PDA

View Full Version : Braves fans - Mike Minor.....

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Minor looked good today. Went 6.2, 6K, 3 ER. 2 were on solo shots, but that's Mike. The 3rd came in after he'd left and Varvaro allowed the inherited runner to score. I'm pretty pleased with his performance today. Looked like he's figured some things out and it's something to build on moving forward. We really need him to get it together these last 2 months to have a chance at the division and/or a WC slot.

Saltydog
07-27-2014, 06:35 PM
all the time recently, he just can't put it all together and he's got good stuff.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
TBD IMO, but if he has one more meltdown I'd ask him to work his kinks out in Gwinnett.

msstate7
07-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Step in the right direction. He still gave up 8 hits and a walk in 6.2. He did limit damage and gave us chance to win though. Hopefully he'll build on this game and do even better against the padres next weekend in the big park.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Step in the right direction. He still gave up 8 hits and a walk in 6.2. He did limit damage and gave us chance to win though. Hopefully he'll build on this game and do even better against the padres next weekend in the big park.

He scattered the hits, which is what pitchers are supposed to do. One walk in 6.2 is outstanding, hardly something to bitch about, especially considering his past performances this season. But we definitely agree it's a step in the right direction and something to build on. Definitely would like to see him look good in the cavern that's Petco Park.

msstate7
07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
He scattered the hits, which is what pitchers are supposed to do. One walk in 6.2 is outstanding, hardly something to bitch about, especially considering his past performances this season. But we definitely agree it's a step in the right direction and something to build on. Definitely would like to see him look good in the cavern that's Petco Park.

Yeah 1 walk is good. I was just adding it with hits to get 9 base runners in 6.2. After the way minor has pitched this year, I'm certainly not complaining

KB21
07-27-2014, 09:41 PM
The best article that I've read that details what Mike Minor has been plagued with this year.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2014/7/25/5928527/diagnosing-mike-minor

I do think it is interesting that his release point is higher this year than it was last year.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4801758/Screen_Shot_2014-07-22_at_9.31.12_PM_medium.png

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Hell of a find, KB. Lots of interesting points. Definitely makes you wonder what's going on with his release point. I actually like the forward angle better than the one you pasted. It's easier to see the difference. Just spitballing here, but when they mentioned Minor's back being not as straight and solid as last season, it makes me wonder if he isn't dragging his arm behind a little, leading to some of the location issues.

MetEdDawg
07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
The best article that I've read that details what Mike Minor has been plagued with this year.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2014/7/25/5928527/diagnosing-mike-minor

I do think it is interesting that his release point is higher this year than it was last year.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4801758/Screen_Shot_2014-07-22_at_9.31.12_PM_medium.png

Nice find. One of two things here. His back could be the issue like WMD mentioned. If his lower back isn't right, he flexibility would be down and he might not be able to follow all the way through and leaving the ball up. Second thing, which I think might be more likely, is that his shoulder still isn't 100%. He had some pretty crappy rehab starts before he came back up and I'm not totally convinced that he was back to normal before being brought back up.

My problem is that as Braves fans we have to deal with ups and downs with Minor. But even after his start yesterday he gave up 2 homers. This year he has a 5.23 ERA, has given up 16 HRs for an average of 1.5 HR/9 IP, has a .306 OBA, a WHIP of 1.56, and 118 hits allowed for an average of 11.4 hits/9 innings. I mean these are dreadful numbers and he's on pace to destroy his career season highs in all of those stats without even pitching a full season.

I'm very concerned with him and I'm really hoping he can truly turn it around because what he's doing this year is not something that keeps a guy on a major league staff long term. He's only 26 so he's got a lot of career ahead of him, but he's going to have to work through some mechanics if he wants to be a better than .500 pitcher for his career. He's currently at 36-30 for those wondering.

msstate7
08-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah Uhhh... Minor is terrible. He has options. Send em down ASAP