PDA

View Full Version : Mullen has it figured out

pdawg10msu
07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
It's funny, every time northern miss thinks there about to get some momentum Dan slaps the beaver with his d**k and grabs that momentum back. I think he has finally figured it out. Not only are we winning in the field, we're starting to win on the recruiting trail as we'll! It just pisses northern miss off to! I love it!

starkvegasdawg
07-24-2014, 01:46 PM
He's not slapping the beaver. He's doing this to it:

http://www.distractify.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/07//giphy.gif

MSUDawg4Life
07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
It's funny how they tweet that they "might" get somebody. We only post after something is actually done.

codeDawg
07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
This kind of in-state whipping doesn't happen unless something is brewing at the school getting whipped. There are just too many things that keep either school from dominating like this. Something is up, up north. NCAA, internal problems, something does not smell right.

thunderclap
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Maybe since that honeymoon is over, high school coaches and players are just beginning to see through the bullshit.

engie
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
He's definitely taken a step back, assessed his shortcomings and our complaints, and addressed them to the best of his ability. He's gone a long way toward getting me off the fence and back in his corner from the end of the last game this past year to right now.

- Paid assistants
- Learn(ing) to win the press conference
- Took Hevesy off the trail in MS. Martinas Rankin is his only primary in the state.
- Put our best recruiters on everybody.
- Answer when OM plays their momentum cards
- Creating "family" with recruiting classes -- making them much more likely to stick together
- Turned over ST duty
- Took full control of the offense
- Recruiting hard and early
- Accepting commitments early

The list goes on really...

headcoach98
07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Maybe since that honeymoon is over, high school coaches and players are just beginning to see through the bullshit.

This I agree with.

headcoach98
07-24-2014, 02:13 PM
He's definitely taken a step back, assessed his shortcomings and our complaints, and addressed them to the best of his ability. He's gone a long way toward getting me off the fence and back in his corner from the end of the last game this past year to right now.

- Paid assistants
- Took Hevesy off the trail in MS. Martinas Rankin is his only primary in the state.
- Creating "family" with recruiting classes -- making them much more likely to stick together
- Turned over ST duty

Good call.

Eric Nies Grind Time
07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Ole Miss is shaping up to have a nice class in 2016.

I knew their 2015 class would be down...but they are struggling more than I thought they would.

DudyDawg
07-24-2014, 02:40 PM
This has to be the big one for me that I'm noticing a lot of. He's marketing this class, both to us and the recruits, that they are joining as a family and a group of guys, causing them to not only get excited about playing for State but for playing with each other. He's not just pitching join this class anymore, its join this group of friends/family/brothers or whatever you want to call it.

pdawg10msu
07-24-2014, 02:41 PM

- Paid assistants
- Turned over ST duty

And this is a reason our football program is growing.

Pollodawg
07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
I am lost. Did Dan do something to further his humiliation and dominance of OM since that tweet from them about the bigfish, or is this overall we're talking about?

RealHastings
07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Ole Miss is shaping up to have a nice class in 2016.

I knew their 2015 class would be down...but they are struggling more than I thought they would.

A lot can change between now and NSD of '16. Wins will play the biggest role in their successes. After they go 6-6 or 7-5 this year, then we'll see how good their big '16 class looks..

GreenheadDawg
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
A lot can change between now and NSD of '16. Wins will play the biggest role in their successes. After they go 6-6 or 7-5 this year, then we'll see how good their big '16 class looks..

What he said. Who gives a shit about OM's 2016 class

codeDawg
07-24-2014, 03:40 PM

They have two guys from Oxford and another from Panola Co. committed. If they can't pull those kids, they have issues even if those guys are really talented.

BiscuitEater
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
- Paid assistants

EXCEPT 'Paid assistants.' Looked at the list of 'Top 25 Paid SEC Assistants' and there are zero Mississippi State Coaches. And, State has the absolute lowest paid Football Staff in the SEC ... dead last.

If we have the '14 season many are predicting, we had better bump up both Dan AND his assistants. Last I looked, Dan was last or next to last WRT pay in the SEC after Bucky got a raise.

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Mullen hasn't figured anything out, but he has adjusted and this is the rewards you get as a program when you hire the right coach and have him in place for over 5 years.

Coaches are always tweaking and reinventing their way of recruiting, and the longer they are at a school, the more likely they are to find their niche.

However, The key to all this is understanding that recruiting is a game of punching, getting counter punched, and punching against. We are fooling ourselves if we think Freeze and company won't make adjustments themselves in an effort to regain momentum. That's why it is so important for our staff, boosters, and fans to not get complacent and continue to evolve, adjust, and push the envelope of what is possible at MSU.

maroonmania
07-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Well heck, actually a lot can change between now and NSD of '15 though I feel the vast majority of the guys we have will stay loyal to us. My biggest fear in recruiting is if we were to lose Geoff Collins off the staff after this season. That would sting and might potentially make some defensive guys in particular rethink their commitment.

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Well heck, actually a lot can change between now and NSD of '15 though I feel the vast majority of the guys we have will stay loyal to us. My biggest fear in recruiting is if we were to lose Geoff Collins off the staff after this season. That would sting and might potentially make some defensive guys in particular rethink their commitment.

With this and the past few defensive recruiting classes, I'm don't know where Geoff Collins would go and have a better chance of putting together a top flight defense. I only see him leaving for a head coaching gig or the NFL.

maroonmania
07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
With this and the past few defensive recruiting classes, I'm don't know where Geoff Collins would go and have a better chance of putting together a top flight defense. I only see him leaving for a head coaching gig or the NFL.

That's exactly it, if we have another Top 5 SEC defense this year (and I expect we will), I could absolutely see Collins being offered a HC gig. Probably not in the Big 5 conferences but certainly the AAC, CUSA or Sun Belt teams are all possibilities.

bulldawg28
07-24-2014, 05:34 PM

- Paid assistants
- Turned over ST duty

I'm sure he's glad your in his corner...lol. I kid bro calm down.

engie
07-24-2014, 05:40 PM
EXCEPT 'Paid assistants.' Looked at the list of 'Top 25 Paid SEC Assistants' and there are zero Mississippi State Coaches. And, State has the absolute lowest paid Football Staff in the SEC ... dead last.

If we have the '14 season many are predicting, we had better bump up both Dan AND his assistants. Last I looked, Dan was last or next to last WRT pay in the SEC after Bucky got a raise.

You need to find an updated list. That was one of the bigger stories of the offseason...
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=209381494

The other assistants got raises as well...

engie
07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
That's exactly it, if we have another Top 5 SEC defense this year (and I expect we will), I could absolutely see Collins being offered a HC gig. Probably not in the Big 5 conferences but certainly the AAC, CUSA or Sun Belt teams are all possibilities.

He's already been offered a couple of those jobs...

He's holding out for a bigtime opportunity. And why shouldn't he? He's got a tremendous core of talent on that side and should be able to be consistently very good over there. He's getting paid more than most of those head coaches -- with the ability to get bumped higher...

engie
07-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm sure he's glad your in his corner...lol. I kid bro calm down.

Ask me again the first time he blows a big game we should win late...

Every year when there has been grumbling during the season -- he's stepped back and made most of the changes people ask for in the offseason.

All that's left really is the Hevesy, Sallach, and "to-be-seen" special teams situations...

bulldawg28
07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Ask me again the first time he blows a big game we should win late...

Every year when there has been grumbling during the season -- he's stepped back and made most of the changes people ask for in the offseason.

All that's left really is the Hevesy, Sallach, and "to-be-seen" special teams situations...

This doesn't sound like you've gotten off the fence.....Get off the fence broham!!! I agree that Mullen had made needed changes. However, I don't think he'll let go of Hevesy which I don't think I'd a deal breaker. You have to have loyalty and to me it proves he's loyal. Hevesy hasn't cost us anything. Again, I feel you leaning. Welcome back.

Dallas_Dawg
07-24-2014, 06:15 PM

- Paid assistants
- Turned over ST duty

I agree on all points. This proves that he is adapting while learning on the job. He is figuring out a way to best run this program which isn't easy to do. Crooms wouldn't adapt and therefore we got rid of him.
We all have to learn and grow at our own jobs, or else we get our asses fired too. Mullen is smart enough to know that he can't stay stuck in his ways and that's going to serve him well. It's an exciting time to be a bulldog.

The Federalist Engineer
07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Engie, can you explain the Hevesy in Mississippi comment. Is he too much of a Yankee to relate to people down south?

Bully13
07-24-2014, 11:15 PM
He's not slapping the beaver. He's doing this to it:

http://www.distractify.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/07//giphy.gif

OMG. that is the funniest cartoon clip in the history of the world

Dirtbagdawg
07-25-2014, 01:56 AM
You can add leo to the........I've said to much. Carry on

TrueMaroon
07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
You can add leo to the........I've said to much. Carry on

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/yesjacknicholson.gif