PDA

View Full Version : Our WR position

CadaverDawg
07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
I just rewatched the Spring Game because I'm desperate for football, and I was overly impressed with our WR's. In the past we couldn't even get separation in the spring game, much less an actual game....but we had guys getting open, and making tough catches in traffic.

We know DeRunnya, RoJo, and Jameon will be our Top 3 going into the season....but Fred Ross, Fred Brown, and Gabe Myles look like 3 guys that could get valuable minutes and be big players before their careers are over at MSU. And while I'm extremely hard on Morrow, he is just now going in to his Junior year, so he still has time to become a utilized WR for us.

All in all, I am just excited to not only have the talent we have at WR right now, but the depth and Coaching we have at WR. With these weapons outside combined with Dak and JRob in the backfield...we are going to be a headache to deal with for D-Coordinators.

The only thing I disliked in the game, was Holloway getting too many carries up the middle.

And one thing to point out....Fitzgerald is going to have an awful lot to say about the QB position after Dak leaves. I know everyone tends to pencil Staley in as the heir apparent, but not me. Don't be surprised if Fitzgerald progresses into a top QB in this league in a few years. Remember, many of these stud WR's will be Juniors and Seniors for Fitzgerald or Staley....and I just see a lot of promise in Fitzgerald. Staley better be ready for a battle is all I'm saying. He may win it, and regardless we look to be set for several years at QB IMO.

msstate7
07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Williams may not be ready to just be leapfrogged either. I lean towards fitz and staley too, but don't sleep on Damian

FISHDAWG
07-27-2014, 03:54 PM
seems like somebody is always used out of place ... looks like this year it will be Holloway

CadaverDawg
07-27-2014, 03:59 PM
seems like somebody is always used out of place ... looks like this year it will be Holloway

Yep. We used him a few times out of the backfield catching swing passes in the open field...I loved that. But handing it off to him on anything but a sweep is useless IMO.

thunderclap
07-27-2014, 04:01 PM
After last year, I honestly don't know if I can take watching Holloway run between the tackles. My dog better run and hide if it happens.

smootness
07-27-2014, 04:03 PM

I think he's in the right place, we just need to run the right plays for him.

But I think the spring game had to do with us just seeing if he could be a home run hitter up the middle and to keep from running our other RBs in that game.

I wouldn't be too worried about us giving him the ball much. We're not going to give him carries over Robinson, Griffin, Shumpert, or Williams.

Coach34
07-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Williams may not be ready to just be leapfrogged either. I lean towards fitz and staley too, but don't sleep on Damian

Damien is a QB and a winner. He will always be tough to beat simply because that is who he is.
Fitz and Staley have more overall ability than Williams. We'll have to see if they have the other things necessary to be good QB's

Dawgowar
07-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Funny, with the thread about the 1980 team this week, this one comes up too. We have had better receivers than Young/Knight but I doubt we had a better tandem. My unproven theory remains, the year MSU gets two or more legitimate wideout threats that perform on all three downs is the year we breakthrough. (Assuming no defensive breakdown)

We have had McDole, Moulds, etc but be it scheme, execution, or overrated talent at the number 2 we just don't get it done. Hope this is the year we roll in the passing game.

sleepy dawg
07-27-2014, 04:29 PM
I have many worries this year (every year), but how we use Holloway is really the least of my worries this year. Holloway is not going to be a big part of our offense this year, especially in key games.

One of my worries, is definitely our passing game, so having really good receivers is going to be key for us. It's been a long time since we had solid wide receivers all the way around, if ever... decent, yes, but nothing great. We need them to be great. They need to be able to have more separation, less drops, and even win more possession battles this year. Overall, we have been weak in all those key assets of a receivers ability.

Barking 13
07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I have many worries this year (every year), but how we use Holloway is really the least of my worries this year. Holloway is not going to be a big part of our offense this year, especially in key games.

One of my worries, is definitely our passing game, so having really good receivers is going to be key for us. It's been a long time since we had solid wide receivers all the way around, if ever... decent, yes, but nothing great. We need them to be great. They need to be able to have more separation, less drops, and even win more possession battles this year. Overall, we have been weak in all those key assets of a receivers ability.

You mean like a Landry and Beckham?

Bothrops
07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Holloway is a scat back to get around the corners. If we can block on the roll he will be productive. My biggest fear is him holding on to the ball after impact.

DudyDawg
07-27-2014, 05:21 PM
I would like to see a lot of two receiver sets with Bear and Jameon (Fred Ross some, too) outside and either two backs on either side of Dak and Malcolm at TE or a diamond in the backfield like OU has done a lot of recently. I think that could cause a lot of trouble on the ground and open up some deep posts and routes downfield.

bulldawg28
07-27-2014, 05:42 PM
It was the spring game which is vanilla as you can get. Holloway receiving a hand off more than 3 times in a game won't happen once the fall arrives. It only happens if it's a blowout and the coaches are running 5-10 plays to end the game.

Homedawg
07-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Our best trio was olanda truitt, willie Harris, and Eric moulds!

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Yep. We used him a few times out of the backfield catching swing passes in the open field...I loved that. But handing it off to him on anything but a sweep is useless IMO.

To be fair, Shump was supposed to be RB for the White Team. But he went out hurt after the 1st series, leaving Holloway as essentially the only back for that team. As for the logic of running him up the middle, it isn't for short yardage power, obviously. It's essentially supposed to be a quick hitter that gets him into the 2nd or 3rd level where all he has to do is make 1 guy miss, then be off to the races. Sort of a "shortest distance between two points is a straight line" idea, so to speak. But yes, I totally understand the frustration after watch LDP try it and get stuffed for 2 seasons. But I think the difference is our coaches actually expected LDP to get tough yards inside. No one in their right mind expects it from Holloway.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 07:29 PM
I think he's in the right place, we just need to run the right plays for him.

But I think the spring game had to do with us just seeing if he could be a home run hitter up the middle and to keep from running our other RBs in that game.

I wouldn't be too worried about us giving him the ball much. We're not going to give him carries over Robinson, Griffin, Shumpert, or Williams.

Nailed it. I said a lot more trying to say this. Well done, smoot.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2014, 08:33 PM
We have a very good slot receiver in Jameon. Bear should be a solid weapon on one side. We need a playmaker to step up on the other side. RoJo is a solid possession receiver and a good blocker. But we need some speed opposite Bear to keep the safety deep. It's got to be either Fred Brown or Fred Ross. I think Fred Brown is our fastest receiver so hopefully he can step up.

The spring game means NOTHING. Chappelle looked like an All American last year in the spring game. Hargro looked like Randy Moss.

msstate7
07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
We have a very good slot receiver in Jameon. Bear should be a solid weapon on one side. We need a playmaker to step up on the other side. RoJo is a solid possession receiver and a good blocker. But we need some speed opposite Bear to keep the safety deep. It's got to be either Fred Brown or Fred Ross. I think Fred Brown is our fastest receiver so hopefully he can step up.

The spring game means NOTHING. Chappelle looked like an All American last year in the spring game. Hargro looked like Randy Moss.

Lewis showed out in the spring game last year and carried it into the year. Sometimes it shows up

HoopsDawg
07-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Lewis showed out in the spring game last year and carried it into the year. Sometimes it shows up

We already knew what Lewis could do. He has shown it in actual games. I actually expect Fred Ross to make a big jump this year.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 08:52 PM
It was the spring game which is vanilla as you can get. Holloway receiving a hand off more than 3 times in a game won't happen once the fall arrives. It only happens if it's a blowout and the coaches are running 5-10 plays to end the game.

correct. thank you.

FISHDAWG
07-28-2014, 08:40 AM
yep - keep Tubby in the slot driving the LB's crazy ... we have other wide outs that are just gonna have to step up

maroonmania
07-28-2014, 08:52 AM
yep - keep Tubby in the slot driving the LB's crazy ... we have other wide outs that are just gonna have to step up

Tubby is definitely a slot guy where his quickness and change of direction really shows up. Straight line speed is not his best asset.

Coach34
07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
And that quickness is what makes Tubby so effective in the middle of the field. He is tough to cover coming out of cuts because he is so damn quick. Cover guys can close back once the cut is made- but if we hit him right out if the cut- he really can't be covered by most people.

Political Hack
07-28-2014, 01:20 PM
And that quickness is what makes Tubby so effective in the middle of the field. He is tough to cover coming out of cuts because he is so damn quick. Cover guys can close back once the cut is made- but if we hit him right out if the cut- he really can't be covered by most people.

I have no clue why we stopped running option routes and squirrel routes with him late in the year last season. He can't be guarded.

chef dixon
07-28-2014, 06:11 PM
We already knew what Lewis could do. He has shown it in actual games. I actually expect Fred Ross to make a big jump this year.

Yes I agree. The guy that is going to make a name for himself this year should be Ross. I think he's extremely polished as a route runner for a young guy and I hope he gets plenty of reps this year to show out. We already know what we are getting from Morrow and R. Johnson, but they will definitely get a ton of snaps. I can't lie, I love it when Johnson trucks the opposing DB's but I would easily trade it for more consistency.