PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable interview by Bo Bounds with John Bacon

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Everyone including Scott Stricklin needs to listen to Bo Bounds' interview of John Bacon this morning. Bacon speaks about how important it is to preserve the stadium experience and how advertisements during TV timeouts has basically ruined it.

With the SEC Network about to pump millions of dollars a year into our program, can we just get rid of these?

At this point, it shows greed and lack of long term foresight to continue to pump advertisements down the throats of the fans.

Hopefully Bo will podcast this interview.

archdog
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Everyone including Scott Stricklin needs to listen to Bo Bounds' interview of John Bacon this morning. Bacon speaks about how important it is to preserve the stadium experience and how advertisements during TV timeouts has basically ruined it.

With the SEC Network about to pump millions of dollars a year into our program, can we just get rid of these?

At this point, it shows greed and lack of long term foresight to continue to pump advertisements down the throats of the fans.

I am not sure how much money our university gets from these advertisements, but they cannot be worth what it cost us in atmosphere. Nothing, and I mean nothing should take away from our stadium rocking with the fight song and other traditional chants that get our fan base into a frenzy. If I was a recruit, the game atmosphere could be a possible decision maker for me. Our higher ups have been doing a great job at making sure things like the Big Dawg camp have a great working atmosphere. We need to make this our only goal in the upcoming season as both fans and the AD. We need to up our game time atmosphere.
Just try one game without the ads killing the crowds mood after every stoppage of play, and listen to the feedback. I challenge them to do it.
Everytime you would normally play an advertisement, start the maroon white chant, fight song, True Maroon video clip, players dance party. I don't care what you play as long as it is not Buy me an Fn Mercedes Benz commercial. I will never buy a mercedes. Hell I will never even drive a mercedes because of that commercial.

BeastMan
07-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Nonsense. We know have 2 jumbo trons. That means 2 commercial at a time. Double the money suckas!!!!!

jimbo352
07-25-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't believe you...

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 10:27 AM
I am not sure how much money our university gets from these advertisements, but they cannot be worth what it cost us in atmosphere. Nothing, and I mean nothing should take away from our stadium rocking with the fight song and other traditional chants that get our fan base into a frenzy. If I was a recruit, the game atmosphere could be a possible decision maker for me. Our higher ups have been doing a great job at making sure things like the Big Dawg camp have a great working atmosphere. We need to make this our only goal in the upcoming season as both fans and the AD. We need to up our game time atmosphere.
Just try one game without the ads killing the crowds mood after every stoppage of play, and listen to the feedback. I challenge them to do it.
Everytime you would normally play an advertisement, start the maroon white chant, fight song, True Maroon video clip, players dance party. I don't care what you play as long as it is not Buy me an Fn Mercedes Benz commercial. I will never buy a mercedes. Hell I will never even drive a mercedes because of that commercial.
+1

Political Hack
07-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Oregon does it that way with Nike money. Not sure why they couldn't do it with the new influx of TV money.

codeDawg
07-25-2014, 10:37 AM

The ads are how we financed the video boards to begin with. That's why we have both.

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
The only competitive advantage that the stadium has over TV is the atmosphere and since of community.

Go to block seating in the student section so they can sit with their friends without having to enter the stadium 2 hours early = community

Get rid of Ads all together. By continuing to run Ads the AD is showing that they are greedy, lack foresight, and don't fully understand their business.

I am calling for the students turn their backs to type video board this season during ads, and for everyone else to boo

engie
07-25-2014, 10:41 AM
It's been talked about verbatim since the end of last year that there will be no in-game advertisements on either jumbotron this year. ALL ads will be pregame and halftime.

How many times does Strick have to admit that they made a mistake and are fixing it before our fans realize that they "saw" the problem too and have taken major steps to correct it?

Plus, the SEC is taking on some oversight of game experiences now as well...

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 10:47 AM
The ads are how we financed the video boards to begin with. That's why we have both.

Oh, and the 20 mil+ a year we will get from the SEC network can't finance to the video boards. Give me a break, and please start thinking. And somehow, in some crazy world you believe it's actually worth sacrificing the in game atmosphere so that we have a little extra of unneeded change to fund a video board?

MSU football belongs to the people and state of Mississippi, and we the people need to ensure that it doesn't fall into the cooperate greed model of trying to squeeze out every penny.

The future of season ticket holders, students staying at games, etc... Is contingent upon how well the athletic department preserves the in stadium atmosphere.

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 10:49 AM
It's been talked about verbatim since the end of last year that there will be no in-game advertisements on either jumbotron this year. ALL ads will be pregame and halftime.

How many times does Strick have to admit that they made a mistake and are fixing it before our fans realize that they "saw" the problem too and have taken major steps to correct it?

I've never heard that they are getting rid of in game advertisements. All I heard is that they will squeeze them into the first half, so the second half has fewer ads.

Are you sure about your info Engie? Please link if so.

dickiedawg
07-25-2014, 10:53 AM
The only competitive advantage that the stadium has over TV is the atmosphere and since of community.

Go to block seating in the student section so they can sit with their friends without having to enter the stadium 2 hours early = community

Get rid of Ads all together. By continuing to run Ads the AD is showing that they are greedy, lack foresight, and don't fully understand their business.

I am calling for the students turn their backs to type video board this season during ads, and for everyone else to boo

If the students turn their back on one video board they'll be looking at another one.

Political Hack
07-25-2014, 10:54 AM

I thought it was still going to air ads during TV timeouts, etc... If it's only pre-game and halftime, that's great. I though he just said that they're going to "push more of the ads" into those times. Good to know it's all ads.

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 10:58 AM
If the students turn their back on one video board they'll be looking at another one.

I thought about this as well. I don't think the angle and upperdeck will allow them to clearly see it.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 11:00 AM

That's what I was thinking. Just how does one turn one's back to the video board? Inspect the bottom of the new bleachers perhaps?

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 11:04 AM
That's what I was thinking. Just how does one turn one's back to the video board? Inspect the bottom of the new bleachers perhaps?

Whether or not they could see another board really isn't the point. If all the students turned their backs to the South end zone video board during ads, it would send a clear message of protest.

PassInterference
07-25-2014, 11:07 AM
The Bacon interview is segmented out on the Out Of Bounds app.

engie
07-25-2014, 11:14 AM
I can't find where he said it now, but I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of "all ads will be pregame and halftime-- and the marketing dept is going through and cutting all the "fluff" games and whatnot that do not tie directly into the fan experience at Davis Wade"

engie
07-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Seems it might be mentioned behind this scout paywall... http://mississippistate.scout.com/story/1413517-a-q-a-with-msu-ad-scott-stricklin

thunderclap
07-25-2014, 11:42 AM
I honest to God turned to the guy next to me last year and said "I wish they'd just turn that damn thing off."

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Might as well get used to it. College football is going the way of the NFL. You saw some of the Brady Rules trickle down recently regarding a "strike zone" for hitting QBs. More are sure to follow, in terms of deemphasizing defense to promote offense. And as ticket prices continue to increase (the WILL keep increasing), most of the "real" fans will be priced out. It'll be businesses buying tickets. The atmosphere that makes CFB games special will die. It's just a matter of time at this point. CFB has become too big and makes too much money for its own good.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Might as well get used to it. College football is going the way of the NFL. You saw some of the Brady Rules trickle down recently regarding a "strike zone" for hitting QBs. More are sure to follow, in terms of deemphasizing defense to promote offense. And as ticket prices continue to increase (the WILL keep increasing), most of the "real" fans will be priced out. It'll be businesses buying tickets. The atmosphere that makes CFB games special will die. It's just a matter of time at this point. CFB has become too big and makes too much money for its own good.

All of that is what I've been afraid of for some time. I haven't really followed the NFL much in the last decade and don't wanna see college football become NFL lite.

DudyDawg
07-25-2014, 12:24 PM
I say 65k of us boo every commercial during the game. That'll send a message better than complaining on a message board

DanDority
07-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Thankfully We have a big brother to take up for us!*****

maroonmania
07-25-2014, 01:17 PM

Man, if the college game atmosphere gets anywhere close to being as sanitized as an NFL game it will be a sad, sad day for sure.

ShotgunDawg
07-25-2014, 02:05 PM
The solution and compromise to this is developing the art of silent ads. We have two video boards that you can see from space, so there is still value and money to be made with silent ads. Some creative mind just needs to figure out an effective way to implement them.

archdog
07-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Every student turns either to the east or west.
Or they can just turn around and moon the president's box everytime an ad is played. 10k naked asses would put a stop to it in a hurry.

Charlie_Sheen420
07-25-2014, 11:34 PM
So much better stuff could be done instead of running those freaking ads, one example would be to save the SNL cowbell skit, instead of playing it pre-game, play it during an opponent timeout and get the cowbells going and have cowbells ringing along with "Don't Fear the Reaper" playing over the sound system. Simple things like this could be done that would boost the atmosphere rather than kill it with ads...

Bark
07-26-2014, 12:16 AM
All ads before the game and at halftime? Sure the players would love warming up to continuous ads I know I would.

I don't understand why stricklin can't figure out what everyone has said for two years now...require all ads to be silent with music playing over them. 'This music brought to you by the veranda...FLAVOR!' Seriously it's not that hard.

Five-tool Poster
07-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Seems it might be mentioned behind this scout paywall... http://mississippistate.scout.com/story/1413517-a-q-a-with-msu-ad-scott-stricklin

Unfortunately, he said quite the contrary.

TheDogFather
07-26-2014, 06:58 AM

We want first class media relations with videos, billboards, and first rate media campaigns. We want a stadium that will compete with the others in the SEC. We want to keep ticket prices low. We want bathroom and stadium amenities improvements. We want to have the best recruiting visits to attract the best players. We want first class playing surfaces and high dollar locker rooms to please the players. We want a new weight room and tape viewing facility. We want to have a new baseball stadium for a sport team that breaks even at best.

Oh. by the way Strick. We want to take away you second highest revenue generator - advertisements. Because everybody knows that nobody else has advertisements. Not even Alabama who budget is 3X ours.

Said the man who never ran a business.

TheDogFather
07-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Dear Lord, please don't come to the games.

TheDogFather
07-26-2014, 07:12 AM
I've never heard that they are getting rid of in game advertisements. All I heard is that they will squeeze them into the first half, so the second half has fewer ads.

Because the first thought is to proclaim our admin as bumbling idiots jerking off in the corner while the rest of the world creates REAL marketing campaigns. This thread is far more shortsighted than you claim Stricklin to be on this issue. Maybe you could work for him.

ShotgunDawg
07-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Are advertisements really our second largest revenue producer? More than either tickets or TV?

I never said to get rid of advertisements. Just the ones that disrupt the atmosphere in the stadium, I.e. Video board advertisements with sound.

Our athletic department isn't jerks, but it does lack foresight to continue down this road without adjustments. There is a real and growing problem in college football stadiums with student attendance, and if the problems and issues that are causing this aren't addressed, then the season ticket base will begin to deteriorate over time.

The only competitive advantage that going to the stadium has over TV is the instadium atmosphere. To do anything that disrupts that or threatens that, is poor business that lacks foresight.

What happened in our stadium last season threatened that and was unacceptable. We will see if our administration understands this in a few weeks, or if they attempt to just slightly adjust and fail again.

Stricklin has admitted mistakes, but we will see if he truly understands them.

Barking 13
07-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Downtown Louisvulle!!! ***** Really, I like the "more cowbell" idea... ads could play either silent with pump up music over it, or like pregame up till about 15 min before kickoff and a few minutes at the end of halftime, would be ok. I think another use of the boards would to be to broadcast some of the band shots when they play the fight song and blare it, like on first downs and stuff..