PDA

View Full Version : Fredi, it is time to change the line up!

KB21
07-26-2014, 10:55 AM
If the Braves are going to salvage the rest of the season, it is time for Fredi Gonzalez to do what he should have been doing all along. Get your best hitters at the top of the line up, and put your worst hitters at the bottom of the line up.

The Braves are in one of their rough skids right now, but the rough skids with their hitting is more the norm than the exception.

Fredi played the hot hand theory by leaving BJ Upton in the lead off spot when it made absolutely no sense. He's the worst OBP guy on the team, and he's still leading off. This is what happens when you move guys around in the line up because they are on a streak. BJ Upton is what we though he was. He's simply not a very good hitter and is unfit to be a lead off hitter on a major league team.

In some order, Jason Heyward, Justin Upton, Freddie Freeman, Evan Gattis, and Tommy La Stella should be hitting in the top 5, with Chris Johnson, Andrelton SImmons, BJ Upton, and the pitcher's spot bringing up the rear. The problem is that for all the good that the first 5 do, it is undone by the inability of the bottom 3 and pitcher to hit. You put up with Andrelton's offense because he is such a great defensive player. The other two regulars though, they really bring very little to the table that helps you win games. Frank Wren really should be catching some heat for the BJ Upton contract, the Chris Johnson extension, and the fact that they are paying Dan Uggla $19 million over this year and next year to play for the Giants. BJ's contract is going to cost this team Jason Heyward long term unless the new stadium generates enough revenue to allow the team to increase payroll to keep him. Right now, BJ is a sunk cost. He is what he is, and it isn't an approach issue at this point. I think it is a talent issue. He's always been a poor on base guy, but he at least gave you some pop in the line up. Now, he can't drive the fastball like he used to be able to, a sign that his bat speed has diminished. As a result, he's now a poor on base guy with no power who is also a marginal defender in the field. He's a great base runner, but that base running is useless when you are not getting on base.

msstate7
07-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Bj last 10 games = .179 avg
Lastella last 10 = .231
FF last 10 = .128
Gattis = 1-13 since returning from dl

Bringing gattis back at warp speed was a mistake. He can't hit a lick right now. Bethancourt should've caught until gattis was killing the ball in the minors. Now we're getting the same bat (Christian and Evan), but no where near the same defense. I like gattis, but his return has hurt the team so far. We were playing well and now we're 1-4 since his return with the win coming on his off day.

Minor should get 1 more start. If he fails, give his spot to hale temporarily anyway.

I'd like to see Shreve in a tough situation. I've liked him so far, but wanna see him get tested.

I don't wanna see kimbrel in a non-save opportunity. He seems to struggle. I do believe if bethancourt was catching thurs night that ck wouldn't have lost it.

I'd completely overhaul lineup tonight:

Lastella
Jup
Ff
Cj
Heyward
Bj
Gattis
Simmons

starkvegasdawg
07-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I think it's just time everyone publicly admit that this is not a very good team. Definitely not one that would make a deep run in the playoffs should they somehow find a way to make it. They have benefited from a weak division and an injury riddled Nats team. Now they are getting guys back and starting to build a lead. At best I think the braves are a team fighting for the last wild card spot. I just have a hard time investing a lot into this team because I don't think they are going to do much. Nobody they send to the plate scares opposing pitchers. Pitching is good but not really an elite arm in the group. Kimbrel has been shaky at times as a closer. They are what they are. A solid team but not an extraordinary team. They'll finish just around .515-.525.

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Crazy talk. The problem with this team is consistency. When they're hot, they're as hot as anyone. But when they're cold, they're really, really, really cold. Part of having to rely on the HR so much. We were doing a lot better about manufacturing runs for a while, but now we aren't doing it as well. And you really want to argue that J-Up, Freddie, J-Hey, and Gattis don't scare opposing pitchers?

Totally disagree about not having an elite arm. Have you watched Julio Teheran pitch or seen his numbers? Kid has a 2.64 ERA but has gotten less than shit for run support so far. His WHIP is 1.03, K/9 of 7.97, 127 K, 31 BB, and 17 QS. But he only has 9 Ws, proving how bad that stat is at times. I guarantee all 31 other MLB teams would KILL to have Teheran.

The big issues have been the bullpen and the bench. Losing Venters and the Fightin' Irishman were killers. CK has been mostly lights out, but like most closers, struggles a little in non-save situations. It's one of the reasons I think the unwritten rules of baseball about the home team using it's closer in a tie game in the 9th is totally ridiculous. Walden has been very solid. Varvaro, too. The big problem is not having a solid matchup lefty. That should change by the trade deadline. As for the bench, we're near the bottom of the league in PH stats. Doumit hasn't produced in that role and we played 2/3 of the first half with a 24 man bench by not cutting Uggla. We've only had a full complement of 25 for about 2 weeks. And as terrible as I think he is, Wren is trying to find a bench bat before the deadline, too. The problem is there's a lot of buyers this year and not many sellers. The trade market is pretty damn thin for the kind of guys we're targeting especially.

msstate7
07-26-2014, 01:51 PM
David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC
#Braves call up Phil Gosselin. Corresponding move to sending Tyler Pastornicky down last night.

KB21
07-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Crazy talk. The problem with this team is consistency. When they're hot, they're as hot as anyone. But when they're cold, they're really, really, really cold. Part of having to rely on the HR so much. We were doing a lot better about manufacturing runs for a while, but now we aren't doing it as well. And you really want to argue that J-Up, Freddie, J-Hey, and Gattis don't scare opposing pitchers?

Totally disagree about not having an elite arm. Have you watched Julio Teheran pitch or seen his numbers? Kid has a 2.64 ERA but has gotten less than shit for run support so far. His WHIP is 1.03, K/9 of 7.97, 127 K, 31 BB, and 17 QS. But he only has 9 Ws, proving how bad that stat is at times. I guarantee all 31 other MLB teams would KILL to have Teheran.

The big issues have been the bullpen and the bench. Losing Venters and the Fightin' Irishman were killers. CK has been mostly lights out, but like most closers, struggles a little in non-save situations. It's one of the reasons I think the unwritten rules of baseball about the home team using it's closer in a tie game in the 9th is totally ridiculous. Walden has been very solid. Varvaro, too. The big problem is not having a solid matchup lefty. That should change by the trade deadline. As for the bench, we're near the bottom of the league in PH stats. Doumit hasn't produced in that role and we played 2/3 of the first half with a 24 man bench by not cutting Uggla. We've only had a full complement of 25 for about 2 weeks. And as terrible as I think he is, Wren is trying to find a bench bat before the deadline, too. The problem is there's a lot of buyers this year and not many sellers. The trade market is pretty damn thin for the kind of guys we're targeting especially.

Consistency is definitely an issue. With that said, Heyward, JUpton, Freeman, Gattis, and La Stella are consistently the best hitters on the team. Their numbers aren't based on hot streaks and such. Those are the guys that should be at the top of the line up, getting them more at bats. My 1-5 would go Heyward, JUpton, Freeman, Gattis, and La Stella, and then some mix and match after that with the guys who are consistently poor hitters.

starkvegasdawg
07-26-2014, 02:36 PM
If we want to consider Teheran an elite arm then we can. I still think my overall point holds. There is no team in MLB, especially contending teams, that have any fear of going into Turner Field. You're right that when they're hot they are hot but most of the season that had not been the case. Now I like Freeman just as much as the next guy but when he is your biggest offensive star and threat you have a problem. Hitters like Chipper, Gant, Sheffield, Lopez, and Texeria could all just pick up the team and win games single handedly. You just knew if they came up with the game on the line they would deliver. Nobody in this lineup has shown they can do that yet. And I just don't remember many cold stretches like we have now with Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and Neagle the rotation. Be honest. If you were a manager who would you rather have starting game 7? Teheran or one of those back in their prime? Those were truly elite arms. Especially considering they were doing that in the steroids era.

msstate7
07-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Kevin McAlpin ?@KevinMcAlpin
Jonny Venters threw from 100 feet yesterday; 120 feet today. Said his elbow feels great. Expected to throw bullpen early next week. #Braves

I certainly won't count on venters coming back, but I sure would love to have the old jonny back

Smitty
07-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Braves problem is they torch lefties but struggle vs righties. In the postseason where you can get away with 4 SP this hurts them. The Braves are streaky because they can kill lefties and bad righties but when they have a stretch of facing top RHP they suck.

Cards- Wainwright Lynn Wacha(hopefully) Kelly
Brewers- Gallardo Lohse Garza Peralta Estrada
Nats- Strasburg Fister Zimmerman Roark
Dodgers - Kershaw and Ryu are really good LHP. Greinke Haren Beckett
Giants- Huddy Lincecum Bumbarger(top LHP)

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Braves problem is they torch lefties but struggle vs righties. In the postseason where you can get away with 4 SP this hurts them. The Braves are streaky because they can kill lefties and bad righties but when they have a stretch of facing top RHP they suck.

Cards- Wainwright Lynn Wacha(hopefully) Kelly
Brewers- Gallardo Lohse Garza Peralta Estrada
Nats- Strasburg Fister Zimmerman Roark
Dodgers - Kershaw and Ryu are really good LHP. Greinke Haren Beckett
Giants- Huddy Lincecum Bumbarger(top LHP)

Yep. For years and years the media and management bitched about the Braves lineup being to LH heavy, but we were good and it was fun to watch. Now we're RH heavy with a shit ton of RHs who can't hit RHP. We chased the mythical RH Power Hitter unicorn and have shit to show for it. Braves should've stayed with the LH lineup philosophy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Smitty
07-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Sitting Gattis against a LHP… SMH