PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Post: EPL-MLS Friendlies (Curmudgeon Beware)...

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Dunno if any of you gents noticed, but the NY Red Bulls knocked off Arsenal today. Huge win for MLS. First friendly MLS has won this year against the EPL. Last I saw, Chicago FC & Tottenham were playing a tight game with the Hot Spurs ahead 1-nil.

DragonDawgZ
07-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Seattle sounders should have won if it wasn't for the bullsh call on yedlin. Gave the spurs the tying pk

ShotgunDawg
07-26-2014, 10:56 PM
LA Galaxy lost 7-0 to Man U, which is sad

Dawg61
07-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Dunno if any of you gents noticed, but the NY Red Bulls knocked off Arsenal today. Huge win for MLS. First friendly MLS has won this year against the EPL. Last I saw, Chicago FC & Tottenham were playing a tight game with the Hot Spurs ahead 1-nil.

MLS is only in its 20th year of existence and England has been playing "futbol" for forever. Pretty amazing how far MLS has come in two decades. Wonder what it'll look like after 2 more decades?

Charlie_Sheen420
07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
To be fair Arsenal was playing without all team members that went to the World Cup, but yes it is still a good thing for the MLS because it wasn't many years ago where the 2nd and 3rd string EPL players would throttle MLS starters. The MLS has made major strides and I hope it continues

dawgs
07-27-2014, 12:30 AM
MLS is only in its 20th year of existence and England has been playing "futbol" for forever. Pretty amazing how far MLS has come in two decades. Wonder what it'll look like after 2 more decades?

Clearly the fact the mls isn't the best soccer league in the world means all the hype about soccer's popularity growing is bullshit.

mstatefan91
07-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Clearly the fact the mls isn't the best soccer league in the world means all the hype about soccer's popularity growing is bullshit.

Why even come in and post this? This is very ignorant. The countries/leagues that are very good at soccer have been playing for years. They also have youth training programs. If football (USA style) was picked up in South America for example, would you think that they would be able to compete with our athletes in even 30 years? No. It takes years and years for a sport to gain popularity and for the best athletes to be identified and developed to compete on a world stage.

Also, the MLS struggles with keeping the best American players. The EPL and other European leagues get our better players but this happens in basketball as well. The best European basketball players come and play in the USA.

MaxedOutMaroon
07-27-2014, 06:14 AM

Straight up ignorance about sports. It amazes me how incompetent people are about other sports. Soccer is becoming big for the first time. MLS is a young league. Keep your posts in sports you know

AFDawg
07-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Straight up ignorance about sports. It amazes me how incompetent people are about other sports. Soccer is becoming big for the first time. MLS is a young league. Keep your posts in sports you know

Perhaps I'm misreading, but I think a couple of y'all need to adjust your sarcasmeters.

dawgs
07-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Not everything needs to be ******'d to be sarcasm guys. I like soccer and agree that it's growing pretty damn quick in America, and I'm excited to see how far it goes. My comment was making fun of all the haters that seem to forget that when a sport starts starts growing in popularity, you have roughly a 20-25 year delay in seeing that growth translate into talent on the field. The current group of Americans grew up during the American WC, which was really the beginning. Now we are starting to see the kids that grew up during the early stages of the MLS and increased WC success. In another 15-20 years we'll see the kids that were raised on heightened mls awareness, Donovan's 2010 goal, and increased euro coverage on espn and Internet streaming. The homegrown talent will always lag behind the awareness and popularity because an 18 year old getting into soccer isn't going to become a world class player. But his 6 year old little brother might. Couple that with declining football numbers due to rising costs and the concussion issue, and you have the recipe to see a sizable chunk of kids choosing soccer over football over the next 20 years. No, football isn't likely to disappear and doubtful soccer overtakes it, but even a 5-10% swing in kids choosing soccer over football as they grow up is a huge increase in the homegrown talent pool. Kids now see that they could make a career out of playing soccer.