PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have any additional info on when ole miss killed our mascot?

Bully13
07-25-2014, 12:20 AM
How much validity is there to the "gold finger" story on that? I've got a post here on the history of how the English Bulldog became our mascot. great write up by the the author. but not much other than a glimmer on when ole miss fans killed one of our Bulldogs. painted him red and blue which killed him. any validity to that story? anybody got any true shit on that?

other shit that makes me hate ole miss:

1. killing our Bully (I know, previously mentioned but I wanted to put it on the top)

2. hiring PI'S on our recruiting then an adultrous ole miss whore sleeping with an NCAA investigator to influence the "investigation"

3. Bucky the beaver telling MSU commits he was "worried about their souls" if they went to MSU.

4. just out right arrogance. looking at their record vs MSU over the last 15 or 20 years and saying the things they do would make you think they won the last 15 national championships and MSU has never won an Egg Bowl

And they have the audacity to question our "hatred"? damn....just damn..

any other "reasons to hate ole miss" would be greatly appreciated.

http://andspeakingofwhich.blogspot.com/2012/04/bully.html

Todd4State
07-25-2014, 12:34 AM
I vaguely remember that story about Ole Miss killing Bully. If my memory serves me correct, it happened in the 50's or early 60's, so it was a LONG time ago.

Frats and students back then did that kind of crap- and it was probably stopped in part because of stuff like Bully being killed.

MSUDawg4Life
07-25-2014, 12:51 AM
I don't think it's true that Ole Miss killed Bully. Back then Bully roamed campus freely and was hit by a bus.

The Death of Bully (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/mississippi-state-university-happenings-on-campus-pop-culture-history/2013/7/27/4558412/the-death-of-bully-i-in-1939-rocked-campus-and-the-maroon-and-white)

This is the first I've heard of Ole Miss being a part of the story in any way. I guess that's what happens when a story gets told and retold. It gets warped and twisted ... with a few lies thrown in.

Offshore Dawg
07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
I was born in 1950 and I remember a story about some scum frat boys taking bully and beating the dog to death with baseball bats, or maybe ax handles. And yes this did happen I just can't remember the details. This is where my hatred for those pieces of shit, low life ass lickers started.

engie
07-25-2014, 07:18 AM
That's a different Bully.

The first 2 were actually killed by cars.

PassInterference
07-25-2014, 07:26 AM
In the 60s Bully was kidnapped, painted red & blue, and released at a MSU-OM basketball game. That bully died of lead poisoning from the paint. I seriously doubt they meant to kill that Bully.

engie
07-25-2014, 07:31 AM
In the 60s Bully was kidnapped, painted red & blue, and released at a MSU-OM basketball game. That bully died of lead poisoning from the paint. I seriously doubt they meant to kill that Bully.

This is the correct story. Good luck finding true sources online about it. I've tried before....

PassInterference
07-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I heard it from a man who was a student at that time.

AFDawg
07-25-2014, 11:02 AM
My uncle, the only family member to go to Ole Miss, was involved in a Bully theft. It would have been in the mid to late sixties. From what I recall, the way he told it they took the dog back after a few days. My uncle died a few years back so his version is lost to time. But I think Bully was kidnapped a number of times back in the day.

But they're not our real rivals.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
My dad told me that story but I thought he was only painted red.

Here's an interesting factoid. Officially the minimum prison term for stealing a dog in Mississippi is one year, specifically at Parchman, not a regional or local jail. I wonder if that is in any way related. When there is a seemingly odd law and/or penalty it's almost always got a reason behind it that made perfect sense at the time. Perhaps such a stiff penalty was a deterrent for this. IDK.

quickstrike2
07-25-2014, 11:13 AM
They need to go steal their real rivals mascot, LSU.

BulldogBear
07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
They need to go steal their real rivals mascot, LSU.

And they could do a video memorial tribute about the (insert fraternity name) pledges who ALMOST painted Mike the Tiger.

engie
07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
My dad told me that story but I thought he was only painted red.

Here's an interesting factoid. Officially the minimum prison term for stealing a dog in Mississippi is one year, specifically at Parchman, not a regional or local jail. I wonder if that is in any way related. When there is a seemingly odd law and/or penalty it's almost always got a reason behind it that made perfect sense at the time. Perhaps such a stiff penalty was a deterrent for this. IDK.

We didn't get 4-lane highways into Starkville until 2004-2006. Safe to say that we didn't have the legislative juice in the 60s to push something like that thru, even if we had wanted to...

quickstrike2
07-25-2014, 01:06 PM
And they could do a video memorial tribute about the (insert fraternity name) pledges who ALMOST painted Mike the Tiger.

I would supply the paint.