PDA

View Full Version : MSU is the tallest defense in the SEC

BeastMan
07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
http://3rdand57.com/sec-defenses-with-the-most-length/

Main reason I wrote this is because in every Bama game, the announcers talk about Bama's length and how much that helps when the field is shortened. I decided to average the height of every SEC projected starting defense. MSU is the longest unit in the conference.

Interesting side note: Ole Miss is the shortest. I ended up going with D Jones starting at CB since their official depth chart said so. It wouldn't shock me if Mike Hilton beat him out. He currently listed at #2 at CB and Huskey. If Hilton starts, they average under 6 feet on defense.

Now what does this mean? Statistically I can't find any trend to identify if this matters. Announcers love to beat this to death in Bama games but what say you? Does team length on defense matter at all?

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Yup, height and length are probably the most under valued and non evaluated components by recruiting services. All they care about is straight line speed and maybe change of direction. It's hard to see height and how it impacts the game on game film taken from high above.

When you recruit more length, you don't have to have as much speed because you take up more space.

Ole Miss has a hobbit defense! That's what you get when all you do is look at stars.

The Hobbit Rebelbearsharks

Westdawg
07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
In a word?

YES!!!!

Anyone who has any experience on defensive coaching will tell you that length of a player, not just their height, but their body length (wingspan, etc.) is a definite effect on how you can utilize those players, ESPECIALLY in the red zone.
the coaching staff has been placing an emphasis on this in recruiting the past 4 years now, and it is showing up very convincingly on the field now. and i LOVE it.

shoeless joe
07-25-2014, 03:16 PM
One play answers this question...

2009 jump pass against LSU. Lee's lack of length vs Jones length. End of discussion.

Hypnodawg
07-25-2014, 03:51 PM
With the exception of Floridia, they all are in the 6'-1.5" to 6'-2.5" range. That's really not a large spread, especially considering 18 year-old kids average 1 inch of growth over 2 years. I would expect there is a high correlation to average class vs average height.

thf24
07-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Ole Miss has a hobbit defense!

Gold. This needs to stick.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 04:03 PM

So who is Freeze?

Gandalf or Sauron?

Gridirondawg
07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
So who is Freeze?

Gandalf or Sauron?

Gollum.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Ole Miss has a hobbit defense! That's what you get when all you do is look at stars.

So who is Freeze?

Gandalf or Sauron?

Gollum.

http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif

http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

TheRef
07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Who can photoshop Hugh's face on Gollum and RK's face on an Orc? PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Reason2succeed
07-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Gollum.

Frozo Baggins! My precious! Haha!

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Guess I need to watch at least one of these movies so I have a clue who you're talking about.

archdog
07-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Frozo Baggins! My precious! Haha!

Freeze is Borromir because he is borderline weak douchebag that is usually pretty cool but when the rubber meets the road he lets everyone know how big a fake he is.
Or Freeze is the Wormtongue. Wormtongue could be a good cross over for Yancy if you will.
Freeze really strikes me as Smeagal before and right after he finds the ring. Seems like that fits my impression of him more than Gollum. Gollum is less than him. Really removed from his "humanity"
Now Smeagal was fishing with his cousin. His cousin finds the ring at the bottom of the lake. Smeagal thinking he should have it because its his birthday asks his cousin for it. Cousin refuses. Smeagal then kills his cousin and takes the ring. Lots of parallels with my impression of Freeze's persona.

archdog
07-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Well I killed this conversation.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Freeze is Borromir because he is borderline weak douchebag that is usually pretty cool but when the rubber meets the road he lets everyone know how big a fake he is.
Or Freeze is the Wormtongue. Wormtongue could be a good cross over for Yancy if you will.
Freeze really strikes me as Smeagal before and right after he finds the ring. Seems like that fits my impression of him more than Gollum. Gollum is less than him. Really removed from his "humanity"
Now Smeagal was fishing with his cousin. His cousin finds the ring at the bottom of the lake. Smeagal thinking he should have it because its his birthday asks his cousin for it. Cousin refuses. Smeagal then kills his cousin and takes the ring. Lots of parallels with my impression of Freeze's persona.

One problem with your analogy: In the end, Boromir actually WAS a badass. Sure, the ring corrupted him and made him a bitch for a while. But at the end, when it mattered, he saves the Quest. It took like 8 arrows to put him down, and he was still trying to fight.

I could definitely see Yancy as Wormtongue. Or Saruman. Or maybe even The Mouth of Sauron.

joedog
07-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Who can photoshop Hugh's face on Gollum and RK's face on an Orc? PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Just one of Freezums

http://i61.tinypic.com/33djdkw.jpg

Gridirondawg
07-26-2014, 01:04 AM
Just one of Freezums

http://i61.tinypic.com/33djdkw.jpg

Freaking fantastic!

War Machine Dawg
07-26-2014, 01:22 AM
Just one of Freezums

You show great promise, Padawan.

hailmari
07-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Well I killed this conversation.

Lolz. If it helps, I followed ya.

They're all trolls to me.

scottycameron
07-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Great analysis again, beast man. Florida doesn't surprise me, when I think of UF I think of small blazing fast black kids. I know that's not really accurate but that's the stereotype I call up. Not just UF either but the state as a whole.
Good thread until it went full geek retard with the harry potter stuff.

KB21
07-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Great analysis again, beast man. Florida doesn't surprise me, when I think of UF I think of small blazing fast black kids. I know that's not really accurate but that's the stereotype I call up. Not just UF either but the state as a whole.
Good thread until it went full geek retard with the harry potter stuff.

That's not really what they were when Urban Meyer/Dan Mullen were recruiting there. Dan Mullen is following the model that he and Urban used at Florida as far as player prototype.

Pollodawg
07-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Never, ever curse Gandalf by equating him with Freeze.

Pollodawg
07-26-2014, 09:37 AM
That's not really what they were when Urban Meyer/Dan Mullen were recruiting there. Dan Mullen is following the model that he and Urban used at Florida as far as player prototype.

Dan is basically building a working man's Florida Gators in Starkville. And I am fine with that.

Reason2succeed
07-26-2014, 11:33 AM
I think that Benarrick McKinney is who makes us taller than everyone else. Of course taller also should mean the ability to weigh more and still be athletic. So I would be interested to see who the heaviest defense was? I think goal line is where this could factor in the most.