PDA

View Full Version : malik interview

justwin
07-25-2014, 10:25 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2138700-all-star-steph-curry-goes-1v1-in-film-room-with-nations-top-sg-malik-newman?search_query=malik%20newman

be nice if kid came to State & showed out for a yr making a tourney run like Curry w/Davidson. seems like an alright kid, hardworker

State needs a good bb story to help erase some of that bad stink Stans created over his tenure. Just seemed like commentators never really have State much due or pub. during broadcasts. Towards the end, Stan's shit just seemed to catch up w/him, I thought..

engie
07-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Duck!

I agree. Malik is a huge deal for repairing the divide in the program.

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Duck!

http://i.giflike.com/ImKtWrA.gif

MadDawg
07-25-2014, 11:35 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2138700-all-star-steph-curry-goes-1v1-in-film-room-with-nations-top-sg-malik-newman?search_query=malik%20newman
State needs a good bb story to help erase some of that bad stink Stans created over his tenure. Just seemed like commentators never really have State much due or pub. during broadcasts. Towards the end, Stan's shit just seemed to catch up w/him, I thought..

Some broadcasters always spoke positively of State and Stans like all the SEC Network crew and the Fox Sports crew.

But some like ESPN's Jimmy Dykes never had a good thing to say about Stans or his teams. Of course, we aren't even on his radar now and he never even mentions us anymore. I guess no pub is better than bad pub. Wait.......

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Some broadcasters always spoke positively of State and Stans like all the SEC Network crew and the Fox Sports crew.

But some like ESPN's Jimmy Dykes never had a good thing to say about Stans or his teams. Of course, we aren't even on his radar now and he never even mentions us anymore. I guess no pub is better than bad pub. Wait.......

http://i.imgur.com/lZJViKu.gif

shannondawg
07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
It would be great in many different ways for us to get Malik, recruiting being # 1 and increased attendance being #2. But lets just remember he would be a freshman.

thf24
07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Of course, we aren't even on his radar now and he never even mentions us anymore. I guess no pub is better than bad pub. Wait.......

Actually...

http://www.activebolt.com/pic

http://www.activebolt.com/pic2

MadDawg
07-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Actually...

Two tweets in 2+ years. That's AWESOME!!

thf24
07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Two tweets in 2+ years. That's AWESOME!!

So "don't judge Rick Ray at Miss State until year 3" only remains valid if he follows it up regularly until that time? And why would there be anything else from him recently, unless you expect the Arkansas women's basketball head coach to cover men's college basketball?

MadDawg
07-25-2014, 12:38 PM
So "don't judge Rick Ray at Miss State until year 3" only remains valid if he follows it up regularly until that time? And why would there be anything else from him recently, unless you expect the Arkansas women's basketball head coach to cover men's college basketball?

First, I didn't realize he was hired on as the womens coach at Arkansas.

Secondly, I think even with the two tweets you produced, this still falls easily under the "not on his radar" when the only mention he made was why we won't be any good for a few years and then a required interview during SEC media days.

thf24
07-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Secondly, I think even with the two tweets you produced, this still falls easily under the "not on his radar" when the only mention he made was why we won't be any good for a few years and then a required interview during SEC media days.

Fair enough, although I doubt that's what you were originally getting at.

MadDawg
07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Fair enough, although I doubt that's what you were originally getting at.

But it really actually was. Not sure what you think I was getting at though.

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Actually...

http://www.activebolt.com/pic

http://www.activebolt.com/pic2

First tweet is a very Croomesque comment

2nd tweet, whose fault is that? Tennessee signed 8 players in 3 weeks, Auburn signed 6 in a month. Tennessee's coach was the HC of the Mustard Buzzard's last year. Auburn has shit basketball tradition compared to MSU and their coach can't even recruit off campus right now. No excuses.

Intramural All-American
07-25-2014, 01:05 PM

2nd tweet, whose fault is that? Tennessee signed 8 players in 3 weeks, Auburn signed 6 in a month. Tennessee's coach was the HC of the Mustard Buzzard's last year. Auburn has shit basketball tradition compared to MSU and their coach can't even recruit off campus right now. No excuses.

It's amazing that a national analyst realized the terrible situation he came into, but our own fans can't. Auburn hired Bruce Pearl, one of the top basketball coaches in America. Tennessee also just came off a Sweet 16. In both situations, however, not a single one of those players has played a minute for either of those programs, so at this point, they are just a number on the roster. This is a dead horse. EVERYONE is judging Ray this season. No one is going to be covering for him this year if the team sucks, so I don't understand your need to still try and convince people he sucks. It's time for him to put up or shutup, and everyone agrees.

C222
07-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Ray signed 4 guys his first month after he was hired.

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 01:10 PM
It's time for him to put up or shutup, and everyone agrees.

20 wins nothing less

Intramural All-American
07-25-2014, 01:20 PM
20 wins nothing less

I'm not that set in stone on total win number, but .500 in SEC play is pretty much mandatory for me. Unless he signs, Malik, then he has some leeway in my book.

Brad Stevens
07-25-2014, 02:06 PM
It would be great in many different ways for us to get Malik, recruiting being # 1 and increased attendance being #2. But lets just remember he would be a freshman.

Yes, he would "just be a freshman," but he would easily be the best freshman to ever put on a Mississippi State uniform. If rules from ten years ago were still in place, he would be an NBA rookie. If by that statement you mean he may make a few mistakes, I can agree with that. But inserting him into our starting lineup would be ten times the upgrade of not having him in the lineup. He would be surrounded by mostly Senior starters. It would be the best situation our program could ask for (at least for that season).

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm not that set in stone on total win number, but .500 in SEC play is pretty much mandatory for me. Unless he signs, Malik, then he has some leeway in my book.

This is your best basketball post ever

Intramural All-American
07-25-2014, 02:34 PM
This is your best basketball post ever

http://i.imgur.com/EUmmc.gif

Coach34
07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
It's amazing that a national analyst realized the terrible situation he came into, but our own fans can't.

No kidding. Dykes tweeted that 2 years ago- Ray Charles could see where the program was then.

Ray signed 4 players his 1st month as coach- the problem Ray had, which others havent yet- is that two of them blew their knees out. Then we had 2 other returnees smoke too much dope, then 2 more devastating injuries during the season.

It's Year 3 and everybody expects Ray and the team to be better. Rebuilding is over.

C222
07-25-2014, 07:37 PM
More on Malik. We are mentioned as well.

http://*******/WHvEW5

engie
07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
The more I read, the more I like what I hear.

Mississippi State remains an option because it’s the home school.

“They’re close to home and they’re doing a really good job of developing their players,” Newman said.

Kentucky has long been linked to Newman.

Asked what their pitch has been, he said, “Same old recruitment stuff.”

Asked about the number of NBA players Kentucky has produced, Newman said, “I don’t really look into that.”

N.C. State, UConn and Kansas are all in the mix as well.

That's the most dismissive I've heard him be about UK so far.

Malik thinks Ray can develop players? Weird.

Quaoarsking
07-25-2014, 08:44 PM
He wants to do include a 3rd guy in his package deal too?

Schultzy
07-25-2014, 09:56 PM
I've never wanted someone at MSU to succeed as much as Coach Ray. The criticism of someone taking over such a tough situation from people on this board has been very difficult to listen to because they want us to be relevant again so bad but don't understand how bad it was when he took over and how hard it is to overcome it.

Year three is like year one for most new hires but our hoops fans think we should be able to recover so much sooner than is realistic. This year is actually when his tenure BEGINS for me. Not his make or break year.

BullDog
07-25-2014, 10:10 PM
the fans at MSU SUCK!

BullDog
07-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Elite Ignorance on Full display! Every day! Nothing better to do 61? You Suck!

KB21
07-25-2014, 10:25 PM
I've never wanted someone at MSU to succeed as much as Coach Ray. The criticism of someone taking over such a tough situation from people on this board has been very difficult to listen to because they want us to be relevant again so bad but don't understand how bad it was when he took over and how hard it is to overcome it.

Year three is like year one for most new hires but our hoops fans think we should be able to recover so much sooner than is realistic. This year is actually when his tenure BEGINS for me. Not his make or break year.

I agree. Rick walked into a situation that most coaches would not have walked into. There is a reason Bryce Drew and Murray State's coach whose name escapes me right now ran from the job. This was as toxic of a situation as you could go into as a basketball coach.

What's sad is that certain people who call themselves MSU boosters are working against Rick Ray on everything because he wasn't their choice.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2014, 10:33 PM
I agree. Rick walked into a situation that most coaches would not have walked into. There is a reason Bryce Drew and Murray State's coach whose name escapes me right now ran from the job. This was as toxic of a situation as you could go into as a basketball coach.

What's sad is that certain people who call themselves MSU boosters are working against Rick Ray on everything because they're more loyal to the person who created the toxic dumpster fire than to MSU.

FIFY

Political Hack
07-25-2014, 10:52 PM
what exactly has been done by these boosters "against Ray"? Just curious. Everyone speaks like there are State fans sabotaging him, but I've never seen anything specifically be mentioned other than some people griping on message boards.

Intramural All-American
07-25-2014, 11:21 PM
what exactly has been done by these boosters "against Ray"? Just curious. Everyone speaks like there are State fans sabotaging him, but I've never seen anything specifically be mentioned other than some people griping on message boards.

Not providing financial backing. It's not necessarily what they are doing "against" him. It's what they are not doing "for" him.

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 11:28 PM

Only thing sabotaging Ray right now is his lack of recruiting, lack of development of players and lack of maintaing a full roster. Sun Belt teams recruit better than us right now.

Dawg61
07-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Not providing financial backing. It's not necessarily what they are doing "against" him. It's what they are not doing "for" him.

MSU has more money than Sun Belt teams even if we had zero help from boosters. Why are they out recruiting us?

Schultzy
07-26-2014, 01:17 PM
They aren't.