PDA

View Full Version : LSU

LC Dawg
07-25-2014, 08:17 AM
I know a lot of people think this is our year to beat LSU. I'm on record saying that we can still have a great year even if we lose in Baton Rouge. Last night I looked up our records against them just to refresh my memory and I changed my mind. I knew it was bad but a couple of things jumped out at me that I hadn't really thought about. One is that out of our last three wins against LSU one of them was in Jackson. Think about that. We have to go back to Memorial Stadium to get to three wins against them. Another thing is that my daughter will be a junior at State this fall and the last time we won in Baton Rouge she was not alive. Also keep in mind that more than a few of the LSU teams we have lost to were not very good. We are basically LSU's bitch.
We can definitely have a great season even if we lose to LSU but I am tired of being someone's bitch. We need to go ahead and win in Baton Rouge and get past this chapter of our history.
I haven't been to Baton Rouge since the 98 game and vowed to never go back but I think I'm going to go this year and watch us shut all those drunk cajuns up.

maroonmania
07-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Yep, at this point I would rather beat LSU than anyone other than OM just because of this VooDoo curse hold they seem to have over us. Even in 1998 when we won the West where we finished 8-3 and they finished 3-8 they beat us 41-6 in Baton Rouge that year. Yes, 41-6.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Yep, at this point I would rather beat LSU than anyone other than OM just because of this VooDoo curse hold they seem to have over us. Even in 1998 when we won the West where we finished 8-3 and they finished 3-8 they beat us 41-6 in Baton Rouge that year. Yes, 41-6.

Yep, I was there. Never dreamed we'd go on to win the West. I think we scored first in that game, and then LSU scored 41 unanswered. May be mistaken though.

LC Dawg
07-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Exactly. Some of the younger fans get upset with fans like me who haven't had a lot of confidence in us beating LSU and say we have that same ole poor little MSU attitude but it's hard to forget some of the shit like that 41-6 beatdown. I walked into that stadium that day with a lot of confidence in our team. We took another beating one time in the rain down there. I think it was '92 or '94 but I could be wrong. I don't remember everything about it because of alcohol consumption but I do remember it was miserable.

Pollodawg
07-25-2014, 10:24 AM
I am more than ready for the LSU streak to be over. Mullen has to know that it all hinges there. He has to do everything he and the team possibly can to win that one.

Political Hack
07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
it's just another game on the schedule in 2014. win at least 1 of AU, LSU, and Bama and I'll be pleased. Win 2 of those 3 I'll be happy. Win 3 of those 3 and I'll be sitting club level come playoffs.

codeDawg
07-25-2014, 10:53 AM
LSU is also one of the most consistent programs in the division over the past 20 years. They have won the west 8 of the past 20 years with 3 national championships in that time. We have been a pretty pitiful program most of that time.

This year is our year. This is the worst LSU team they have fielded in that time, and this is one of, if not our best.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Yep, I was there. Never dreamed we'd go on to win the West. I think we scored first in that game, and then LSU scored 41 unanswered. May be mistaken though.

They were 4-7 but really that's neither here nor there. They had a bad year and still trounced us. They didn't win another game after us.

They started off 3-0, beating Arkansas State (4-8), Auburn (3-8), and Idaho (9-3). Then they rattled of 3 straight losses, Georgia (9-3), Florida (10-2), and Kentucky (7-5), before we came to town for our spanking, making them 4-3. They never won again that season, losing to Ole Miss (7-5), Alabama (7-5), Notre Dame (9-3), and Arkansas (9-3). With the exception of Florida (22-10) and Arkansas (41-14), they lost the other 5 games by a combined total of 19 points which is less than 4 pts per contest. Hmmm, it also seems that 9 of their 11 opponents went to bowl games...nine. They combined record of the seven that beat them was 58-26.

Now, that I look at that, it appears they really didn't suck. They were a competitive 4-7 as opposed to a sorry 4-7. They just lost the close ones.

***Uh Oh, does that mean they were unlucky? Don't tell Rebel Bruiser. Wait, do tell him...their win over LSU shouldn't count cause the Tigers were just unlucky***

blacklistedbully
07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Exactly. Some of the younger fans get upset with fans like me who haven't had a lot of confidence in us beating LSU and say we have that same ole poor little MSU attitude but it's hard to forget some of the shit like that 41-6 beatdown. I walked into that stadium that day with a lot of confidence in our team. We took another beating one time in the rain down there. I think it was '92 or '94 but I could be wrong. I don't remember everything about it because of alcohol consumption but I do remember it was miserable.

During my time at State, it was USM that had our number, no matter how good we were. In 1980, the year we beat #1 Bama 6-3, beat AU, OM, Miami, ripped LSU & went 5-1 (losing a heart-breaker @ UF) in the SEC, we lost to USM 42-14 in Starkville for Homecoming!

Our frustration level with USM was VERY high in those days. In '81 we rolled up over 500 yards of offense, and kept them on their side of the 50 the entire game except for a fumbled punt or kick-off return, which they cashed in for a 7-6 win in Jackson. It just never seemed to matter what we did, they were just going to beat us.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 12:23 PM
During my time at State, it was USM that had our number, no matter how good we were. In 1980, the year we beat #1 Bama 6-3, beat AU, OM, Miami, ripped LSU & went 5-1 (losing a heart-breaker @ UF) in the SEC, we lost to USM 42-14 in Starkville for Homecoming!

Our frustration level with USM was VERY high in those days. In '81 we rolled up over 500 yards of offense, and kept them on their side of the 50 the entire game except for a fumbled punt or kick-off return, which they cashed in for a 7-6 win in Jackson. It just never seemed to matter what we did, they were just going to beat us.

I remember going with my parents to the '83 game in Jackson when they beat us 31-6. It was one of the handful of times I've ever heard my dad cuss.

Those years are the reason I want us to beat the bullsnot out of them this year. Short of getting good players injured I don't wanna pull any punches. Put in the 2nd string, 3rd string if necessary, but tell them to keep pounding as if we were losing the game.

ETA: Because, with those people, you have to make sure to leave no shadow of a shadow of a hint of small shadow of a doubt, otherwise all you will hear is how the scoreboard doesn't show how they kicked out butts on the field. We need to win 45-6, 52-3, 49-0, 62-10, something like that, to shut them up. Win 31-11 and all we'll hear is how they would beat us if it was a best 2 of 3 contests.

blacklistedbully
07-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I remember going with my parents to the '83 game in Jackson when they beat us 31-6. It was one of the handful of times I've ever heard my dad cuss.

Those years are the reason I want us to beat the bullsnot out of them this year. Short of getting good players injured I don't wanna pull any punches. Put in the 2nd string, 3rd string if necessary, but tell them to keep pounding as if we were losing the game.

ETA: Because, with those people, you have to make sure to leave no shadow of a shadow of a hint of small shadow of a doubt, otherwise all you will hear is how the scoreboard doesn't show how they kicked out butts on the field. We need to win 45-6, 52-3, 49-0, 62-10, something like that, to shut them up. Win 31-11 and all we'll hear is how they would beat us if it was a best 2 of 3 contests.

I vividly recall a fraternity brother of mine literally demolishing his cowbell on the bench after one of those losses. He was a senior, was sick & tired of losing to those guys, and just realized we'd never beat them in his time there. He smashed that cowbell into the bleacher over and over until it broke apart, cussing up a storm. And Carl was one of the most laid-back guys you'd ever meet. It was just more than he could take.

The Croom Diaries
07-25-2014, 12:54 PM
LSU is also one of the most consistent programs in the division over the past 20 years. They have won the west 8 of the past 20 years with 3 national championships in that time.

Maybe you were blindly throwing stats out there, but those aren't accurate.

They have won the West only 5 times (4 SEC titles) and have 2 national titles.

ETA: the numbers you gave were Florida's.

Also, this was my 1,000th Elitedawgs post. Yay.

Lloyd Christmas
07-25-2014, 01:10 PM
I vividly recall a fraternity brother of mine literally demolishing his cowbell on the bench after one of those losses. He was a senior, was sick & tired of losing to those guys, and just realized we'd never beat them in his time there. He smashed that cowbell into the bleacher over and over until it broke apart, cussing up a storm. And Carl was one of the most laid-back guys you'd ever meet. It was just more than he could take.

I have this exact same story when we lost to them on the goal line in 2009. My friend was scaring the hell out of every person within a ten yard radius as he shredded his cowbell to pieces against the bleachers. Then some Corndog made the mistake of "tigerbaiting" him when we were walking through the breezeway after the game. Rough day.

codeDawg
07-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe you were blindly throwing stats out there, but those aren't accurate.

They have won the West only 5 times (4 SEC titles) and have 2 national titles.

ETA: the numbers you gave were Florida's.

Also, this was my 1,000th Elitedawgs post. Yay.

Sorry, read the LSU wiki page too quickly. Three of the West titles was a "co-championship" they lost the tiebreakers to Arkansas, Auburn, and Bama (read: not championships), and the NC's were appearances, one of which they lost to Bama.

But the point stands. They have been a constant top team in the division, and we have been mostly awful to mediocre. We are not who we have been this year, and they are not who they have been.

Reason2succeed
07-25-2014, 08:38 PM
I agree that I hate LSU and their streak against us. IT MUST STOP THIS YEAR!!! I don't believe in voodoo (that much) so there must be a logical explanation of why we have lost to LSU so much. I believe that it is because LSU has historically been both a balanced offensive and balanced defensive team. Meanwhile State has always been a run-oriented team which feeds right into LSU's wheelhouse. In order to beat LSU a team must have a passing game that will keep their massive DLs honest and open up lanes for a running game. State simply has not had that. Dak Prescott and the returning receiving talent is the key to getting over this hump.

On top of this LSU has had two top tier coaches since Gerry DiNardo and our last victory. Coaches that beat LSU have to gamble a bit. Tommy Tuberville and Hugh Freeze come to mind which further explains why TSUN has beaten LSU more recently. Jackie Sherrill, Sly Croom and even Dan Mullen are pretty predictable as coaches.

Last year our offense hung in there with LSU but this year I expect fireworks. If necessary Mullen must be willing to roll the dice because that is the only way that such a balanced team is beaten.

RougeDawg
07-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree that I hate LSU and their streak against us. IT MUST STOP THIS YEAR!!! I don't believe in voodoo (that much) so there must be a logical explanation of why we have lost to LSU so much. I believe that it is because LSU has historically been both a balanced offensive and balanced defensive team. Meanwhile State has always been a run-oriented team which feeds right into LSU's wheelhouse. In order to beat LSU a team must have a passing game that will keep their massive DLs honest and open up lanes for a running game. State simply has not had that. Dak Prescott and the returning receiving talent is the key to getting over this hump.

On top of this LSU has had two top tier coaches since Gerry DiNardo and our last victory. Coaches that beat LSU have to gamble a bit. Tommy Tuberville and Hugh Freeze come to mind which further explains why TSUN has beaten LSU more recently. Jackie Sherrill, Sly Croom and even Dan Mullen are pretty predictable as coaches.

Last year our offense hung in there with LSU but this year I expect fireworks. If necessary Mullen must be willing to roll the dice because that is the only way that such a balanced team is beaten.

This guy is on to something. We've never ha a passing threat at state. We have been a one dimensional offense for most of our football days. It's not hard to stop something you know is coming.

TUSK
07-26-2014, 04:29 PM
As long as miles is coaching, y'all will have a chance to beat lsu.

I hope he stays in BR forever.

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Here's the deal with LSU going back to 1992 for us.

During the 1990's Jackie had the philosophy that "you could only get a team up for three games a year." Which I absolutely HATED. Anyway, two of those game every year were Ole Miss and Alabama who we usually played very competitively if we also won a few. My guess is the other team varied. But what I do know is LSU WASN'T one of the three. I could tell by how we played them. And on top of that, Arkansas wasn't one of Jackie's three either- we usually played them like garbage as well.

Then LSU hired Saban, we hired Croom. And the results have been as expected.

Todd4State
07-26-2014, 04:55 PM

The problem is when we gamble, it usually blows up in our face. Tyson Lee jump pass.

LSU is more of a rival for Ole Miss than they are for us. I'm not sure that LSU realizes this though, hence why they come out flat against them sometimes and seem shocked that they won a trophy when they beat Ole Miss.

FISHDAWG
07-26-2014, 07:30 PM

and then lost to them in Jackson the next year