PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Baseball Hall of Fame voting changes

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Before you had to be on the ballot 15 years before you dropped off the Baseball Writer's Association Ballot and then were eligible to be voted on by the Veteran's Committee. That has now changed to 10 years.

Also, potential voter's must sign of Code of Conduct form. That seems fair since the way they vote you would have to believe that they are holier than thou.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/baseball-hall-of-fame-changes-its-induction-rules?ymd=20140726&content_id=86398586&vkey=news_mlb

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-26-2014, 12:39 PM
The hall of fame is a joke. Almost as much as the rock n roll hall of fame.

msstate7
07-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Wonder if chipper makes it. Didnt get 3000 hits or 500 hr's. He did lead all switch hitters in rbi's though.

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Wonder if chipper makes it. Didnt get 3000 hits or 500 hr's. He did lead all switch hitters in rbi's though.

No need to wonder. He's likely in on the first ballot. Arguably the greatest switch hitter of all time. Very good defensively. Won a Championship. Career .300+ BA. He's in, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

And yes, the HoF is becoming a joke when guys like Bonds & McGwire may not get in. And we won't even talk about Dale Murphy.

KB21
07-26-2014, 02:33 PM
No need to wonder. He's likely in on the first ballot. Arguably the greatest switch hitter of all time. Very good defensively. Won a Championship. Career .300+ BA. He's in, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

And yes, the HoF is becoming a joke when guys like Bonds & McGwire may not get in. And we won't even talk about Dale Murphy.

The feared hitters from the mid early to mid 80s do not get the respect they deserve. This was before the live ball and steroid era.

shoeless joe
07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Chipper is more than likely first ballot for all reasons stated above. Don't forget he also won a batting title.

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Yes, Chipper should get in.

But to continue with the HOF is a joke theme (which I agree with) here is how Joe Voter Bayless thinks.

Well, Chipper didn't have 500 home runs or 3,000 hits. He also cheated on his wife, and I don't want to have to explain that to my son when he sees his plaque in Cooperstown. I also remember Chipper not getting along with Angel Hernandez and that was a display of poor sportsmanship. On top of that, he never beat the Yankees, which Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews did. So, no vote for Chipper.****

I placed sarcasterisks becuase I didn't want anyone to think that I was being serious, but at the same time, that's how these HOF voter's think.

Smitty
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Chip is 1st ballot no doubt.

I think the younger voters will eventually get it right regarding the 90's-early 2000's. Having only ten per ballot is another issue that will need to be addressed, especially now with less time available.

msstate7
07-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes, Chipper should get in.

But to continue with the HOF is a joke theme (which I agree with) here is how Joe Voter Bayless thinks.

Well, Chipper didn't have 500 home runs or 3,000 hits. He also cheated on his wife, and I don't want to have to explain that to my son when he sees his plaque in Cooperstown. I also remember Chipper not getting along with Angel Hernandez and that was a display of poor sportsmanship. On top of that, he never beat the Yankees, which Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews did. So, no vote for Chipper.****

I placed sarcasterisks becuase I didn't want anyone to think that I was being serious, but at the same time, that's how these HOF voter's think.

Nice post, Todd. I can see that too haha

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Chip is 1st ballot no doubt.

I think the younger voters will eventually get it right regarding the 90's-early 2000's. Having only ten per ballot is another issue that will need to be addressed, especially now with less time available.

Not to mention the ballot is STACKED right now. A couple of buddies & I were going over the names available to be voted on currently. There are a whole bunch of worthy candidates who may get shafted.

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Not to mention the ballot is STACKED right now. A couple of buddies & I were going over the names available to be voted on currently. There are a whole bunch of worthy candidates who may get shafted.

I think that's what a lot of this is about. The writer's have decided to punish steroid users, but most of them stay on the ballot because they can still get the 5% needed to stay on. And it's creating a logjam. At the same time that logjam is spreading out the votes along with the "gee how do I know he didn't use steroids" attitude that these writers have. This is a way to get deserving players in sooner.

I like my idea better. Eliminate the writer's vote and have a committee made up of HOF players, ex-players, announcers, writer's, etc. The players vote and opinion should carry more weight IMO. They have the most insight and probably the least bias of any group.

Saltydog
07-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Hard to believe some of the bands that aren't in the RnR HoF.

The Federalist Engineer
07-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Chipper Jones vs Derek Jeter vs Mike Schmidt
Comparing Chipper to a guy everybody likes 1st ballot and an actual first ballot HOF 3rd baseman

BA-.303 vs .311 vs .267 (basically even chipper and Jeter)
HR-468 vs 258 vs 548 (Schmidt had 80 more home runs than Chipper)
RBI-1623 vs 1288 vs 1506 (chipper)
OBP-.401 vs .374 vs .380 (chipper)
SLG-.529 vs .448 vs .526 (chipper and Schmidt basically tied)
AB 8984 vs 10977 vs 8352 (chipper more production in 2000 less at bats than Jeter)
Fielding .954 vs .976 vs .955 (Jeter with twice more opportunities in a marquee defensive position)

Stuff that makes fans love you
Delta BB to K +403 vs -737 vs -382 (chipper was a selective and disciplined power hitter)
RISP .300 vs .302 vs .256 (Jeter slightly better, but Chipper is much better than Schmidt)
RISP OBP .429 vs .397 vs .400 (chipper)

thf24
07-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Hard to believe some of the bands that aren't in the RnR HoF.

Harder to believe when you look at some of the "bands" that are.

Saltydog
07-26-2014, 08:05 PM
nt

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Comparing Chipper to a guy everybody likes 1st ballot and an actual first ballot HOF 3rd baseman

AB 8984 vs 10977 vs 8352 (chipper more production in 2000 less at bats than Jeter)
Fielding .954 vs .976 vs .955 (Jeter with twice more opportunities in a marquee defensive position)

Delta BB to K +403 vs -737 vs -382 (chipper was a selective and disciplined power hitter)
RISP .300 vs .302 vs .256 (Jeter slightly better, but Chipper is much better than Schmidt)

Great stuff BUT a lot of baseball people wouldn't like having Jeter in there as a comparison because he is a SS and he isn't a switch hitter. Schmidt was good though.

I hate to be critical because I know you put some work into that, and it is good, but I would have compared him to Brooks Robinson and Eddie Matthews instead of Jeter. Schmidt can stay. Mickey Mantle might be a good comp because he was a switch hitter.

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 09:21 PM

Like I said, Chipper is a lock to make it. It's just a matter of whether or not it will be first ballot. Should be, but who the hell really know with the clowns voting in the writers' association. Good work, by the way. Can't believe Chipper essentially dominated Schmidt.

Dawg61
07-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Why does Frank Thomas get voted in no problem at all 1st time ballot? I think Thomas deserves it but my point is that nobody ever questions wether he took steroids and to me he looks exactly like the type physically that would (and yes I'm aware he's always been big). Baseball HOF is an absolute joke. They are fine leaving guys out because they "think" they took steroids and voting other guys in because they "think" they didn't.

Quaoarsking
07-27-2014, 10:00 AM
There should be some kind of objective formula that determines who gets in rather than the whims of moron sportswriters.

smootness
07-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Why does Frank Thomas get voted in no problem at all 1st time ballot? I think Thomas deserves it but my point is that nobody ever questions wether he took steroids and to me he looks exactly like the type physically that would (and yes I'm aware he's always been big). Baseball HOF is an absolute joke. They are fine leaving guys out because they "think" they took steroids and voting other guys in because they "think" they didn't.

Thomas never struck me as a steroid guy. His size never changed, and his ability didn't suddenly skyrocket. And he was extremely outspoken against it and constantly pushed for stronger testing.

I'm unlike a lot of people my age in that I don't think anyone connected to steroids should get in.

But Chipper is an absolute no-doubt first ballot guy. It won't be all that close. His numbers are elite, he won, and voters now want so badly to vote guys like that in who never had a suspicion of steroid use. He's exactly what they're looking for. The total number of homers won't matter because he was a great all-around hitter.

Smitty
07-27-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm unlike a lot of people my age in that I don't think anyone connected to steroids should get in.

Whats your thoughts on the amphetamines of the 60's-80's

KB21
07-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Another thing with Chipper, there has never been any questions about him using PEDs.

TheRef
07-27-2014, 01:39 PM

Could be like Tony LaRussa who says that anyone who PLAYED in the steroid era (but may not have been suspected of use) should have an asterisk by their name for playing in the steroid era.

msstate7
07-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Pretty good. There not as good as meth, but ...*******

smootness
07-27-2014, 02:43 PM

That's a good question. Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about its use in baseball or the effects it would have and how it would help. That's not meant to be a cop-out, I just would have to know more about them.

I think anyone who used a banned or illegal substance for the purpose of gaining a competitive advantage should be out of the HoF.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 04:00 PM
babe ruth puts his pants on backwards and played tanked. I don't think Chipper's personal rivalry with a player or his personal indescretions will cost him. If they do, it's a hypocritical pile of you know what considering who they have in now.

I think Big Mac and Bonds and Sosa shouldn't be considered until they've passed away. They scared the game, but the fans deserve to hear that story IMO. They are a huge part of baseball history.

smootness
07-27-2014, 04:17 PM
babe ruth puts his pants on backwards and played tanked. I don't think Chipper's personal rivalry with a player or his personal indescretions will cost him. If they do, it's a hypocritical pile of you know what considering who they have in now.

I think Big Mac and Bonds and Sosa shouldn't be considered until they've passed away. They scared the game, but the fans deserve to hear that story IMO. They are a huge part of baseball history.

I think it should somehow be part of the HOF, I just don't think they should have plaques.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Scarred the game? They f'n SAVED the game. TV Viewership & attendance was in the gutter after the '94 players' strike. The Chase for Maris between McGwire and Sosa brought back the fans. Every Bonds AB was a must watch even for about 4 years. And let's be totally honest: The "Commissioner" and baseball people knew what was happening. They even encouraged it. Then they vilified the guys they used to save the game and feigned ignorance & outrage after the fact. The whole thing was ****ing bullshit. The HoF has never been about comparing players from past eras, as the talking heads have been wanting people to believe for years now. It was about being the best in your era, whatever that era was.

And for the record, Bonds was HoF material without a single steroid. Steroids can do a lot of things, but they aren't improving hand-eye coordination. And Bonds had some of the craziest hand-eye coordination you'll ever see on a baseball diamond, plus an insane feel for the strike zone. He didn't swing at bad pitches. Hell, he didn't swing at a pitch unless it was a pitch in HIS strike zone. The guy was a hitting freak. Also worth noting, Bonds only hit 50+ HRs once - the year he hit 73 in '01. He hit 46 HRs in '93, long before he was accused of doing steroids. 42 & 40 HRs in 96 & 97, respectively. He hit 49 in '00, which is when he's accused of starting to take 'roids. So really, there's only one year that's an outlier for him in terms of HRs. From '02-'04 he hit 46, 45, and 45. Again, within his previous max totals before he was accused of being on steroids. He hit 26 & 28 his final two seasons in '06 & '07, after he'd lost a little bat speed and when testing was in place. That's still a big number for a guy who was 42 & 43 in those seasons. Stats are all available for your fact checking at baseball-reference.com.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 06:43 PM
I agree they saved it, but they also left a stain on it. One is not exclusive of the other.

Dawg61
07-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Scarred the game? They f'n SAVED the game. TV Viewership & attendance was in the gutter after the '94 players' strike. The Chase for Maris between McGwire and Sosa brought back the fans. Every Bonds AB was a must watch even for about 4 years. And let's be totally honest: The "Commissioner" and baseball people knew what was happening. They even encouraged it. Then they vilified the guys they used to save the game and feigned ignorance & outrage after the fact. The whole thing was ****ing bullshit. The HoF has never been about comparing players from past eras, as the talking heads have been wanting people to believe for years now. It was about being the best in your era, whatever that era was.

And for the record, Bonds was HoF material without a single steroid. Steroids can do a lot of things, but they aren't improving hand-eye coordination. And Bonds had some of the craziest hand-eye coordination you'll ever see on a baseball diamond, plus an insane feel for the strike zone. He didn't swing at bad pitches. Hell, he didn't swing at a pitch unless it was a pitch in HIS strike zone. The guy was a hitting freak. Also worth noting, Bonds only hit 50+ HRs once - the year he hit 73 in '01. He hit 46 HRs in '93, long before he was accused of doing steroids. 42 & 40 HRs in 96 & 97, respectively. He hit 49 in '00, which is when he's accused of starting to take 'roids. So really, there's only one year that's an outlier for him in terms of HRs. From '02-'04 he hit 46, 45, and 45. Again, within his previous max totals before he was accused of being on steroids. He hit 26 & 28 his final two seasons in '06 & '07, after he'd lost a little bat speed and when testing was in place. That's still a big number for a guy who was 42 & 43 in those seasons. Stats are all available for your fact checking at baseball-reference.com.

That was beautiful man. My thoughts exactly, well done!!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120610042121/theamazingworldofgumball/images/e/ea/Joker-Clapping.gif

Tbonewannabe
07-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Could be like Tony LaRussa who says that anyone who PLAYED in the steroid era (but may not have been suspected of use) should have an asterisk by their name for playing in the steroid era.

So should Tony LaRussa also have an asterisk since most of his wins was with supposed steriod guys?

RBritt
07-27-2014, 08:55 PM
What player did Chipper have beef with?

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
What player did Chipper have beef with?

Thome and Manny I believe. he and Thome are friends now. Not sure about Manny.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Thome and Manny I believe. he and Thome are friends now. Not sure about Manny.

Can't forget Rocker. He totally threw that guy under the bus, deservedly or not. Chipper has had heat with several guys through the years.