PDA

View Full Version : Future plans for West side upper deck?

Lloyd Christmas
07-28-2014, 10:09 AM
One thing that irks me in the future plans for Davis Wade is that they don't seem to be planning to extend the upper deck on the west side so that it matches the East side upper deck. I feel like that should be the next project. I'm a stickler for symmetry and the difference between the two upper decks bugs the shit out of me (not to mention the lights). Am I alone in this?

messageboardsuperhero
07-28-2014, 10:14 AM
A renovation of the east side would be next if I was AD- it needs to be brought up to par with the West side/North endzone. Right now that side doesn't match and isn't first class like the rest of the stadium.

Lloyd Christmas
07-28-2014, 10:20 AM
A renovation of the east side would be next if I was AD- it needs to be brought up to par with the West side/North endzone. Right now that side doesn't match and isn't first class like the rest of the stadium.

I think you mean renovation of the West* side. East side is great. I'd also add that the best option might be to just tear down the old west side upper deck and rebiuld it to match the east.

Bark
07-28-2014, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't say you're alone but you're definitely in the minority. I think it's 1a) premium seating addition to the current 200 level on the west side 1b) east side lower level renovation.

The demand for premium seating is still there so adding skybox, club level and loge seating is a no brainer. I just don't see us adding any additional regular seating, especially upper deck, seating for the next 10+ years

starkvegasdawg
07-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Patience, Grasshopper. First the troughs...then the upper deck.

Lloyd Christmas
I wouldn't say you're alone but you're definitely in the minority. I think it's 1a) premium seating addition to the current 200 level on the west side 1b) east side lower level renovation.

The demand for premium seating is still there so adding skybox, club level and loge seating is a no brainer. I just don't see us adding any additional regular seating, especially upper deck, seating for the next 10+ years

I thought about that as well. So why don't we make the extension of the west side have built in seating?

I think you mean renovation of the West* side. East side is great. I'd also add that the best option might be to just tear down the old west side upper deck and rebiuld it to match the east.

Pretty sure he is talking about the bathrooms/concessions of the old East side stands - not the 2001 addition. Sections N through W.

http://mississippistate.tripod.com/scott_field_diagram.gif

ScoobaDawg
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Not really in the know concerning this, but It was always said premium seating is the demand and will continue to do. Thus converting the west side 100 and 200 level into club/skyboxes. The press box needs to be expanded and upgraded anyways.
After that, it will be time down in the south endzone. This would conceivably include replacing the original Dawgzillatron, remodeling or rebuilding the M-Club for a new lockerroom (remember the visitors are getting a brand new locker room in the north endzone) and create another large front door entrance to the stadium from the junction.

If symmetry drives you nuts... well just look at the stub of an upper deck in the endzone that I dont forsee ever being expanded... so we won't ever have a complete upper deck bowl.

ScoobaDawg
07-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Pretty sure he is talking about the bathrooms/concessions of the old East side stands - not the 2001 addition. Sections N through W.

Correct remember they just did a huge upgrade to the lower sections of the west side. Lower west side needs the same treatment...in time.

Political Hack
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
has the football field been centered yet?

codeDawg
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Not really in the know concerning this, but It was always said premium seating is the demand and will continue to do. Thus converting the west side 100 and 200 level into club/skyboxes. The press box needs to be expanded and upgraded anyways.
After that, it will be time down in the south endzone. This would conceivably include replacing the original Dawgzillatron, remodeling or rebuilding the M-Club for a new lockerroom (remember the visitors are getting a brand new locker room in the north endzone) and create another large front door entrance to the stadium from the junction.

If symmetry drives you nuts... well just look at the stub of an upper deck in the endzone that I dont forsee ever being expanded... so we won't ever have a complete upper deck bowl.

This is the right order. We don't, and probably won't have demand for lower tier seats for a long time. People just aren't spending at that level right now and demand is down across the country. Premium seating continues to be the revenue opportunity and we'll get that from the 200 level and expanding the new scoreboard club in time. I do not expect us to significantly expand the total number of seats we have for a very long time. We can, however, spend some money on the south endzone and facade so the stadium doesn't look like sh!t.

HoopsDawg
07-28-2014, 10:38 AM
We need to keep our capacity around 60K. You don't want to get any bigger than that.

And it's a college football stadium, not pro. Symmetry isn't that important as long as the sight lines are good. It's adds character and uniqueness to the stadium. Florida and LSU's field both have weird quirks but I think that makes them cool.

07-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Based off of this picture, I believe it has.

http://www.msubulldogclub.com/reseating/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/construction-updates/2014-07-14-18-24-17.jpg

engie
07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

That was done prior to the 2012 season, along with the new playing surface/drainage and the new fence/brick... Pictures of that process are available at the beginning of the expansion photo gallery at the bdc website.

engie
07-28-2014, 10:49 AM

This is the only part of the stadium truly designed to expand. When demand is there, we engineered it for another 22 skyboxes to stack, and it's going to build out a level and expand/wrap that upper deck to 5-7k seats...

engie
07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
One thing that irks me in the future plans for Davis Wade is that they don't seem to be planning to extend the upper deck on the west side so that it matches the East side upper deck. I feel like that should be the next project. I'm a stickler for symmetry and the difference between the two upper decks bugs the shit out of me (not to mention the lights). Am I alone in this?

The west side upper deck seats 5500. The east side seats 7000. Those season tickets go for $210/season. Expanded out to match the east, that only brings in a maximum of $315k/yr, and that's only if you sold out season tickets up there(which you wouldn't). It will take an awfully long time to pay off ~ $20million at $315k per, if you ever could. Point being -- it's just not fiscally responsible or feasible as a singular aspect of expanding.

Now, I agree with you that I'd love for it to ~ match the east. But we've got to get creative with how we make money on it in order for it to make sense. More on that later.

The lights are also a huge annoyance. Problem is -- the west side has the lights correct. It's the east that is the problem on those -- because LT pinched pennies and didn't have the east side built to support the light structures themselves, thus the lights coming up from the ground on poles at both ends...

I think when the time comes, there will be a feasibility/cost benefit study done on the west side mid/upper decks. For all I know, that study is already being done. It's a good chance that the most logical approach to the west side is the same approach LSU used with their original upper deck. Blow it up and start over from scratch. By the time this is necessary, we will have been swimming in money for awhile -- and will be past the point of halfassing things(we already are for the most part). Then you can build it to roughly match the east and build a press box up top, at which point we have a palace...

The thing about college stadiums is that they are never finished. I also agree with messageboardsuperhero -- the next thing has GOT to be an east concourse renovation. When I say next, I mean -- 2-3 years away max. Wouldn't be surprised to see us try to package that with the new sound system that will need to be installed after this season. People don't realize -- and they sure aren't highlighting it in the stadium pictures -- but there's a 10+ ft elevation shift from our new concourse on the west side and south endzone down to the east concourse. There's going to have to be a pretty significant stairway to transition from endzone to east side. That's going to seem incredibly half ass after walking around 2/3 of the brand new stadium concourse, before meeting the stairway and then seeing the outdated lower east side...

starkvegasdawg
07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
At some point I would like to see them close in the other end zone. Nothing major. Just wrapping the lower section around to where it meets the Leo Seal building would be fine by me. I would just like a completely enclosed stadium.

maroonmania
07-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Correct, the underneath concourse area for the East side with concessions and restrooms still sucks. Of course I guess that is reflected in the lower per seat purchase cost on the East side but it still should be brought up to the standard of the rest of stadium at some point.

messageboardsuperhero
07-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I was just talking about the concourse. I don't see sprucing up that concourse to match the west side/north endzone costing TOO much money- not saying it should be cheaply done, but it probably wouldn't set us back a tremendous amount. I was thinking pouring some more concrete to fix the elevation difference, renovating the bathrooms/concession stands, getting new signage, etc.

Bubb Rubb
07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
We need to keep our capacity around 60K. You don't want to get any bigger than that.

And it's a college football stadium, not pro. Symmetry isn't that important as long as the sight lines are good. It's adds character and uniqueness to the stadium. Florida and LSU's field both have weird quirks but I think that makes them cool.

My personal opinion is that the asymmetry looks great. The upper decks don't match, but they don't look *totally* mismatched, either. When the stadium is full, it looks pretty symmetrical all around.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-28-2014, 12:31 PM
I dont know about the next renovation, but the next "expansion / some sort of construction" will be the south end zone.

RAYn_Man
07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Will you be able to walk all the way around the stadium? As in east side to west side via new end zone section?

Bark
07-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes on the lower level concourse.

State82
07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
My personal opinion is that the asymmetry looks great. The upper decks don't match, but they don't look *totally* mismatched, either. When the stadium is full, it looks pretty symmetrical all around.

That's my personal opinion also. I love the asymmetrical look with regard to sporting venues. And when it comes to upper deck work on the west side, that will be some high dollar construction that I doubt will be necessary in the near or distant future.

ScoobaDawg
07-28-2014, 06:11 PM

SMALL MINDED MENTALITY.. I strongly disagree with this and believe we better keep the options open to build a 80k+ stadium. MSU is growing, the Golden Triangle is growing, and our teams are building a winning tradition that people will support. will we need a 80k+ stadium in the next 10 years? Highly unlikely, but if Dan keeps winning and throws in some truly special years and we better not be thinking short sighted and cap it at 60k.

Maroonthirteen
07-28-2014, 06:16 PM
It is obvious based on demand. The west side quarter and upper deck will be gone. We will rebuild to add a new press box and luxury boxes and new upper. Hopefully it will match the east side as much as possible.

I think we will be old old men before the Southend is built to match the north. With the current environment, I can see a renovation of the west upper to add new press box and luxury boxes. Then reduce seating in the lower sections with the additions of chairback seating. Maybe adding a section on either side to the south.