PDA

View Full Version : OT: MSU Take Over Gulf Park Campus?

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 09:30 PM
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/07/26/5714605/diane-c-peranich-time-to-switch.html

I think it would be great to expand the university's learning opportunities to the gulf coast. Interesting that Peranich thinks it could be in play.

SheltonChoked
07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
I hope Keenum jumps on this. It would be a great expansion of the university.

MaroonState
07-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Make it so!!

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/07/26/5714605/diane-c-peranich-time-to-switch.html

I think it would be great to expand the university's learning opportunities to the gulf coast. Interesting that Peranich thinks it could be in play.

Todd4State
07-27-2014, 11:02 PM
I hope Keenum jumps on this. It would be a great expansion of the university.

Me too. It seems like a natural fit for what MSU specializes in.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 11:21 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/ToastyQuackers/Tumblr/make-it-so.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/ToastyQuackers/media/Tumblr/make-it-so.jpg.html)

BeastMan
07-28-2014, 06:44 AM
As far as I can tell, no one ever liked Shelby Thames. Goodness she blasted Thames. It would be cool if a MSU could do this and push a marine biology program. That would really expand MSU's footprint on the coast

SheltonChoked
07-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Marine biology, naval architecture, ocean engineering, etc. All great programs to add. Or just a having a satellite campus in the states 2nd most populated region. The best sales point is that we are The Mississippi State University. Doing more for mississippi.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2014, 06:52 AM
It would be the right thing to do, but I suspect it would be very difficult to accomplish.

BeastMan
07-28-2014, 07:38 AM
It would be the right thing to do, but I suspect it would be very difficult to accomplish.

Ya. USM isn't just going to willfully give things away regardless if they haven't shown it the attention it deserves

Political Hack
07-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Ya. USM isn't just going to willfully give things away regardless if they haven't shown it the attention it deserves

if they're not paying attention to it as Peranich suggest, they may not care all that much. They won't even open day classes there. It's not a full time student campus. it's used a few hours a day. If State put some major programs into it, it would be a huge plus for Mississippi. hell, they could work with the CB base in Gulfport on the oven engineering degree. would be pretty cool to be partnered with them for classes/internships/work study/etc...

thunderclap
07-28-2014, 08:13 AM
I taught an adjunct class down there when in grad school. This was a few years before Katrina and the campus was pretty quaint and nice and classes were all day and night. At the time it functioned as its own little school but obviously it hasn't recovered from the storm. I think it has tons of potential.

SheltonChoked
07-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Not just the cb base. I'm sure Ingalls( or whatever it is called now) wouldn't love to have a naval arch/ ocean engineering university nearby.

Johnson85
07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
if they're not paying attention to it as Peranich suggest, they may not care all that much. They won't even open day classes there. It's not a full time student campus. it's used a few hours a day. If State put some major programs into it, it would be a huge plus for Mississippi. hell, they could work with the CB base in Gulfport on the oven engineering degree. would be pretty cool to be partnered with them for classes/internships/work study/etc...

They are paying attention to it. They are trying to make sure it doesn't cannibalize their Hattiesburg campus and programs. Having an MSU campus there would (correctly) be seen as a huge threat USM. They will fight tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't happen. I'm guessing Peranich is using this as a threat to make USM invest in the Coast. USM will invest some resources growing programs on the Coast to blunt attacks like this one. I'm sure coast leaders would rather MSU take it over because the competition between the Hattiesburg and Gulf Coast campuses will not go away, but that's probably not realistic politically.

And I'm also not sure what the correct role is for satellite campuses. We already know we have too many universities. I'm not sure we should be putting a satellite campus of any significance within an hour of a main campus.

dawgclub99
07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
No way this will happen. They just spent a ton of money building it back to its pre-Katrina state. Also there was recently a student protest about how unfair it is for Coast students to pay tge same tuition and not get the same benefits. It really made the new prez look bad. I dont see them turning it over to us after all of this.

Political Hack
07-28-2014, 09:38 AM
a satellite campus on the gulf that focuses on majors that need access to the gulf would seem relevant. USM uses it for teachers certificates and other small programs they can make a buck on with night classes. Real majors that need access to the ocean would be sort of cool...

BeastMan
07-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Real majors that need access to the ocean would be sort of cool...

Post grad marine biology has to do it there. My brother did that program at USM.

Political Hack
07-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Post grad marine biology has to do it there. My brother did that program at USM.

I know you'd hate to have to go fishing for class, but it could work...