PDA

View Full Version : Happy HOF Day Braves Nation

BrunswickDawg
07-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Growing up in Metro ATL, the Braves were a huge part of my sports life. In the late 70s, no one could imagine the team of Dale Murphy (as a catcher who couldn't throw to the mound), Gary Matthews, Phil Niekro, Rick Camp, Jerry Royster, and Bob Horner would ever amount to anything other than second rate. Then Joe Torre came back (he'd played in ATL), and we won - but it was fleeting.

I never would have thought that the crapy lefty who got bombed as a rookie - then came to my HS with Bruce Sutter to have a clinic with our pitchers would be the best lefty of his generation. (Sorry we were such jerks to you that day Tommy - we were dumb kids).

Then Bobby Cox came back, and it all changed. 1991 was magical - and who could believe what we would see over the next 15 years.

If you had told me 35 years ago that I would see two Braves players and two Braves managers inducted into the Hall in one year - I would have laughed in your face. So, thank you Bobby and Joe. Thank you Greg and Tom. Good luck in '15 Smoltzy & Shef, and Chipper in '16. Go Braves!