt

Coach34
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
It's Coach34 and 2 of his additional usernames if I had to guess.

He thinks that our OL is our best EVAH, and that the "consensus" is that we have more to worry about at RB than at OL.

This poll was really just to show him how ridiculous he was acting. And I would say 49-3 has pretty much taken care of my point. Consensus among people that know MSU football, is that we are more concerned about the OL going in to this season. It shouldn't have taken a poll to get this point across, but some guys are hardheaded

Fans are fans and will always think they know better. Doesn't make them right.

My point- which I showed correctly- is that our OL is viewed by the rest of the SEC as pretty good. As it should be- it is. The consensus from outside our fan base- from people that look at us more objectively- is that we have a lot to prove at RB- much more so than the OL. And they are correct.

Shumpert hasnt done shit in college football
Nick Griffin stays hurt
Aeris Williams hasn't even practiced yet

To act like we are set at RB- especially if JRob were lost for the season in Game 1- is laughable. What if Griff can't make cuts necessary? What if Shump is too slow? What if Aeris has trouble blocking, picking up blitzes, and fumbles a good bit?

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 04:31 PM

My point- which I showed correctly- is that our OL is viewed by the rest of the SEC as pretty good. As it should be- it is. The consensus from outside our fan base- from people that look at us more objectively- is that we have a lot to prove at RB- much more so than the OL. And they are correct.

Nick Griffin stays hurt

To act like we are set at RB- especially if JRob were lost for the season in Game 1- is laughable. What if Griff can't make cuts necessary? What if Shump is too slow? What if Aeris has trouble blocking, picking up blitzes, and fumbles a good bit?

52-3

You must be forgetting that you are a "fan" too. Just because you have Coach in your username, doesn't make you more objective, or not "just a fan". If I change my username to AD23, I'm not suddenly an objective Athletic Director and not a fan of MSU

Saltydog
07-30-2014, 04:41 PM
these "what if's" with our OL? Absolutley we could but you are correct in that I've read several articles suggesting we must replace Perkins, yada, yada, yada. and our backfield isn't set.

Coach34
07-30-2014, 04:51 PM
these "what if's" with our OL? Absolutley we could but you are correct in that I've read several articles suggesting we must replace Perkins, yada, yada, yada. and our backfield isn't set.

Not near a much on the OL- we have 5 different guys that have started football games there. We don't have near that kind of experience at RB. We lose JRob and our backfield could be in ****ing trouble- we actually have at least 8 guys that can play on the OL

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Not near a much on the OL- we have 5 different guys that have started football games there. We don't have near that kind of experience at RB. We lose JRob and our backfield could be in ****ing trouble- we actually have at least 8 guys that can play on the OL

JRob, Griffin, Shumpert, Holloway, Williams, Lee, etc. we are good to go at RB. Not to mention our leading rusher at QB. Silly debate is silly

State82
07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
It would be a very rare situation where I was ever more concerned about our RBs than our OL.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing and I don't remember a year when that would have been the case.

Dawg61
07-30-2014, 05:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g1Q8Fd7.gif

which one is C34 and which one is Cadaver?

FISHDAWG
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM

Nick Griffin stays hurt

if the OL is so great it shouldn't matter who is running the ball

Dawgcentral
07-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Nick Griffin, although hurt, has averaged 5.9 YPC over his career.

I think he's going to surprise some folks this year.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Nick Griffin, although hurt, has averaged 5.9 YPC over his career.

I think he's going to surprise some folks this year.

I do too. When healthy, he is a beast. Please let us see the diamond with JRob, Griffin, Shump, and Dak

Coach34
07-30-2014, 10:14 PM
JRob, Griffin, Shumpert, Holloway, Williams, Lee, etc. we are good to go at RB. Not to mention our leading rusher at QB. Silly debate is silly

JRob? He is a beast- I give you him. We lose him? Our ass is in trouble
Griffin? Name the last college RB with 2 ACL surgeries that was a force?
Shumpert? Tough runner- quickness concerns
Hollway? I've taken dumps bigger than him. He is a no-factor at RB
Williams- true freshman. Who was the last true freshman impact RB? And playing in the Spread is alot harder than being an I-TB. Lots more responsibilty
Lee? He is a LB not a RB

Only thing silly is your stupidity on this issue

TexasDawg
07-30-2014, 11:00 PM
JRob? He is a beast- I give you him. We lose him? Our ass is in trouble
Griffin? Name the last college RB with 2 ACL surgeries that was a force?
Shumpert? Tough runner- quickness concerns
Hollway? I've taken dumps bigger than him. He is a no-factor at RB
Williams- true freshman. Who was the last true freshman impact RB? And playing in the Spread is alot harder than being an I-TB. Lots more responsibilty
Lee? He is a LB not a RB

Only thing silly is your stupidity on this issue

Well as far as true freshman RB's go, 6 have rushed for 1000 yards in the past 10 years in the SEC
2005 McFadden 1113 yards
2010 Lattimore 1197 yards
2010 Dyer 1093 yards
2012 Gurley 1385 yards
2012 Yeldon 1108 yards
2013 Collins 1026 yards

So the last true freshman impact RB in the SEC was last year

CadaverDawg
07-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Well as far as true freshman RB's go, 6 have rushed for 1000 yards in the past 10 years in the SEC
2005 McFadden 1113 yards
2010 Dyer 1093 yards
2012 Gurley 1385 yards
2012 Yeldon 1108 yards
2013 Collins 1026 yards

Good post. Looks like Coach is being proven wrong left and right on this issue. Bet these threads won't get bumped for reference much over the next few years*

Coach34
07-31-2014, 07:06 AM
2005 McFadden 1113 yards
2010 Dyer 1093 yards
2012 Gurley 1385 yards
2012 Yeldon 1108 yards
2013 Collins 1026 yards

Excuse me Sir- I meant at State

TexasDawg
07-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Excuse me Sir- I meant at State

Well then

2006 Dixon was the leading rusher on the team with 668 yards and 9 TD's
2010 Perkins had 813 combined rushing/receiving yards to go along with 6 TD's

Coach34
07-31-2014, 09:01 AM
Well then

2006 Dixon was the leading rusher on the team with 668 yards and 9 TD's
2010 Perkins had 813 combined rushing/receiving yards to go along with 6 TD's

So all you could come up with is an NFL caliber RB who was a I tailback and a redshirt- let me repeat- a redshirt freshman? I think I proved my point. We've have 1 true freshman RB make an impact in the last 10+ years and he is in the NFL now

TexasDawg
07-31-2014, 09:11 AM
So all you could come up with is an NFL caliber RB who was a I tailback and a redshirt- let me repeat- a redshirt freshman? I think I proved my point. We've have 1 true freshman RB make an impact in the last 10+ years and he is in the NFL now

So first you wanted to know the last impact true frosh RB, then the last impact true frosh RB at state, and now the last impact true frosh RB at State who didn't make the NFL?

Coach34
07-31-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm just simply pointing out that it's very few true freshman at State that have handled the load. It takes a special player. Could Aeris be that guy? We don't know and hopefully won't have to find out.

It comes down to this for me:

we KNOW that Clausell, Malone, Day, Beckwith, and Clayborn can play. Senior and Robinson are decent back-ups. Flowers is a question mark.

We KNOW that JRob can play. Shump looked decent in very limited work. Griffin and Williams are question marks.

I feel good about the OL. I feel good about RB as long as JRob is healthy. If he gets hurt- lots more questions to be answered at RB

EdDawg
07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Well let's play the what if game with the OL... What if Clausell goes down for the season(I hope not)? Who plays then? If you are saying this is our best line since Dan has been here, someone decent should be able to step up and play. I believe 2010 was our best in Dan's tenure. We had a great LT and Addison was probably the worst of the bunch and he was a decent SEC starter.

EdDawg
07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
I am worried about the RT position not the entire line. If Malone fills that position and does an above average job then I think we are set, but if Robinson is penciled in as the starter then we are going to struggle.

That may seem harsh, but I tried to keep my eye on Robinson in the spring game since that was the position of most concern. Several times I saw him make initial contact with the end, let him go, and the end would be in on the tackle ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD.

I share concerns with others about the kicking game. The one question I have is about Bell and since I have never spent much time around kickers I'm not sure how this will sound. Could his problem be his height? Seems like the taller a kicker is the longer the leg swing and greater the percentage for having bad mechanics.

sandwolf
07-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Well let's play the what if game with the OL... What if Clausell goes down for the season(I hope not)? Who plays then? If you are saying this is our best line since Dan has been here, someone decent should be able to step up and play. I believe 2010 was our best in Dan's tenure. We had a great LT and Addison was probably the worst of the bunch and he was a decent SEC starter.

Justin Senior will back up Clausell. And he has proven to be a capable player......he played a pretty fair amount last year without anyone really noticing that he had come into the game. Engie has posted the specifics on the number of snaps he got at LT a couple of times.

EdDawg
07-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Why is senior not getting a look at RT? Not arguing that he has looked capable, yes I vaguely remember him playing.

Coach34
07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Because we are going to put Malone at RT and he has draft pick potential

RiverCityDawg
07-31-2014, 04:50 PM
we KNOW that Clausell, Malone, Day, Beckwith, and Clayborn can play.

We do not yet KNOW that Malone can play RT. Based on his size and feet most of us think he can, but so far in his life he's played two years of academy ball an one year of RG where he platooned with Smith and looked average. Yes, I know he was just a RFr, but again, that's all we've actually seen and can go on.

If Malone, for whatever reason, doesn't work out we're looking at Robinson who seemed improved in the spring, but so far in games as been subpar.

I THINK Malone will be solid which will make our O Line solid. We KNOW JRob will be good, and at this point we've seen more from Griffin proving he can provide solid depth at RB than we've seen from Malone proving he can start at RT in the SEC. In my mind, that is why OLine is a bigger question mark.