PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds this Morning - Deuce

sleepy dawg
07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
So, I listen to Bo most mornings for about 10 minutes, which means I catch a little info with very little context. So, it could be that I took what I heard completely out of context.
However, I'm pretty damn sure I heard Rick Cleveland saying that Deuce Mcallister is in the same conversation with Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. He went on and on, so it wasn't like something he just said in casual passing. Also, he wasn't just talking about not living up to the potential because he was hurt, although that was certainly part of it. He was definitely talking about how good he was, and how good he could've been without the injuries.

Now, I'm too young to remember Bo and Herschel playing live, but I've seen plenty of highlight videos, and documentaries about these guys. I am quite certain that Deuce was not even close to these guys... Not even in the same league as these guys. Not because Deuce wasn't great in his prime, because he was. But because if you make that statement, you are basically saying that Deuce is one of the best athletes who's ever lived who's ever been seen by anyone in the modern era of sports.

When Bo Jackson was playing, he was the best athlete in whatever league he was playing in. When Hershel was playing, he was the best athlete in whatever league he was in. Deuce was simply a great player and a great athlete, which is still light years apart.

It just really irritated me to hear Bo and Hershel be compared to a normal level of greatness, when I know those guys were a once in a lifetime type players.

scottycameron
07-25-2014, 04:19 PM
So, I listen to Bo most mornings for about 10 minutes, which means I catch a little info with very little context. So, it could be that I took what I heard completely out of context.
However, I'm pretty damn sure I heard Rick Cleveland saying that Deuce Mcallister is in the same conversation with Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker. He went on and on, so it wasn't like something he just said in casual passing. Also, he wasn't just talking about not living up to the potential because he was hurt, although that was certainly part of it. He was definitely talking about how good he was, and how good he could've been without the injuries.

Now, I'm too young to remember Bo and Herschel playing live, but I've seen plenty of highlight videos, and documentaries about these guys. I am quite certain that Deuce was not even close to these guys... Not even in the same league as these guys. Not because Deuce wasn't great in his prime, because he was. But because if you make that statement, you are basically saying that Deuce is one of the best athletes who's ever lived who's ever been seen by anyone in the modern era of sports.

When Bo Jackson was playing, he was the best athlete in whatever league he was playing in. When Hershel was playing, he was the best athlete in whatever league he was in. Deuce was simply a great player and a great athlete, which is still light years apart.

It just really irritated me to hear Bo and Hershel be compared to a normal level of greatness, when I know those guys were a once in a lifetime type players.

Deuce was nowhere near the athlete of either. However as a RB he was a beast and probably about as good as anybody. He was different than most in that he was tall and he was thick, and he could flat out fly. That is probably the comparison they were getting at. Just like those two he was more than fast enough to play WR and be a homerun threat on kickoff returns while at the same time he was a big bruising short yardage back. Remember lots of us thought he would be a fullback in college. And he was strong as an ox too. Marcus Dupree was the same type. Don't know who was better but I assume Dupree was more explosive and probably a little bigger, not sure. Bottom ****ing line is both those SOBs should have been in Starkville. They both came out of areas where we should have locked them down. We screwed up with both.

BrunswickDawg
07-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Absolutely no way Deuce is anywhere near their caliber. Period.

gravedigger
07-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Deuce was very special. Bo was an incredible athlete and certainly better. Herschel was beyond description. Neither Bo or deuce were as good.

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Laughable to even put him in same story as Bo Jackson. Athletes like him only come along every couple generations. Had he not gotten hurt I think he far surpasses the yardage of Payton or Sanders.

Todd4State
07-25-2014, 05:11 PM

No. I'm not even sure that Yancy Porter would agree with that.

Deuce was good. But those guys are on another level.

Todd4State
07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Laughable to even put him in same story as Bo Jackson. Athletes like him only come along every couple generations. Had he not gotten hurt I think he far surpasses the yardage of Payton or Sanders.

And people forget that Herschel played three years in the USFL, which were probably three of his prime years when you consider what position he played and the longevity of players at that position.

I think if Herschel had not played in the USFL, he would be in the Football HOF right now.

Joe Schmedlap
07-25-2014, 05:16 PM
McAllister was great. Bo was beyond incredible. Hershel was a freak of a running back. Not saying he was an alien, but ...he had extraterrestrial skilz.

The freshman that will be suiting up for Ellesue this fall might be the next phenom at running back in the SEC.

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2014, 05:17 PM
And people forget that Herschel played three years in the USFL, which were probably three of his prime years when you consider what position he played and the longevity of players at that position.

I think if Herschel had not played in the USFL, he would be in the Football HOF right now.

Good point. Those two were men amongst boys on the gridiron. I'm trying to think the closest to them playing today. Adrian Peterson maybe. Not sure I'd make that comparison yet, though.

Todd4State
07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
McAllister was great. Bo was beyond incredible. Hershel was a freak of a running back. Not saying he was an alien, but ...he had extraterrestrial skilz.

The freshman that will be suiting up for Ellesue this fall might be the next phenom at running back in the SEC.

I can't wait to watch him roll up 350 yards of total offense on our defense this fall.**

BrunswickDawg
07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
The SEC Storied on Herschel comes close to capturing how unreal he was. But, the only way to do it justice is to have seen him. The first college game I ever went to was UGA v Ga Tech in 1981 at Grant Field. First play from scrimmage Herschel took a handoff to the right side, trucked a guy at the line, bounced to the outside and bolted 80 yards for the score. It seemed like it took all of 6 seconds. Tech guy sitting behind us said "Gotdamn sumbitch" and left. My Dad and I just laughed.

jimbo352
07-25-2014, 05:37 PM
I don't like saying these things, but he was a very special player that played for very mediocre teams.....

If he had played for someone like Tennessee(or any other powerhouse) in the late 90's... I think he could have done special things... I'm a Saints fan, and that season he had in 02 or 03.. When he went off for 1600+ yards... If you can do that, you're no chump.

Now... Let me go vomit...

Tbonewannabe
07-25-2014, 07:05 PM
I would take Jerious Norwood over Deuce. If Norwood has even close to average oline he probably goes for 2k rushing. Deuce had joe gunn and romaro miller.

Todd4State
07-25-2014, 07:36 PM
I don't like saying these things, but he was a very special player that played for very mediocre teams.....

If he had played for someone like Tennessee(or any other powerhouse) in the late 90's... I think he could have done special things... I'm a Saints fan, and that season he had in 02 or 03.. When he went off for 1600+ yards... If you can do that, you're no chump.

Now... Let me go vomit...

No- if you're special you elevate a mediocre team to greatness. See Cam at Auburn.

Deuce was a very good running back, but if he was special he would have stood out on a national stage the way that Herschel and Bo did. Deuce wasn't even the top RB in his draft class- that belonged to a guy named LaDanian Tomlinson.

Deuce is a guy that had a nice career, but he only made two pro bowls. That doesn't say "special" to me.

Saltydog
07-25-2014, 08:01 PM
nt

archdog
07-25-2014, 10:08 PM
No- if you're special you elevate a mediocre team to greatness. See Cam at Auburn.

Deuce was a very good running back, but if he was special he would have stood out on a national stage the way that Herschel and Bo did. Deuce wasn't even the top RB in his draft class- that belonged to a guy named LaDanian Tomlinson.

Deuce is a guy that had a nice career, but he only made two pro bowls. That doesn't say "special" to me.

Now that is a great way of looking at it. Sold on this argument alone.

basedog
07-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Well since the talk is about "greatness". and a little off the topic, Jim Brown was the greatest of all time. Just watching the old films of Jim Brown run around, over and outrun folks was insane! Like they said about him, if Superman played football it was Jim Brown!

Jacksondevildog
07-26-2014, 08:14 AM
If that's what was said by Cleveland, he was just pumping up the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and the ceremony that they had last night. Deuce was a damn good college and NFL player, but he wasn't on the same planet with Bo and Herschel. Cleveland does a really nice job with the Hall of Fame and I've heard him speak there. He's very passionate and that place, as well as the history of Mississippi athletics, means a lot to him. If y'all have never been there, you need to stop by.

jimbo352
07-26-2014, 08:47 AM

A QB touches the ball on every snap... Without a D, Cam would have been 9-4 like Johnny Football... Football is never about one player elevating a team to a NC, as much as the media would have you believe that... There are usually other moving parts or strengths to that team. It's a combo.

That's kind of the point I was making... He made the pro bowl the only years he was healthy... If he could have avoided injuries, he could have been special... He went for 1300 in his first year as the feature back, and then 1600 in his second year as a feature back... Then injuries destroyed his career. He's definitely not Bo or Herschel... I mean, I never even implied such nonsense... That being said, he was pretty ****ing good in the NFL until injuries kind of killed everything. I know, I know... Longevity and health is very important, but I know what I saw as a Saints fan... He would have been very very special had he stayed healthy.