PDA

View Full Version : The Difference between winning 7 and winning 10+

tcdog70
07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
It ain't the OL or our Defense. It is our special teams. I think we are up to snuff on Offense and Defense, but Our special teams have never been SPECIAL. What is anyone hearing about a possible improvement on STs.

When was the last time we Won a game because of Special Team play? We have durn sure lost some because of shitty special Teams. We don't have to have a superstar FG kicker just one that is 80% from 35 yards and can kick one in the clutch. I think our punter will be fine, just hope we can cover the punt. How about blocking a FG or a Punt sometimes? Has a Dan ST ever blocked a KICK?

It would also be great to have a Kicker to have the Ability to kick a touch back . For the Dogs to win 9-10 games we must improve our Special Teams.

thf24
07-29-2014, 01:28 PM
How about blocking a FG or a Punt sometimes? Has a Dan ST ever blocked a KICK?

Quite a few actually. Our defensive special teams have been great the past few years despite having some issues with kick coverage prior to that.

As for touch backs, Bell supposedly has the leg to do it consistently; apparently Dan likes to try to kick it at the goal line to try to pin them as far behind the 25 as possible. But that's always seemed like playing with fire to me, and I'd rather us just kick it out of the end zone if we have the capability.

Other than those points, I completely agree. Our field goal kicking has never been more than average under Dan, and if it's anything like it's been the last two years, it will likely be the cause of some big disappointments this season. Hopefully delegating special teams to Knox and bringing in McGrath are the answers to the problem.

HoopsDawg
07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Questions on Defense: Pass rush? Can the front 4, particularly the edge guys get to the QB without us having to blitz. Can our safeties make some big time plays?

Questions on Offense: Can Justin Malone recover from the major injury he suffered last year and learn a new position in time to be a better than adequate RT? Can anyone push Beckwith at RG? And can a take the top of the defense WR emerge to compliment Tubby in the slot. Especially the spot opposite Bear Wilson.

The only question for me on Special teams is the kicker. Devon Bell is a good punter and KO guy. The kid from Mich, McGrath, needs to win that job. And Mullen needs to not settle for FG's whenever possible. Urban kicked very few FG's Tebow's senior year.

maroonmania
07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
There were a few times last year I jokingly called them our Special Needs Teams.

starkvegasdawg
07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Now you're just being greedy. Next I bet you will ask for Alabama to get called for holding in a close game or Auburn to have to get at least 10 yards for a first down. Here at Mississippi State we hold our breath on extra points and punts and we like it. We love it! None of that flippity flam solid special teams play for us. No sir. On our team if the ball just gets off the ground on a kick we cheer. Makes no difference if it is straight or not.

DawgInMemphis
07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
When was the last time we Won a game because of Special Team play?

Last I remember was Pegues in his last Egg Bowl.

Offshore Dawg
07-29-2014, 01:48 PM
I remember last year my wife commenting just before the Dawgs were to receive a punt "I hope he runs it back". My answer was I hope he does not fumble it. The guy next to me said, she doesn't watch State play much does she. I had to agree with him.

tcdog70
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I do remember us blocking a FG against Okie St and running it back to the end zone--almost

bluelightstar
07-29-2014, 07:37 PM
When was the last time we Won a game because of Special Team play? We have durn sure lost some because of shitty special Teams. We don't have to have a superstar FG kicker just one that is 80% from 35 yards and can kick one in the clutch. I think our punter will be fine, just hope we can cover the punt. How about blocking a FG or a Punt sometimes? Has a Dan ST ever blocked a KICK?

Bumphis's punt return against LA Tech proved to be a much-needed six points.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Even though we missed the game winner against Ole Miss last year....we DID get a game tying FG that was pretty huge. I had already convinced myself that we would miss that FG, and was stunned when we made it.

Coach34
07-29-2014, 09:36 PM
We dont kickoff into the end zone on purpose. We dont want to just give a team the 25 yd line