PDA

View Full Version : 538 article on MLB managers

dickiedawg
07-27-2014, 09:33 AM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-managers-are-headed-to-the-hall-of-mediocrity/
This is pretty interesting. It says the vast majority of managers have little effect on how many games a team wins, making them all pretty much average.
There are outliers, like Bobby Cox, but in order to tell if a manager is above or below average takes 1,000 games and few are given that long.

KB21
07-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I think coaches are given a lot more credit than they deserve in all sports. To me, the bottom line is that luck and chance contributes the most to whether someone wins or loses. After that, skill level does the majority of the rest. Coaches probably have less than 10% effect on the outcome of the game overall.

TheRef
07-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I think coaches are given a lot more credit than they deserve in all sports. To me, the bottom line is that luck and chance contributes the most to whether someone wins or loses. After that, skill level does the majority of the rest. Coaches probably have less than 10% effect on the outcome of the game overall.

Cohen is to blame for everything. ******

DownwardDawg
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM

Wow