PDA

View Full Version : 5 roster spots just opened

PassInterference
07-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Arrington, Bohanna, 3 frosh gone.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2014/07/28/arrington-bohanna-no-longer-on-mississipp-state/13298395/

starkvegasdawg
07-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Well shit. Indians getting an early start.

FISHDAWG
07-28-2014, 07:17 PM
link wont let me read without subscribing ... what happened to Arrington & Bohanna ... & who were the freshmen ?

preachermatt83
07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
meh... all that was pretty much expected.

preachermatt83
07-28-2014, 07:19 PM
link wont let me read without subscribing ... what happened to Arrington & Bohanna ... & who were the freshmen ?

Durr, Peirce, and harris... Bohanna and dee are both still recovering.

starkvegasdawg
07-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Freshmen were Durr, Ravian Peirce, and Jordan Harris. Did say they may be able to be eligible by opening day. Comes down to summer school I guess.

Arrington and Bohanna are still recovering from injuries.

MetEdDawg
07-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Bohanna still hasn't recovered from his two concussions last year. Arrington has a hamstring and it still hasn't recovered. Those things can be pesky and definitely affect people in different ways. Can be weeks or months. The freshmen are Harris and Durr who both have enrolled in JUCO, and Pierce, who I think is still working to get eligible but won't be on the 105 man. I would love him to make it because it sounds like he's been putting in a ton of work.

Leroy Jenkins
07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Thats 6 with Simpson.

RC3
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I remember seeing bohana in a spring game several years ago and being really impressed. Thought he may really develop into a player for us. Rough run of luck for that kid

Does this in any way affect how many we can sign this year? Because seems to me that our numbers are getting tight. Looks like all five will retain their potential spots with the team

The Croom Diaries
07-28-2014, 07:25 PM
This is all 100% expected. Bohanna will probably never play again, and I would probably say the same for Dee. Jordan Harris we've known wasn't going to make it since Mullen said as much on NSD. Durr we've known for a while as well. Pierce was never expected to make it but he's worked hard and has given himself a chance.

Jacksondevildog
07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Agreed. This was all expected. Anyone that frequents this board has seen this mentioned multiple times.

The Croom Diaries
07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
I remember seeing bohana in a spring game several years ago and being really impressed. Thought he may really develop into a player for us. Rough run of luck for that kid

Does this in any way affect how many we can sign this year? Because seems to me that our numbers are getting tight. Looks like all five will retain their potential spots with the team

We will sign 31-32, this doesn't really affect that.

We needed to make room on the roster and have. Jordan Washington, Derrick Milton, Jeremey Chappelle and Artimus Samuel have left the team for one reason or another. With Durr and Harris going juco that gives us the room to keep Bohanna and Dee on scholly. They should get a medical hardship though and that won't count against the 85 next year.

Todd4State
07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

If my math is correct, it should mean that we get to add two spots to this year's class.

CadaverDawg
07-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Yea, the headline looks bad, but zero of the freshmen would have seen a snap, and Bohanna and Dee have never been healthy for long. Nothing unexpected

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
This is all 100% expected. Bohanna will probably never play again, and I would probably say the same for Dee. Jordan Harris we've known wasn't going to make it since Mullen said as much on NSD. Durr we've known for a while as well. Pierce was never expected to make it but he's worked hard and has given himself a chance.

Yep, not a big deal. Bohanna & Dee are probably done. It sucks, but it's been talked about a lot since last fall. Definitely knew Harris & Durr weren't making it. Pierce will be close, so we'll see. We'll place Harris & Durr in all likelihood and re-sign them in '17. Same for Pierce if he winds up not making it. No need to freak out or blame the Dead Indians yet.

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
We will sign 31-32, this doesn't really affect that.

We needed to make room on the roster and have. Jordan Washington, Derrick Milton, Jeremey Chappelle and Artimus Samuel have left the team for one reason or another. With Durr and Harris going juco that gives us the room to keep Bohanna and Dee on scholly. They should get a medical hardship though and that won't count against the 85 next year.

I'd assume we'll process them via a medship, like Saban does. We've done it before, anyway. If that's what you're saying and I just didn't quite get it, my bad.

ShotgunDawg
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
What's sad about this is that some completely uninformed media member will use this as a reason to lower our ranking or something.

Barking 13
07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
What's sad about this is that some completely uninformed media member will use this as a reason to lower our ranking or something.

nm

hailmari
07-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Was Washington officially kicked-off? I would assume so, but I just missed it becoming official.

There's also Cooper that's bordering on qualifying or not.

PassInterference
07-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm still sick that Samuel is gone. He was a good one.

The Croom Diaries
07-29-2014, 06:02 AM

Yes, and Bonner is a completely uninformed media member as well. Considering his story is factually inaccurate because Harris and Durr have already enrolled in juco.

There was a thread last week where someone called called me ignorant for saying Bonner was an idiot. Well, to whoever that was, this is the kind if lazy crap I was talking about.

PassInterference
07-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Bonner is one guy. No one guy is going to be more informed than the collective knowledge of 1,800 Elitedawgs.

Johnson85
07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
What was Harris's deal and Durr's deal. I remember Pierce (the TE that we picked up out of Florida that was a known grade risk from the beginning).

What about Harris and Durr? Saw Harris was an OL. Hate to lose any OL but were they highly thought of? And are they going JUCO for sure or still trying to get eligible?

thf24
07-29-2014, 08:33 AM
What about Harris and Durr? Saw Harris was an OL. Hate to lose any OL but were they highly thought of? And are they going JUCO for sure or still trying to get eligible?

I think we've known for quite some time both of them were JUCO-bound.

The Croom Diaries
07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Bonner is one guy. No one guy is going to be more informed than the collective knowledge of 1,800 Elitedawgs.

Well, I'll put it this way.

Bonner vs. me.

He is a full-time beat writer for MSU, I am a blogger for hobby.

He doesn't know this, I do.

He is reporting on this way behind me. Wouldn't you expect the MSU beat writer for the largest newspaper in Mississippi to be better at reporting news than me.

Here I discuss Bohanna and Dee not returning: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/25/artimus-samuel-longer-msu/

Here I discuss Harris and Durr going Juco, and Pierce's situation, plus Bohanna and Dee: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/12/jamoral-graham-cleared-play/

There are plenty more I just can't remember when I wrote about those guys.

engie
07-29-2014, 08:49 AM
What was Harris's deal and Durr's deal. I remember Pierce (the TE that we picked up out of Florida that was a known grade risk from the beginning).

Both are 100% surefire JUCO.

We feel that Harris is an elite OL that was never going to make it and whose grades prevented him from elite offers and attention from everywhere. Still had arguably the best offer sheet among OL in the Mullen era for a definite placement guy...

maroonmania
07-29-2014, 08:51 AM
So is it still a sit and wait thing on Cooper? He seems to be the one guy that nobody knows whether he will be in or out.

Johnson85
07-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Both are 100% surefire JUCO.

We feel that Harris is an elite OL that was never going to make it and whose grades prevented him from elite offers and attention from everywhere. Still had arguably the best offer sheet among OL in the Mullen era for a definite placement guy...

Do we think Harris has any real commitment to State? Or will we basically be on a level playing field with everybody else in two years?

maroonmania
07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Do we think Harris has any real commitment to State? Or will we basically be on a level playing field with everybody else in two years?

Well I would certainly feel better about him if he had been willing to be placed at a MS JUCO.

sandwolf
07-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Well I would certainly feel better about him if he had been willing to be placed at a MS JUCO.

He is no longer going to Georgia Military College......he is enrolled at PRCC.

maroonmania
07-29-2014, 09:22 AM
He is no longer going to Georgia Military College......he is enrolled at PRCC.

Oh, well good news, I didn't realize that.

deltadawg99
07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Is there any word on Deshon Cooper?

I would love to get Pierce and Cooper on campus this year. I know they would redshirt, but it would be great to go ahead and get them in the program and acclimated to college and our program.

sandwolf
07-29-2014, 09:30 AM

Yea, apparently this just transpired. But per Steve, he is now enrolled at PRCC and was set to begin workouts yesterday.

Johnson85
07-29-2014, 10:21 AM

I get that we should have a better chance with him coming from JUCO, but wouldn't we otherwise prefer that he be in military school for eligibility reasons? We still have the risk that he will go somewhere else and we also lose two years of eligibility (and also end up with a guy that will run out of eligiblity when he's 22 rather than 23, and the OL is the area where that extra year of development seems to be the most important).

engie
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM
I get that we should have a better chance with him coming from JUCO, but wouldn't we otherwise prefer that he be in military school for eligibility reasons? We still have the risk that he will go somewhere else and we also lose two years of eligibility (and also end up with a guy that will run out of eligiblity when he's 22 rather than 23, and the OL is the area where that extra year of development seems to be the most important).

Georgia Military is a 2-year JUCO just like the ones in MS. They played EMCC in the national title game last year.

And your last statement is not necessarily true either. OL can still redshirt after 2 years in JUCO -- and do so periodically. Jocquell Johnson probably will this year...